BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:11:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How about one on Old Hickory?

By golly now that would be intertaining....Unless you are Cherokee or Black.....Then not so much.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:30:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nobody likes a loser

Jefferson Davis died of natural causes at the ripe old age of 81.

Abraham Lincoln died from a big ass bullet hole in his head age at 56.

Who's the loser again?

Well, I've been to the Lincoln Memorial.  It's big and people give a fuck.  Not so much about that traitor bitch who came crawling back to the Union with his tail tucked between his legs (next to his vagina).

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:31:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Coolidge...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:26:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nobody likes a loser

Who's the loser again?

Well, I've been to the Lincoln Memorial.  It's big and people give a fuck.  Not so much about that traitor bitch who came crawling back to the Union with his tail tucked between his legs (next to his vagina).

The only people who give fucks are tourists.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:29:24 AM EDT
[#5]
We lost, That's why Hollyweird ain't gone to make one.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:31:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nobody likes a loser

Who's the loser again?

The one that surrendered and accepted defeat, not the one that was murdered from behind.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:32:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I won't one on Adam Smith.

I want one on David Hume, but Adam Smith would play a major role, of course.

In the interest of diversity, a movie about a young Jewish senator from Louisiana challenging then senator Jeff Davis to a duel might be interesting.

Later on, he becomes both the first Jewish  secretary of war, and secretary of state of any north American country.

Then again, no one has ever made a movie about David Ricardo and Thomas Malthus, have they?

The Confederacy Jewish Secretary of State: Judah P. Benjamin who was also known as the brains of the confederacy
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Gamble_Plantation_Judah.P.Benjamin_Photo.JPG/488px-Gamble_Plantation_Judah.P.Benjamin_Photo.JPG

Economy based on free labor... pretty smart I guess.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:34:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I want a film on Martin Van Buren.

Martin Van Buren: Werewolf Slayer

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:36:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with you.  The previews show Lincoln as a die hard slavery opponent which is completely false.  I'd like to hear if the whole movie reflects that

Yep, the continual re-writing of history...most kids today are just too fucking stupid or lazy to read history.  Sad state of affairs.

You can say that again!

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:37:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nobody likes a loser

Who's the loser again?

Davis's grave is beautiful, and tasteful...not like that deifying monstrosity in D.C. Plenty of people go see Davis's memorial. They just aren't Japanese tourists or kids from Ohio on a field trip.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:53:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Lincoln burned down cities filled with Democrats and started a back to Africa program for Black people.

I love Lincoln.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lincoln burned down cities filled with Democrats and started a back to Africa program for Black people.

I love Lincoln.

lol
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:58:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hollywood would portray J. Davis as a homosexual athiest.

That would make him a hero in today's time.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm with you.  The previews show Lincoln as a die hard slavery opponent which is completely false.  I'd like to hear if the whole movie reflects that

He was a die hard slavery opponent.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, the continual re-writing of history...most kids today are just too fucking stupid or lazy to read history.  Sad state of affairs.

The Republican Party was founded as an anti-Slavery party,  Lincoln rode it to the top specifically due to his anti-Slavery views. His opponents often characterized him as a radical abolitionist who also wanted to grant all "negroes" full citizenship and voting rights, a charge Lincoln frequently deflected, preferring to appear more conservative.

This. Lincoln may not have believed in equality, but he was certainly anti-slavery.

But he waited to pass the emancipation proclamation until secession.  His first priority was preserving the union.  I guess I don't have to say this but the movie seems to portray him as an abolishonist no matter what.  That's where my problem lies.  If the states didn't secede after he was voted in I very highly disagree that emancipation would have been granted for the next decade at least

Looking at Lincoln's life and policies it's clear he was very anti-slavery.  When he was young his family changed church congregations to one congregation that was anti-slavery, and one of the reasons Lincoln moved to Illinois was because it was a free state.  

As a member of the US House of Representatives in 1846 he co-wrote a bill that would abolish slavery in D.C. with compensation to their former owners but the bill didn't get enough support and never went anywhere.  Lincoln supported the Wilmot Proviso which would have banned slavery in any territory taken from Mexico.  

In 1854, Lincoln gave his "Peoria Speech" in which he declared his opposition to slavery:

"Little by little, but steadily as man's march to the grave, we have been giving up the old for the new faith. Nearly eighty years ago we began by declaring that all men are created equal; but now from that beginning we have run down to the other declaration, that for some men to enslave others is a 'sacred right of self-government.' These principles cannot stand together. They are as opposite as God and Mammon; and whoever holds to the one must despise the other."

