Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I loves me some BBQ.

I think everybody has to consider the regional aspect of it.
Texans aren't out ridin' the range and ropin' piggies.
There aren't vast herds of cattle roaming the pine scrub in the hills of the Carolinas.
Each culture has devised and perfected a way to cook the dominant food animal of their area.

That said, I've eaten BBQ across the wide swath of America where it is found.
I've seen a lot of over cooked, dried out beef absolutely murdered with tomato sauce in a lot more joints than I've had bad pulled pork.
Maybe succulent pig is a lot easier to get right. I think the rub and baste of Carolina makes a better taste overall.
It works with the pig and doesn't cover up the taste of the flesh.

When it comes to foodgasm, I'll take that pig sammich on a simple hamburger roll from the one-eyed black man cooking on the side of the road any day.
It's all about the sauce and that ketchup crap just doesn't cut it.
NC pig for me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
If you ever have lexington style barbicue, you wont think its sacrilige. THE BEST.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's all good!
Hessian-1

This
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Eastern NC Style for the FTMFW!

SC Mustard Based  

Western NC

How about you and the Dixie Chicks come over here to God's country and say that!

The only thing eastern NC has got that western NC wants is to be closer to the Outer Banks!

Seriously, all BBQ is good. You would really have to mess up bad for it to not be good.

Nick
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
When I went down to NC I asked the Hometown folks for recommendations.  I like the NC vinegar sauce but it's not for everybody.  There is a place called Danny's BBQ near Raleigh/RTP that has the sauce separate from the BBQ so you can use the vinegar based or non-vinegar based sauce to your preference.

Danny's is Florida/non-NC style BBQ http://www.dannysbarbque.com/html/about.html
and damn good I might add!

Cool.  When I was there, the guy said "you don't look like you're from around here so you might want to try the sweet sauce" and steered me away from (what I thought was) the vinegar based stuff.  I saw a bunch of little tubs of sauce so I took a few of each.  I thought at least some of it was vinegary.

There's no mistaking that they are Florida people though ... enough Florida Gator stuff to choke a horse.  PS I went to the one in RTP and the one near Cary.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I celebrate diversity and enjoy almost everything called barbecue.

With this, I concur......
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes vinegar based for the win.  Spent  4 years in NC and cannot find any good BBQ in NoVA.  Recommend Gardners Foods (three locations) in Rocky Mount off 95 if your passing thru.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes vinegar based for the win.  Spent  4 years in NC and cannot find any good BBQ in NoVA.  Recommend Gardners Foods (three locations) in Rocky Mount off 95 if your passing thru.

Maker your own, it ain't hard.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Wilbur's BBQ in Goldsboro NC makes the best barbecue I have ever had in the entire world.  The barbecue chicken is also outfuckingstanding, the fried chicken as good as any I've ever had also.  

If I lived nearby, I'd go broke and never set foot in a grocery store.

By the way this shit called "ketchup" is a substance used to disguise the taste of disgusting food.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When it comes to foodgasm, I'll take that pig sammich on a simple hamburger roll from the one-eyed black man cooking on the side of the road any day.

NC pig for me.

Racist

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#11]

If any of you guys are at Blackwater or Xe or whatever they're calling themselves nowadays, head up the highway a few miles to the NC/VA line and there is a tourist trap called Southland that has some decent eastern NC pork BBQ, both pulled or minced.   Can't miss it.  It's a big pink building with a pig on it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Will McKinney and I were at UNC together, and were both founding members of the Carolina Barbecue Society.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my NC BBQ. I have eaten at places all over North Carolina.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I like just about all forms of BBQ. Not sacrilege in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If any of you guys are at Blackwater or Xe or whatever they're calling themselves nowadays, head up the highway a few miles to the NC/VA line and there is a tourist trap called Southland that has some decent eastern NC pork BBQ, both pulled or minced.   Can't miss it.  It's a big pink building with a pig on it.

BTDT.  

Its allright.  Beats the hell out of Smithfields Chicken N' Barbecue, then again if McDonalds started making something called the McCarolina it would probably be better than that bacteria infested shit they serve at Smithfields.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Pete Jones Barbecue > King's > Wilbur's

Quoted:

Wilbur's BBQ in Goldsboro NC

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By saturnstyl

better than that bacteria infested shit they serve at Smithfields.

Have you tried Backyard BBQ Pit on 55 in Durham?

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I judged KCBS barbecue for a couple of years, and while I do celebrate diversity in meat, I do have favorites.

Tomato-based sauce is fine on just about everything, I really like the mustard-based sauce on pork, I love ribs either way, but slightly prefer dry rub to wet rub.  Vinegar sauce can be enjoyable, but it's not something that I want to eat frequently.  I prefer pork BBQ, but I do love some good Texas BBQ brisket.  Mayo-based, or "white sauce" is an abomination before smoked meat.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't recall.  I went to some barbecue place in Durham a few months back.  It was a black owned and operated establishment from what I gathered.  They had a whole bunch of different foods there, but I was just after barbecue.  Their sauce appeared to be a watery mustard based type so I passed on that, but the chopped pork BBQ was easily a top ten contender.

Looked it up on the Garmin, I am pretty sure it was Dillard Bar B Q house.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

SC Mustard Based  

Western NC

This.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't recall.  I went to some barbecue place in Durham a few months back.  It was a black owned and operated establishment from what I gathered.  They had a whole bunch of different foods there, but I was just after barbecue.  Their sauce appeared to be a watery mustard based type so I passed on that, but the chopped pork BBQ was easily a top ten contender.

