User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#1]
One in each ear.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I absolutely have to use a Q-tip after every bath.  The only one who has ever had ear wax issues is our oldest daughter and it started when she was old enough to clean her own ears with Q-tips and never did it.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In for the gross youtube vids.
View Quote

My first thought. Lol
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My first thought. Lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first thought. Lol

Such as...........

http://youtu.be/msZCTLXn8yQ
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I quit using Q-tips years ago; they packed in as much stuff as they got out.  Now I kinda gently scrape around in them with a nail from my 15 gauge trim nailer.  Works way better.  Just remember to use the head end, not the pointy one.
View Quote

PlaneJane. So badass she cleans her ears with FUCKING NAILS
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I absolutely have to use a Q-tip after every bath.  ..........

View Quote

Same here.  In over 40 years, never a problem  -  probably because I use it like a Roto-Rooter.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Folded over paperclips work well
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Would anyone trust an Urgent Care to get them cleaned?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I use these once per week or so while the wax is still soft from a hot shower.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Once. I was told no Qtips. Did you try ear candles?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy one of those Murine ear wax kits. Throw away the bottle and keep the blue rubber bulb. Use the bulb to shoot hot tap water into your ear. Repeat repeatedly until your earwax falls out.

Don't use q-tips, it just pushes the wax further into your ear.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Yea unfortunately none of the above techniques has ever worked for me.

So the Urgent Care up the street said they can clean them out. I just don't trust that place or the doctors at all.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Years ago I had an Iraqi Kurd bring his young son to me, complaining that the child had deafness in one of his ears for a few years.

Did an EENT exam on him and saw what I thought was impacted cerumen in the affected ear. Fished it out with a pair forceps and low and behold it was beetle that had crawled in his ear and been covered in ear wax.  Been in there for years.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Oh yea. I've tried them all. The past three times I've been they've sucked it out with a tool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've tried everything to clean it out myself. Going to have the GF go in with some tweezers tonight and if that doesn't work then I may just take a trip to the emergency room. As of right now I cannot hear out of my right ear and have a bad migraine from this shit.

So, you've tried the Murine kit? Comes with drops and a bulb for hot water?

Oh yea. I've tried them all. The past three times I've been they've sucked it out with a tool.

My ears get wax build up bad. I've tried everything but end up with a Dr visit. This is what I found works. Put oil drops in your ear a day or once a day 2 days before using this.

http://www.amazon.com/Elephant-Washer-Bottle-Doctor-Easy/dp/B005M2B5P0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1425593568&sr=8-3&keywords=ear+wax+removal+tool
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The tip of your index finger can access every part of your ear but the canal.  

Just clean them when you are in the shower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did once.  Doc told me to quit using q-tips.  I did.  Never happened again.

Quit using them?  

I'd think you'd want to use them to get the wax out.

What'd he tell you to use, your car keys?

Yep.  And trust me, it was weird.  I'd been taught to dig around in there with a swab regularly.  Can't argue with the results though.  The inside of the ear is a self cleaning little bastard.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Old school recipe given to me by a doctor/ Scuba diver. Get a small bottle with a dropper. Into bottle pour 3/4 vodka and 1/4 white vinegar. Put a dropper full in each ear once a week or after swimming.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I use debrox drops and a big earwax syringe with hot water to blow the shit out.  The syringe is 10 times better than the bulb.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

This is the better route to clear out the wax.

I had my doc clean my ears out because of the wax. He freaked out on the size of the wax coming out of my ears.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had that once in my twenties, Dr said one side was almost entirely blocked, he told me to get an ear wash kit at the drug store and quit using Q tips.  The ear wash kit got the junk out and when I quit using the Q tips I didn't have that problem anymore.  I'll go in and flush them out about once a year, that's all that's needed.

There's no need to go to the Dr to get it removed, you can do it easily at home.
View Quote

Not quite that easy. Like I said I've tried almost every home remedy and never had success. Usually has to be fished out using utensils or sucked out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I keep it in there, it helps me at the range.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#22]
When I was getting my physical at MEPS I failed the hearing exam.  Sent me and a couple other guys down the road to a medical clinic. The gunk he flushed out was insane. Hard to believe the size of the wax ball.

I bought one of those elephant ear flushing kits and clean them out every few months now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a hair folicle in my ear canal go nuts once and grow a big, stiff hair THROUGH my ear drum.

Finally got the doctor to pull the damn thing out with tweezers.  Didn't hurt, but the sound was...  unsettling.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#24]
There is an OTC cleaner called "Debrox" that works miracles.

I used to have issues.  No more.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Same here.  In over 40 years, never a problem  -  probably because I use it like a Roto-Rooter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I absolutely have to use a Q-tip after every bath.  ..........

yup me too. Don't know how anyone can stand that shit in your ears

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#26]
If it's that bad go to the urgent care center. From my understanding (probably wrong) most of the doctors there are moonlighting real doctors.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My ears get wax build up bad. I've tried everything but end up with a Dr visit. This is what I found works. Put oil drops in your ear a day or once a day 2 days before using this.

http://www.amazon.com/Elephant-Washer-Bottle-Doctor-Easy/dp/B005M2B5P0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1425593568&sr=8-3&keywords=ear+wax+removal+tool
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've tried everything to clean it out myself. Going to have the GF go in with some tweezers tonight and if that doesn't work then I may just take a trip to the emergency room. As of right now I cannot hear out of my right ear and have a bad migraine from this shit.

So, you've tried the Murine kit? Comes with drops and a bulb for hot water?

