Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Didn't something similar happen just before Gulf War 1.0? They wanted to get rid of the A-10 then Saddam got uppity; then the A-10 proved its worth.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

How mad would you be if you were the guys that shot this?  "I hit it!  I hit it!   Crap, why is it still flying???"
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
you mean like men in the back of the truck Or do you mean all the tanks isil has?

i hate to kill the jerkoff fest here but 30mm really sucks in that theatre which has been proven over and over.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When it comes to just getting out there and trying to locate and destroy targets of opportunity, it is hard to beat the A-10.
you mean like men in the back of the truck Or do you mean all the tanks isil has?

i hate to kill the jerkoff fest here but 30mm really sucks in that theatre which has been proven over and over.

I've never heard that the 30mm DU rounds suck against mobile armor.

Last I heard there was no mobile armor in existence that stands up to that round.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hell, we ought to make More of them!
We've had a far greater need for CAS as opposed to A2A for the last 12 years!

Saint Peter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just keep the damn plane already!  We have nothing else effective to replace it!

Saint Peter

Just build more of the same, it works.  New designs are nice but overrun costs and time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Last I heard there was no mobile armor in existence that stands up to that round.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When it comes to just getting out there and trying to locate and destroy targets of opportunity, it is hard to beat the A-10.

Not a lot of armor to kill, mostly dispersed forces
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

30mm HE rounds probably penetrate into the soft soil/sand before detonating, reducing the blast effect/shrapnel.

No reason to fire DU rounds at soft skin vehicles. It would just be a big machine gun at that point and cause less damage than HE.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in Tucson and have spent a good part of my life here, next to Davis Monthan AFB.  They have been flying overhead since I was a wee lad. My wifes girlfriend is married to an A10 pilot and I have seen them up close.  The warhog is amazing to see in action, its a fucking shame that they wanted to moth ball it in the first place.  Its not really a plane its a friggen giant gattling gun with wings, armor and a stick with seat.  They can get torn to shit and still compleat mission and get home then land safe.  It is known.  They just upgraded these babys and they have years before anything comes close to taking their place. Here is one of the A10 patches I have.
http://imgur.com/Mnxc5Rm

Ugly but well hung.... oh yea
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The HEI used in the GAU-8 is a contact detonating round right? What if we replaced it with a proximity detonating pre-fragmented antipersonnel projectile?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The HEI used in the GAU-8 is a contact detonating round right? What if we replaced it with a proximity detonating pre-fragmented antipersonnel projectile?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

30mm with a radar fuse wouldn't have much HE in it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not looking for blast effects, the HE's only purpose is to get the tungsten BB's up to a lethal velocity.

ETA: Plus with the already high muzzle velocity of the projectile you could tune the prox detonator for more stand off and use it like canister shot, raining 2-3,000 FPS tungsten pellets all over the place.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  you mean like men in the back of the truck Or do you mean all the tanks isil has?

View Quote

Yes, the T-72 and M-1 Abrams that the Islamic State has captured from the Syrian Army and the fleeing rabble formerly known as the Iraqi Army.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just keep the damn plane already!  We have nothing else effective to replace it!
View Quote

We need moar of them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
God forbid we ever engage Russian Tanks, but I hope one lucky pilot gets a chance to fulfill the initial role of that beautiful bastard.
View Quote

I'd bet they have taken Russian tanks before. May not have been driven by Russians at the time though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's wrong with using 30mm AAAV ammo?
The fuse is programmed buy the computer and armed by a device on the muzzle.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes, the T-72 and M-1 Abrams that the Islamic State has captured from the Syrian Army and the fleeing rabble formerly known as the Iraqi Army.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  you mean like men in the back of the truck Or do you mean all the tanks isil has?

PGMs are more effective and the dirty secret is the A10s gun is marginal against modern armor
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Adding the inductive fuze setting would require a massive modification of the GAU would probably be cheaper and easier to put the BMII in the aircraft
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you need a radar on the plane that can give you a precise range to the target, a modified gun that can feed range data to the projectiles as they are fired, and expensive smart projectiles that you are firing at 70 rounds per second.  Might as well drop a smart bomb on them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

PGMs are more effective and the dirty secret is the A10s gun is marginal against modern armor
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think we were crazy enough to sell the Iraqis MODERN armor on their "export version" M-1 Abrams?  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Now you need a radar on the plane that can give you a precise range to the target, a modified gun that can feed range data to the projectiles as they are fired, and expensive smart projectiles that you are firing at 70 rounds per second.  Might as well drop a smart bomb on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Radars are not accurate enough for range this purpose.  The fuze is set to detonate after so many turns, which equates to distance to target and set a split second before firing via induction
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You think we were crazy enough to sell the Iraqis MODERN armor on their "export version" M-1 Abrams?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's more modern than the armor on the T 62 the A-10 was designed to kill
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Faster jets don't get shot up as easily, and still have a reasonable chance of surviving hits.  Two A-10 pilots were killed in Desert Storm, and three more were captured.  This was in less than a month of fighting.  Against ISIS, those three pilots would likely have been beheaded on camera.  You fight savages like that with these things:

http://www.unmannedsystemstechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Predator-B-MQ-9-Reaper.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It kills bad guys and comes home despite getting shot up.  What's not to like.

