Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What polishing compound is that?  I normally use Flitz but that looks pretty handy and Flitz seems to separate.

Sorry, but I don't know.  My old buddy Tman gave it to me long ago.

May he rest in peace.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I know of one person who was shot in the foot when their's fell off their bed and discharged,

DO NOT CARRY WITH ONE IN THE PIPE!

we could discharge the weapon at the range in testing with a slight tap to the hammer with a piece of pvc

well duh....see the post above.  No FP block means hammer down discharges are possible if you're a moron and walk around with the safety off.

not everyone here reads entire threads, but they tent to read big red text as they scroll. just making the safety hazard clear.  

Fair enough...my apologies for being an ass.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

we could discharge the weapon at the range in testing with a slight tap to the hammer with a piece of pvc

Are you sure you're talking about the P64?  I know the firing pin is not blocked from contacting the primer and if the gun drops on the muzzle hard enough it can fire, but the hammer is blocked, it can't contact the firing pin unless the trigger is fully rearwards.  I just checked all 3 of mine with a primed case and couldn't get any of them to fire by smacking the hammer with a plastic mallet.  I tried it safety off and safety on and I smacked it pretty good.

confirmed with him that it is a P-64. regardless of any negligence that he may have had, it is still an issue. as you mentioned the firing pin can contact the primer, and that reason enough for me to be weary.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I  have one and it is an impressive pistol for the $170 I paid for it. The recoil is stout as you note, the double action trigger pull is crazy heavy at about 22 lbs.

You can get a replacement hammer spring that will lighten the DA pull and make the SA pull damn near crazy light. If you're bothering to order the springs from Wolf gun springs you should give the two different weight recoil springs a try. I have the heaviest one in there now and there is a danger of the slide not recoiling far enough back to eject the round, and you might have to file the spring a bit to fit (I know I did) but you can tame the recoil a bit. It's a better gun with the new recoil spring and trigger spring but it still pretty stout all around.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Accidental double post.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Local gun shop has one for 149 in the used case. Gonna have to take a look at it now
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]

I had a P64 for a few years. The thing was quite accurate due to the fixed barrel and extremely reliable - never failed once in about 400 rounds, whether with commie ball or Hornady factory JHP.

I had a handall on it that helped a lot with grip.  All in all not a bad pistol, I sold it to consolidate calibers and 9x18mm was one that went.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Ever shot an Astra 600?  I'm wondering if the recoil is more or less painful.  The 600 stings like hell...
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you sure you're talking about the P64?  I know the firing pin is not blocked from contacting the primer and if the gun drops on the muzzle hard enough it can fire, but the hammer is blocked, it can't contact the firing pin unless the trigger is fully rearwards.  I just checked all 3 of mine with a primed case and couldn't get any of them to fire by smacking the hammer with a plastic mallet.  I tried it safety off and safety on and I smacked it pretty good.

confirmed with him that it is a P-64. regardless of any negligence that he may have had, it is still an issue. as you mentioned the firing pin can contact the primer, and that reason enough for me to be weary.

Just setting the record straight.  The hammer on a properly functioning P64 will not contact the firing pin without the trigger being depressed.  Next time I go to the range I'll try it with a loaded round, but if it's not happening with a primed case I doubt it will happen with a loaded round.  Seriously, if it was firing when he was hitting the hammer lightly with a piece of PVC I suspect the hammer block on his gun is broken or has been disabled.  

I remember when I bought my first KelTec P11.  It was an early model without the firing pin block and everybody was going crazy about it not being "drop safe" and how horrendously dangerous it was to carry with a round in the chamber.  I hated that POS with a passion and decided to test it to see how far it had to be dropped onto concrete to make it fire.  I don't remember the exact height, but I had to get on a ladder to get it to hit hard enough to fire.

So yes, a gun without a firing pin block can fire if dropped from high enough, and if it hits just right on a very hard surface.  Everyone should be aware of this before carrying a gun of this type.  Just what the chances are of it happening I don't know, other than I think it's a pretty darn unlikely.

My 2 cents.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I almost bought one of these but heard bad things about not being able to dry fire it. What's that about? Now you have me wanting one again, but I don't want a gun I can't ever dry fire.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don’t know why an Army officer would carry such a small pistol into combat

To shoot cowards and deserters.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#19]
How was the hammer/slide bite?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

How was the hammer/slide bite?

The bottom rear of the slide is rounded upwards, I have quite large hands and have yet to be bitten by either the slide or the hammer.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#23]
OP,

Your posts are always enjoyable, but I feel this one doesn't live up to your previous high standards...   It just doesn't seem complete without the end phrase, "shooting things is fun."

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:54:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top