BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:49:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I gotta ask.... What's with all the gear?

This may be the first time I've ever seen a pistol lanyard used in 3-Gun, ever.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I even had a noob moment when I set the rifle on the table

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH5p2Df-F-k

"With all the gear" or just what's with the lanyard specifically?

I spend a lot of time around water. There was obviously no water in sight durring that shoot. Drawing a gun with a lanyard after running can cause the lanyard to loop over the grip, under the holster, etc. I was using that day to practice.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
He is Marin Core 

He thinks he did well but in reality the plates just saw the very large man with the 1911 and said "Fuck this!" and fell down 

I was hoping he'd stick the bayonet on the 20" tho 

Next time please! 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is Marin Core 

He thinks he did well but in reality the plates just saw the very large man with the 1911 and said "Fuck this!" and fell down 

I was hoping he'd stick the bayonet on the 20" tho 

Next time please! 
Is that allowed? Maybe I can request a haybale to stab as well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No. I just don't want to compete with fine tuned semi auto race guns that wouldn't last a day in the field and their retarded out of touch with reality methods of reloading. Fuck shotguns in competition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the major reason is people are afraid to show the world their deficits.
No. I just don't want to compete with fine tuned semi auto race guns that wouldn't last a day in the field and their retarded out of touch with reality methods of reloading. Fuck shotguns in competition.

My beat to fuck 590 is a "fine tuned semi auto race guns"?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I never understood the shotgun portion of 3-gun. 2-gun with pistol and rifle/carbine would make more sense for any real world scenarios.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I never understood the shotgun portion of 3-gun. 2-gun with pistol and rifle/carbine would make more sense for any real world scenarios.
Oh yes, this "argument" again. It's not combat training. It's a game.

Quoted:

If it "wouldn't last a day in the field" then it isn't exactly fine tuned now is it? And I guess vastly more efficient reloads are out of touch?

Not liking shotguns is fine. 2-gun exists. The anti-shotgun points people are trying to make here are weak however.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:53:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Some of us think a 20 round tube on a shotgun is gay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just did my first 3 gun last weekend and got 5th out of 20.
I do to. I think quad loading with your strong hand is too. So I don't.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Maybe at the pro level but my 590a1 with 7 round tube beat out race benellis with 10-14 round tubes at a local shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just shoot 3 gun and stop sucking with a shotgun
I love shotguns but three gun shotguns have gotten retarded. The race handguns and rifles i can see being useful in real life but the shotguns are full derp.
Maybe at the pro level but my 590a1 with 7 round tube beat out race benellis with 10-14 round tubes at a local shoot.
It's the Indian, not the arrow
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#7]
In, because I have shoulder problems and can't shoot shotguns a bunch.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:09:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Two gun exists because the 'competitor' types ruined 3 gun, but the shotgun in it worst of all. Made it all about points, with little about tactics or field conditions. But the shotgun turned into nothing but a 'Gear Race.'

I've done a bit of 'Action Pistol,' and some of 3 Gun. It's not what I hoped it would be. You get more points by running all the way up to the targets for headshots, vs keeping or adding distance. Unless that's not allowed. Everything 'gamey' that many really want to not happen has to be directly prohibited or the 'competitors' will game the shit out of it.

Idk, half way ruined for me over all.
View Quote
Sounds like an answer from some of my cop buddies...."teaches bad habits, no real world tactics...blah blah blah".

But what you do get is shooting, moving, weapon manipulation, decision making, all under the stress of the timer.  If this doesn't make you better in the real world, your not doing your part right.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sounds like an answer from some of my cop buddies...."teaches bad habits, no real world tactics...blah blah blah".

But what you do get is shooting, moving, weapon manipulation, decision making, all under the stress of the timer.  If this doesn't make you better in the real world, your not doing your part right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two gun exists because the 'competitor' types ruined 3 gun, but the shotgun in it worst of all. Made it all about points, with little about tactics or field conditions. But the shotgun turned into nothing but a 'Gear Race.'

I've done a bit of 'Action Pistol,' and some of 3 Gun. It's not what I hoped it would be. You get more points by running all the way up to the targets for headshots, vs keeping or adding distance. Unless that's not allowed. Everything 'gamey' that many really want to not happen has to be directly prohibited or the 'competitors' will game the shit out of it.

