User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, as you may or may not know, I have been undergoing a crisis with regards to faith for the past few years.

I was raised a Bible believing, pentecostal, charismatic, tongue talking Christian.

The problem is that I no longer believe The Bible is the infallible word of God.

But, I am not exactly an atheistic heathen either.

I do believe in God, I do believe in Jesus, I do believe in the Virgin Birth, I do believe in the crucifixion, the resurrection and the ascension. I also believe in the Big Bang, Dinosaurs and evolution. I do not believe that accepting both sides is a contradiction.

What I do not believe in is the 6,000 year old Earth, the 6 day creation story, the Tower of Babel story, Noah's Ark, etc. To be honest with you, if the God of the Bible is who it says he is, then I don't think he cares.

So, I have been doing some reading about Catholicism. The Pope seems to be a level headed guy and The Church seems to have moved into modern times for the most part, without giving up the core of the religion or the traditions. I'm thinking this is a good fit for me.

So what do you Catholics think? Is Catholicism right for me?

I would sugest you

1. read your bible

2. find a church that asks you to bring your bible. [or provides the scripture readings for the service for you.] Reason is to make sure what is taught is in the bible. Let me ask you this the Bible teaches there is Heaven or Hell to spend eternity in. Would you trust a church that does not encourge you to bring your bible to see what is taught in the bible. Point would sign a contract without reading it first.
A) That's nice if the service you're going to is basically one long Bible study that flips from verse to verse in different books, or parses a specific passage verse by verse.  However, some places actually have liturgy with a beginning, middle, and end, as the early Christians did.

B) Some churches provide the Scripture readings of the service for everyone so that everyone will have the same translation.

C) The early Christian churches didn't tell everyone to bring their bibles because the Bible hadn't been compiled yet, and most folks were illiterate and too poor to own books –– which were very expensive to hand copy.

C) you assume that your interpretation of what is in the Bible is correct.  How do you know you're right and they aren't?
mowtown_steve,  One of the big differences you will encounter in the Catholic Church is that we believe the Bible came from the Church, not the Church from the Bible.  Christ didn't found a book.  He didn't found a collection of books (the Bible).  He founded a Church, and it is the Church –– not the individual–– which upholds and guards the Truth.

Link Posted: 4/21/2011 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm no expert so cannot speak on teachings or beliefs, but I have been to more than a few Catholic churches and from that learned a lot. This is about how I felt at each "type."
I found that modernized churches with alters in the middle and open like a gymnasium left me feeling like I had NOT attended a mass at all, like no meaningful worship took place and God was not present during any of it. People also seemed really happy, before, during and after the service. It felt really weird to me. Almost cult like. But not God like. I feel uncomfortable in those churches and around those people.
A huge step up, a more traditional church leaves me feeling like I have been to church service, but that something is still missing. It felt like it was the right place but still only half done. People were normal. What a relief. I spent most of my life in and out of this "type" of church.
Then I found a traditional looking church WITH a Communion rail. People really bowed down in reverence in the direction of the alter and the sanctuary lamp as they entered and knelt for communion. The people looked like they respected God and were there to worship him, not just go to church. It was like a time machine to the 1950's. Very nice people with wonderful children. It was a long drive on Sunday morning, but worth it. It feels like God is there.
Then I went to Latin mass at the same traditional looking church. It was pure 16th century. I couldn't understand much of what was being said or sung, but I could follow along reading the translations and it was beautiful.
Then I went to a High Mass. Most of it is prayer. The choir sings the mass as a prayer. It's the most beautiful mass of them all and may be closest thing to heaven you can experience on earth. It is like no other mass I have ever been to.
I can't offer anything on Bible interpretations, but this is the way I feel having been at Catholic churches and services over the years. Go to a high mass for your answers.

Link Posted: 4/22/2011 4:14:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
So, as you may or may not know, I have been undergoing a crisis with regards to faith for the past few years.

I was raised a Bible believing, pentecostal, charismatic, tongue talking Christian.

