Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey Raven your right...its almost 14%...i double checked. damn...not bad for a fucked up market week.
wish my real portfolio did half that good this week.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#2]
bump
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey LT. this still on? i hope so...i think im in the lead so far. also read back a few replies , i wanted to sell FUTR and buy AVIIW.
good luck everybody!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]
OK Folks!! The sheet is update.

Looks like EX11B is in the lead as of 8/2, with raven at a close second. Harv rounding out the top three.

3 wks to go. I am sticking to my picks.

Next time to change out is next Fri.

[url=www.awesome-als.net/netvids/Game.PDF]Standings[/url]

figures, me and AAA who does this for a living are bringing up the rear. Sheesh
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 4:11:21 AM EDT
[#5]
[^]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Duke Energy is rising and AAA thinks he's got some ammo in the bag. Don't count the rounds yet before the case is opened. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Duke Energy is rising and AAA thinks he's got some ammo in the bag. Don't count the rounds yet before the case is opened. [:)]
View Quote

[img]http://graphics.theonion.com/pics_3828/lou_dobbs_hosts_jump.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Alright you Guys,
All I said to LT was that DUK was my best bet to make up some lost ground . I'm not counting anything and I wish you all good luck!
[:D]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#9]
ok time for a rant.before i rant please understand that if there were no stakes this wouldnt be an issue , but there are stakes (20 rounds per person ante) even though im in the lead (a temporary thing im sure) i have a few things to get off my chest.
first off, i was understanding that our picks had to be in by sunday night the 28th (day before trading) this was to ensure no one has an advantage over other traders.one of the players got in not 1 day late...but 2 days late. WTF ..i wish i could have made my monday picks tuesday night...how could you lose? it would be real easy to punch up the % winners for monday and choose those. im not saying the person in question did this...but im saying im not real happy giving up 20 rounds to someone who joined 2 days late in a stock picking contest. i hate to lose...i mean really hate to lose anything...i go 100% in everything i do...and win most of the time...I HATE LOSING.so its probably not a big thing to anyone else...and maybe shouldnt be a big deal to me. but in my research...every stock the person picked just happened to be a % winner monday...not 1 loser at all..out of 5. thats good picking. again...the person in question may be 100% innocent...but when im competing.. i want the f#@*ing rules followed. my take on this is...if you were not in on time...you are out. however...im not in charge. i couldnt have even thought of joining 2 DAYS after everyone else...wouldnt be fair to the other players.i undestand this is a freindly game...but we are all putting money up...that changes things in my book. and before i forget...id like to thank LT for hosting this...im probably going to piss him off, but i gotta say what i think.
one more thing...the person who picked mondays picks tuesday night has mondays LOW opening price, instead of tuesdays closing price...which gives him an even bigger advantage. ok im done ranting...bring on the flames.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#10]
You can DQ me if you want, LT.  I knew I was going to pick gold stocks for this game, and performance on Monday wouldn't have changed my mind.  There are no other stocks I would consider owning in this market. If anything, my entering late put me at a disadvantage since I bought in with higher prices than I would have had on Monday.  My total returns would have been higher had I played by the rules, so the way I see it, I was handicapped for entering late, since my buy in price was Tuesday's open, not Monday's.

Strictly speaking, I didn't play by the rules, no.  So if I'm DQ'd, no hard feelings on my part.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey AAA, I posted that cause I knew you could not respond right away. HEHEHE At least not to the thread, cause lord knows you've been sending me Bloomberg msgs all day [:D] defending yourself. LMAO

Hey Raven, Sorry bro but EX11B does have a point. We did or I did set some rules. I had to be reminded of that. I figured since there was 4wks in the game, one day couldn't not hurt. However, in most races everyone has to start at the same time. So guess we're gonna have to drop you from this one. [:(]

