Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Yea a scared dog the size of a bread box is a real serious life threatening situation.

It is if it runs out into traffic on the Interstate.  Ever seen what happens when a dog stops in the middle of a lane?  I have, and almost a dozen cars hit each other.  No one was killed, but it could have easily happened.

And, are the cops just supposed to let animals attack them?  Maybe they should have killed it before it attacked the officer.z
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm sorry, maybe they had to do it, but don't resort to this crap:

“This was a little dog but they have a lot of jaw pressure,” Hageman said.

Be a man for goodness sakes. An officer who is concerned with the jaw pressure of an 11 pound dog needs his man card revoked.

Jaw pressure on an 11 pound dog.  Good one.

My parents' 10 lb Shih tzu mix bit me practically every freakin' day and hardly ever broke the skin.

Give me a break.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#3]
"The dog was a threat" my ass! What a bunch of horseshit!

My dad has a Shi Tzu named Princess. Whenever they leave the house Princess has to go in her cage, but she never goes willingly. She's fast, she bites and she is resistant, but it only takes my 11 year old brother about 45 seconds to catch her and lock her up.

Fuckin' stupid ass cop just didn't want to be bothered and was pissed about getting his finger bit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Its not just "cops want to kill dogs"...it the "us-versus-them" mentality that cops have that irks some of us....

Like the little old lady in NO the cops put the beat-down on. Let them kill (11 lb?) dogs with impunity; where does it progress from there?

Thems are us!!!  
Seriously, just reading the situation as laid out in the article, I can see where the police were justified. Just like when I watched the lil' ol' lady in NO get taken down I knew the cops were wrong. But I refuse to lump one group of LEO with another just because they all wear guns to work.
You do realize cops are born, not hatched right?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Loose animal on a freeway is a big hazard.  Too many people would try to avoid it leading to accidents.  Not worth it.  I bet the copw would rather pick up a dead dog rather than pick a family out of a wreck.  Cops were justified and just following SOP's as they exist in many communities around the country.

Bulllllll-shit!

Why aren't the cops patrolling the freeways shoot Racoons, Possums, Deer and other animals?

They are all MUCH bigger than a damn Shi Tzu and I see their dead carcasses on the freeway all the time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its not just "cops want to kill dogs"...it the "us-versus-them" mentality that cops have that irks some of us....

Like the little old lady in NO the cops put the beat-down on. Let them kill (11 lb?) dogs with impunity; where does it progress from there?

Thems are us!!!  
Seriously, just reading the situation as laid out in the article, I can see where the police were justified. Just like when I watched the lil' ol' lady in NO get taken down I knew the cops were wrong. But I refuse to lump one group of LEO with another just because they all wear guns to work.
You do realize cops are born, not hatched right?

Right, but you can't deny the us vs. them syndrome exists.

And the lies that go hand-in-hand with it:“This was a little dog but they have a lot of jaw pressure”

Last year some local cops shot a man who was threatening them with a "deadly weapon" as he was fleeing from them. The "weapon"? The prong thing on the handcuff that completes the circle. According to bystanders, the verteran cop called out for the rookie to "cap him!" It was declared a "good shoot"
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#7]
" man card "  thats funny.

I say fuck the dog...  leash law anyone?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#8]
As I said, the dog does present a hazard on the freeway.  Shoot em all if you can't quickly corral them.  Most drivers will swerve or slam on the brakes as a reflex action.  A friend of minerolled his Jeep trying to avoid a cat that had jumped, or was thrown,  from the vehicle in fornt of him.  He acted instinctively to something not anticipated.  

Drivers should have to take a mandatory drivers course in this country.  It ought to cost about $2,500 and train you how to properly drive a car.  I log about 35,000 milesa year on the road and the number of dumb ass drivers out there is astounding.   I would bet that not one in 10 members of this board even know how to properly drive on a freeway and what to be aware of as they drive it.

I feel safer on the Autobahn on Germany where I can drive 150mph than on I90 where the speed limit is 65.   At least in Germany, slow cars are in the proper lanes, drivers are better trained and they know the rules of the road and follow them.  I have seen a car stay in the passing lane for over 175 miles.  Everybody was forced to pass on ther ight in order to get around.  She would speed up band slow downandgenerally succeed in pissing off every driver that encountered.  As usual you can count on these types of drivers to be either from Vermont or Mass.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Right, but you can't deny the us vs. them syndrome exists.