The problem is that I no longer believe The Bible is the infallible word of God.

I do believe in God, I do believe in Jesus, I do believe in the Virgin Birth, I do believe in the crucifixion, the resurrection and the ascension. I also believe in the Big Bang, Dinosaurs and evolution. I do not believe that accepting both sides is a contradiction.

What I do not believe in is the 6,000 year old Earth, the 6 day creation story, the Tower of Babel story, Noah's Ark, etc. To be honest with you, if the God of the Bible is who it says he is, then I don't think he cares.

So, I have been doing some reading about Catholicism. The Pope seems to be a level headed guy and The Church seems to have moved into modern times for the most part, without giving up the core of the religion or the traditions. I'm thinking this is a good fit for me.

I would sugest you
1. read your bible
2. find a church that asks you to bring your bible. Reason is to make sure what is taught is in the bible. Let me ask you this the Bible teaches there is Heaven or Hell to spend eternity in. Would you trust a church that does not encourge you to bring your bible to see what is taught in the bible. Point would sign a contract without reading it first.
A) That's nice if the service you're going to is basically one long Bible study that flips from verse to verse in different books, or parses a specific passage verse by verse.  However, some places actually have liturgy with a beginning, middle, and end, as the early Christians did.
B) Some churches provide the Scripture readings of the service for everyone so that everyone will have the same translation.
C) The early Christian churches didn't tell everyone to bring their bibles because the Bible hadn't been compiled yet, and most folks were illiterate and too poor to own books –– which were very expensive to hand copy.
C) you assume that your interpretation of what is in the Bible is correct.  How do you know you're right and they aren't?

mowtown_steve,  One of the big differences you will encounter in the Catholic Church is that we believe the Bible came from the Church, not the Church from the Bible.  Christ didn't found a book.  He didn't found a collection of books (the Bible).  He founded a Church, and it is the Church –– not the individual–– which upholds and guards the Truth.

Jesus came so we no longer need to depend on priests to mediate for forgiveness. I simply need to know Jesus and know Jesus is my Savior. No need to depend on a preist for forgiveness.  

1 Timothy 2:5
5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,
Hebrews 9:11-15  
11 But Christ came as High Priest of the good things to come, with the greater and more perfect tabernacle not made with hands, that is, not of this creation.
12 Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption.
13 For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh,
14 how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
15 And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.
11 But Christ came as High Priest of the good things to come, with the greater and more perfect tabernacle not made with hands, that is, not of this creation.
12 Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption.
13 For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh,
14 how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
15 And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.
Finally Jesus said.
John 14:6  
6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 4:22:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I would sugest you
1. read your bible
2. find a church that asks you to bring your bible. [or provides the scripture readings for the service for you.] Reason is to make sure what is taught is in the bible. Let me ask you this the Bible teaches there is Heaven or Hell to spend eternity in. Would you trust a church that does not encourge you to bring your bible to see what is taught in the bible. Point would sign a contract without reading it first.

Here is what scripture has to say to you. If you want believe the Bible came form the church then you error greatly.
2 Timothy 3:16  
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 5:50:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I would sugest you
1. read your bible

Here is what scripture has to say to you. If you want believe the Bible came form the church then you error greatly.
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,

I am operating under the assumption that what you have been posting is to point out errors in the doctrine of the Catholic Church. If so, please explain for us (using the passages you have previously posted) how the Catholic Church has not upheld traditional Chrsitain beliefs.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#6]
One of the biggest concerns from the "Protestant" view (I am over generalizing and over simplifying here) is that from its point of view, the RC church is adding to what is in the Bible. The Catholic view is they have the Traditions; teachings they feel are valid and handed down, but not written. Most Protestants adhere to "Sola Scriptura", citing the passages beready has given. (My view as well, but irrelevant for the moment.) The argument ranges from, "If it isn't written, how do we know it's real?" to "If it's important, why wasn't it written down?"

So, if it isn't Biblical, it's challenged. Is the Pope the head of "The Church" (big "C") or just the Catholic church? Purgatory: does it exist, or is it invented? The concept comes from the apocrypha. Are those books part of the Bible or not?