Lincoln didn't like slavery but felt that he couldn't do anything about it legally.  That's why the bill he co-wrote in 1846 targeted DC, it was the only area that congress was able to abolish slavery in.  The EP relied on Lincoln's war powers, which wasn't available to him until the rebellion started.

Let me ask this, the Southern states all seceded when Lincoln was elected President. Why did the Southern states have a problem with Lincoln?  

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nobody likes a loser

Who's the loser again?

Davis's grave is beautiful, and tasteful...not like that deifying monstrosity in D.C. Plenty of people go see Davis's memorial. They just aren't Japanese tourists or kids from Ohio on a field trip.

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj633/mcampbell660/5055455-grave_of_jefferson_davis_Richmond.jpg

Last time I was at the Lincoln memorial, there was a lot more than Japanese tourists or kids from Ohio.  Where's the people visiting Davis' memorial in your pic?  Looks awfully crowded....

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nobody likes a loser

Who's the loser again?

http://t.qkme.me/3pyljo.jpg

http://t.qkme.me/3pylxp.jpg

It was Confederate General John B. Hood who burned Atlanta down.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nobody likes a loser

Who's the loser again?

Well, I've been to the Lincoln Memorial. It's big and people give a fuck. Not so much about that traitor bitch who came crawling back to the Union with his tail tucked between his legs (next to his vagina).

http://t.qkme.me/3pyljo.jpg

http://t.qkme.me/3pylxp.jpg

It was Confederate General John B. Hood who burned Atlanta down.

Actually it was probably probably a combination of drunken Confederate deserters (which, despite the UDC's post-war propaganda, there were lots and lots of) and war material that couldn't be evacuated and was burned by Hood's retreating troops.

Same thing happened in Columbia SC.

While Sherman detested SC as the viper's cradle, the contemporary accounts as well as the British investigation (post-war, to settle insurance claims) make it clear that when Hampton's men breached all the kegs of medicinal spirits, the gutters ran with whiskey.

Escaped Union POWs, Confederate deserters, Hampton's own men and newly-freed slaves ran amuck until O.O. Howard troops (Blair's XVII Corps of the Army of the Tennessee) entered the city with enough force to control it and establish a provost guard.

Of course, Governor Magarth's decision not to surrender the city prior to the approach of Howard's troops and Hampton's crazed plan to defend the city in house-to-house fighting also contributed.  Because Hampton didn't change his plan until the last minute when the citizens pleaded with him, his cavalry was leaving the city as Howard occupied it and they were destroying (burning) the cotton, etc. as they fled.

Ones the fires started there was no way for a mid-19th century army to control them except through counter-fires and blasting firebreaks (in a city).
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#19]
We need a movie about Franklin Pierce. Complete drunkard. We could get Nicholas Cage to play him.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Who wants to see a film about a loser?

Now, Raphael Semmes, on the other hand would be interesting.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Who wants to see a film about a loser?

Now, Raphael Semmes, on the other hand would be interesting.

Commander James Waddell, CSN (of Pittsboro NC) and the epic circumnavigation of the the CSS Shenandoah - the last flag of the Confederacy (surrendered to the captain of the HMS Donegal on 6 Nov 1865 in Liverpool) .  Or the  successful CSN cruiser the CSS Florida (commanded by Fayetteville NC's own Commander John Newland Maffitt, CSN):

Florida captured 37 prizes during her impressive career; her prizes CSS Tacony and CSS Clarence in turn took 23 more

Semmes was riding a death wish when he challenged the USS Kersage in what was a one-sided fight.  Gallant but stupid.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:40:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Jefferson Davis - Republic Slayer
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
did he open the first IHOP?

No it was KFC.  I think he was a major.

Not a real major though... a Missouri Major.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nobody likes a loser

Who's the loser again?

The 11 states of the Confederacy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We lost, That's why Hollyweird ain't gone to make one.

I find it disturbing that when you talk of treason against your country you say "we".
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love Lincoln.

lol

He'll we should do that today for all the black nation and black panthers. Don't like this country? He is a one way ticket to liberia (enjoy your gift basket of AIDs and dysentery).

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nobody likes a loser

Who's the loser again?

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj633/mcampbell660/5055455-grave_of_jefferson_davis_Richmond.jpg

People also visit the Party Rally Grounds at Nuremberg. That doesn't make them all Nazis.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top