BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have an axe to grind with Iran.

I would fully back Israel in any endevour they chose with regard to Iran.

Iran has been a thorn in our side since 1979, they have repeatedly encouraged terrorist and extreme acts against the US.

The have supplied arms to insurgants in Iraq as well as infultrated their own Spec-Ops groups into Iraq to train insurgants as well as carry out attacks against US servicemen, in Iraq.

Iran has in my mind committed repeated acts of war against the US in Iraq.  If I were the president of the US, I would be gathering all the information and evidence I could about Iran's involvement in Iraq and use it as an excuse to carry out and extended bombing campaign on Iran, while I allowed the newly formed Iraqi and Kurdish governments to carve up Iran as I saw fit.

About 70% of Iran's population is under the age of 30 so they were born after the revolution in 1979.  Based off just the last few days it's apparent those people have so say in what their government does.  So your idea is to hold all those people accountable for a situation not of their making which they're powerless to do anything about and make them pay for the sins of their parents by bombing the shit out of them now?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shower them with western culture.  Smuggle in makeup through Iraq and Afghanistan.  Music and tawdry magazines.  Radios with plenty of radio stations in the neighboring countries.

they already have all that stuff. They are HIGH TECH. Havent you noticed how done up the women are?  Persian women are some of the most beautiful. I should know....

You oughta see Farhad's wife....

She is drop-dead gorgeous.

HH

They age well, dress fashionable even with their headcoverings and do not wear those homemade vests that Texas women wear (I grew up in Houston).  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe GD isn't the best place for this question.  Maybe try the World Events Forum?  Even though you requested no "nuke 'em all" replies, most people are posting nonsense or regurgitating nonsense they've heard, read or seen somewhere else instead of using some logic and reason.  Even the best response in the thread, from the Psychopolitical MASTER no less, is severely lacking.  

Quoted:
I'd like to hear what everyone has to say regarding the problem that Iran presents to the world.  Just how would you handle the issue?

What problem do they present to the world?  According to DK's post below, Iran seems to be getting along with everyone else in the world just fine.

Quoted:
I would cut a deal (whatever it takes) with the Russians, Chinese and French/Germans to TOTALLY freeze Iran out of all the markets they want access to, and to cripple them.  Once the mullahs realize just how pissed off the younger generation in Iran is getting at their shenanigans and the consequences, then they'd be willing to negotiate seriously.

So, we should do whatever is in our power to cripple and de-stabilize the country so we'll have an upper hand to negotiate, and when we have things sorted out and in our favor, we can go ahead and somehow re-stabilize the place and undo the crippling we dished out?  That's your great plan?

They don't like Israel.  So what?  It's like you don't like one of your neighbors down the street.  So what?  Just don't talk to them.  Or if one of your neighbors doesn't like you for whatever reason (real or imagined).  So what?  Just ignore them.  Get on with your life and continue dealing with all your other neighbors respectfully and fairly.  Get over it.

They want to harness nuclear power / nuclear energy.  So?  Who doesn't?  They want a nuke?  Most reasonable folks would agree that there's no evidence of this, but ok, for sake of argument.  So what?  Everyone else has one (Israel, Pakistan, India, North Korea, UK, France, Russia, China, et al) so why can't they?

Find something else to worry about.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#4]
A B2 takes off on a training mission... 24hrs later most all of the Mullahs in Iran die in a mysterious explosions...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would use the CIA to foment internal dissension and an overthrow of Iran's current rulers.

About the only viable option left.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shower them with western culture. Smuggle in makeup through Iraq and Afghanistan. Music and tawdry magazines. Radios with plenty of radio stations in the neighboring countries.

According to my buddy, many already love western culture....not sure that would really work now.

HH

To them, it is like illegal drugs for us.  They would LOVE to have MORE of it.  Because of Islamic laws against it, they have very little.