And then there is the whole question of Grace and Salvation; what part does man play in it? Can others gone before us intercede on our behalf?

If we can't agree on what is to be the authoritive source, we most likely are not going to come to the same conclusion on a question.

And it's not just Catholics vs the world although this time it seems so. A lot of times it's our Mormon friends vs the world. Or the Lutherans and Baptists can get into a tizzy over Baptism and Communion. Protestants can't agree over lots of things.

For what it's worth, Catholics will always need to understand that theirs is the church that the Lutherans and Anabaptists, etc. "tried to fix" (from their point of view) and had to break from. And whether the Orthodox church split from the Catholic church or vice versa depends largely on from which side of the schism you're viewing.

We do have some common beliefs and we differ on some. Are they consequential? for some of us, yes. And hopefully it's out of brotherly concern that we point out the differences.

It wasn't my intent to stir the embers here in this post. It was only to clarify. It's hard to write from a neutral position when you have skin in the game.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One of the biggest concerns from the "Protestant" view (I am over generalizing and over simplifying here) is that from its point of view, the RC church is adding to what is in the Bible. The Catholic view is they have the Traditions; teachings they feel are valid and handed down, but not written. Most Protestants adhere to "Sola Scriptura", citing the passages beready has given. (My view as well, but irrelevant for the moment.) The argument ranges from, "If it isn't written, how do we know it's real?" to "If it's important, why wasn't it written down?"

So, if it isn't Biblical, it's challenged. Is the Pope the head of "The Church" (big "C") or just the Catholic church? Purgatory: does it exist, or is it invented? The concept comes from the apocrypha. Are those books part of the Bible or not?

And then there is the whole question of Grace and Salvation; what part does man play in it? Can others gone before us intercede on our behalf?

If we can't agree on what is to be the authoritive source, we most likely are not going to come to the same conclusion on a question.

And it's not just Catholics vs the world although this time it seems so. A lot of times it's our Mormon friends vs the world. Or the Lutherans and Baptists can get into a tizzy over Baptism and Communion. Protestants can't agree over lots of things.

For what it's worth, Catholics will always need to understand that theirs is the church that the Lutherans and Anabaptists, etc. "tried to fix" (from their point of view) and had to break from. And whether the Orthodox church split from the Catholic church or vice versa depends largely on from which side of the schism you're viewing.

We do have some common beliefs and we differ on some. Are they consequential? for some of us, yes. And hopefully it's out of brotherly concern that we point out the differences.

It wasn't my intent to stir the embers here in this post. It was only to clarify. It's hard to write from a neutral position when you have skin in the game.

And I, for one, appreciate the answer. I was more concerned with the drive-by style of beready's posting of the Scripture and highlighting passages that someone might use in the "sola scriptura" arguement.
As for the other points about where we (RCC vs. Prot) agree and disagree, I find myself in a personal quandry. I believe what I am doing as a Catholic is the "right way" but if you want do something else - be it Protestant, another religion, or no reilgion - knock yourself out. But, should I act this way, or should I try to "enlighten" (my term for simplicity) those who do not believe as I do.  The only debate that really gets under my skin is between the RCC members and the Orthodox, mainly because we are actually REALLY close but the few items that separate us are kind if a "he said, she said" marital spat.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Motown, I have to ask…just what about the Bible do you believe is true…but you still keeps you awake and makes you uncomfortable?

If I can shoot straight with you, what I’m reading is that you understand the human hearts need for God, that man cannot live without Him…but ultimately he has to fit into your mold.
The most serious problem isn’t whether or not you believe if there were dinosaurs walking with men…but are men sinners in need of a Savior?

I read all these comments declaring what you are… but do you understand what the Bible tells you that you are not?
Are you simply a religious man who live a good life and wants to add some extra God for good measure ….or are you a sinner…a broken man in need of a savior?
Just why did Jesus die and rise again?

