Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm gonna get banned for poor taste,  man this site won't have anyone left.

Actually you're just a dumb s--t, if you knew ANYTHING about his family you might understand. They have done a LOT for people and kids and his grandparents were a class act. Quite unlike yourself, BTW. The kid might have been an idiot, but the family certainly was not. I'm from Jackson Mi so I know just a bit more about the family then you obviously do. There is a lot of kids that got their life straightened out because of them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually you're just a dumb s--t, if you knew ANYTHING about his family you might understand. They have done a LOT for people and kids and his grandparents were a class act. Quite unlike yourself, BTW. The kid might have been an idiot, but the family certainly was not. I'm from Jackson Mi so I know just a bit more about the family then you obviously do. There is a lot of kids that got their life straightened out because of them.

who cares. he had alot of cash its not hard to throw it around.

he posted a picture then you called him a dumb shit.  he didn;t break CoC you did.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#3]
That's two if I can keep this up top maybe I can get some more members to call me names.

WOOOT.

You guys need to lighten up,  I said it was in bad taste.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't, I just find it funny that folks get all worked up about some humor in poor taste.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting how that site was taken down.

History can be rewritten now...

"He was suuuuch a good little choirboy. He served food at the soup kitchen, took in stray puppies and nursed them back to health, and tutored children at the local library...."

BTW, everything I know says Tony Dungy did his best to rear his children right, so this sucks for him, but it certainly looks like this kid fell far from the apple tree.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

who cares. he had alot of cash its not hard to throw it around.

he posted a picture then you called him a dumb shit.  he didn;t break CoC you did.

Oh no I didn't, I called him a dumb s--t  [suit][shut][soup][slip] Take your pick buddy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just find it funny that folks get all worked up about some humor in poor taste.

So, did you only post it in the interest of getting folks worked up so that you could observe?

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is in bad taste,  deal with it.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/GreaserChris/dungyowned.jpg

You're about to see something funny.
Adios Asshole

Is'nt calling me an asshole a direct violation of the COC.

Naw not in this case… just accurate.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just find it funny that folks get all worked up about some humor in poor taste.

So, did you only post it in the interest of getting folks worked up so that you could observe?

I've been hiding my true trollish nature for 2 AR15.com boards now and have finally decided to be a full fledged troll.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is in bad taste,  deal with it.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/GreaserChris/dungyowned.jpg

That crosses the line. I hope you are banned for that tasteless picture you created. Banning you would be the best Christmas present AR15.com could give it's board members.

Whaaa. There has been far more tasteless things to bless this website.

grow some balls and some thicker skin.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#12]
The news here said that he was found hanging by his neck in an apparent suicide. No investigation, as far as foul play or murder, will be conducted.
VERY  SELFISH THING TO DO TO YOUR FAMILY AT CHRISTMAS YOU FUCKING COWARD!
My sympathy and prayers goes out to his friends and family and to all those that have to deal with this type of senselessness.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The news here said that he was found hanging by his neck in an apparent suicide. No investigation, as far as foul play or murder, will be conducted.
VERY  SELFISH THING TO DO TO YOUR FAMILY AT CHRISTMAS YOU FUCKING COWARD!
My sympathy and prayers goes out to his friends and family and to all those that have to deal with this type of senselessness.

Wait until someone comes out and claims he was lynched for his whacko views on his myspace.com account...  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Not even a Google search turns up a copy of it now.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Dungy remembered as loyal friend and generous mentor
In addition to being loved by friends in Tampa and Indianapolis, James Dungy was active in several community service organizations and was said to have had a promising future by his teachers.+
Published December 22, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - He was Tony Dungy's son, but 18-year-old James Dungy stood out on his own, delighting friends with jokes and antics.

There he was, 6-foot-7, doing Usher's complicated hip hop moves in the middle of American history class at Gaither High School.

"Since he's so tall and so big it was hilarious to see him do it," said longtime friend Quintyn Eldridge, 18.

On Thursday, those who knew Dungy awoke to morning phone calls and news reports that he had apparently taken his own life. Through tears, they shared memories of their fun-loving teammate and friend.

