Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Android tablet all the way. IMO Apple screwed the pooch once again with their iOS the same way they did with desktop OS's by trying to have complete and utter control over it. That's okay if you just want something to work, but the vast majority of people want to do what they want, when they want and the Andoid OS gives them that ability. Android is on the way to totally dominate the portable electronics world and with Google recently purchasing Motorola, Apple and Microsoft should be very, very worried.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ASUS Transformer?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

THIS.

$100 less than a comparable iPad2 (WiFi only), but the TF has GPS and the iPad does not.  It also has a microSD card slot and HDMI out built into it, which the iPad does not.   Include the keyboard dock and you're only about $50 more than the WiFi only iPad 2, and you get an Android specific keyboard, two full size USB ports, one full size SD card slot (GREAT for getting pictures off of your cameras!) and about 6 or more hours more battery life.  

As for buying a shit ton of apps... unless you just want to play a bunch of stupid little games, there's not much you'd need to buy to make either tablet all that useful.  I think I've probably spent less than $15 on apps since I switched to an Android phone 2 years ago.  If I purchase an app that runs on my TF and my phone, I can install it on both.

I have been thinking about an IPad , but I am computer stupid and have only used Desk bound PC's.  What is the TF you are talkin about? because I would like to have GPS as well as the ability to look/ download pictures. Can you hook a keyboard to an ipad .  last week while on a plane ride I noticed that a lady infront of me had a keyboard plugged into a tablet and was editing some kind of document.

With an iPad, you can use bluetooth keyboards, and from what I understand, they work well.  

The Transformer is a tablet that that has an available keyboard 'dock'.  The tablet actually locks into the keyboard, and the whole thing basically becomes a netbook.  

Asus Transformer

Not on board aircraft.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#3]
If first tab, get Galaxy.  If upgrading, wait.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:43:07 AM EDT
[#5]
With these types of mobile computing platforms it's all about the applications.  Samsung and Apple are deep in litigation right now and Apple has injunctions against Samsung selling their tablet in some countries.  This will likely limit App development for that specific hardware.  Much as I hate Apple's heavy handed dictatorship, there stuff does work (as long as you stay in Apple land) and there is no shortage of Apps.  90% are useless crap, but the cool apps are usually developed for Apple and ported or copied on others.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my galaxy tab. I had the ipad 2 but do not like it compared to the tab.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope krpind wasn't thinking he was making some sort of rhetorical point.  If so, it wasn't a very good one.

No. Not at all. I don't have a dog in the fight on PC vs Mac. I have an ipad. I bought my GF a Mac. We use windows at the office.

But if as far as I know, I can't combine an ipad and a PC back at the office. If Apple is the way to go, then I assume I need to buy all Apple stuff?

As far a a consultant, obviously y'all are correct, but a consultant is going to be as biased as some here, correct? Nothing wrong with soliciting opinions on what I'm wanting to do here at ARF. There are a lot of WAY smarter guys than me posting about this in this thread alone.

No sweat - it didn't sound like something you would do, but I am so used to ridiculousness from Apple bashers that I never know what to expect.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:08:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm really enjoying my android tablet (ASUS transformer). It does everything I need it to do. The only thing I like better on the iPad is the keyboard. It's seems much more responsive than the one I have on my tablet.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I just got a new Mac Book Pro...

LOVE it.

Going to get an iPad 2 tomorrow.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm really enjoying my android tablet (ASUS transformer). It does everything I need it to do. The only thing I like better on the iPad is the keyboard. It's seems much more responsive than the one I have on my tablet.

+1 i love my transformer it does everything i need it to do and more.  The keyboard is amazing, I do a lot of traveling and the extra battery life in the keyboard is a lifesaver.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I got the toshiba thrive because of the full size sd card slot and full size USB port.  If Apple had offered that, I'd have gotten the iPad 2.  I already have the iPhone 4, so it's not like I'm hurting for an apple product.  My thrive blue tooths to an I pad approved keyboad perfectly so no problems there, and I can take all the full size sd cards in my deer cams and read the pics in the field with my thrive just like I wanted.  I say get which ever one you want, that fills your needs the best.  That's what I did, an iPhone filled my smart phone needs he best, and the android tablet filled my other needs, that the other apple products wouldn't.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top