You should have tried the mustard sauce, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I grew up on the tomato-based, highly sugared "sauce" thinking that it was the only definition of barbecue sauce.  When I visited North Carolina and tried their vinegar-based, Lexington style barbecue - I saw the light and became a convert.  Pork - hand chopped.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#25]
MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm BBQ!!!! Eastern...GOOD! Western...GOOD! SC mustard...GOOD!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Pigman's on the outer banks sucks.
Used to be a place called Don Murray's on capital blvd in Raleigh I liked to go get lunch at.  Its closed.
Barbecue lodge in the same area... meh.
Strange its quite difficult to find good barbecue in Raleigh.
Woody's BBQ is a florida type joint on falls of nuese road in Raleigh.  Meh.  Maybe below Meh.
Danny's.  Meh.
Smithfields Chicken N Barbecue (SCNB)  I can never forgive the havelock location for food poisoning that made me want to fucking die.  Literally, I wished I was dead.
Holy Smokes  I have a frequent flyer card to that place.  
Shanes Ribshack is usually okay, its a chain restaurant though.

I'd like to visit Parker's and also The Pit.  Googling has uncovered a few restaurants I didn't know about also.

I just found this here Map of places to visit also.  Looks like I may have a new hobby!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Allen & Son's in Hillsborough is worth the drive if you've never been.  Out-fucking-standing.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

If you ever have lexington style barbicue, you wont think its sacrilige. THE BEST.

I wholeheartedly agree and I also vote for you to have the avatar of the year title.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

NC pig for me.

Racist

He's not racist. He sold me a pig sammich.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Which one? Lexington style or down east.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:58:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't forget the Coleslaw

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If it is that mustard shit, it is pure evil!    Mustard is the spawn of the devil!  How can mustard even be associated with BBQ?  

Mustard is a requirement for most BBQ cooks no matter which finishing sauce is used. The best way to get that beautiful tasty bark on the outside is to lather the outside of your Q with mustard and pack on the rub. But hey that is only the best way to do it. You are more than welcome to use inferior methods.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NC pig for me.

Racist

Sounds remarkably like a pig purveyor in Wayne county...

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which NC BBQ sauce are you referring to? The vinegar-based, tomato-based, or mustard-based?

Yeah, do you mean the southeastern style sauce, Gastonia style sauce, Lexington stysle sauce, western style sauce? Or the stuff from Bridges in Shelby, or the mustard based sauce?

Saying NC Style Sauce is like saying "AR style rifle" there are lots of variants.

Ok, let me ask a dumb question here but what is Gastonia style sauce? I'm from Gastonia and the only thing I can think of is BBQ slaw. Which I don't consider sauce.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I had lunch at Gardners in Rocky Mount Sunday.  I will be going back.

Oh lord, I miss Gardners!  Get a tenderloin and gravy on a cheese biscuit for breakfast, and have one for me!

Michael
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Dixie Bones in Woodbridge is about the best in NOVA. A lot of people will chime in with Willards but I think they are over rated due to the lack of decent BBQ in the area.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

SC Mustard Based  

Western NC

How about you and the Dixie Chicks come over here to God's country and say that!

The only thing eastern NC has got that western NC wants is to be closer to the Outer Banks!

Seriously, all BBQ is good. You would really have to mess up bad for it to not be good.

Nick

I live 30 miles from Lexington

Its almost a 3 hour drive to get Parker's or Bill's in Wilson, NC.

Western NC BBQ isn't bad, but it fails compared to pretty much anything east of Raleigh.

Of course, YMMV
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NC pig for me.

Racist

Sounds remarkably like a pig purveyor in Wayne county...

I honestly don't know where I was. Somewhere in NC off the highway on the way to Atlanta.
He had a beat up old station wagon on the side of the road with a plywood sign that simply said "B-B-Q".
He had a Coleman cooler by him and was cooking in a sawed off 55 gal. drum rig.

Best BBQ I have ever had anywhere, ever.
I don't know what he was doing but he was doing it right.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wholeheartedly agree and I also vote for you to have the avatar of the year title.  

haha thanks!  I found the pic and was all like and yeah, if you havent had lexington style, you havent had barbicue...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wilbur's BBQ in Goldsboro NC makes the best barbecue I have ever had in the entire world.  The barbecue chicken is also outfuckingstanding, the fried chicken as good as any I've ever had also.  

If I lived nearby, I'd go broke and never set foot in a grocery store.

By the way this shit called "ketchup" is a substance used to disguise the taste of disgusting food.

Damn I love Wilber's!

I was stationed at Seymour Johnson for 5 1/2 years and ate there a good bit.  The wife's parents live in New Bern and I'll stop there and get some BBQ when we go visit them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Which NC BBQ sauce are you referring to? The vinegar-based, tomato-based, or mustard-based?
Or the white?

Need recipes!!!!

ETA:
Big Bob Gibson™s White Sauce

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons apple cider

Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix well.

That is some good stuff on smoked chicken.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Don't forget the red Coleslaw

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Good BBQ done right, whether it is NC, KC, TX, or Santa Maria style... it's all good!    

Need fried okra on the side to make it complete though.

Gawd durnit, we don't tell none of them easterners about Santa Maria BBQ
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:03:09 AM EDT
[#45]
If you're on the Raleigh/Cary border near the fairgrounds, try Ole Time BBQ it's NC style

http://www.oletimebarbecue.com/raleigh.north.carolina.barbecue.catering.restaurant/index.php
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Eastern NC vinegar sauce..

Just prepared a brisket using photokirk's method. http://www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/brisket/index.html Will be going in the pit tomorrow at 6:00am.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:10:29 AM EDT
[#47]
If anyone was at the Knight's Armament open house this past year and had the pulled pork - I'd love a recipe that is similar to that NC style sauce!  First time I ever had NC style sauce and I thought it was great!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top