The are many Catholics and Baptist (fill in the blank) who will tell you whatever you want to hear….but the only Catholics or who are telling you the truth are the ones who will tell you that the most important question to ask your heart is not first what you believe about the Pope….but what you believe about Jesus.

The "core” of salvation is not religion my friend. The world has plenty of religions, shoot, it sounds like you may be on the right track to simply making up your own new version.
There are even plenty of jesus's to go around ...but only one Jesus Christ.
The core of salvation is Truth…and there can only be one Truth.

You misunderstand.

I am not saying that God has to fit into my mold at all. I believe that God is who he is and not some construct that I can shape to fit my desires.

That said, I cannot help but reject a the literal interpretation of much of the scriptures, particularly the book of Genesis. I believe that there are too many observable facts to contradict many of the fables in Genesis. There are too many observable facts to contradict the belief in a young Earth or the 144 hour creation. I think that the story of the Tower of Babel and the story of Job are parables and not literal documentations of actual historical events.

These may seem like insignificant points to base one's faith on, but you have to understand the perspective from which my early belief in God was founded. When someone believes that the Bible is a literal book full of absolute facts and that the stories contained in it are factual records of actual events and that belief in the infallibility of The Bible is a core article of faith, then evidence contradicting those stories shakes the very foundation of your faith. Some Christians will tell you that if the Bible is 100% literal, accurate and true the it is worthless and there is no point in having any faith. This is the brand of Christianity that I was raised to believe in.

However, I am more inclined to believe that the purpose of the Bible is to tell you how to behave with respect to your fellow man and the nature of God. That is a very different outlook than what I was raised to believe though.

Do I believe that I am a sinner in need of God's mercy and Jesus' sacrifice? Yes.

Do I believe that Jesus was born of a virgin, crucified died and was buried, and on the third day rose again? Yes.

Do I believe that faith without works is dead and that faith must also show fruits such as love, charity, humility and grace? Yes.

Do I believe that God everything which exists was created over a 144 hour period 6,000 years ago? No.

That may seem insignificant, but it is not. Most of the Christians I know would call it heresy.

We may have disagreements on Gen chapter one...but not 1st John.
Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that [spirit] of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world
Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I would sugest you
1. read your bible
2. find a church that asks you to bring your bible. Reason is to make sure what is taught is in the bible. Let me ask you this the Bible teaches there is Heaven or Hell to spend eternity in. Would you trust a church that does not encourge you to bring your bible to see what is taught in the bible. Point would sign a contract without reading it first.

Jesus came so we no longer need to depend on priests to mediate for forgiveness. I simply need to know Jesus and know Jesus is my Savior. No need to depend on a preist for forgiveness.  

5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,
Finally Jesus said.
6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

You seem to be answering the OP's original question by saying "The Catholic Church is not right for you because it disagrees with Protestant doctrine regarding the interpretation of the bible and the role of the priest, and that the Protestant view is the correct one."  You are certainly entitled to your viewpoint.  But you are trying to prove that the literal interpretation of the Bible is correct by relying on...literal interpretations of the Bible.  From a logical standpoint, that is a fallacy.  Which only doubles the problem with your argument, which is trying to address matters of faith as if they were subject to objective reasoning.  This denies the very nature of faith, which is the ability to believe and find truth in things that cannot be proven.

To the OP: Attend some masses at different churches.  Talk to the congregations, ask about the other Catholic parishes in the area.  Each one has it's own character, both in the nature of the Church architecture, the "flavor" of the mass (the liturgy itself is standardized, but the hymns and homily vary), and the character of the congregation.  You will find God everywhere you look in the world if you try - you just need to look for the people and the place that suits your search best.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I would sugest you
1. read your bible

Finally Jesus said.

You seem to be answering the OP's original question by saying "The Catholic Church is not right for you because it disagrees with Protestant doctrine regarding the interpretation of the bible and the role of the priest, and that the Protestant view is the correct one."  You are certainly entitled to your viewpoint.  But you are trying to prove that the literal interpretation of the Bible is correct by relying on...literal interpretations of the Bible.  From a logical standpoint, that is a fallacy.  Which only doubles the problem with your argument, which is trying to address matters of faith as if they were subject to objective reasoning.  This denies the very nature of faith, which is the ability to believe and find truth in things that cannot be proven.