True, it does exist in a lot of cases. I go off my experiences with  LE's who I know or deal with. The syndrome you speak of seems to be most active in young to mid-career officers, who have had their faith in humanity shaken by what they deal with regularly. The old-timers have seen it all, and tend to take things a lot slower.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Jesus, a shitzu BIT OFF THE TOP OF SOMEONE"S INDEX FINGER?? THAT IS ONE STRONG BITE!!!

- rem
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm usually one of the first to cry "foul!" when it comes to cops stompin' the dogs, but this time I'm not.

If what appears to be a stray with no collar bites me then it's getting tested for rabies.  It is my understanding the dog must be dead for that test.  Either way the poor little biter will be kept from leaving.

Bad situation all around.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Is the little old lady responsible for the costs of all accidents her dog caused?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:43:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Is the little old lady responsible for the costs of all accidents her dog caused?

What accidents would you be referring to?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What accidents would you be referring to?

Maybe the potential of damage from the pass through from the idiot shooting the dog
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#15]
A dog biscuit could have saved alot of paperwork
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#16]
If the old bitch knew how to drive she wouldn't have gotten into a wreck, and the dog would still be with us.  Probably one of those old bluehairs that takes her goofy lapdog with her everywhere she goes! Damn those type of people annoy me as much as the soccer moms that breastfeed in restaurants.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Be a man for goodness sakes. An officer who is concerned with the jaw pressure of an 11 pound dog needs his man card revoked.

I have been bitten by Shi-Tzus myself. How do I put this? Uuuh, well, uuuuh, . . . . not a major threat to life and limb.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Hey people, I think some of you lost sight of reality. It's just a fuckin' dog. 11lbs or 110lbs, it's a damn animal. I love my dog, but if she ever bit anybody she would get the short walk in the woods with me. Of course there are exceptions to that statement, but not too many. If the dog was a risk to traffic on the roadway, or even a potential risk, then I'm glad the officer had the guts to put her down. This whole " Cops only want to kill dogs" shit is annoying. By the way, yap dogs tend to be less friendly as a whole, and a hell of a lot more likely to bite.  Plenty of people carry scars for life from their grandma's little "Precious".

Sorry for Mrs. Kiff's suffering, BTW.

I have been bitten by that breed. I can assure you it never left a scar. Anyone who is scared of these dogs will be found standing on the kitchen table when a spider walks by.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
" man card "  thats funny.

I say fuck the dog...  leash law anyone?

Read the article, anyone?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#20]
It puts the lotion on.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Wonder if the cops stayed around to shoot all the rabbits and other varmits they may have strayed onto the freeway to cause more accidents since they seem to have been so concerned with this ???

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Really a JBT shot the little doggie?

Shih Tzu-- not.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Keep your damn dog on a leash, justified shooting. when will the cop bashing stop?? should be the question.

Did you even BOTHER to FUCKING READ the article?
ACCIDENT.
Owner to hospital.
Dog slipped out of leash.

Oh sorry, I'll get a warning from a mod, so I better say good shooting the next time you go to qualify at the local dog pound/SPCA/Humane Society/Animal Shelter/dog boarding kennel.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Pussies.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Personally, I have never seen a Shi-Tzu that I would be afraid of capturing with my bare hands, if necessary.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
God forbid they use some sense of judgement.

The thing was 11 pounds.  Do people not know how to handle a dog that doesn't want to be handled?  Its not hard.

I swear its a requirement that cops must be willing to shoot dogs before they get a badge.

They practice at the police academey.

We use blue UN helmet targets- they use Cocker Spaniel targets. Different strokes............
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#27]
BAN SHIH TZU's!!!!! It is for the children.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:52:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Let's be serious now, dogs running in traffic (no matter how big or small) are extremely dangerous.  Every time I've seen a live animal on the street, some moron swerves, slams on his brakes, gets rear-ended, or worse.

Other varmints that are often seen as road kill (rabbits, racoons, armadillos, etc) generally don't cause accidents.  Why?  They are out at night, drivers don't see and attempt to avoid them, they just run them over.  No accident.

