User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm aware we supplied the mujahadeen (sp) with stingers, but that doesn't mean we supplied or funded the Taliban, who came into power after the Soviets left.
The left always points to the stinger missles to say we funded Osama, ingnoring the fact that Osama's an Arab, the Afghans are not Arabs, and it was the Afghans we were allied with.
Osama went to Afghanistan with his own money and his own agenda.

For probably about the 10th time since 9-11:

BLUF:  US money did go to the groups that eventually became the Taliban and Al Qaeda.  This happened because Pakistan, angry at suspension of US aid due to human rights abuses (Carter suspended), insisted on controlling the transfer of money/supplies through Pakistan into Afghanistan.

Background:

When the Soviets invaded Aghanistan, the US funded the Afghan resistance.

To get money and supplies to the resistance we had to go through Pakistan (other borders being Iran and USSR)

US wanted to fund more secular groups

Pakistan was pissed at US because Carter put trade/aid restrictions on Pakistan because of their poor human rights record

Pakistan's condition to allow supplies through its turf was that it got to be the middleman and choose who got the goods

Pakistan's ISI gave most of the money to Pashtun religous extremists with who the ISI had good ties.

These extremists became the Taliban

Lots of religous zealot Arabs went to join the Jihad in Afghanistan and allied themselves with the Afghan religous extremists so those Arabs probably did receive US money.

Some of the Arab zealots formed Al Qaeda

During the war the US managed to get some aid to groups with less religous affiliation as well, but in smaller amounts.

I think you're arguing that our support had a continued voyage that ended up supporting the Taliban.
I don't know if you're correct or not, but assuming you are that's still a quantum leap from the left saying we created/supported the Taliban.

From what I've read in the past, and I can't produce any quotes or references at this time, most of the Arabs that went to Afghanistan were self funded or supported by various Arab governments under the table.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Everytime Israel sells us out:
(a) it is to our benefit,
(b) we have done it too so Israel doing it is fine, or
(c) Israel did not sell us out and you are an anti-semite, or
(d) all of the above.

It's hard for me to agree that Israel sold us out, when as a nation we've sold ourselves out to China, especially during the bad old days of the Clinton Presidency.

If as a nation we don't care, why should Israel?

So if we have a few traitors, we can no longer stop our alleged allies from selling our secrets as well?  Does that makes sense to anybody else?  Because we have a few traitors, it is OK for all of us to be traitors?

If you think ryann's 'logic' makes sense you are a traitor, and will use any excuse to sell out your own nation in favor of Israel.

How can a nation be a traitor if it deals on behalf of it's own interests?  If you argue that Israel's a traitor, then the traitorous behavior started right here under the Clinton Administration, and continues today.  Since Clinton won two terms, a linear thinker could conclude that the majority of Americans are traitors to themselves....if you've ever shopped at Walmart, hell you're personally a traitor.

I don't like the fact that Israel's dealing with China, but it's hard for me to throw rocks at 'em when I see my own country doing the same thing.

Maybe an Israeli citizen can come on here and accuse you as an American of the same thing you accuse Israel of.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I think you're arguing that our support had a continued voyage that ended up supporting the Taliban.
I don't know if you're correct or not, but assuming you are that's still a quantum leap from the left saying we created/supported the Taliban.

I am not arguing anything, just posting the facts.  I tend not to talk out of my ass too much.  Charlie Wilson's War refers and it's a great read.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]
We need to stop funding countries that stab us in the back with their foreign policy.

Every year we give something like two billion to Israel in aid. Then we turn around and give Syria, Jordan and Egypt an equal amount just to even things out...

That shit needs to stop.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not arguing anything, just posting the facts.  I tend not to talk out of my ass too much.  Charlie Wilson's War refers and it's a great read.

I've only read a couple of things; however, what I have read seems to indicate OBL didn't want our help and had plenty of financing from the Arabian penninsula. Something we actively encouraged.

I've also read our intel officers trained only Afghans.

I would believe that money, given to Pakistan for distribution, probably got into the hands of the Arab Muj. I don't think it was our policy to intentionally fund those groups.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I realize it's a pipe dream, but I wish we could develope energy independence.  That way we could tell all of the two-faced nations over there, it's been real, it's been fun, but it ain't been real fun.

So, we're leaving.  We're going home and we will expend no more of our own precious resources (money and lives) in your area of the world.  Kill each other off if you wish, but bother us no more.

Bring your troubles to our shores and we'll kill the lot of you.

It sounds like a fuckin wet dream.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've only read a couple of things; however, what I have read seems to indicate OBL didn't want our help and had plenty of financing from the Arabian penninsula. Something we actively encouraged.

I've also read our intel officers trained only Afghans.

I would believe that money, given to Pakistan for distribution, probably got into the hands of the Arab Muj. I don't think it was our policy to intentionally fund those groups.

