BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does this mean that Anne Margret's not coming?

Ann's one of the good people that came to Vietnam with Bob Hope.

Be good to her.

That is just a quote from Platoon. I don't think malice was intended.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Be good to her.

FMJ

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:29:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Be good to her.

FMJ

I can't believe I mixed those up.

hijack over
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Question for anyone who knows;

After R.I.P., is there a possibility I'll be deployed before getting a crack at Ranger school (from my understanding RIP and Ranger Course are usually anywhere from 8 months to a year apart depending on space, the soldier, and his CO) ? I'd really like to get a crack at this. I feel like a piece of shit sitting here not doing anything. I would pay to have my ship date moved up right no. Damnit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

After R.I.P., is there a possibility I'll be deployed before getting a crack at Ranger school (from my understanding RIP and Ranger Course are usually anywhere from 8 months to a year apart depending on space, the soldier, and his CO) ? I'd really like to get a crack at this. I feel like a piece of shit sitting here not doing anything. I would pay to have my ship date moved up right no. Damnit.

If you go into a Ranger batt, there is a very good chance you will be deployed before you get a slot to Ranger school.

I am a bit confused as to what exactly you are asking.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've got 2 years to commission in the big green. I can't wait. And to everyone who will be deploying soon, stay safe.

I'm a year ahead of you, same big mean green machine. Leaving for LDAC on Wednesday.

I have a strong desire to get over there and kick some ass.

The other part of me knows that the reality of handing out ass kickings is taking a lick or two yourself.  Really don't want to think about how'd I feel if I took causalities.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Definitely.

If you make it through RIP, you will have plenty of opportunity to kick ass and take names.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

From a civi perspective, God speed to those involved. I'd much prefer strategic parking lots to be built quickly via air delivery instead of winning hearts and minds, but then again the .gov doesn't pay me for my opinion. I would have liked to see AFG wrapped up well before now so that we could put more effort into the NORK and Iran situations...
+1

I admire the fine men and women going over there, but I would rather have a lot of glowing parking lots than one of them lose a life.  God speed and come home.  I am convinced no country in the history of earth has produced so many fine warriors.  I hope to God we will provide the air support and logistics needed.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely.

If you make it through RIP, you will have plenty of opportunity to kick ass and take names.

This is what I was asking. I really don't want to have to wait to go to ranger school. I want to get my piece. awesome. Thanks guys, and thank you all for your service, stay safe.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#10]
MX, you went through ROTC correct?

(I had a 4 year in the bag but ended up enlisting, didn't feel like waiting four years to get there)

If you don't mind me asking, what'd you get your commission in?

edit for late night spelling
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:53:35 AM EDT
[#11]
big push and a squeeze.
just like pushing a big turd out then flush it down the toilet
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:04:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
According to a friend's sone who just left from being on leave, the Army just bought a little over a million Tupperware brand bodybags and has them where he is stationed in Colorado. He's an Iraq vet and is home until his time is up. Unless we go full furball over there, I guess. It's got him a little uneasy.

Tell him that Dan said to stop listening to Alex Jones.

Yes, listen to Dan.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:20:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Be good to her.

It is from Full Metal Jacket actually.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:23:52 AM EDT
[#14]
same fight
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:27:43 AM EDT
[#15]
MOTHERFUCKING BRING IT!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:32:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They are bringing it.  No shortage of activity there.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:33:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Rule #1 of guerilla war. Don't give them a big fight.

It's distressing that the officer corps apparently isn't required to read Mao and Giap. The leaders of those we're fighting sure as hell do.

Any BIG fight will accomplish one thing - stripping away the what little legitimacy the Karzai government has left.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:42:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I would keep an eye on Pakistan. If they fall to Islamic revolution, then Afghanistan will get real bad real soon.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:06:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Rule #1 of guerilla war. Don't give them a big fight.

It's distressing that the officer corps apparently isn't required to read Mao and Giap. The leaders of those we're fighting sure as hell do.

Any BIG fight will accomplish one thing - stripping away the what little legitimacy the Karzai government has left.

Are you going to sit here and seriously suggest you know the situation and  for that matter - warfare AT ALL - better than GEN Petreaus and GEN  McChrystal?

You are talking out of your ass, and showing it.  "Rule #1 of guerilla warfare?"  Where did you learn this, a Cracker Jack box?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Ok, got a possible update to this via the AP today... maybe it's referring the "big one coming."

Pakistan steels for army assault on Waziristan

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) – Pakistan
braced for militant reprisals on Monday as the army conducted
softening-up operations ahead of an assault on the stronghold of
Pakistani Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud, one of al Qaeda's main allies.

Military experts see the showdown in remote South Waziristan
as a possible Waterloo for al Qaeda and its allies as the government
has demonstrated a fighting spirit hitherto lacking in Pakistan.

"We continue to fight until the last Taliban, militant, enemy of Pakistan is flushed out of Pakistan," Interior Minister Rehman Malik told police in Islamabad on Monday.

Extra
police roadblocks caused unusually long traffic tailbacks in the
capital on Monday morning as Rehman feared more bomb attacks like those
that killed eight people in Dera Ismail Khan on Sunday and nine in a Peshawar hotel last week.

U.S. officials say they believe the Pakistan army has started a big push into Mehsud's mountainous redoubt, and on Sunday Awais Ahmed Ghani, governor of North West Frontier Province, confirmed an operation had been ordered.