To the OP: Attend some masses at different churches.  Talk to the congregations, ask about the other Catholic parishes in the area.  Each one has it's own character, both in the nature of the Church architecture, the "flavor" of the mass (the liturgy itself is standardized, but the hymns and homily vary), and the character of the congregation.  You will find God everywhere you look in the world if you try - you just need to look for the people and the place that suits your search best.

The Word of God says what it says. Because you disagree, you try and call me protestant which i am not. I am a follower and believer of Jesus Christ. Do you not get it? The God of Creation came to dwell among us a very simple concept. He wants to be in a relationship with us. If God wanted His Holy Word to say something differant than what is written then He would have written it to mean what He wanted it to mean. Let me ask you this are you saved because of your religion? or because you put your trust in Jesus?
1 Corinthians 14:33  
33 For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.
One more thing the catholic church does not save. Jesus saves. He is the one who died in my place not a church.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Why don't you go to a Catholic church and speak in tongues?
The reaction you get may give you the answer your looking for.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I would sugest you
1. read your bible

I am operating under the assumption that what you have been posting is to point out errors in the doctrine of the Catholic Church. If so, please explain for us (using the passages you have previously posted) how the Catholic Church has not upheld traditional Chrsitain beliefs.

The Word of God does not point anyone to a religion. Its point to the finished work of Jesus being the Savior for mankind. If you feel the scripture does not agree with your religions doctrine thats your choice. Don't take it up with me. Again as i have said so many time God's Word says what it says. You guys add stuff to what i write such as (or provides the scripture readings for the service for you), Which i would strongly disagee a church service doing. Here is what Paul us warned men aboutl (speaking of false teachers)
Acts 20:27-30  
27 For I have not shunned to declare to you the whole counsel of God.
28 Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.
29 For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves.
Here is the arguement given to Jesus by the religious.
Religious should have taken what Jesus said literal.
Matthew 12:40
40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Religious should have taken what Jesus said literal
Matthew 26:59-65  
59 Now the chief priests, the elders, and all the council sought false testimony against Jesus to put Him to death,
60 but found none. Even though many false witnesses came forward, they found none. But at last two false witnesses came forward
61 and said, "This fellow said, 'I am able to destroy the temple of God and to build it in three days.' "
62 And the high priest arose and said to Him, "Do You answer nothing? What is it these men testify against You?"
63 But Jesus kept silent. And the high priest answered and said to Him, "I put You under oath by the living God: Tell us if You are the Christ, the Son of God!"
64 Jesus said to him, "It is as you said. Nevertheless, I say to you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven."
65 Then the high priest tore his clothes, saying, "He has spoken blasphemy! What further need do we have of witnesses? Look, now you have heard His blasphemy!
Religious should have taken what jesus said literal
Should have taken what Jesus said literal
Matthew 27:62-66  
62 On the next day, which followed the Day of Preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees gathered together to Pilate,
63 saying, "Sir, we remember, while He was still alive, how that deceiver said, 'After three days I will rise.'                        Note: speaking of Jesus
64 Therefore command that the tomb be made secure until the third day, lest His disciples come by night and steal Him away, and say to the people, 'He has risen from the dead.' So the last deception will be worse than the first."
65 Pilate said to them, "You have a guard; go your way, make it as secure as you know how."
66 So they went and made the tomb secure, sealing the stone and setting the guard.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well here is what God had man record about His creation so they would know how things came about.)
Point (1) Genesis 1:1
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Point (2) Genesis 1:3
3 Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.

Point 3 God madae light
Genesis 1:4-5
4 And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness.
5 God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.
Very important point a day is still one revolution of the earth it also estabilshes time.