However, I am thinking about doing this again next month. Cause I like ribbing AAA so much [;)]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#12]
No sweat, LT.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#13]
ok..week 2 over. i think im in the wrong line of work. My portfolio is up over 20% in 2 weeks. beginners luck? or am i a prodigy? gonna be close this week though, it looks like Harv and I are neck and neck. gonna be intersting to see how this all pans out. good luck everyone.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey LT. a have a couple of adjustments. wanna sell MHLX and purchase CEFT.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
ok..week 2 over. i think im in the wrong line of work. My portfolio is up over 20% in 2 weeks. beginners luck? or am i a prodigy? gonna be close this week though, it looks like Harv and I are neck and neck. gonna be intersting to see how this all pans out. good luck everyone.
View Quote

Yeah, no kidding.  How did you come to choose your stocks?  I've never heard of any of them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

HARV just sent in his buys and sells, he may be right at your heels. I have not done the figures yet. Will do that tomorrow. Should have the sheet posted, at the latest, Tues.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:17:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Raven,..your gonna die laughing when you hear this. when i picked my 5 original stocks i went down the list of the biggest % losers the friday before the contest. then i scanned the list to see which ones went down for no apparent reason (bad news in the section that has company history etc) i figured those particular stocks had no where but up to go. i knew it was a stupid plan, and very risky...but im not using real moiney, so why not. also im a billionaire and ive poured millions of dollars into my picks artificially inflating the price of my stocks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Ahhhhh....FYI that's not an uncommon trading strategy.  It's called "The dead cat bounce"....you know, like if you drop a dead kitty it'll at least bounce up a little bit after hitting the floor.  When bad news hits a stock and it falls hard, there is almost always bargain hunters out there who will swoop in and buy.  It sets up a high-probability situation where the price is will rise in the short term.

I dont think your plan is risky at all, pretty smart.

I picked gold stocks because that seems to be the only sector in an upward trend. The Federal Reserve is printing money like crazy and cutting interest rates, while the government spends spends spends as tax revenues decrease.  The dollar is falling hard relative to other currencies as well. The government mis-stated unemployment statisitcs and GDP growth, so it stands to reason they're fudging figures on inflation as well.

Bond traders, is there a big spread between regular treasuries and TIPS right now?
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Sell = selling stock
Buy = buying stock
Options = buying the right to sell or buy stock in the future at a set price
Short = betting that the stock price is going down
Long = betting that the stock price is going up
Margins = borrowing money to play the stock market
Triple Witching Hour = shooting event at night, full moon, and on a 13th.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bond traders, is there a big spread between regular treasuries and TIPS right now?
View Quote

Nope..Every damn spread in the Fixed Income market have tightened up. Except of course the spread between World Com bonds and Treasuries [:D]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Hmmmmm.....well if there isn't a significant premium difference between TIPS and normal treasuries, and if it's tight as you say, then that's not very indicitive of inflation.

I dont understand why we're not seeing inflation with the Fed going nuts like it is with the money supply and interest rates so low (and going lower).
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Simple. Slow growth. Almost 0 consumer confidence both in the economy and the market. Money supply is not going anywhere.  

Anyways, just got done with updating the sheet. Looks like the lead was taken over BY>>>>>>>

[b]Harv[/b]

then followed by

[b]EX11B[/b]

then by, I can't believe this shit. He's gonna be sending me Bloomberg msgs on Monday gloating....

[b]AAA[/b]
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Well Well Well. We are coming down the wire folks. 2 more weeks after this week. I'm sticking to my guns with my picks. Who's Cuisine will reign supreme...oh wait that's Iron Chef. Nevermind.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#24]
still holding at 20%. i think im gonna stick to what i have for now. hopefully i can keep just ahead of Harv, who is doing an awsome job.
i think ive got ya this week Harv!!!still gonna be close. good luck to all...i have a funny feeling that one of the guys at the back of the pack will sneak up through the pack and pull the ole tortoise and the hare trick!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey LT, Did you get my adds for next week? I have that sinking feeling. When the last week comes, are we allowed to allocate 3 positions to 1 stock symbol? My IM is not working.

