Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So what if they are?  I don't think there are any whacked out bad guys hanging out here, well except that Blazin Saddles Glory guy or something like that.  I shoot with a bunch of Gun Nut feds and Cops.  They think the gun laws are silly. [red]Offically they enforce them and it's just a job. [/red]
View Quote

Sad, very sad.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Since my other thread started all of this...

I am not a tinfoil hat-type. I actually am a software architect working for a firm who develops applications for municipal government. If I were a TRUE paranoid, I wouldn't even consider such a position. However, because I work with government on a daily basis, I have the opportunity to see the heightened level of ignorance that goes on. I am not afraid of an insidious plot so much as I am afraid of the prospects of being caught in the middle of some buffoonery gone haywire.

I have seen people who have mistakenly inherited felony criminal records because some dumbass clerk typed the wrong social security # in the database. I have seen cases where the innocent person was arrested and booked on some really heinous charges wherein they had never done a thing.

It reminds me that the government is comprised of millions of people who are not necessarily even qualified to pump gas, let alone represent the people and oversee an organization. I am also reminded that the government is an organization where nearly all services and goods procured are the result of seeking the LOWEST BID on the RFP. Then you have the stereotypical infighting and politicking that goes on between departments and branches. With all of the negative aspects of our government stacked up to work against efficiency, productivity, and success, it's would come as no surprise to me if someone were mistakenly indentified as a wanted felon and incarcerated or killed by a broken system.

I am a professional, normal(?), GenX nerd with a wife, credit card debt, barbecue cookouts, etc... I have never been arrested for anything. I have never been involved in any surreptitious activity. It makes me downright uncomfortable that I might be under some sort of observation or investigation, even in the most passive sense. Who knows what the hell could happen.

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Weird, there was a reply here by Paul that disappeared.

However, as you said in it, It's easier to go after the server itself than to go after the sniffed traffic unless you're already in the middle and can fool both sides.  The sessions where the data is transferred are secure, to a point, but generally the server or server farm has a soft underbelly that lets you in with minimal effort.  You may have to get in indirectly, but I've bounced around servers in the DMZ until I was able to get into the SQL database server on the inside that had the relevant information.  Nothing like showing a customer their secure DMZ is only as secure as the machines inside of it.

Dug Song has written a set of sniffing applications called dsniff that has tools for executing man in the middle attacks with specific tools to attack SSH v1 and SSL.  I believe it's at [url]http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/dsniff[/url]

As far as Black Hat Briefings go, those are fun.  Do you ever stay for DefCon the weekend after the briefings?  They have a shoot on Sunday, and there's a guy from a Class II manufacturer that's bringing some exotic toys.  I may make the trip to Las Vegas this year strictly to shoot the FN P90 he's bringing.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hell yes they are.  Where do you think they go to get the answers to question about all those gun laws?? [;)]
View Quote

LMAO!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:17:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what if they are?  I don't think there are any whacked out bad guys hanging out here, well except that Blazin Saddles Glory guy or something like that.  I shoot with a bunch of Gun Nut feds and Cops.  They think the gun laws are silly. [red]Offically they enforce them and it's just a job. [/red]
View Quote

Sad, very sad.

Sgtar15
View Quote
Tells you a lot about the character of these "gun nut feds and cops" doesn't it.

As for do they watch these boards: [url]http://assaultweb.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/227776.html[/url]

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top