Point 4 God made the Heavens
Genesis 1:7-8
7 Thus God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament; and it was so.
8 And God called the firmament Heaven. So the evening and the morning were the second day. ( Remember one revolution of the eath = one day

Point 5 God makes dry land and plants that already reproduce seeds to what?
Genesis 1:9-13
9 Then God said, "Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear"; and it was so.
10 And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters He called Seas. And God saw that it was good.
11 Then God said, "Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb that yields seed, and the fruit tree that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself, on the earth"; and it was so.
12 And the earth brought forth grass, the herb that yields seed according to its kind, and the tree that yields fruit, whose seed is in itself according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
13 So the evening and the morning were the third day.
Remember one revolution of the earth = one day, not bad for three days work just speaking thing into being.

Point 6
Genesis 1:14-19
14 Then God said, "Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years;
15 and let them be for lights in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth"; and it was so.
16 Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also.
17 God set them in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth,
18 and to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good.
19 So the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
Remember one day = one revolution of the earth. When the earth goes once around the sun it = one year and the tilt of the earth gives us our season as we go around the sun in one year.

Point 7 All God does is speak and wham in the 4th day of creation all the heavens are made complete even the light that travels from the farthest star reaching earth in one day.
Genesis 1:20-23
20 Then God said, "Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the face of the firmament of the heavens."
21 So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that moves, with which the waters abounded, according to their kind, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
22 And God blessed them, saying, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth."
23 So the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
Remember one day = one revolution of the earth. When the earth goes once around the sun it = one year and the tilt of the earth gives us our season as we go around the sun in one year.

Point 8 God creates man on the 6th day.
Genesis 1:26-31
26 Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."
27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth."
29 And God said, "See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food.
30 Also, to every beast of the earth, to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, in which there is life, I have given every green herb for food"; and it was so.
31 Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good. So the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
Remember one day = one revolution of the earth. When the earth goes once around the sun it = one year and the tilt of the earth gives us our season as we go around the sun in one year

So i will end here. The bible, Gods Holy Word does tells us about His creation and how it came about and how long it took Him 6 days.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm no expert so cannot speak on teachings or beliefs, but I have been to more than a few Catholic churches and from that learned a lot. This is about how I felt at each "type."

I found that modernized churches with alters in the middle and open like a gymnasium left me feeling like I had NOT attended a mass at all, like no meaningful worship took place and God was not present during any of it. People also seemed really happy, before, during and after the service. It felt really weird to me. Almost cult like. But not God like. I feel uncomfortable in those churches and around those people.

A huge step up, a more traditional church leaves me feeling like I have been to church service, but that something is still missing. It felt like it was the right place but still only half done. People were normal. What a relief. I spent most of my life in and out of this "type" of church.

Then I found a traditional looking church WITH a Communion rail. People really bowed down in reverence in the direction of the alter and the sanctuary lamp as they entered and knelt for communion. The people looked like they respected God and were there to worship him, not just go to church. It was like a time machine to the 1950's. Very nice people with wonderful children. It was a long drive on Sunday morning, but worth it. It feels like God is there.

Then I went to Latin mass at the same traditional looking church. It was pure 16th century. I couldn't understand much of what was being said or sung, but I could follow along reading the translations and it was beautiful.

Then I went to a High Mass. Most of it is prayer. The choir sings the mass as a prayer. It's the most beautiful mass of them all and may be closest thing to heaven you can experience on earth. It is like no other mass I have ever been to.

I can't offer anything on Bible interpretations, but this is the way I feel having been at Catholic churches and services over the years. Go to a high mass for your answers.  

To my mind, this is the most critical thing that Catholicism and Orthodoxy have to recommend the, the devotion to the Sacraments, especially the Eucharist.

It's one of those things you either appreciate or don't.  I truly believe that the Eucharist is real, for reasons relating to Spirit/Form transcending Matter/Substance.  If you don't think you can believe in the Sacrament, then Catholicism probably isn't for you (although, if you're open to the rationale behind it, you'll see that it's perfectly consistent with both the theology and scripture).  You either believe God is all powerful and able to transcend mere materiality or you don't.