Large animals are dangerous to hit.  Deer have killed a lot of drivers.  That's life.

However, the argument that "you don't see police out shooting racoons or deer on the highway" is not logical.  Think about it, how often do you see a live wild animal on the road?  Almost never.  They get hit and killed at night, or run away into the woods.  They don't wait around for the cops to show up and shoot them.  A dog, however, who is comfortable around people, might wander around the road, causing accidents.

If an officer did find a deer in traffic (sick, injured, confused), I'd expect them to shoot it if they could not easily scare it away.

Oh, one more thing.  I'm sick of all you people with pets that think they are the same as children.  Only a non-parent would make that analogy.  "Oh, I know how hard it is with a sick child at home, I have a dog with diabetes." or "My dogs are my children!"  Yea, right, what ever you want to think.  Don't get me wrong, I love my dogs, but that love is insignificant compared to my love for my family.

I feel bad for Precious and Ms. Kiff.  But hey, that's life.  Deal with it.

Sorry for the rant. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#29]
What a bunch of pussies.

A Shih-Tzu??????

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
God forbid they use some sense of judgement.

The thing was 11 pounds.  Do people not know how to handle a dog that doesn't want to be handled?  Its not hard.

I swear its a requirement that cops must be willing to shoot dogs before they get a badge.

They practice at the police academey.

I missed that course.  And I must have somehow missed seeing all of the dog shaped targets at the range.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#31]
They should have used a trained St Bernard to hunt it down and pick it up in his big mouth
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Way back when I was an Army Military Policeman at an unnamed installation...

One of the patrols brings in this little white poodle wearing the requisite reg leather collar, no tags.  Found dog, running loose.  It's not exactly vicious, but is a snarling yappy little dog.  We don't have a place to put him until the vet clinic opens at 8.  So they take the desk clerk's pistol lanyard and use it as a leash and tie the dog to the back porch of the MP station.  There's a video camera on the porch and the dog is in the field of view.

About an hour later, a patrol goes in the station and asks why is there a dead dog tied to the porch.

Seems the poodle fell off the porch about 30 seconds after it was tied out there and the lanyard wasn't long enough for the dogs feet to touch the ground.

A review of the video tape showed the dog on camera struggling and choking to death over about 10 minutes.  If anybody in the station had bothered to look at the monitor on the desk they would have seen what was happening.

The dog's owner, who happened to be married to an 0-9 (Lieutenant General, 3 stars), was not in the least pleased.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

How many fingertips do you need to lose before you get your man card back?

Give me a fucking break.

Good shoot.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#34]
They should have tasered it into compliance, good enough for questioning innocent citizens, good enough for a dog.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give me a fucking break.

Good shoot.

I take it you cower from 11 pound dogs? I'll bet you he did not lose a fingertip. Got it nipped, maybe, but he was not disfigured by an 11 pound dog. The public safety issue of a dog wondering around on a icy freeway should be enough. This is just a pathetic attempt by a cop under some pressure to make up an officer safety excuse.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Really a JBT shot the little doggie?

Shih Tzu-- not.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Bulllllll-shit!

Why aren't the cops patrolling the freeways shoot Racoons, Possums, Deer and other animals?

They are all MUCH bigger than a damn Shi Tzu and I see their dead carcasses on the freeway all the time.

Preemptively shooting the deer  and even many of the other animals would be against state law in many states. plenty of the same animals get shot after the fact to put them out of their pain, but thats a specific animal.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#38]
For the love of God all you pussies crying about a rat-dog need to get real.  If it bit you I bet you would not be so sad about its death.  And what if it was your family doing 70mph down the interstate and that dog ran out and caused a wreck and your family got killed? if that hppened all you bitches would be the first ones to yelp about how the police "should have done something to stop that evil little dog"   That cop should get an award for good shooting and for very likley saving human lives.  Besides IT BIT HIM who cares how much damage it did when a dog bites a person it is game over for the dog end of story.  If your dog bites me it dies and if my dog bites me it dies thats the way it is here in real life.

And fer cryin' out loud if you actually give a shit about little yap dogs like this one you get your man card revoked. period.

Sheesh
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give me a fucking break.

Good shoot.

