Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Hustler.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have discovered a few things in my search for a new lawn mower.

• Lawn Mower Dealers are NEVER FUCKING OPEN.
  • Dealerships are open M-F 8a-5p and Sa 9a-12p, Closed Sunday
  • There is almost nothing in stock to look at in the dealership, all of it is ordered in within a few days.
  • There are no real off season/out of season sales.
  • The models don't change so there is no obsolete last years models
  • There is no in-house stock to "blow out inventory reduction" sale
  • Chinese motors are everywhere and it is a $1500+ upgrade to get a non-Chinese motor
  • The more leg work I do on this the less exited I am about actually getting a new mower, I feel like I am voting for Trump here.

View Quote

It pays to be discriminating when it comes to zero turn mower engines. I really can't emphasize that enough.

Equipatron has a great site if you'd like to browse mower engines to get an idea of what is available. https://www.equipatron.com/
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It pays to be discriminating when it comes to zero turn mower engines. I really can't emphasize that enough.

Equipatron has a great site if you'd like to browse mower engines to get an idea of what is available. https://www.equipatron.com/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

• There is almost nothing in stock to look at in the dealership, all of it is ordered in within a few days.
  • Chinese motors are everywhere and it is a $1500+ upgrade to get a non-Chinese motor
  • The more leg work I do on this the less exited I am about actually getting a new mower, I feel like I am voting for Trump here.

The guy has 3/4 of an acre.  He'll put about 5 hrs a year on it.  They make residential models for a reason and this guy is it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The guy has 3/4 of an acre.  He'll put about 5 hrs a year on it.  They make residential models for a reason and this guy is it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand what you are saying. Personally I would prefer to purchase a better product regardless if I could afford to. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In arfcom fashion increase budget around 13 k and get a 72" bad boy mower with the cat diesel.  My brothers step cousin owns a mowing company and he wont buy anything less.

But in truth.  Any of the ones op lined up would work for op.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

That's what I did for my one acre .  I was planning on picking up some other yards though
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I understand what you are saying. Personally I would prefer to purchase a better product regardless if I could afford to. YMMV

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have 3/4 of an acre right now, I am planning on moving further out into the country in a year or two. I do want the better motor because I would like have enough yard to max it out.

I am leaning at throwing some extra money at this and going with the Hustler Raptor SD just because it does have a better motor.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You can get a Kawa powered Scag.

OP..."too much mower"?  Really?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just bought a Dixie Chopper. The Kawasaki motor was the deciding factor between it and a Kohler-powered Scag.

If a Kawasaki motor and welded/fabricated deck are an option, that should be your choice.

You can get a Kawa powered Scag.

OP..."too much mower"?  Really?

Not in the $5k range.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, so I pulled the trigger.
I found a "New Old Stock", early 2016 Hustler Raptor SD 48" with a Kawasaki engine in stock for $3899.

It was a bit more than I had originally wanted to pay but after feedback here and online reviews I ponied up the extra cash especially when I could get that engine.

I bought it this morning at 8am and was breaking it in by 9:30am.

Man this thing is a beast, it cuts like both I have ever used.

Very happy so far.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Scag or Bust.

I shopped 3 different Scag dealers, each one said that they have see less maintenance issues with the Kohler engines than the Kawasaki's. That being said, Scag has one of the best warranties in the industry. I love this thing and was looking forward to mowing today, but it has been raining all night and morning so I probably won't be able to mow until next weekend.

I keep my Bermuda cut at 3" while it is still rooting and snuffin' out some weeds. I was gonna drop it to 2.5" today and I would have gotten some nice stripes out of it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am researching ZTR mowers as well. My 16 year old Craftsman is dying. Looked at $4-5K mowers.

Hustler has the Raptor SD with dual 2800 Hydro. Bad boy around the same. Exmark I have to step up closer to 5K.

The big box mowers are low grade. Most are.sealed hydro systems and not serviceable. Local dealers said mowers sold at box stores they will not work on. Box stores send a guy out.

I am leaning towards a Hustler Raptor SD in 48/54" cut. Overkill for a 1.2 acre lot but hopefully I get 10-15 years out of it.
View Quote

I bought a new 52" Bobcat Pro with a Kawasaki 19hp motor about 13 years ago in that price range. It has been a fantastic and trouble free mower which I use to cut about 4 acres.  I don't think prices on them have gone up much in that time either.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Scag or Bust.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/q87/p720x720/13925447_154448214987458_5200242579337472874_o.jpg

I shopped 3 different Scag dealers, each one said that they have see less maintenance issues with the Kohler engines than the Kawasaki's. That being said, Scag has one of the best warranties in the industry. I love this thing and was looking forward to mowing today, but it has been raining all night and morning so I probably won't be able to mow until next weekend.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14068347_163300760768870_8276086708071825698_o.jpg

I keep my Bermuda cut at 3" while it is still rooting and snuffin' out some weeds. I was gonna drop it to 2.5" today and I would have gotten some nice stripes out of it.
View Quote
I looked at Skags but they were another $1500-$2000 to get into the base models
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Im a fan of husky stuff. However their customer service is the worst. I had trouble starting new leaf blower. I called their tech support amd told them its user error and i just need help starting it. Some indian lady told me it was broke and to take it back. I watched youtube vid i had the cutoff switch in the wrong position, it wasnt marked and the instructions said up position.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Scag or Bust.
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/q87/p720x720/13925447_154448214987458_5200242579337472874_o.jpg

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14068347_163300760768870_8276086708071825698_o.jpg
View Quote

Id cut that yard with a pushmower. What is that 3/4 acre of grass?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been though many and have to say kabota is the best
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scag or Bust.

2.5! Your more than welcome to come push now if you want though!
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have been though many and have to say kabota is the best
View Quote

the chinese "Kabota" machines are just clones.  

get the real deal "Kubota".  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Well, so I pulled the trigger.I found a "New Old Stock", early 2016 Hustler Raptor SD 48" with a Kawasaki engine in stock for $3899.

It was a bit more than I had originally wanted to pay but after feedback here and online reviews I ponied up the extra cash especially when I could get that engine.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i112/noharmnofal/Mobile%20Uploads/D7ECBB51-1A02-4FFE-B0ED-45FF7AB4AD43.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i112/noharmnofal/Mobile%20Uploads/52C85231-ECC1-4D45-B7A6-F624E459B5EF.jpg

I bought it this morning at 8am and was breaking it in by 9:30am.

Man this thing is a beast, it cuts like both I have ever used.

Very happy so far.

View Quote

Nice!  I'm waiting to hear back from the sales guy to set up a demo on an X-One.  Will be picking one up later this year or first thing in the spring.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#18]
My Yard will beat you to death..
When I buy a ZTR this will be it.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Got this a few months ago.. Kubota Z125S with Kohler 25hp engine with 54" deck.. Works great..

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Got this a few months ago.. Kubota Z125S with Kohler 25hp engine with 54" deck.. Works great..

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13151458_1366733510007897_1100137331372279156_n.jpg?oh=e294f078f325f57c9ffbb0e1b3ee54b4&oe=5857374C

View Quote
Nice dog shitter
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top