Eldridge met Dungy in the seventh grade at Buchanan Middle School.

"He was the tallest kid I ever knew," Eldridge said. "That's how we started talking."

The two kept in touch, despite being separated in high school. Dungy studied at Tampa Catholic for two years and joined Eldridge at Gaither, where both played football. Dungy, a defensive end, wasn't the strongest athlete on the team, but he learned quickly and played with enthusiasm. School officials said he was a starting player for six out of 10 games.

He was just like anyone else on the squad, coach Mark Kantor said.

The teen didn't try to use his father's status and didn't appear to be suffering under the spotlight, Kantor and others said.

"He was proud to be Tony Dungy's son," Kantor said.

Being a Dungy meant fielding requests for signed jerseys and hats, but he went along with it all.

"If you asked him for something, he'd never say no," Eldridge said. "I figured he had so much, he was always willing to give it away."

Dungy worked as a bag boy at a Publix in Lutz after school. Once, he saw a man snatch a female customer's purse. He ran after the robber and tackled him.

"He was so happy about it," Eldridge said. "Me and my mom went to Publix that night and he was telling everybody about it."

In class, Dungy liked to mimic comedian Dave Chapelle.

At night, he'd party with high school teammates. Nothing too crazy, Ovie Esalomi, 18, said. They'd just go for a spin in Dungy's Durango or his mother's new Mercedes.

Dungy stood up for his beliefs, Eldridge said. He was passionate about his African-American heritage. Stories of Malcolm X and the Black Panthers fascinated him.

Kantor said Dungy did not want to leave Gaither after one year, but he did so to be closer to his father.

Dungy graduated from North Central High School in Indianapolis in the spring.

According to the Indianapolis Star, he recently went to the school to pick up his transcripts.

"He sounded excited, upbeat," North Central principal C.E. Quandt told the Star.

"It appeared to me he had a plan."

Dungy returned to Tampa to work toward an associate's degree in criminal justice technology at Hillsborough Community College. HCC spokesman John Huerta said he wasn't sure whether Dungy had begun classes.

After his return, he would drop by Gaither to watch football games with friends. "I wish there were 52 of him around," Kantor said. "Mom and Dad raised him right."

Dungy sought out Kantor at Gaither a couple of weeks ago and gave him a hug. The two chatted for about 40 minutes.

"He said he was getting a new job," Kantor said. "Everything seemed to be going fantastic."

Recently, Dungy had begun dating 18-year-old Antoinette Anderson. He had good things to say about her to his friend Eldridge.

"He said he liked her a lot," Eldridge said. "He was only going out with her for a few months. He hung out with her a lot, and he said she was a really cool girl and I should meet her."

Eldridge, like many teens, kept in touch with Dungy through messages on MySpace.com, an online web site where users post pictures, biographies and commentary for friends. Dungy signed on the day before he died.

In his photo, a bandana covers half his face. The web page contains pictures of marijuana leaves, guns, sexual graphics, gang signs and money. It is full of teen bravado.

A headline beside his photo blares "F--- the Police," a reference to a controversial 1988 hip-hop song by N.W.A. In Dungy's bio, he writes "Don't let my playful and comical attitude fool ya cause I'm not playin." The web site was taken down Thursday afternoon.

Eldridge said the profile doesn't do his friend justice.

"He's not the type of person to run with gangs or do stuff like that," Eldridge said. "It's just a front. People who knew him knew how great of a guy he was."

On Wednesday afternoon, Dungy spoke to 17-year-old Jamie Gonzalez, whom he met and dated for about a month while at Tampa Catholic in his sophomore year. There, he and his freshman girlfriend would hold hands in the halls. But when Dungy moved to Indianapolis, they lost touch.

Two weeks ago, he left a note on Gonzalez's MySpace page, telling her he was back in town and wanted to catch up. After trading comments for a while, he posted a message early Wednesday afternoon. It said: "can't talk to nobody n e (any) more."

The cryptic message puzzled Gonzalez, but when she contacted him, he seemed fine.

"He was talking like everything is normal," she said.