Idk, half way ruined for me over all.

Exactly. IT'S. A. GAME. The competitor types didn't "ruin" anything. They simply got better at the GAME. The tactical Timmies thinking everything needs to be more realistic than real combat need to realize this.

If you want a "real world" based match, go find one. They are out there. Stop trying to make 3-gun something it isn't and then complain when people treat it like what it actually is.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I want matches that are only shotguns and DA revolvers 357 and up.

Weed out the pussies.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

all "tactical" shotgun is gay.

Shoot 2 gun and then do a round of skeet.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#12]
We have a relatively informal 2gun near me on the 3rd saturday of every month, I shoot it when I can.
I like to mix it up and shoot some of my less common toys.

I shot the last one with an RFB, just because
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Oh yes, this "argument" again. It's not combat training. It's a game.
View Quote
It's not really an argument, just me pointing out why 3-gun isn't for me. If you enjoy it, more power to you.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's not really an argument, just me pointing out why 3-gun isn't for me. If you enjoy it, more power to you.
View Quote

I bet you don't even carry when you take a shower.

you must be a Bernie bro.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Holy kitties titties.   This would be the answer

Quoted:
Nationally, the closest thing was the USCA, US Carbine Association that was started by the guys that did the Florida shoot. AFAIK, it's dead.  I think it didn't get the crossover from existing 3-gunners to keep it going, IMO. So, I don't think a dedicated 2-gun sport is the solution.

But, having shot at Safariland Expedition, I now think having a 2-gun Division is the answer.  Your existing 3-gun match stays the same, just add the 2-gun division. Shotgun, rifle, pistol, or PCC. Any of those 2 on any stage on any legal target.  For match directors and stage designers, your match stays the same except no flying clays.  
But, now, you have new shooters that can shoot it just with their rifle and pistol and experienced shooters like myself that will shoot it to allow me a choice of when I'd rather shoot my PCC than my shotgun. It opens up a lot of stage strategies.

I encourage all local match directors to please make it happen.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#16]
arm pit is laim ... what's under the tail?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

At that point it is called 1 gun.  Because you will quickly learn the rifle is superior for all applications.  People use pistols and shotguns because the games demand it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I've seen two gun matches as well as 3gun.
The problem is people get burned out with set up. We've moved to longer and more involved stages and people get tired of the setup.
If I was doing stages again, I would keep them short and sweet. You would never reload more than two rounds in a shotgun. Shoot it till dry then draw a pistol.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Talk to your local match director about adding the Division. It costs them nothing but adding the Division in Practiscore and excluding flying clays. My guess is that it will be popular.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#20]
dual wielding two-gun would be kind of cool.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#21]
12 years, still running matches 12 months a year

...but most info is communicated on the facebag these days...
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Why would you not want to practice with the ideal home defense weapon?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
dual wielding two-gun would be kind of cool.
View Quote
Local cowboy action shooter shot a 3gun with his lever gun, side x side and two single action revolvers.
He was pretty close to the top.

I'd imagine he would start to suffer on larger stages with more targets
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Possibly, but my shotguns are for killing ducks. I have 0 desire to learn to speed load and transition from steel to steel with them. 

I have rifles and pistols for more personal matters and am only interested in training/shooting/improving skills with them on the off chance I need them to defend myself. 
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I spend a lot of time around water. There was obviously no water in sight durring that shoot. Drawing a gun with a lanyard after running can cause the lanyard to loop over the grip, under the holster, etc. I was using that day to practice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The lanyard is super cool.  Stick with it.

Did any of the RO's ask weird questions or give you hassles about using it?  Occasionally, I see/shoot/get a stage where your sidearm starts in a box or on a table which might be a problem if I'm tethered to the gun.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Somebody should combine Two Gun, American Ninja Warrior and competitive eating.  That would be awesome.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It was already decided that Gary, Indiana is the armpit of America.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should
Probably update my profile,  I live in the country's armpit.   Aka Columbus, GA
It was already decided that Gary, Indiana is the armpit of America.
America like the rest of us has a left and a right armpit.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Somebody should combine Two Gun, American Ninja Warrior and competitive eating.  That would be awesome.
View Quote
In what order?

Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#29]
High power rifle has two basic categories, space guns allowed and service rifles.  Guys build service rifles to a standard. 4.5 to 8 pound trigger pull for example. They also allow deviation for Ban State nonsense.

Perhaps three and two gun competitions could classify like this?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#30]

America Ninja Warrior, Two Gun, Competitive eating.

In that order.  

It would be harsh, but fair.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
High power rifle has two basic categories, space guns allowed and service rifles.  Guys build service rifles to a standard. 4.5 to 8 pound trigger pull for example. They also allow deviation for Ban State nonsense.

Perhaps three and two gun competitions could classify like this?
View Quote
3 Gun Nation matches have this. Practical vs Factory Divisions. Not all clubs run those rules, however.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

3 Gun Nation matches have this. Practical vs Factory Divisions. Not all clubs run those rules, however.
View Quote
I think there is a lot of wild assuming going on in here that anybody shooting 3-gun is shooting straight race guns. Many of us are using duty or hunting ready firearms with some small changes (mostly optics choices and longer mag tubes for shotguns).

Many shoot in matches like this to train. Sure, if you were to engage 24 bad guys trying to kill you, you would likely use different tactics. But shooting under stress (which a timer and the format induces in matches) is a good skill to hone, no matter what weapon you use.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#33]
The vast majority of you just suck at Action Shooting, and that's OK.

Even folks that can run the rifle well, can't shoot their pistol with a flip. I am certified to train cops, I run a college Action Shooting team, used to have a USPSA M card and I don't shoot as often as I would like given kids and work and life in general.

Shot a local 2Gun last weekend, first match in a month and a half...finished 2nd out of 48 and the guy that beat me was one of my students. Hoorah for me...and, who cares?

It's a game. It requires skill and some practice. 98% of folks shoot their handguns so poorly in matches that there is no way to overcome that with rifle skill. You just have to get some training and keep working at it.

3Gun shotgun is its own special skill. No real world application for it and if you don't have a $2,000 shotgun after all the mods you are just wasting your time...if you are trying to compete to win. Just accept that and move on. I have seen extremely accomplished pistol shooters move into 3Gun, do well on rifle...which is used like a big pistol most of the time anyway...but quit after a season or two because they just didn't like it or didn't want to invest the time in getting good on shotgun. It's like being a great putter, but never being able to hit the long ball to get onto the green.

3Gun is the King of Shooting Sports for a reason.

2Gun removes the issue of the shotgun, and that's a great thing for 99.99% of folks out there. Now, get your thumb out of your mouth, stop whining...and stop sucking at pistol.

Your scores will thank you for it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Never underestimate to what degree people will protect their egos.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Most people I have seen getting into pistol sports, do it for the fun. Most of them know they will never be a master in steel or USPSA. They do however value personal skill over the gear race game. For example, USPSA has a big turnout for production and limited. Both classes can be done for relatively low cost compared to Open class.

I value consistent rules. I cringe when you get rule nazi's that scare off new shooters by yelling at them how they screw up. There is always ways to apply the rules with dignity and respect. Some people take it as a power trip and need to be pulled aside and talked to when they go over the line.
View Quote
DIVISION!

Type of guns used = division

Your skill level = class
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Check out inrangetv on YouTube for Karl's 2 gun vids. 
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suppose you could do CAS and use finely tuned wheel and lever race guns...
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Man up and  learn the shotgun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just shoot 3 gun and stop sucking with a shotgun
Man up and  learn the shotgun.
Yeah! And the shotgun is better for home defense anyway!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The vast majority of you just suck at Action Shooting, and that's OK.

Even folks that can run the rifle well, can't shoot their pistol with a flip. I am certified to train cops, I run a college Action Shooting team, used to have a USPSA M card and I don't shoot as often as I would like given kids and work and life in general.

Shot a local 2Gun last weekend, first match in a month and a half...finished 2nd out of 48 and the guy that beat me was one of my students. Hoorah for me...and, who cares?

It's a game. It requires skill and some practice. 98% of folks shoot their handguns so poorly in matches that there is no way to overcome that with rifle skill. You just have to get some training and keep working at it.