[email protected]

Good luck guys, NOT!
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah I got it Harv. Will update sheet tomorrow. Tonite I post, drink and watch tv. Been busier that a one legged man in an ass kicking contest this week at work. If I had to trade one more treasury bond I will gag. So no market stuff tonite. Check the sheet tomorrow night it should be updated then.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#27]
OK folks looks like the standing for this week have changed yet again.

Here's the new up date sheet. [url=www.awesome-als.net/netvids/Game.PDF]Standing[/url]

Back in first place EX11B. Followed by Harv. Who would be in first place except for the 2 losses he locked in from the previous week. 71 HourAchmed snuck into 3rd place knocking off AAA. I managed to creep into fourth as I pass by AAA. And Dukota is watching our six [;)]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#28]
OK folks we are getting down to the last week. Last chance to change out is tomorrow. Next Friday, we'll know who wins. Looks like its between Harv and EXb11.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 4:35:12 AM EDT
[#29]
[^]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#30]
whew!! i think i still have Harv by about 3.5%.
i thinks its 20.45% for my picks...and Harv is down to 16.91% im not real comfortable with just 3 1/2% between us, Harv still could pull ahead. Hey LT when is the latest chance to make any changes? im not sure ill change anything yet...but im gonna do a lil research. good luck everyone!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#31]
...this weeks standings are posted, and im still on top. gonna be an interesting week. i think if we do this next month im gonna take the business section of the paper, fold it, place it downrange at 100m . fire 10 rounds, and pick the best 5 stocks from those hit.I may be on to something here. Harv is gonna be hard to beat. he has picked some strong performers. im gonna hold tight and hope the 5 i have now can coast me in to the winners circle.
good luck everyone.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 6:32:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#34]
damn...id like to get in on the next game...but i know nothing about short selling..and/or day trading. this is gonna be a close week, im hoping to hold ole Harv off, but he makes some great picks. we shall see how this pans out. 4 days left and counting.
(fingers and toes crossed..rabbit foot mode in effect)
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 4:49:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#36]
well investment gurus, less than 24 hours left. who will it be, who will be todays Iron Chef?? damn wrong show... its gonna be a race for the wire tomorrow. basically its gonna be who's portfolio hemmorages the least in this weeks wacky market.i can hear Harvs heavy footsteps right behind me. the only thing i can do now is invest the 2 million in my bank account and artificially inflate my 5 remaining positions, and insure myself a victory!!if i win im gonna start my own consulting firm, One Grunt Consulting.good luck to everyone.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#37]
EX, you're lucky you wouldn't let poor raven play in all your reindeer games.  The ravester's portfolio is up 30% this month.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 4:46:41 AM EDT
[#38]
hey Raven, which portfolio is that?...the original picks you made are not even above 20%.
NEM 11%
AU 2%
HGMCY 19%
DROOY 30%
GG 27%
i think thats right around 17%.
very good picks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#39]
looks like I held my ground in the last day in trading!!!...if my faulty backwards infantry math is correct...I ended up with 20.72% (unofficial) and harv had 10.15%(unofficial) and I went ahead and figured yours out for you raven, raven ended up with 14.717250%(very unofficial)I wont contact anyone for payment until the official tally is made and announced by LT. thanx for playing everyone!! for future stock consultation please email me at [email protected]
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#40]
its official. the Investment Gurus Unite contest is over!!! results: [url]http://www.awesome-als.net/netvids/Game.PDF[/url] thanks to LT for hosting and keeping all the stats. all of you who want to send your ammo ante to me have the option of sending the equivalent in cash via PayPal or usps if that is easier on you. the postage would be cheaper, but ill leave that up to you. my PayPal ID is [email protected] . All involved in the contest please contact me via email and let me know how youd like to settle up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top