He also apologized for "everything," she said. Dungy had stopped talking to her when he moved to Indianapolis. He wanted her to know he was sorry for that. They made tentative plans to hang out.

On Wednesday night, Melisa Winning, 18, spoke to Dungy. She said he had a crush on her at Gaither. She remembered how he used to make her laugh.

With all the messages, all the plans, friends didn't see it coming.

Not the jolt of losing Dungy.

Not this way.

"Everything seemed fine," Winning said.

Dungy posted casual messages for several friends Wednesday. He invited one to a party he planned for Jan. 6, which he called "my day."

It was his birthday.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:42:31 AM EDT
[#16]
http://sports.iwon.com/news/12232005/v6952.html?PG=home&SEC=news

Son of Colts Coach Tony Dungy Found Dead of Apparent Suicide
Dec 23, 3:42 AM (ET)  Email this Story

By TRAVIS REED
LUTZ, Fla. (AP) - The Indianapolis Colts' near-perfect season was plunged into sadness when the news came that coach Tony Dungy's eldest son was found dead of an apparent suicide.

"Everybody said a team prayer for Coach Dungy and his family," quarterback Peyton Manning said. "It's laying on the hearts of all the players here today."

James Dungy, the 18-year-old who became a fixture around the teams his father coached and was often mistaken for a player because of his towering size, was found dead in a Tampa-area apartment early Thursday.

His girlfriend returned to the Campus Lodge Apartments at about 1:30 a.m. and found him unresponsive, Hillsborough County Sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter said. Carter said evidence at the scene indicated he had killed himself.

A sheriff's deputy performed CPR before an ambulance took him to University Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Tony Dungy took the team plane from Indianapolis to Tampa, Fla., where he had coached the Buccaneers from 1996 to 2001. He left his team with instructions befitting their ever-steady leader: Keep playing.

"He's an amazing individual with great strength and integrity, even in the toughest times," assistant head coach Jim Caldwell, who will take over in Dungy's absence, said after Thursday's practice. "He told us to carry on as usual."

The Colts (13-1) travel to Seattle for a game Saturday, and team president Bill Polian said Caldwell will lead the team "for however long Tony will be away, and however long he will be away is entirely up to him."

The Seahawks took a knee on the practice field in Kirkland, Wash., on Thursday and bowed their heads for a moment of silence. Seattle coach Mike Holmgren acknowledged that it will be somewhat awkward to coach against the Colts with all they are suddenly enduring.

"Yeah, it is, but we must separate that," he said. "We still have a lot at stake. We must be able to do that. So that is what we are going to do."

Dungy is immensely popular around the league and known for his soft-spoken style and commitment to balancing family life with football - a rare trait in NFL coaches. He shared the blame when Indianapolis lost its first game Sunday against the visiting San Diego Chargers, ending what had been a perfect season.

"It certainly keeps things in perspective," Manning said. "Players with families, it certainly hits home. Coach Dungy's close to a lot of these players. ... Players feel close to him as well as his family."

The Dungys have four other children: daughters Tiara and Jade and sons Eric and Jordan. James Dungy spent his senior year at North Central High School in Indianapolis and graduated this year.

C.E. Quandt, the school's principal, said Dungy was a personable student who never flaunted his father's position, and had recently visited North Central. He said the death surprised and saddened everyone at the school.

"It kind of diminishes our school family," he said.

A woman who answered the door at James Dungy's girlfriend's home declined comment Thursday. Jessica James, 18, who described herself as a close friend, said she and a group of friends went to the movies with Dungy on Monday night.

"He was cracking jokes, just being himself," she said. "This morning, it was so surreal."

She said Dungy "was just a really good kid, very laid-back. Unless you asked him, you'd never know he was Tony Dungy's son."

The mood was somber Thursday at the Buccaneers' practice facility, located near the airport where the Colts' plane that brought Tony Dungy to Florida was parked. Players and coaches could see the plane from the practice field.

"It shakes you, there's no doubt about it. Tony and I first came together in 1992 and I got to see the boy grow up. ... Tony's got tremendous faith, and that's what will carry Tony through," said Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, who worked for Dungy at Tampa Bay.