Why do you think a LOT of the protest signs are in ENGLISH?  They WANT video games, music, and all the other freedoms.  Hell, I bet they WANT to taste BACON.  Or REAL Pepperoni on a REAL American pizza.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iran has been a thorn in our side since 1979, they have repeatedly encouraged terrorist and extreme acts against the US.

The have supplied arms to insurgants in Iraq as well as infultrated their own Spec-Ops groups into Iraq to train insurgants as well as carry out attacks against US servicemen, in Iraq.

Iran has in my mind committed repeated acts of war against the US in Iraq.  If I were the president of the US, I would be gathering all the information and evidence I could about Iran's involvement in Iraq and use it as an excuse to carry out and extended bombing campaign on Iran, while I allowed the newly formed Iraqi and Kurdish governments to carve up Iran as I saw fit.

About 70% of Iran's population is under the age of 30 so they were born after the revolution in 1979.  Based off just the last few days it's apparent those people have so say in what their government does.  So your idea is to hold all those people accountable for a situation not of their making which they're powerless to do anything about and make them pay for the sins of their parents by bombing the shit out of them now?

Yes .How many innocent people were killed in Japan . We are  ultimatley responsible for the Actions of our Government !
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Shower them with western culture.  Smuggle in makeup through Iraq and Afghanistan.  Music and tawdry magazines.  Radios with plenty of radio stations in the neighboring countries.

Letterman.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:09:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maybe GD isn't the best place for this question.  Maybe try the World Events Forum?  Even though you requested no "nuke 'em all" replies, most people are posting nonsense or regurgitating nonsense they've heard, read or seen somewhere else instead of using some logic and reason.  Even the best response in the thread, from the Psychopolitical MASTER no less, is severely lacking.  

Quoted:
I'd like to hear what everyone has to say regarding the problem that Iran presents to the world.  Just how would you handle the issue?

What problem do they present to the world?  According to DK's post below, Iran seems to be getting along with everyone else in the world just fine.

Quoted:
I would cut a deal (whatever it takes) with the Russians, Chinese and French/Germans to TOTALLY freeze Iran out of all the markets they want access to, and to cripple them.  Once the mullahs realize just how pissed off the younger generation in Iran is getting at their shenanigans and the consequences, then they'd be willing to negotiate seriously.

So, we should do whatever is in our power to cripple and de-stabilize the country so we'll have an upper hand to negotiate, and when we have things sorted out and in our favor, we can go ahead and somehow re-stabilize the place and undo the crippling we dished out?  That's your great plan?

They don't like Israel.  So what?  It's like you don't like one of your neighbors down the street.  So what?  Just don't talk to them.  Or if one of your neighbors doesn't like you for whatever reason (real or imagined).  So what?  Just ignore them.  Get on with your life and continue dealing with all your other neighbors respectfully and fairly.  Get over it.

They want to harness nuclear power / nuclear energy.  So?  Who doesn't?  They want a nuke?  Most reasonable folks would agree that there's no evidence of this, but ok, for sake of argument.  So what?  Everyone else has one (Israel, Pakistan, India, North Korea, UK, France, Russia, China, et al) so why can't they?

Tell Washington this....I'm sure they'll take your advice under advisement...they'll be looking forward to your thoughts.

HH
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Shower them with western culture. Smuggle in makeup through Iraq and Afghanistan. Music and tawdry magazines. Radios with plenty of radio stations in the neighboring countries.

According to my buddy, many already love western culture....not sure that would really work now.

HH

To them, it is like illegal drugs for us.  They would LOVE to have MORE of it.  Because of Islamic laws against it, they have very little.

Why do you think a LOT of the protest signs are in ENGLISH?  They WANT video games, music, and all the other freedoms.  Hell, I bet they WANT to taste BACON.  Or REAL Pepperoni on a REAL American pizza.

My whole point, bud.

HH
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

As weird as this sounds, some Iranians have clandestine "bacon parties."