Also, I have to laugh that people who are so quick to talk about 'sola scriptura' and things the Catholic Church 'made up' go silent on the Eucharist . The instance where Jesus spoke of the True Presence was perhaps the single most clear and unequivocal thing he said in the Bible.  Give the choice to parse his statement, he not only repeated it, but challenged people to reject it.

And their reply - "To whom shall we go, Lord?"

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Also, I have to laugh that people who are so quick to talk about 'sola scriptura' and things the Catholic Church 'made up' go silent on the Eucharist . The instance where Jesus spoke of the True Presence was perhaps the single most clear and unequivocal thing he said in the Bible.  Give the choice to parse his statement, he not only repeated it, but challenged people to reject it.

And their reply - "To whom shall we go, Lord?"

This is where we have to be careful, my friend. Lutherans subscribe to Sola Scriptura AND the Real Presence of Christ's body and blood in Communion. We disagree on how it happens with your church, but we do agree that he is there. Actually we don't claim to know how it happens, but he said it (Sola Scriptura) and therefore it is. We differ from you in the number of sacraments; (we have two, Baptism and Communion) but we believe they are a means of Grace, not ordinances. Clearly the Spirit is active in the sacraments.

As I posted earlier, We protestants (technically we're not really Protestants, but reformers, but that name was already taken and means something entirely different) don't agree on LOTS of things. Lutherans, at least conservative ones hold services that you probably would find somewhat familiar. We're even liturgical and frequently when Cattitude posts the Scripture readings for Sundays, we're studying the same ones. (except for the apocrypha)

Lutherans reject only what we believe the Catholic church erred in and adhere to what we agree is not in error. Sometimes we feel that some of the other "Protestant" denominations have the attitude, "If it's Catholic, it must be wrong!" Make no mistake though, there is still much disagreement with your church.

Some believe you must use reason to interpret the Bible. We do not. We believe that man's reason, coming from a sinful, imperfect being, must be subordinate to God's innerrant Word. We must admit that sometimes that leaves us with "I don't know and the Bible doesn't say, so I'm not going to guess" as the only anwer we can offer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If it's a Catholic Charismatic church, they'll find him perfectly at home.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's a Catholic Charismatic church, they'll find him perfectly at home.

This got me thinking, perhaps our OP (if he's still around) would be interested in The Journey Home, a show on EWTN hosted by Marcus Grodi featuring the faith journey of people converting or reverting to the Catholic Church.  There have been many converts from Pentecostal backgrounds but the one that came to mind is Deacon Alex Jones.  He was a Pentecostal minister who after reading about the early Christians, started re-enacting early Church services - he gradually realized his services looked a lot like a Catholic Mass.  He and somewhere around 50 members of his congregation eventually converted to Catholicism.  You can watch the episode here..
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Well, seeing as how I'm Catholic, and I went to an orthodox, charismatic university where probably half the student body prayed in tongues...

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#20]
well i for one am glad this thread is hear, i learned allot. this is a question i have been thinking on my self.  i  didnt grow up  in a church my parents didn't believe. my friends were catholic, i allays was amazed how happy they seemed and had purpose. i went of to school and life and never felt the way they did. i have since done allot of soul searching , i have went to many main stream churches and still dont get that feeling, that my friends i grew up with have. i am afraid there not any catholic churches close to me to even find somebody to ask. so i think you for the info. good luck motown_steve with your search.

Ronald.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

well i for one am glad this thread is hear, i learned allot. this is a question i have been thinking on my self.  i  didnt grow up  in a church my parents didn't believe. my friends were catholic, i allays was amazed how happy they seemed and had purpose. i went of to school and life and never felt the way they did. i have since done allot of soul searching , i have went to many main stream churches and still dont get that feeling, that my friends i grew up with have. i am afraid there not any catholic churches close to me to even find somebody to ask. so i think you for the info. good luck motown_steve with your search.

Ronald.

PM me your location in Missouri, and I might be able to find one.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top