James Dungy was a frequent visitor to the Bucs' practices and games when his father coached the team.

"He was here all the time, hanging out in the locker room and with the players on the field," fullback Mike Alstott said. "If James wasn't here, it was like: 'Where's James?' He was part of this football team."

New York Jets coach Herman Edwards, one of Dungy's closest friends, called James a "very, very good kid.

"The whole family is good people. You know Tony, how he raised a family," Edwards said from Jets training camp in Hempstead, N.Y. "A tragedy."

Two other NFL head coaches lost close family members this season, both in November. Don Parcells, brother of Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells, died of brain cancer in New Jersey at age 62; Steve Belichick, father of New England Patriots' coach Bill Belichick, died at 86.

---=

Associated Press Writers Cliff Brunt in Indianapolis and Mitch Stacy in Tampa, Fla.,; and AP Sports Writers Andrea Adelson in New York and Mike Marot in Indianapolis contributed to this report.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:58:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:09:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Line has increased to 10.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dungy son's "My Space" site... CAUTION - STRONG ADULT GRAPHICS/WORDS

The site has been taken down.

Where might I find a cache or archive of this page?  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#20]
LOL!!

I overheard some of the "fellas" in the office say that they do not think he commited suicide!!

He had to be murdered!!

They have some suspicion about the girlfriend too.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
LOL!!

I overheard some of the "fellas" in the office say that they do not think he commited suicide!!

He had to be murdered!!

They have some suspicion about the girlfriend too.

yeah, I'm sure a girl could lift a 6'7" guy high enough to hang him.

regarding his myspace account, it may have been a joke too. I'm sure there are a bunch of people on this site that would do something like that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#22]
tag
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

History can be rewritten now...

Well, also, suicide notes on Myspace.com pages are becoming more common, also another kid admitted on his page he was guilty of manslaughter by causing a car crash.  Some kid in Southern California had a suicide farewell on his page, saying to call the cops and gave his home address where his body'd be.  It was then photoshopped, parodied and mocked relentlessly by an online comminty like Fark.  The Myspace.com owner's probably trying to prevent something like that from happening again.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#24]
What parents can learn from James Dungy's website
an ABC Action News report 12/23/05

TAMPA - Just hours after Tony Dungy's son was found dead, Action News learned of a website that James Dungy supposedly designed as his personal profile.

Due to its controversial content, we wrestled with whether to publicize the site out of respect to the family. But after talking to a clinical psychologist, we learned there are benefits to discussing the site, such as getting a closer look at signs of trouble that you can watch for in your children.

The first thing that popped up on James' site was a menacing picture of the 18-year-old with a bandana over his face. That photo -- along with the rap song, praise for the D.C. snipers, and images of weapons and drugs -- do not represent the image many saw as Tony Dungy's son.

"This is a very troubled, very troubled young man. A young man who has a potential for some form of destructiveness," clinical psychologist Dr. Sidney Merrin observed after looking at the website.

Analyzing the site, Dr. Merrin said there were a number of signs of violence and deep-rooted anger.

"It could be anger because his family disagrees with him or they challenge him or they criticize him, and he has developed a defense mechanism over the years in direct opposition to what he views as being their values," Merrin offered.

The site, created on MySpace.com, prominently featured guns; even the user's cursor turned into a weapon.

"The guns represent a form of power. Its a way to tell the world, 'I am not a weak individual, look how powerful I am,' " Merrin explained.

James apparently spent Wednesday morning posting messages on his friends' sites. One of those final messages read, "Can't talk to nobody n e more," a clear message despite being written in online teen shorthand. Was that a final cry for help?

"It, too, depicts a very sad phase in his young life. When he says 'I can't talk with anyone anymore,' he's reached the end of the line," Merrin added.

There's no way to tell for sure whether any of the problems Dr. Merrin discussed were factors in James Dungy's death. But as his family tries to make sense of this tragic loss, his website might begin to give them some clues while also offering other parents a reminder to be watchful over their kids' activities online. What they're writing about themselves may offer early clues of problems.

