User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#1]
UCAV time
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#2]
So the AF is going to throw some money at a transatmospheric bomber? Can we try to not copy the Nazis for once?

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:32:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
An Izzy F117?

One of the original Have Blue airframes, IIRC.

My first guess, but I thought the camo was done in shades of blue and grey. And the camo on that bird does look like an Izzy scheme.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Raptor paint

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Consider how revolutionary this plane was when it went public in the 80's.
The first time we all saw it many jaws dropped. An all black plane, sharp angles like never before seen....and invisible to radar.....just wow.

Fast forward.....in a day where the average citizen has a GPS/camera/mp3 player/walkie talkie/cell phone on their belt.....voice activated navigation in their vehicles...wireless internet...where night vision is a common aftermarket accessory for a rifle....

Just try to imagine what our next verisions of 'secret' aircraft are going to be capable of.
Maybe I am way too optimistic, but I tend to think that if this administration did anything in its 8 years, funding for military research will be on the list.

The future of warfare will be mind blowing...and the US will own supremecy like always.
I just wish we would stop selling off old technology to other nations. I would rather see them chop up a 45 million dollar aircraft than give it to someone who could someday use it against us. No one is an ally forever.

Weren't "they" working on real time elctrochromatic 'skin' for the F22 to make it daytime stealth capable?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well that was quick.

Not really the first non-prototype/non test platform flew in 1979 its said.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#8]
What's that old saying?  When they drop off the last B-2 at Monthan the crew will get picked up by a B-52.

Not as farfetched as I once believed
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it true that the B2 bomber has better stealth, handling, range, and payload capacity? If so, I really don't see a whole lot of need for the F-117 anymore. Although I did find the timeline gap in the article a bit disconcerning...the F-117 is scheduled to be bye-bye in two years, but the article appears to suggest that F-22s/UCAVs not being the norm until 10-15 years from now....
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Stealth is SO 80's...

I'm not getting rid of my moonboots.  I don't care who laughs.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Its a shame. I was stationed in Saudi with that aircraft. I'm sad to see it go.

Dharan or KKMC? I saw them at both places, they were a amazment at wonder when we saw them!

In no way was OPSEC violated in my post, for those who are interested
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You think the Chinese got ahold of this badboy back in Bosnia?

Yup.  They let the Chinese and Russians keep the wreckage.  It never would have been shot down if the Air Farce had had the jammer support they needed.  Unfortunatly, someone (quess who) had all the EF-111's scrapped, and the Navy didn't have enough Prowlers to pick up the slack.  I think it's unforgivable that he didn't have the wreckage bombed a few more times.  Even if it was old technology, it was still technology they didnt yet have, but now something they can look at, duplicate, and improve upon.

-K

No doubt.  Its technology is probably old hat and systems have probably been developed to counter it  by China now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#13]
when can I get one at the gun show?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:21:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:02:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Old and busted:

www.dtmedia.co.uk/images/F117.jpg

The new hotness:

Yeah, but how well does it find Sarah Connor?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:42:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Weren't "they" working on real time elctrochromatic 'skin' for the F22 to make it daytime stealth capable?

Didn't I read something about adding a lamp to the belly as it was too dark during the day?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:47:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well that was quick.

+1

Can you say..."Aurora"

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:50:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#19]

I was at End of Trail (The SASS International meet) a few years ago and they were having an air show at Chino just up the road.  There was a pretty solid overcast and the F-117  was flying almost over us and then into the overcast.  So I made the comment, "Oh it turned it's stealth switch on." got a few chuckles and one of the ladies went over to her husband and "Did you see that Dear, I got to see it turn it's stealth switch on." That got a few laughs and a mighty dirty look when her busband explained what really happened.  "It did what?"  "Turned it's stealth switch on.  that's what he said."  "NO, it flew into the clouds."
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm currently stationed at Holloman and have been working with the F-117As for almost 9 years now.   I might get a tear in my eye if I get to salute the last one taking off but I won't really miss it.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top