User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My new samsung smart led looks way better than my samsung plasma did.  Less pixelated looking.  It has micro dimming too which gives it amazing contrast.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm trying to not sound snobby but anyone who thinks that a typical LED TV in a big box store looks better than a plasma is obviously not a videophile...

LCD/LED looks phony, plasma looks real!

I think you sound like a photographer in 2001 that claims digital cameras will never come close to the picture quality of film.
  And I didn't say Typical LED TV..   But there are better LED TV's than plasma TVs.  

My new samsung smart led looks way better than my samsung plasma did.  Less pixelated looking.  It has micro dimming too which gives it amazing contrast.

Unless you spent thousands of dollars your "micro dimming" still doesn't come close to plasma contrast darks...
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Then how come every time I go to the stores, side by side the LED's blow away the plasmas?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
3d is a gimmick.

Plasma TV's >>> LED.

Then how come every time I go to the stores, side by side the LED's blow away the plasmas?

Watch something that moves fast on an LED.....Motion blur, even with a high refresh. Its not a true LED unless it is a OMLED.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a LG 3D LCD Smart TV and it's great, beside the fact that I have found no use for the 3D beside a headache.

Smart TV's are great and I'll probably never buy another that's not, but 3D is just a gimmick like HDDVD was
View Quote

My LG passive 3d messed with my eyes enough to border on giving me headaches.  Almost felt like I was crossing my eyes to see the effect.  I had heard that active 3d was worse on the eyes, but I experience almost no discomfort when viewing my active 3d tv.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a nice Panasonic plasma a couple years ago now, it has 3d which I've used once, maybe twice.  I remember thinking how great it would be if they would just charge me less, take out 3d and all the smart features.  Read reviews on the picture quality and just get the best picture you can afford,  plug in an Apple TV if you need smart features.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Just sayin, I've had both and the new samsung led is way better than my samsung plasma to me.  To each their own I suppose, but just because something looks better on paper or in theory doesn't make it better in the real world.  I bought the plasma 'cause I heard they were better, I bought the LED 'cause it just looks better to me, bottom line.  A smart shopper would spend some time looking at both and picking what looked best to them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer the plasma.  I like to see the ball move around when I watch sports.  Can't even see the puck when watching hockey on a LED.  It's all about refresh rates!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#8]
While I agree that a plasma is superior in many ways (refresh rate and blacks most notably), I picked up a Samsung 60" LED at a good price, $999. and after doing a proper calibration, I couldn't tell the difference except if I am up close to it.  

An important note about LEDs, when I had seen them at friends' houses I was turned off by a certain weird picture/clarity issue that is hard to explain.  Movies looked like they were shot documentary style, with a comcorder.  It turns out after a proper calibration, I used this, that weird picture is much more refined.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Been using a Panny plasma since 2006. Best tv I've owned. I know it's time to upgrade, but there is nothing wrong with this one, so it's hard to justify.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I absolutely detest 3D crap. it is a gimmick and does not enhance my viewing I any way. I can't wait for this fad to end.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:06:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Plasma is the best format by far. Dont believe me. Do some research.
But for the low quality content the cable and dish providers put out for 90% of the time
Led tv's actually appear better in my opinion.
But
The question was whether or not 3d was worth the xtra cost

I say no. Very little content out there that is actually 3d. And very little on the way
So no to 3d. Use the extra money to buy a better or BIGGER tv
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Been using a Panny plasma since 2006. Best tv I've owned. I know it's time to upgrade, but there is nothing wrong with this one, so it's hard to justify.
View Quote

Same here since 2008. Best TV I have ever owned. Of course I had a 21 inch Mitsubishi for about 15 years.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top