Faster jets don't get shot up as easily, and still have a reasonable chance of surviving hits.  Two A-10 pilots were killed in Desert Storm, and three more were captured.  This was in less than a month of fighting.  Against ISIS, those three pilots would likely have been beheaded on camera.  You fight savages like that with these things:

http://www.unmannedsystemstechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Predator-B-MQ-9-Reaper.jpg

Only half your equation there, missing the cannon.  It could probably be added to a UAV.
Easy answer is to make a replacement unmanned airframe using COTS parts.
Use the same or beefier cannon and commercial versions of the same motor.

Even better if you could make the unmanned aircraft use common components from the old airframe in order to justify keeping them going until we get drones perfected.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
God forbid we ever engage Russian Tanks, but I hope one lucky pilot gets a chance to fulfill the initial role of that beautiful bastard.
View Quote

Technically they have been engaging Russian tanks and equipment since GW1.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know that the A-10 is meant to use missiles against modern armor and the 30MM against lighter stuff like APCs, trucks, people, etc.
Yes the 30mm is capable against older heavy armor but the main weapon against a modern MBT will be the anti-tank missile.

I think it would make sense with our missile technology to do away with the GAU-8 and go with something smaller so that more ammunition can be carried to better support ground forces against light armor and infantry.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is my only question about this.

How well would an A-10 fare if shot at with the a US stinger?

Because ISIS has quite a few of them they got off the iraq army.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Sometimes the ugly girl gives it the best.

Get some.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Paint them all up to look like flying pulled pork sandwiches, and then let them do some nice CAP and let that 30 mike mike rip....BBBBRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Better than most other modern jets.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Obama is donating A10s to ISIS?

Jeez, the nerve of that guy.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably a lot better than a F-16 would.  Twin engines, redundant control surfaces - the A-10 is designed to fly with some 40% of the airframe disabled, I believe.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Full screen is best.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't do CAS with things like those.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What prevents it?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surviving a hit, probably so.  Avoiding getting hit, probably not as good.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/warthog/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://simhq.com/forum/files/usergals/2011/02/full-11236-7023-pic_013.png

http://www.jetav8r.com/A10Gallery1/0420.jpg

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/warthog/

Yea. He posted a pic of DCS. Although it is about as real as you can get at your home PC.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What prevents it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What prevents it?

The need to be low and accurate in the vicinity of friendly forces for one.  That coms delay isn't a big deal at altitude, but down near the floor with friendlies around?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Lots of shit carries missiles.

If you have to take out thousands of second echelon T62s pouring through the fulda gap, nothing beats an A-10.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is why the A-10 carries, of all things, anti-tank missiles.

Lots of shit carries missiles.

If you have to take out thousands of second echelon T62s pouring through the fulda gap, nothing beats an A-10.

If I had thousands of tanks pouring through I'd rather take these:

If I wanted extended flight time, hard to spot small groups of infantry/terrorists, I'll take an A-10. Or a Super Tucano or other type of plane. Maybe an AC-130.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The need to be low and accurate in the vicinity of friendly forces for one.  That coms delay isn't a big deal at altitude, but down near the floor with friendlies around?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What prevents it?

CAS does not need to be low, the PGMS shot from Preds and Reapers are of equal accuracy as when they are used by any other platform, the com latency really is not all that bad.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Paint them all up to look like flying pulled pork sandwiches, and then let them do some nice CAP and let that 30 mike mike rip....BBBBRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!
View Quote

Paint them up in the Arkansas razorback logo.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
CAS does not need to be low, the PGMS shot from Preds and Reapers are of equal accuracy as when they are used by any other platform, the com latency really is not all that bad.  
View Quote

Sure, as long as you can ID your target correctly.  I suspect the troops on the ground are not going to be happy with you firing towards them from 10kft from the safety of your air conditioned trailer.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Airforce doesn't want A10s give them to the Marines I'm sure we can find a use for them, and a way to add another cannon.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#41]

I think it would make sense with our missile technology to do away with the GAU-8 and go with something smaller so that more ammunition can be carried to better support ground forces against light armor and infantry.
View Quote

The A-10's forward fuselage would need to be redesigned to accommodate a smaller gun.

And really the A-10 itself would need a complete redesign if you're going to do all that, the newest airframe was made in the early 1980's.

Keep the overall shape and concept  and reliability of the A-10, make it a two seater, give it the ability to fire Hellfires, IFR from a drog, lengthen the airframe for more ammo, fuel, and center line hard points, make the wing slightly larger, wider, stronger, and then better engines, with more power.

A-10E Super Hawg.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saw that in another A-10 thread.  Pretty sure the ANG win in Arkansas has a few painted up that way.  Very well done I might add.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:32:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well IS has some russian tanks and APCs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:32:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Saint Peter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saint Peter

It would make much more sense to acquire more AC-130 spectre gunships and to get rid of the A-10. The AC-130's have much greater loiter time and kick way more ass.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:34:30 PM EDT
[#45]
No body else got this yet?

Warthog

Hog.

Haji don't get snackbar'd when he's killed by a pig right?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:40:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And some Abrams.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Stop making sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop making sense.

Keep 'em flying. Best CAS we have.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Someday, someone is going to figure out that in a world where MANPADS are prolific, arty is the only the that can make CAS effective.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:  Someday, someone is going to figure out that in a world where MANPADS are prolific, arty is the only the that can make CAS effective.
View Quote

These are the same folks that put bases in the bottom of bowls b/c the road junction is convenient to bring in the weekly lobster for the troops.  You want them to remember how to use artillery?  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#50]
I love the sound of some warthog.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top