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

HH

Fox showed one of the protesters this morning wearing the standard green shirt but with three big letters across the chest: "G-A-P".  It would seem some of our culture is already there and fairly widely accepted.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is an extremely difficult question to come up with a good answer to.

Most Iranians are fairly pro-western, but they are still pretty paranoid about foreign intervention/influence.  Of course, some of the younger Iranians might be less inclined to refuse assistance from us, but it still presents a tricky situation.

I tend to agree with DK's comments, but unfortunately I don't see Russia or especially China playing ball.  China is very reliant on Iran's oil/natural gas, and unless they thought they would get a better deal quickly, I don't think we could provide the incentive.

It would be unfortunate to not assist the Iranian opposition and be able to take advantage of this situation, but an overplayed hand could backfire easily.  Sorry I didn't have any good ideas to add.  Hopefully I contributed positively to the discussion though.

In a semi related note, I wonder what the Mujahedeen e-Khalq (hybrid Marxist/Islamist Iranian opposition group) is doing?  I know the U.S. wants them out of Iraq (where they are in exile).  It sounds like a really horrible combination, but they are reportedly still partially armed, and would theoretically be willing to attack government forces in Iran.

Sounds very reasonable to me, Con.

This is not an easy solution by any stretch.

HH
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell Washington this....I'm sure they'll take your advice under advisement...they'll be looking forward to your thoughts.

HH

I hear you.  But since when did we start thinking that what they do and say in "Washington" has anything to do with reason, logic or reality?

Have fun with this thread.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The definition of "since" is from that time until now.  Yes, these were the sins of there parents and these things are still happening now.  The war in Iraq is happening now and we have been repeatedly attacked by their Spec-Ops groups and insurgants armed with current Iranian weapons.  I'm making the point that Iran as been instigating terrorists attack against us for the past 30 years and today we are still dealing with the same people.  

Also I'm not talking about carpet bombing civlians, we have the capability to bring Iran's military to it's knee's and that is what I am talking about.  Totally breaking their military's back and allowing the civilians to do the rest.  If they are not capable, then allowing their neighbors to carve it up.

The current Iranian government needs to be liquidated.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bombs. A whole bunch of bombs. For quite a long time. Til the bombs ran out.

Thank you for asking.

...just where would you drop the bombs?

HH

Well, since the original question stated Iran, then Iran?

ETA: ICONS, ICONS!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes .How many innocent people were killed in Japan . We are  ultimatley responsible for the Actions of our Government !

We were in a declared war with Japan and before we bombed Hiroshima we dropped leaflets informing the population that they were living in an area we were thinking of bombing in the next few days.  We also included a list of the other places we were thinking of bombing so they wouldn't run to safety in another target zone by mistake.  The post I responded to was advocating a massive carpet bombing of the entire country.  The difference between that plan and what we did in Japan is so stark I can't believe I'm having to explain it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's disappointing that this original point got a 2nd from the crowd, but to be fair, the thread title is How would YOU handle them.  That said, I count my blessings that neither of you fellows have any say or influence regarding policy decisions.

"Hey Iranians, we weren't bombing you, but now that you people are showing your opposition to your crappy government and trying to overthrow your nutjob dictator, we're going to bomb you."  Frightening.

May I second the

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

I hear you.  But since when did we start thinking that what they do and say in "Washington" has anything to do with reason, logic or reality?

So true.  We'll see D.C. be a world-follower...not a leader here.  Amateur-boy has NO idea or clue what to do.

He and is admin are completely incompetent and lost.

HH
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for asking.

HH

I dont think he cares -because it just sounds so cool to say "Bomb'em"  

So with his logic, if TX decides to leave the Union then we can just drop bombs until Houston, Dallas and the rest of little Mexico is gone... Heck, They have oil too.

Hypothetical answer to a hypothetical interrogitive statement. Where is the misinterpretation of logic?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for asking.

HH

C'mon Scott...would you kill civilians that are pro-West?  Seriously, where would you bomb them...nuke sites....gov facilities....?

