Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:24:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Echo

Best warranty 5 years. Worth every penny. Fires up on two pulls and cuts like nothing else.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty happy with my redmax.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm looking for one as well. Why straight vs curved? 
View Quote
Higher end (professional) straight shaft models use a solid driveshaft vs. the flexible cable.  Stronger, able to take more abuse, higher engine HP, etc.

As for the homeowner level ones, I would assume that the straight shaft "could" lead to better reliability because the cable would not have to negotiate the curve in the shaft, i.e. less wear and tear.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm looking for one as well. Why straight vs curved? 
View Quote
Do you like your lower mid back?

Your back will thank you for the straight shaft. 
You can stand futher back and cut with a straight shaft, with a curved you are always bending.

Im 6'9'' and even a straight shaft is short but its so much easier on the back.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anyone have/use the echo pas?

Looks like home depot has the echo pas with trimmer and edger attachments for $300. Seems like a pretty good deal considering what you get
View Quote
Get that if you want the edger!

Looks like you have made your decision. You can thank us later.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Again, investigate service/parts availability in your area.  For example, I can walk into a few local places with Stihl parts counters and buy anything I need on the spot.  Not so much the others.  YMMV.

Home Depot isn't going to work on it if needed, warranty or not.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

+1. I have the SRM225, it's been great. Just make sure you go straight shaft with whichever one you you with
View Quote
Same here, been very happy with the SRM225.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Ryobi (https://www.ryobitools.com/outdoor/products/details/2-cycle-full-crank-straight-shaft-string-trimmer) that broke its con rod the first time it was used. Their warranty repair center (outsourced to local repairers) quoted 12 weeks to repair... Ryobi sent a replacement one instead.

The new Ryobi ones have the starter cord at the top rather than between the engine and shaft, which makes it easier to change a broken cord. Though why I had to replace the starter cord on a machine that's less than 3 years old...

They do have a range of quick detach attachments too.

For $130 it's been okay cutting performance wise.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm happy with my Stihl FS 90.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#10]
My next one is gonna be a cordless whenever my current one dies which is 18 years old, 18 YEARS. Never would have guessed it would last that long.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm happy with my Stihl FS 90.
View Quote
Wish I'd have done that instead of the FS55, sucker shakes/vibrates so badly my hands hurt after using it... Thing jumps all over the ground if you set it down running. My edger is a nice model
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've been very happy with my Echo PAS set-up. Trimmer, edger, and recently got the tree trimming attachment. Haven't had any problems with it in the 5+ years I've been beating it up.
View Quote
Same here - Echo PAS-266.  I'm just downright abusive to my equipment, but that thing has held up great and starts on the 2nd pull every time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone have/use the echo pas?

Looks like home depot has the echo pas with trimmer and edger attachments for $300. Seems like a pretty good deal considering what you get
View Quote
That is exactly what I have.

I have the string trimmer, hedge trimmer, and pruner (chain saw) attachments.

On our 7 acres it has done everything I have asked of it.

No issues so far.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I got tired of fucking with batteries and losing cutting power, making sure they're charged the day before, etc. 

Bought the ECHO SRM-225 others are talking about and it is awesome. Whips ass, makes my trimming and edging much faster. Got it on sale for $199 at Home Depot and couldn't be happier. I have a 17 year old ECHO blower that cranks up every time as well. 

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That is exactly what I have.

I have the string trimmer, hedge trimmer, and pruner (chain saw) attachments.

On our 7 acres it has done everything I have asked of it.

No issues so far.
View Quote
I'm guessing the entry level engine is sufficient for homeowner use?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes.

I don't know if there are reports of shorter engine life when using attachments
(given some increased resistance compared to just spinning the string trimmer) but
I have not had any issues.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
they have a "home owner" line (KM-56 RC-E) and a "professional line" (-91R, -94R, -111R, -131R)

just expect the maintenance to be more important to the wellbeing of the motorhead on the "home owner" line..

I also recommend using "truefuel" or some other stabilized fuel in any "mix" application for yard tools.  mixing oil and gas in a can is fine as long as you drain the tool between seasons..
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top