Exactly  

The overwhelming majority of US money that got to undesirable groups did so because the Carter administration wouldn't play Realpolitik.  Zia al Haq was not a nice fellow, but we gave up any leverage on him when we turned the spigot off.  That left us beholden to him when we needed to pass though his country.

99.99% of the folks who scream "US made the Taliban" never mention (if they are even aware of) the reason why the US had so little discretion in where its money went - Pres. Carter's human rights agenda.

Charlie Wilson's War really is a good read.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#10]
We should be on good terms with China, too - there are way too many hard working people there that we can sell stuff to.  That is all.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I realize it's a pipe dream, but I wish we could develope energy independence.  That way we could tell all of the two-faced nations over there, it's been real, it's been fun, but it ain't been real fun.

So, we're leaving.  We're going home and we will expend no more of our own precious resources (money and lives) in your area of the world.  Kill each other off if you wish, but bother us no more.

Bring your troubles to our shores and we'll kill the lot of you.

According to the Energy Dept, the US only gets 11% of its foreign oil from the Middle East...more than 50% comes from Canada and Mexico
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
We need to stop funding countries that stab us in the back with their foreign policy.

Every year we give something like two billion to Israel in aid. Then we turn around and give Syria, Jordan and Egypt an equal amount just to even things out...

That shit needs to stop.

Actually , we give Israel OVER $3 billion .  And NOBODY else gets anything close to that .    
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What makes Israel any worse than us?  Look what we handed to China during the Clinton administration.

Nothin's for real.

That maybe true, but Clinton was always a snake and we knew it.  But for Israel to say they are an ally to us and that live off of our aid and then behind our backs sell the technology to China is unforgiveable.

Also, doesn't Israel know whatever they sell to China, China will develop a countermeasure for and sell to the Russians, where it will show up in Syria / Iran?  You know the same folks who feel Israel should be wiped off the face of the earth?

Actually the same argument could be made for the technology that Loral, under Clinton's tutelage, sold to China.
Clinton endangered Taiwan, S Korea and Japan and Isreal with his wheeling and dealing.
If America can do it, why can't Israel?

Look at this Dubai deal, UAE officially boycotts and calls for the destruction of Israel, yet Bush wanted to do business with them and sell port operations to them.

I guess my point is, what difference does it make what any country does anymore? Nations don't have "friends" they have mutual interests.

I'ts hard for me to condemn Israel when I see how my own country treats some of it's allies.

I missed that in my local news.  Got a link?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm not defending Israel because I served in the IDF, but c'mon guys; at one time or another, everybody is in bed with everybody else.  The US practically armed and funded the Taliban and Al Queda for years during the Iran/Iraq war.  The US also exported arms to the Chinese.  Hell, the Chinese own most of our national debt... and we sold it to them!  They could turn this country's economy off tomorrow!  We do more trade and technology sales with China TODAY than almost any other nation.  The only way for us to stop fighting our own creations is to totally cut ourselves off from the rest of the world which cannot happen in today's global economy.  Don't get me wrong, I have no love for arabs or muslims, but the west did create its own worst enemies...

Wow, so much.....

misinformation.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The US practically armed and funded the Taliban and Al Queda for years during the Iran/Iraq war.

WTF are you talking about?  Get your facts straight.

Every time I hear how the United State funded the Taliban, or Al Queda, or Iraq, I always have to ask-THEN WHY DO ALL THE AFOREMENTIONED COUNTRIES HAVE SOVIET WEAPONRY?
Why ain't Johnny Jihad running around with an M16 instead of an AK?

Such strong opinions formed from such complete ignorance of world affairs, sometimes I read stuff here that makes me think this country is screwed for sure.  How some people manage to stay so completely ignorant after 9/11 is amazing scary.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Boeing, McDonnell Douglas and Lockheed Martin have all been caught and fined for Violating Export Control Laws and Illegally selling China Rocket Technology

So McDonnell Douglas sells CATIC ( China-Aero Technology Import Export Corporation ) Technology and Equipment then the Chinese sell the Technology to Iran  

Isn't that wonderful our own Red-Blooded American Companies have been selling this Advanced Technology ( Ballistic and Cruise Missile Guidance Systems ) to the Highest Bidder for years
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#17]
So once again, we hear nothing but, "Various corporations acted unscrupulously, so Israel should have carte blanche to do so". Ridiculous, but that is the time-honored defense always put forward by the Israel First crowd.

I understand that Israel watches out for Israel first and foremost. I don't begrudge them that. I'm just trying to figure out why those who claim to be patriotic Americans are also watching out for Israel first and foremost. It just doesn't compute.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Nah just stating the obvious

Our own Industrial Military Corporations have Illegally Sold Equipment Tooling and Technology that should have remained within the United States

Where's the Outcry
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That shit needs to stop.

Actually , we give Israel OVER $3 billion .  And NOBODY else gets anything close to that .    

Actually, Carter’s Camp David accords specify that Syria, Egypt and Jordan always get an amount of money equal to what we send to Israel.

