BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:24:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How would a police officer be specially trained to go for the throat without hurting the subject? All the chokes we train for are designed to hurt. We do have moves that attack the nek and its pressure points.....is this what you mean?

Precisely. Police officers are trained in moves that are designed to stop a fight or bring about compliance with the minimum possible risk of serious injury to the suspect. It is essentially the same thing as with the ASP or a baton. An officer properly trained will strike major muscle areas as an attempt to bring about compliance without doing serious damage. (Death, broken bones, etc...) Officers are trained not to swing at the head, but untrained people might think you are just supposed to wail on somebody with a baton, and can end up doing serious damage to the person they are beating.

The technique shown in this video was very specific. The officer wasn't delivering a blow to the throat and continuing to push as it may appear...If someone just looks at the video they might think that you just deliver a hard open-handed blow to the throat and keep pushing, which can actually do some damage.

Anything an officer uses for pain compliance or to stop a fight is going to hurt....the difference is that the officer's techniques are typically designed to minimize the risk of serious injury or death to the suspect. Anything can happen, especially when dealing with trustees of modern chemistry, but in general an officer can use one of his techniques on you and once he has the cuffs on you, the only thing that is injured permanently is your pride.

If someone were to try to duplicate this video on the street who didn't know what they were doing, and if they ended up delivering a sharp blow to the adam's apple of a mouthy kid....well....they could end up with a real mess on their hands.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:31:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just a word to 20incher, or a question actually.  Can you stick your thumb through bone in the back of the eye socket?

Bone? Oranges don't have bones!

It is very hard for one human to do with another, so they condition themselves to the repulsion by practicing with an orange held to someone's eye.

Jesus fucking christ people, how many times do I have to say it before I quit getting shit flung my way?

I read it in a book. I already noted that if it is incorrect, then disreguard.

Don't believe everything you read, and don't spread it around as 'training' you know about then. You'll get called on your bullshit here everythime.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:35:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is it just me or was he just showboating for the camera?

"Ahh yeah, looks like he's all amped up"
Besides not taking his L hand out of his pocket, he seemed pretty calm to me.  

My guess is that it has to be risky, if you are off by an inch you might break a windpipe pulling that shit.

If you watch the slow motion video you see that the main force of the officer's blow landed BELOW the throat, which was enough to get the guy off balance, and then the officer slid his hand up to grab the throat and then he finished pushing the guy down from there.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:38:20 AM EDT
[#4]
He grabbed his throat and pushed and swept the front leg at the same time, simple take down. If the white guy had any training and was in a prepared stance that move would have never worked. However, beating up drunks is very easy, especially when you react first.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is it just me or was he just showboating for the camera?

"Ahh yeah, looks like he's all amped up"
Besides not taking his L hand out of his pocket, he seemed pretty calm to me.  

My guess is that it has to be risky, if you are off by an inch you might break a windpipe pulling that shit.

If you watch the slow motion video you see that the main force of the officer's blow landed BELOW the throat, which was enough to get the guy off balance, and then the officer slid his hand up to grab the throat and then he finished pushing the guy down from there.

And if he started to duck, he easily may have struck his windpipe.  

The officer assumes his move will be too fast for him?  Assumption is the mother of fuck-ups.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:05:21 AM EDT
[#6]
couple things here, the kid had his hands in his pockets and was drunk. Had the officer pushed the kid in the forehead he would have fell. Taking a drunk down that has their hands in their pockets is not hard.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I remember a blood choke and a air choke or something like that, isn't blood the outside of the neck, whereas air is grabbing just the wind pipe?

Pretty much. Blood choke is restricting the carotid arteries, air choke is restricting the trachea. It's a whole lot easier to perform a blood choke, and its effects happen a lot quicker (you can hold your breath for a decent amount of time, but when blood flow to your brain is cut off, you pass out fairly soon).
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The most effective way to kill an attacker with your bare hand is by thrusting the thumb into the eye and ripping out as much brain matter as possible.