HH
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I would have nuked them during the hostage crisis, they would be a non issue.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We were in a declared war with Japan and before we bombed Hiroshima we dropped leaflets informing the population that they were living in an area we were thinking of bombing in the next few days.  We also included a list of the other places we were thinking of bombing so they wouldn't run to safety in another target zone by mistake.  The post I responded to was advocating a massive carpet bombing of the entire country.  The difference between that plan and what we did in Japan is so stark I can't believe I'm having to explain it.

No I  wasn't.  An "extended" bombing campaign doesn't equal carpet bombing civilains in any shape or form.  That is the way you precieved it.  I can "extendingly" bomb the shit out of countries military without needing to target civilians or infrastrucuture as long as their miltary has the means to wage war.

What I meant was, I would literally gut Iran's military in every shape and form for as long as I could, until it's soldiers came out of the desert surrendering to us.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

So true.  We'll see D.C. be a world-follower...not a leader here.  Amateur-boy has NO idea or clue what to do.

He and is admin are completely incompetent and lost.

HH

Come on, there isnt much difference between running a midnight basketball outreach program and running US foreign policy...

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for asking.

HH

C'mon Scott...would you kill civilians that are pro-West?  Seriously, where would you bomb them...nuke sites....gov facilities....?

Ok. You want a serious type answer. Here is a semi type serious answer.

Do you not think that of all the people in Japan at the tail end of WWII, with the dropping of bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, we did not kill THOUSANDS  of supporters of the end of the war of some kind? Do you actually think that every Japanese, in 1945, in either of those two cities was sure Japan was still foing to be victorious? Do you think we did NOT kill some American sympathizing Nipponese?

WE killed sympathizers then, it's happened since. I'm sure that it will happen again, maybe even closer to home..

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for asking.

HH

Ok. You want a serious type answer. Here is a semi type serious answer.

Do you not think that of all the people in Japan at the tail end of WWII, with the dropping of bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, we did not kill THOUSANDS  of supporters of the end of the war of some kind? Do you actually think that every Japanese, in 1945, in either of those two cities was sure Japan was still foing to be victorious? Do you think we did NOT kill some American sympathizing Nipponese?

WE killed sympathizers then, it's happened since. I'm sure that it will happen again, maybe even closer to home..

This was very well thought out

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I would have nuked them during the hostage crisis, they would be a non issue.

Lol, I'm sure the hostages would have really appreciated your aggressive stance!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#28]
One serious peace summit. Tell them (everyone in the middle east) in no uncertain terms, you better start playing nice in the sand box or else. Playing nice in the sandbox means leaving Israel alone, no nukes, we will be hands off as much as possible, we will buy your oil but we are done sticking our nose in your business.

Every time you fuck up there will be nothing short of a week long massive bombing campaign with MOABs and Daisey cutters on the closest city to where the offense occured. When I say massive I mean making shock and awe look like a small minor street skirmish, indiscriminate destruction just short of nuclear.

They will test us but only a few times, mabey only once.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They already have all that. If you hadn't noticed from the protesting pictures, the women are covered in makeup from Europe, and people there are covered in European clothing labels.

Furthermore, they get a very diverse selection of media programming there, as a result of the widespread use of satellite dishes; they get access to U.S., British, German, French, Arab, etc. Television networks.

The western ideas, culture and products are getting in already. No need to smuggle them from Iraq; they have free trade with Europe.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#30]
I would send them Celine Dion.  Just like Canada did to us.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://emmaline2.homestead.com/files/nuke4.jpg

Nah, just kidding, thats above my pay scale.

I knew you were kidding, but I'm looking for doable, workable solutions like DK posted.

HH

DK's solution is the best possible...except possibly for the "cut a deal" part.

Don't just sever the major trading lines though, cut them ALL. Starve them of all foreign commerce. Destroy the economy, and you'll destroy the government.