Despite the fact that the Camp David Accords have been defunct for the past three decades, the U. S. continues to abide by them. I would call that a mistake of epic proportions. To the tune of something like 175 billion dollars.

If we pull the plug, every one of our “allies” in that theater is going to come back to negotiate. Their governments exist because of that aid money…  giving it up would tank Egypt, Syria and Jordan without ever firing a shot.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That shit needs to stop.

Actually, Carter’s Camp David accords specify that Syria, Egypt and Jordan always get an amount of money equal to what we send to Israel.

Despite the fact that the Camp David Accords have been defunct for the past three decades, the U. S. continues to abide by them. I would call that a mistake of epic proportions. To the tune of something like 175 billion dollars.

If we pull the plug, every one of our “allies” in that theater is going to come back to negotiate. Their governments exist because of that aid money…  giving it up would tank Egypt, Syria and Jordan without ever firing a shot.

Do a Google search for FORIEGN AID TO ISRAEL .   Look at the numbers and more importantly , look at the types of aid and the timing of  it .   Israel gets their money up front at the beginning of the year . NOT quarterly like everybody else . This lets them invest in Treasury notes , etc . and earn interest FROM US .   They are free to use the money any way they wish unlike
other nations that have conditions .      We give them " loans " that are converted to grants  later . This doesn't show up as " Foriegn Aid "  .  They have the sweetest deal going . Oh yeah , they recieve MILLIONS in " private " donations as well .    
        Just do a little research and get the real story .    
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What makes Israel any worse than us?  Look what we handed to China during the Clinton administration.

Nothin's for real.

Not to mention how many weapon systems we've sold to Israel's enemies

The Jordanian AF flies American made F-16's and AH-1 Cobra's,

The Iranians mantain F-4, F-14's and F-16's,

The Saudi Air Force inventory includes F-15's and E-3A AWAC's.

We certainly aren't coming out smelling like roses in the transfer of technlogy department...

Bogus analogy…

ANdy

Tell that to the first Israeli who get killed by that hardware....

It's a bogus analogy…

There was no technology transfer on the equipment you list, all of which is reduced capability. The US DOES NOT sell anything to Israels neighbours that the IDF does not overmatch in capability by a huge margin. That is official US policy.  The Saudi F-15's are 'export clunker models' not the full capability versions the IDF gets.

Ditto, the US can ground all the 'Monkey Models' it sells to the Arabs by cutting off the spares and removing the contract maintenence personnel.

ANdy

You're saying all the aircraft we've sold the Arab Muslims in total doesn't outnumber what Israel has?   The question is pertinent, because all of the Arab states want to wipe Israel off the face of the earth.

Numbers mean shit when one guy is flying state of the art and the other guy aint…

Just a 'heads up' for you ryann, look up the results of the IDF's F-15's going up against the Syrians over the Bekkaa Valley in the mid 80's even though they were heavily outnumbered…

IDF over the Bekkaa Valley

ANdy

I wonder if there's any surviving German tank commanders   reading your statement-the panzers and tigers were far superior to the American Sherman, but the Sherman outnumbered the German tank by something like 5 to 1.......result being on the battlefield the Americans won the tank battles.
There's a lot to be said for technological superiority, but it's not always the deciding factor.
Also state of the art's relative.  I don't even pretend to know much about modern aircraft, but I don't think the Arabs are flying Sopwith Camels against the IDF either.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That shit needs to stop.

Do a Google search for FORIEGN AID TO ISRAEL .   Look at the numbers and more importantly , look at the types of aid and the timing of  it .   Israel gets their money up front at the beginning of the year . NOT quarterly like everybody else . This lets them invest in Treasury notes , etc . and earn interest FROM US .   They are free to use the money any way they wish unlike
other nations that have conditions .      We give them " loans " that are converted to grants  later . This doesn't show up as " Foriegn Aid "  .  They have the sweetest deal going . Oh yeah , they recieve MILLIONS in " private " donations as well .    
        Just do a little research and get the real story .    

What's your problem with them receiving PRIVATE donations?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Man, this super pisses me off! If any war erupts between us and China, no way in HELL I'm serving. I'm not going to give my life fighting the Chinese just because Clinton and some jewbags wanted to stuff their pockets with money.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#24]
But...but...but
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Fuck Israel.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#26]

"   What's your problem with them receiving PRIVATE donations? "

Nothing at all , except it's just another reason that they don't need
MY tax dollars .
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
So once again, we hear nothing but, "Various corporations acted unscrupulously, so Israel should have carte blanche to do so". Ridiculous, but that is the time-honored defense always put forward by the Israel First crowd.

I understand that Israel watches out for Israel first and foremost. I don't begrudge them that. I'm just trying to figure out why those who claim to be patriotic Americans are also watching out for Israel first and foremost. It just doesn't compute.

Kind of reminds me of Tyson when asked what he thought about Don King stealing millions from him he said, "Well at least he's black!"

Anyone who cheats us should be cut off.  

Cheers
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top