3Gun shotgun is its own special skill. No real world application for it and if you don't have a $2,000 shotgun after all the mods you are just wasting your time...if you are trying to compete to win. Just accept that and move on. I have seen extremely accomplished pistol shooters move into 3Gun, do well on rifle...which is used like a big pistol most of the time anyway...but quit after a season or two because they just didn't like it or didn't want to invest the time in getting good on shotgun. It's like being a great putter, but never being able to hit the long ball to get onto the green.

3Gun is the King of Shooting Sports for a reason.

2Gun removes the issue of the shotgun, and that's a great thing for 99.99% of folks out there. Now, get your thumb out of your mouth, stop whining...and stop sucking at pistol.

Your scores will thank you for it.
View Quote
Lol
You don't build pistols do you?
I was ok with a shotgun till the quad load thing started, to old to change now I'll stay with turn and burn.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't know if it is a formal organization or just a local thing, but my range hosts several 4-gun matches a year in addition to 3 gun, IPSC and IDPA.

It is rifle, shotgun, handgun, and Back-up-small handgun worked in. I kinda like it as it gets you to draw your BUG/Off-duty carry from its normal place and engage from several positions included officer down/wounded positions on the ground at various locations in the stages you shoot.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
It would be more interesting if pump actions were required.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Florida Defensive Carbine Club is going on maybe 15 years here in NE Florida. It's 2 gun. I haven't shot it in a long time, but it is awesome.
View Quote
I love FDCC those 2 months when it's not 96 in the shade.
I prefer 2 gun and shoot the Mil/LE class with iron sights on my pistol and an Aimpoint on my rifle.
For me it's as close to real world training as it gets(besides taking a class). I shoot my CCW  and my go to AR.
This helps me find out things like.. A single point sling will hit you in the nuts and burn your shins with a hot can.
When do you get a chance to jump on the hood of a car and shoot?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#43]
We love 2GUN here in North Florida.

FDCC

NFDCC

Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#44]
There's no sanctioning body anymore, but plenty of outlaw matches exist.  This is the one I run.

Ask around on local shooter's forums and you'll probably find one close.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

In that order.  

View Quote

Sounds stupid.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

In that order.  

View Quote
I say eating first, then NW, then shooting.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I think there is a lot of wild assuming going on in here that anybody shooting 3-gun is shooting straight race guns. Many of us are using duty or hunting ready firearms with some small changes (mostly optics choices and longer mag tubes for shotguns).

Many shoot in matches like this to train. Sure, if you were to engage 24 bad guys trying to kill you, you would likely use different tactics. But shooting under stress (which a timer and the format induces in matches) is a good skill to hone, no matter what weapon you use.
View Quote
Personally, I think newer shooters should understand that what separates the names on the rankings is not how 'racy' their shooting equipment has become but how skilled that shooter has become with their chosen equipment.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I like shooting at stuff, and I also like beating people at things... but I don't like shotguns, and I don't like being beat.  With that being said, are two gun competitions ever hosted?  Or is it strictly 3 gun? By two gun I mean carbine and pistol, not shotgun and scout rifle like some of you would prefer.
View Quote

Have you ever heard of Cola Warrior?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I shoot both 2 gun and 3 gun.

I LOVE 2 gun and find it to be very fun and a lot more "practical". 3 gun is just kinda meh, due to the shotgun.

Not because of its use, but it seems overuse in a lot of matches. Ie: 100 rifle rounds, 75-100 pistol and like 100 shotgun rounds. Sounds balanced until you realize rifle and pistol are normally 2 rounds on target and shotgun is 1.

So that is roughly 50 rifle targets, 50 pistol targets and 100 shotgun targets. Thats just not that fun to me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I shoot both 2 gun and 3 gun.

I LOVE 2 gun and find it to be very fun and a lot more "practical". 3 gun is just kinda meh, due to the shotgun.

Not because of its use, but it seems overuse in a lot of matches. Ie: 100 rifle rounds, 75-100 pistol and like 100 shotgun rounds. Sounds balanced until you realize rifle and pistol are normally 2 rounds on target and shotgun is 1.

So that is roughly 50 rifle targets, 50 pistol targets and 100 shotgun targets. Thats just not that fun to me.
View Quote
You are exactly right. That's because 3Gun shotgun is about loading, not shooting. Any monkey can get behind the gun and run it on some targets at near cyclical rate...loading it though, and in the right order...that's the Art!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top