The United States heaved a sigh of relief when the army went on the offensive in late April to clear the Swat valley and neighbouring districts northwest of the capital, Islamabad.

The start of a campaign against Mehsud will doubly reassure Western allies, who fear the nuclear-armed Muslim state could plunge into chaos unless the Taliban's creeping advances are stopped.

Waziristan has long been regarded as a militant sanctuary, and al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden passed through the area before disappearing after fleeing Afghanistan in late 2001.

Military and intelligence officials told Reuters the main operation has not yet started, though a countdown has begun.

There
have been a series of actions in recent days, including the bombing of
a Mehsud village on Saturday, and an army assault on militant tribesmen
in the nearby Bannu district, while two forts in Waziristan came under heavy attack from Mehsud fighters.

A Reuters journalist saw military columns moving towards the Mehsud lands, and families fleeing the area.

"There are hardly any civilian families left there, just Taliban and their families," said Abdul Rahim Mehsud, a villager who had abandoned his home to stay with relatives in Tank, the last town on the road into South Waziristan.

FEW PLACES LEFT TO RUN

The
Pakistan army, for all its firepower, faces a difficult campaign given
the terrain, the presence of women and children, and the desperation of
their foes.

"It's going to be a tough battle initially because
this is going to be their final battle," retired brigadier Asad Munir,
a former Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) officer, told Reuters.

"It is for their survival so all of them are going to join together, the jihadis, sectarian groups, foreigners, al-Qaeda.

"If they take over South Waziristan there'll be no place for al Qaeda leaders to hide."

Missile attacks by U.S. drone aircraft have largely targeted North and South Waziristan, the two most militant prone of Pakistan's seven semi-autonomous tribal lands bordering Afghanistan.

CIA
Director Leon Panetta said last week he believed bin Laden was still in
Pakistan, but U.S. officials have told journalists that some al Qaeda
fighters have begun moving to Yemen and Somalia as Pakistan had become too risky.

While
the main focus remains Swat and Waziristan, the military has also been
hitting militant positions across the northwest, with airstrikes and
helicopter gunship raids in Bajaur and Mohmand on Sunday, and in
Orakzai last week.

The Swat operation is in its last stages, but
over 2 million people have fled the combat zone since fighting broke
out in late April, and the prospect of more abandoning their homes in Waziristan will add to worries over a humanitarian crisis.

The United States and United Nations are leading efforts to raise funds to help Pakistan cope.

The
insecurity weighed on sentiment in the share market and the main index
lost 1.51 percent on Monday, as investors found little solace in an
annual budget that underlined a dependence on financial aid from
friendly governments worried about Pakistan's future.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090615/india_nm/india403352
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are bringing it.  No shortage of activity there.

As my expenditure paperwork reflects, and we wouldn't mind firing a whole lot more missiles in the least.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
From a civi perspective, God speed to those involved. I'd much prefer strategic parking lots to be built quickly via air delivery instead of winning hearts and minds, but then again the .gov doesn't pay me for my opinion. I would have liked to see AFG wrapped up well before now so that we could put more effort into the NORK and Iran situations...
+1

I admire the fine men and women going over there, but I would rather have a lot of glowing parking lots than one of them lose a life.  God speed and come home.  I am convinced no country in the history of earth has produced so many fine warriors.  I hope to God we will provide the air support and logistics needed.

Understandable.  But, in order to take, and hold ground.  You need to have the boots there.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#24]
This scares me ever more with the current administration.  I know the men and women of the US military are the finest, most ass-kickingest soldiers on the planet, but I can't help but be a little apprehensive, considering the cuts in defense budget.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Think "clear and hold" - and look at the areas we have yet to "clear."

Clear - Hold - Build and a new general to make it so........maybe.
5sub

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

After 6 months the U.S. owned about 75% of the country. Today we own less than 25%. They've had 8 years to learn how to fight us, and our troops are heading back in to re do what got undone when people started careing more about Iraq. A lotta good men are gonna catch a lotta hell. Many already are.

This.......sigh....
5sub
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#27]
I always have and expect I always will respect and support our war fighters. However, I will no longer support wars we will not win and that is from the war on drugs to the war in Afghanistan. I want all our troops out of Afghanistan and not more sent in.......Iraq too. Without massive use of thermo nuclear weapons in Afghanistan and Pakistan we will not win and we will not use thermo nuclear weapons.
5sub
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I always have and expect I always will respect and support our war fighters. However, I will no longer support wars we will not win and that is from the war on drugs to the war in Afghanistan. I want all our troops out of Afghanistan and not more sent in.......Iraq too. Without massive use of thermo nuclear weapons in Afghanistan and Pakistan we will not win and we will not use thermo nuclear weapons.

5sub

Using nukes to fight this war makes as much sense as using tanks to fight burglary.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#29]
My buddy with 2/8 rolled out a month ago.
This is his 4th deployment and said is the first one he's really worried about.
Us watching 9th Company (9th Rota) didn't help either I bet.

CXS

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks to all of you serving
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Hey, thanks for all the input folks.

My unit is just a little NG unit from east "Podunk" Oregon but, we're gonna be there soon and your insights ARE helpfull!

Thanks again,

Tread'
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Isn't it the season where the Taliban make a push and later will hole up for the winter?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top