The most efective way to kill with your bare hands is to type this kind of stuff in a thread. I almost died laughing!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:39:22 AM EDT
[#9]
it's not risky going for the throat if you paid her enough for it
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
last time someone grabbed me by the throat like that I broke their arm just as quick as they grabbed my neck.

Rather than grabbing the cops arm, which is a natural reaction, he should have grabbed the cops hand on his throat, with a firm hold, so the cop could not let go, and with all his might punch the cop full force in the elbow. With he cops hand braced against his neck, pop goes the arm and a fracture occurs. Total dislocation at the elbow joint.

Granted, this must be done just as fast as the cop grabbed the dudes neck, but it will work everytime. I will never grab someone by the throat because in my opinion, if they know how to fight, it can put you at a disadvantage real quick.

glen?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
last time someone grabbed me by the throat like that I broke their arm just as quick as they grabbed my neck.

Rather than grabbing the cops arm, which is a natural reaction, he should have grabbed the cops hand on his throat, with a firm hold, so the cop could not let go, and with all his might punch the cop full force in the elbow. With he cops hand braced against his neck, pop goes the arm and a fracture occurs. Total dislocation at the elbow joint.

Granted, this must be done just as fast as the cop grabbed the dudes neck, but it will work everytime. I will never grab someone by the throat because in my opinion, if they know how to fight, it can put you at a disadvantage real quick.

glen?

Master Yoda?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

glen?

Master Yoda?

Luke?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I remember a blood choke and a air choke or something like that, isn't blood the outside of the neck, whereas air is grabbing just the wind pipe?
Blood is outside of the neck, air is cut off via the windpipe.

Air chokes are pretty ineffective in comparison. Done correctly, they say you only need a few seconds to kill or cause brain damage with a blood choke.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The most effective way to kill an attacker with your bare hand is by thrusting the thumb into the eye and ripping out as much brain matter as possible.

Break through the bone in the eyesocket?  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#15]
My buddy is going through the academy to be a police officer . Hes a good guy, not sure why he wants to be a cop, but anyways, he brought up this video to the guy training him and was told this las vegas metro cop was fired. Going for the throat or eyes is considered use of deadly force. Is this true? Is it true in all states?

Also, I did some asking around about the eye gouging and pulling out brains. A person here seems to think that bone above the eye is cartilage, therefore a thumb can go through it, yet when a person dies it hardens? This part might be bullshit but alot of "fighting" articles seem to indicate you can kill someone going through the eyesocket.

Anyways, any news on whether or not this vegas metro cop was fired?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't think one could get to the brain through the eye socket with just bare hands.  Honestly though, I don't think you'd have to.  I can't imagine anyone would still be fighting after having an eye put out.  Even if they were hopped up on PCP or something, you'd still be at an advantage with them only being able to see out of one eye.  Depth perception and such, not to mention the pain envolved in getting your eyeball smashed in the socket.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

No, no. The best way is to jab your hand thru their shirt, penetrating under the sternum, then up to the heart, which you rip out and show them as they expire.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
This part might be bullshit but alot of "fighting" articles seem to indicate you can kill someone going through the eyesocket.

You kill someone by shutting down the central nervous system.  Since a person can live with a lobotomy, and people have lived with nails and rods and bullets in their head and even part of their brain shot out with bullets (Brady), I would not count on killing someone by just poking into their eye socket with a thumb.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My buddy is going through the academy to be a police officer . Hes a good guy, not sure why he wants to be a cop, but anyways, he brought up this video to the guy training him and was told this las vegas metro cop was fired. Going for the throat or eyes is considered use of deadly force. Is this true? Is it true in all states?

Also, I did some asking around about the eye gouging and pulling out brains. A person here seems to think that bone above the eye is cartilage, therefore a thumb can go through it, yet when a person dies it hardens? This part might be bullshit but alot of "fighting" articles seem to indicate you can kill someone going through the eyesocket.

Anyways, any news on whether or not this vegas metro cop was fired?

Why is that so negative to you? He's a good guy and wants to do a good job. Big issue with you eh?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top