Damn, I read a bunch of the reviews, and I might just have to buy one of these.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Lay on your left side and pour in hyrdrogen peroxide till your ear is full.  Lay there for 5 min.  Repeat. Then get in the shower with the water as hot as you can stand and let it spray down in there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lay on your left side and pour in hyrdrogen peroxide till your ear is full.  Lay there for 5 min.  Repeat. Then get in the shower with the water as hot as you can stand and let it spray down in there.

^^^this
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hydrogen peroxide and ear candles from time too time. Also, q-tips are not to be inserted into the ear canal.
View Quote

snicker
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Followed up by a coffee enema, liver flush and a tarot reading.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hydrogen peroxide and ear candles from time too time.

lol

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I used to use those Japanese ear cleaners, with no problem. But lately, i'll use a small screw driver or the cap from an old BIC pen. And follow it up with Q-tips.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be sure to check with your phrenologist to ensure you are healthy enough to use ear candles.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I quit using Q-tips years ago; they packed in as much stuff as they got out.  Now I kinda gently scrape around in them with a nail from my 15 gauge trim nailer.  Works way better.  Just remember to use the head end, not the pointy one.

My mom uses match tips.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not even the tip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hydrogen peroxide and ear candles from time too time. Also, q-tips are not to be inserted into the ear canal.

Not even the tip.

Not even to see how it feels?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I've got something weird going on in my left ear. . . This past summer, and I think part of the one before, every time I went swimming (ocean) and got my head under water, the water would not drain out of that ear. . . would stay totally plugged up. . . Eventually it would come out, especially if I laid down with that ear to the ground. . but sometimes it would take overnight to come out. . .

I do a gentle cleansing of my ears every day with Q-tips after showering, and am careful not to "shove" the thing in my ear. . . I think my hearing is ok, but I can't figure out what's holding the water in. . . I have heard that sometimes the ear canal can change shape as you age, and perhaps that is it. . .

I also came up with a technique to get the water out quickly. . I took a napkin or paper towel, and twisted a bit to a fine "point", then S-L-O-W-L-Y inserted the twisted bit into my ear. . . as soon as it touched the bubble of water it would be drawn out. . . and since the paper towel/napkin end is soft, and I inserted it slowly,  it would not damage my eardrum---if I even got that far, which is doubtful. . .

Anyway I'm going to see an ENT to have it checked out. . . drives me nuts at the shore. . .

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use q-tips twice a day. Never had ear wax problems.

How often do you clean your ears?  Or better, how infrequent.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Yep.  And trust me, it was weird.  I'd been taught to dig around in there with a swab regularly.  Can't argue with the results though.  The inside of the ear is a self cleaning little bastard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quit using them?  

I'd think you'd want to use them to get the wax out.

What'd he tell you to use, your car keys?

Yep.  It's almost like we evolved (or were designed) with the ability to take care of our own bodies before Walgreens or primary care existed.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I use a big ass turkey baster and hot water after letting my ear soak with multiple cap fulls of peroxide.

I had it real bad Monday and spent hours working on my ear,I finally got it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Qtips my entire life, no problems.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:31:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ear wax is produced in your ear canal.  Some people produce more than others.  If you are a person whose body produces more, q-tips generally just ram it into your eardrum until it causes a problem.

Using them twice a day is probably why you never have a problem.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Years ago I had an Iraqi Kurd bring his young son to me, complaining that the child had deafness in one of his ears for a few years.

Did an EENT exam on him and saw what I thought was impacted cerumen in the affected ear. Fished it out with a pair forceps and low and behold it was beetle that had crawled in his ear and been covered in ear wax.  Been in there for years.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I had a hair folicle in my ear canal go nuts once and grow a big, stiff hair THROUGH my ear drum.

Finally got the doctor to pull the damn thing out with tweezers.  Didn't hurt, but the sound was...  unsettling.
View Quote

Holy shit I'd have given a brick of 22lr to have seen that. I'd have given a whole AR if I could've pulled it myself.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Such as...........

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first thought. Lol

Such as...........

that person really needed to be using tweezers or something earlier on than they did
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Once. I was told no Qtips. Did you try ear candles?
View Quote

Tried this once. Got some ear candles as a curio/gag gift for Christmas one year. Brother insisted I try it right there at the breakfast table. I kept asking how they could possibly work and no one could answer. They just kept insisting I stick it in my ear and light'er up. Reluctantly I did. It didn't last long. Few things are as unsettling as having something on fire burning towards your ear hole while your family howls in laughter. I ended up putting it out in some water I'd just doused, donned a magnetic bracelet and rubbed the moon stone for a while. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:56:47 PM EDT
[#45]
I get it. Stopped because I do a hydrogen peroxide solution every now and then to keep it from building up.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:57:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

The skinny part of the cap of a cheap bic pen works too
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Yup.  Ear candles don't do shit.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.  Ear candles don't do shit.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Air driven nails.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:08:12 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Yea unfortunately none of the above techniques has ever worked for me.

So the Urgent Care up the street said they can clean them out. I just don't trust that place or the doctors at all.
View Quote
But you are fine with the girlfriend and a fucking tweezer of all things?

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stainless or galvanized?

I use qtips every day.  No issues.  I too do the peroxide then hot water in the shower method.  After the shower add rubbing alcohol to remove excess water from ear.

YMMV.  I'm a General Contractor, not an ENT.  I also make a mean vodka "martini", bad ass soufflés, and can cook up to 35 steaks at a time without fucking any of them up.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top