I take it you cower from 11 pound dogs? I'll bet you he did not lose a fingertip. Got it nipped, maybe, but he was not disfigured by an 11 pound dog. The public safety issue of a dog wondering around on a icy freeway should be enough. This is just a pathetic attempt by a cop under some pressure to make up an officer safety excuse.

No, and neither did the cop.  You're saying he's lying about his finger being bitten off?  I suppose you were there and can verify that?

Good shoot, don't like that opinion?  Tough.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give me a fucking break.

Good shoot.

No, and neither did the cop.  You're saying he's lying about his finger being bitten off?  I suppose you were there and can verify that?

Even if he got his finger bitten off, that wasn't a reason to shoot the dog.

I already said, if you bothered to read, that I agreed it may have been necessary.

Of course, they may have been able to call animal control. How many animal control guys do you see packing? Unless they're well funded they don't have much more than a net, and there ain't too many animal control departments that are high up on a city's funding priority list.

By even bringing it up it makes the cop look like he got bit, got pissed, and shot the dog because of it. If they would have stressed the public safety aspect, there would be less backlash. But considering they weren't smart enough to capture an 11 pound dog that doesn't really surprise me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give me a fucking break.

Good shoot.

Sounds like my kids when they lose an argument.  "Don't like it, tough"
Here's the KILLER BEAST in question for reference again.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Doesn't anyone wear gloves anymore?

I ain't ever seen a Cop that did not have a pair handy.

this whole thing sucks, but it probably has more to do with dealing with a pretty oddball situation for the first time rather than a jbt being a dick.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Of course he lying about his finger being bitten off.

I suspect I know what happen… He went to pick up the dog, the dog nipped him, he got mad and killed the dog, then made that bullshit up to make so sort of justification.

A Shih Tzu is a TOY breed… is not called a toy breed for no reason… it did not bite that idiot and do any real harm.

Good shoot for a hooligan maybe but not a police officer.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Senior Trooper Kirk Freeman had the tip of his finger bitten off, according to the story.

Trooper Don Frerishs shot the dog.

The officer that was bitten DID NOT shoot the dog.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm going to have to cross the blue line on this one.

Dealt with lots of yappy little ankle-biters....this is why I carry a large wool blanket in my trunk and wear kevlar lined gloves on patrol.

Big, aggressive dog = Big DEAD dog.

Anything that's puntable gets the boot a couple of times.  If it hasn't gotten the clue by then, toss the blanket over it and pig-pile the little shit machine.

Then again...you guys have to realize....not all of us coppers are mental geniuses.

Case in point:  I go to do a building search for an armed robbery suspect, who supposedly made entry into an abandoned bldg via a busted window.

Guy I am going in with grabs a hold of the windowsill with all the BUSTED GLASS shards using his bare hand, slices himself to shit.

I look at him and say "gloves, brother...gloves."

He looks back at me, holding his freely bleeding hand and says "They make my hands sweat."

Also, I think there is some sort of IQ requirement for troopers.  Must be < 80...or something like that.  

Sheep
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:Here's the KILLER BEAST in question for reference again.
www.puppydogweb.com/breeders/pic_images/shihtzu_rbeasley.jpg

That thing arouses my primordial KILL IT NOW instinct.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Senior Trooper Kirk Freeman had the tip of his finger bitten off, according to the story.

Trooper Don Frerishs shot the dog.

The officer that was bitten DID NOT shoot the dog.

So cop 2 got mad and shot the dog...

The 2 choices are mad or scared of a toy breed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Id have turned it into a pupu platter served with beer.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give me a fucking break.

Good shoot.

I have dealt with pissed off STs. Without gloves, it goes "Ouch" "Ouch" -- dog under control.

With gloves it goes "Oh, STFU dog." dog under control.

The only real justification I can see is if they couldn't catch him with something like the blanket method mentioned above. This particular breed was bred by the Chinese specifically to look nice and fluffy but be absolutely useless. Intelligence-wise, they are very close to a carrot. It shouldn't be hard to 1) walk up and grab it and let the little shit do its worst while you put it in the crate or 2) get a team with a blanket and surround it.

But then again, maybe it was just running around too fast to even allow that. If one wants to evade you it can be like trying to catch a rat.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top