ETA: just finished reading it... Negotiate with Iran? If you have to negotiate, you haven't weakened them sufficiently.

The only sanctions that would have enough of an impact on Iran's economy to make a difference is to prevent them from selling oil. China, Japan, and other important players who rely on Iran for oil won't allow that.

The other possible sanctions: cutting off export credit, cutting off foreign investment, sanctions on companies that provide Iran with gasoline, all will have some effect. But they aren't going to stop them from pushing forward with their program.

The gasoline sanctions can be worked around by doing deals under the table with suppliers, re-routing shipments with false buyers, etc. etc. Iraq proved it could cheat sanctions. It's likely Iran will have an even easier time doing so, since the constraints placed on Iran will be much lower than post-war Iraq.

The cutting off of investment, especially in Iran's capital starved energy sector will prevent them from expanding and replacing their ability to pump oil. Iran's oil output continues to fall, and their own domestic energy use continues to rise, causing them to export less and less oil. That means that their primary source of income is going to continue to shrink, unless foreign capital is provided. Cutting off this possibility will put pressure on the regime; however, as we have seen, Governments and Companies have continued to defy the political risks involved with investing in Iran, and have cut huge oil and gas deals. These spoilers will continue to do so, especially as Iran becomes more desperate and begins offering "Sweetheart deals" to get the capital they need.

The cutting of export credits by the Europeans will also hurt, and will restrict Iran's ability to trade with European companies. But the Europeans have yet to get tough in making this policy. The Euros make big bucks off Iranian trade (Iran's #1 trading partner: especially Germany & Italy); the Europeans will receive push back from domestic economic interests to forgo strict enforcement of export credit cuts; it has the potential to hurt several substantial European companies.

So... what does all that mean. Sanctions can have an effect... but like we have seen with sanctions historically, they can be side-stepped, cheated, ignored, and generally fail to have the desired effect. People choose greed and money over effective policy.

If we allow the past to inform the future, sanctions will fall short, and not prevent Iran from continuing with their policies.

Now... you're going to ask what do I suggest then, right?

I have no fucking idea. I don't know if stopping them at this point is possible. Militarily delay is the best we can hope for... maybe 2 years. All the other options seem like half measures bound to fail.

Personally I think we'll eventually resort to a policy of nuclear containment; Iran will eventually be accepted as a nuclear power, like North Korea is gaining acceptance now. We'll provide a nuclear umbrella to our allies to deter Iranian aggressiveness, and we'll urge Israel take their nuclear posture from one of ambiguity to that of overt nuclear power. We'll then try to prevent and contain any follow on proliferation in the region.

Edited for grammar, spelling, punctuation... etc etc.

ETA: I hope I'm wrong... that sanctions do work, and we find a way to get the Iranians to the table. Sanctions' history of failure leaves me with little hope though. Hopefully, someone smarter than all of us will come forward with a plan to prevent this crisis from progressing any further.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thank you for asking.

Bomb bomb bomb...bomb bomb Iran...Bomb bomb bomb...bomb bomb Iran...

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:09:21 PM EDT
[#33]
A modest proposal

I'd give them the ARK Option.

Every Iranian who wanted to live a good life in the modern world (post 1300 AD) could show up at port for pick up for a brief cruise in the persian gulf.

Then the Neutron Bombs would go off above the rest of Iran then those who chose to get "ON" the boat / program could come back and repopulate a modern / less crazy Iran.  

The great thing is that this option has lots of potential in other areas of the world so once we get the logistics of the "cruise" down, we can scale this puppy and move the world forward at warp speed!  

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:11:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

HH

Are you kidding me? LOL

I know people from Iran that have come here recently that know american music better than I do. You should see their IPODs. Yes, they have IPODs. They know most Brittany Spears and Cold Play songs word for word.