In fact, James' father may have said it best himself in an interview back in 2001.

"Even that family that you look at that seems like everything is great, it's not always that way. It's hard work, it's trial and error, it's ups and downs. So don't think that you're any different," Tony Dungy said.

After word of James' death spread, friends logged onto his site to share their sorrow. A visitor named Melissa wrote, "I can't believe your gone (sic) … you'll always be in my heart."

By Thursday evening, meanwhile, the site appeared to have been taken down by MySpace.

www.wfts.com/stories/2005/12/051223website.shtml
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#25]
It is definitely a constant job to be a parent.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
In their genes or something.

This particular kid was adopted.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Then maybe it was somebody else's genes and he borrowed them?  Genes are genes they don't really know who's they are.  Most don't care.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#28]
How the hell did they get the kids website taken down so fast?

Given the hateful content how can the police be sure that it was suicide even if he was found hanging?

Someone who writes stuff like that HAS to have enemies..
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm just glad he killed himself instead of doing something else.  It doesn't take much to figure that with his "heros", it could have been a lot worse.

The world is not a worse place with his loss.  I'm more curious about what his parents knew, what they allowed, and what they ignored.  

If down with whitey and rest of his theme didn't come from rap, I guess he must have been abducted by space aliens and had it implanted.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm just glad he killed himself instead of doing something else.  It doesn't take much to figure that with his "heros", it could have been a lot worse.

The world is not a worse place with his loss.  I'm more curious about what his parents knew, what they allowed, and what they ignored.  

If down with whitey and rest of his theme didn't come from rap, I guess he must have been abducted by space aliens and had it implanted.

Yes, rap has that theme at times, but he let it influence him. If he had a proper upbringing, he would know that's not the lifestyle he should follow.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Rap doesn't influence kids negatively as long as they've been raised properly.

If your kids have been raised properly they don't listen to rap.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:15:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Found on another site. Someone captured and posted the front page to another site.
For all you curiosty seekers, here it is.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:52:12 AM EDT
[#33]

"The guns represent a form of power. Its a way to tell the world, 'I am not a weak individual, look how powerful I am,' " Merrin explained.

Love the pyschobabble about how having guns is abnormal.

Personally, I'm glad he hanged himself so that we don't have to hear how evil guns took such a quality induhvidual with such great potential from us. Glad that he took his own life instead of emulating his 'heros'   the beltway snipers. Then the liberal media would be playing, "Oh... Yet another poor black boy was turned to doing bad things by those evil assault rifles." Ban BUSHMASTERS! Do it for the children.  

I've had three high school friends murdered by gang bangers{RIP Charles Hicks, Ronnie Mulvin, & Don Elmore}, so I have zero use for the rap blasting bandanna heads.

wganz

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:07:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Found on another site. Someone captured and posted the front page to another site.

That was messed up.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:32:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Anyone know how he killed himself yet ?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:33:15 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Anyone know how he killed himself yet ?

Well shit there went 600
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:53:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dungy son's "My Space" site... CAUTION - STRONG ADULT GRAPHICS/WORDS

Well it is obvious that he didn't take after his dad.

BigDozer66

+1

Who says all that rap nonsense doesn't influence kids?

Shame for his dad, hope the rest of the family turns out better.

Rap doesn't influence kids negatively as long as they've been raised properly.

Foolish, irresponsible post of the week.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:21:04 AM EDT
[#38]
tagged to watch the train wreck.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:24:43 AM EDT
[#39]
From the boys' website:

Heroes:

the D.C. Snipers, cause they let ya'll crackas kno tha ya'll aren't carzy race in the world, plus nobody would ever guess tha they were black (i thought they were white). Malcolm X, and the Black Panthers. oh yea say werd my nigga Pac, and in case ya'll didn't kno he is alive and i've seen visual footage  

I guess I'm all out of give a shit for people who idolize the DC Snipers. What a fucking idiot! Good riddance.

My condolences to his parents.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:40:16 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was messed up.

Gee, the world is really diminished by his passing.  I'm going to have a celebratory shot of Hennessy in hizzonner.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

That was it.