Western culture gets in just fine. Movies, music, art, dress and fashion, it's all there in gigantic proportions. And you're right, they love it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:15:29 PM EDT
[#35]
The die was cast in '79.  The U.S. came so close to war with Iran that most people have no clue.  When the hostages were taken at the embassy, Marines aboard one of the MEUs that were in the Persian Gulf at the beginning of the crisis were given OPORDERS and issued ammo.  They stood up for several hours while preperations for an amphibious and verticle envelopement op were under way.  Before H-hour the operation was cancelled.  All that ammo that had been issued was thrown overboard.  

I've heard this story from several former Marines that were there at the time, none of which knew each other as they conveyed the information to me in different geographical locations.

It is my understanding that other U.S. forces (USAF TAC and SAC squadrons and USN carriers) were put on alert to deploy in anticipation of offensive ops against Iranian assets (especially the Iranian F-14s we sold them) to neutralize any retaliatory capabilities they would have to respond to a U.S. attack.  The plan was in place, the Pentagon was ready to go, and Carter called it all off.  He didn't want to upset the Iranians.

The upshot of all this is that a war with Iran is inevitable.  It's just been delayed since '79, but the unfortunate aspect of all this is that the consequences of the delay will be far more catastrophic now than they would have been just six years ago.

Oh well.  Sucks to be an Iranian right now (or in the near future).....
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#36]
sniper komani and a few others.  then leave
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

HH

ETA:  One of my best buddy's from Tehran––Shiite, and has family in Tehran.  Nuking them from earth really isn't an option in my mind, but dealing with the mullahs and their spokesman is, of course, problematic.

Give your best estimate.

HH

1) If possible, develop a black-ops program aimed at getting 'anti-regime' activists on the ground in Tehran, who actually work for the US intelligence community.

Given an oppertunistic civil disturbance, have those operatives attempt to escalate 'distrubance' to open revolt, and provide cover for citizen activists who aren't fortunate enough to have access to all the best toys the US can air-drop.......

If said operatives can disrupt the regime's response enough (IEDs, truck bombs, ambushes, etc).... It might give the Iranians the space they need to have a nice little revolution...

2) If (1) is not possible, the only thing that will work is a full on invasion - USN covers the Gulf, put Marines ashore on the Iranian side of the Strait, to push the Iranians back beyond the radar horizon (if they can't get radar coverage of the strait, their anti-ship missiles are useless), and Army heavy brigades finish off the regime...

No pre-invasion bombing, USAF & USN/USMC Air are used ala 2003 - simultanious air, land, and sea initiation....

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:26:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Elect a muslim president to go over and kiss and make up??  Never mind, we're already trying that one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:25:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I would use the CIA to foment internal dissension and an overthrow of Iran's current rulers.

I would say this. Along with offering training and arms to any groups in Iran that want them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:39:04 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm consistently irritated that our domestic policies aren't in line with reality. Revenue streams are declining, but all facets of government are trying to sustain spending and invent new ways to take on more dependents. They don't seem to understand that they need to make a phased arrangement of spending cuts that marches along until they're in the black, and then return to this same system of cuts each time that their revenue contracts. Every time I hear a politician of any stripe speak, they convince me in short order that they simply don't get it, and I wonder how such a bunch of malfeasants crawled this far forward.

I have a similarly practical attitude towards foreign policies. Our ability to issue edicts and dictate terms to other countries is finite, waning, and will vanish all together if we use it wantonly. When folks seem unnecessarily bellicose or lapse into childish episodes of, "lets just make 'em do whatever we want 'em to do, because I don't like what they do," I wonder again how such busy-bodied idiots remember to breath.

Iran is playing their hand exceptionally well. They're a legitimate and established state with lots of foreign investment, and haven't been handicapped by a decade of sanctions. Americans aren't willing to accept the cost and opportunity-cost that would be required to make Iran how we want it to be via force. They're going to get their nukes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:41:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This is the only way to achieve results in a timely manner.

Too late for the "hearts and minds"crap.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:46:25 AM EDT
[#42]

Tried this in Iraq; didn't work.

No I  wasn't.  An "extended" bombing campaign doesn't equal carpet bombing civilains in any shape or form.  That is the way you precieved it.  I can "extendingly" bomb the shit out of countries military without needing to target civilians or infrastrucuture as long as their miltary has the means to wage war.

Tried this in Viet  Nam; didn't work.

2) If (1) is not possible, the only thing that will work is a full on invasion - USN covers the Gulf, put Marines ashore on the Iranian side of the Strait, to push the Iranians back beyond the radar horizon (if they can't get radar coverage of the strait, their anti-ship missiles are useless), and Army heavy brigades finish off the regime....

Can't; broke, world/American public opinion won't permit it.

Should have dealt with these assholes twenty years ago. Now we're reduced to praying that the Iranian people will overthrow their government with spitwads/slingshots and that whatever replaces it will be more tractable.  Given the prideful, nationalistic nature of a people who are fully cognizant of their imperial glory days, this is far from assured.  Soon whoever is control of Iran will have recourse to nuclear weapons and be in a position to control a significant portion of the world's oil supply.

We're fucked.  We dithered too long.

Just one old woman's opinion; yours may differ.  And that's OK.

Jane

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:48:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
CIA operatives building organizations within Iran and flood the fucking country with M16s and hand grenades. If the rioting crowd had guns then this problem would be over.

this
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:53:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Should have dealt with these assholes twenty years ago.

Jane

Once again , reality rears its ugly head. Thanks Carter

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:34:26 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

2) If (1) is not possible, the only thing that will work is a full on invasion - USN covers the Gulf, put Marines ashore on the Iranian side of the Strait, to push the Iranians back beyond the radar horizon (if they can't get radar coverage of the strait, their anti-ship missiles are useless), and Army heavy brigades finish off the regime....

Should have dealt with these assholes twenty years ago. Now we're reduced to praying that the Iranian people will overthrow their government with spitwads/slingshots and that whatever replaces it will be more tractable.  Given the prideful, nationalistic nature of a people who are fully cognizant of their imperial glory days, this is far from assured.  Soon whoever is control of Iran will have recourse to nuclear weapons and be in a position to control a significant portion of the world's oil supply.

Jane

I would contend that we can't afford NOT to...

The US has been in debt for most of our history - we can afford to take on a little more to take out Iran properly, if needed - I would prefer the CIA option, of course...

Folks who think that we can change anything by dropping bombs are either idiots or in fixed-wing military aviation (eg branch-biased).... Of course the AF/USN Airwing folks would say the same thing to me about 'branch bias' towards ground forces... History proves me right, however...

All wishful thinking though, BHO won't do anything but sit & watch....

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:35:04 AM EDT
[#47]
I would blame Bush.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:35:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jane

I would contend that we can't afford NOT to...

The US has been in debt for most of our history - we can afford to take on a little more to take out Iran properly, if needed - I would prefer the CIA option, of course...

Folks who think that we can change anything by dropping bombs are either idiots or in fixed-wing military aviation (eg branch-biased).... Of course the AF/USN Airwing folks would say the same thing to me about 'branch bias' towards ground forces... History proves me right, however...

All wishful thinking though, BHO won't do anything but sit & watch....

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:36:19 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I have a similarly practical attitude towards foreign policies. Our ability to issue edicts and dictate terms to other countries is finite, waning, and will vanish all together if we use it wantonly. When folks seem unnecessarily bellicose or lapse into childish episodes of, "lets just make 'em do whatever we want 'em to do, because I don't like what they do," I wonder again how such busy-bodied idiots remember to breath.

When we lose that ability, we lose our economy & everything else with it...

The strength of the US & the value of the USD are all wound up in our military power & ability to dictate terms....

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:42:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Selective strikes on limited Iranian hardliner Symbols of power, but with no credit to us or anyone else.

Take out nutjob... target the Revolutionary Guard, and let the people challenge the mullahs.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top