Thanks for letting us know about it.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:05:16 AM EDT
[#42]
sports.iwon.com/news/12282005/v4772.html?PG=home&SEC=news

Dungy: Son Was Not Unlike Other Teens
Dec 28, 3:21 AM (ET)  

By FRED GOODALL
LUTZ, Fla. (AP) - Tony Dungy turned to his players and, speaking as a father, issued a challenge far more important than winning football games.

"You're some great guys, you really are," the Indianapolis Colts coach said at the funeral for his son, James, on Tuesday.

"I want to urge you to continue being who you are because our young boys in this country, they need to hear from you," he said. "If anything, be bolder in who you are. Because our boys are getting a lot of the wrong messages about what it means to be a man in this world. About how you should act, and how you should dress, and how you should talk, and how you should treat people. They don't always get the right message, but you guys have the right messages."

Speaking publicly for the first time since his 18-year-old son was found dead in an apparent suicide last week, Dungy also urged more than 2,000 mourners at the teen's funeral to not take relationships for granted.

He asked mothers and fathers to hug their children every chance they get. He implored kids to listen to their parents.

"I know if you're 13 or 14 or 15 or 16, maybe your parents are starting to seem a little old fashioned with some of the things they're saying. They won't always let you do the things you want to do," Dungy said.

"But just know, kids, that when that happens, they still love you, they still care about you very much. And those old-fashioned things will start to make sense pretty soon."

Dungy and his wife, Lauren, buried their eldest son Tuesday following an emotional two-hour service attended NFL stars, past and present, a contingent of league officials including commissioner Paul Tagliabue and the entire Colts team.

Four other NFL head coaches - Dennis Green, Herman Edwards, Lovie Smith and Jack Del Rio - also came to pay their respects at Idlewild Baptist Church, just outside Tampa. So did University of Washington coach Ty Willingham.

Dungy spoke for nearly 20 minutes, lovingly recalling James as a "mama's boy" with a "compassionate heart" - someone who loved to smile and have fun.

Dungy dabbed his eyes and strained to retain composure. But his message was unwavering: His son was a "sweet young boy" who struggled with many of the same issues as others his age.

"As he got a little older, like all teenagers, he was searching for who that person was inside of him. Who he was going to be. ... And like most of us, I think he went through a time as a teenager that he wasn't sure his parents always had the best advice. He wasn't sure that we always had his best interest at heart," the coach said.

"My daughter Tiara said it best the other day. She said: 'I just wish he could have made it until he was 20. Because when you're 17 or 18, sometimes the things you guys say to us don't always make sense. ... When I got to 20, they started making sense again."'

Tiara, the oldest of Dungy's five children, is 21.

Before leaving for the cemetery, Dungy made a brief statement outside the church and, on behalf of his wife, Lauren, and family, thanked friends and fans for their support.

"We loved our son very much, he loved us and we miss him terribly. James was a good young man with a compassionate heart and we were glad to have him for 18 years. ... God has him now for the rest of eternity," he said.

Shortly before the service began, the Colts entered a side door to the main auditorium of the 5,200-seat church, filed past the open casket and took their seats to the right of the family section.

Dungy, with his right arm draped around his wife's shoulder, led the family in and stood in front of the cherrywood casket to say a final goodbye. The couple took seats in a pew a few feet away, then watched solemnly as the lid was closed and the service began.

Dungy left the Colts last Thursday, the day his son was found, and it remains uncertain when he will return.

A preliminary autopsy report indicated the teen took his own life, but the exact cause of death won't be released until a toxicology examination is completed in four to six weeks.

Dungy said James should be remembered as a thoughtful youngster who was intensely loyal.

"If he was your friend, you had a friend forever, under any circumstances. And I admired him for that because as teenagers that's hard," Dungy said.

"There's an 'in' crowd and there's an 'out' crowd. And there's a lot of pressure to be in the 'in' crowd. But he didn't care. If you were his friend, it really didn't matter how anybody else looked at you."

These words hold so much truth.

BigDozer66
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top