BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#1]
This is off of the BAFT website
May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

The first regulation states it is ok to ship a shotgun or a rifle thru the postal system expect the handgun.

The second regulation states that the notatice to a common carrier (ie:UPS or FEDEX for examples) of shipping a firearms.

However, the key thing for both regulations is that any labels or markings that denotes a firearm on the shipping box is illegal.

Therefore; the least amount of information on the shipping box or label stating it is a firearm is OK. Not notifying the common carrier is not OK. However, it does present a very nasty grey area.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#2]
AR18,

You have to go to the regulation itself to get accurate information.  The ATF has admitted to me that their answer in the FAQ section is not completely accurate.  Notification is only required if shipping to a nonlicensee.

All that being said, I have always declared firearms in any packages I've sent for the simple reason that if I didn't, it would be very hard, if not impossible, to pursue any insurance claims.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Hanko and Devil nice try, but I suggest you read the link

.....The Board of Governors of the U.S. Postal Service is comparable to a board of directors of a private corporation. The Board includes nine Governors who are appointed by the President with the advice and consent of the Senate.

Guess what, those words are a sentance, and the sentance means it is not a Private Company, but set up to run like one.  
Still looking for that Investor relations guy and the DRIP funds link

Devil- looks like you are not getting a barret, but I will be happy to send you " hooked on phonics" you need to learn how to read
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#4]
EOD_Guy is correct. If you are shipping to a licensee you are not required to declare that you are shipping a firearm.

CassidyGT has done nothing illegal.

In NY you are permitted to ship a licensed handgun to a licensee for repair, modification etc. and the licensee is permitted to ship the handgun back to you. It does not have to be shipped or received back by a licensee.

DISCLAIMOR:  I'm not an attorney. This isn't legal advice. Consult an attorney for legal advice.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#5]
EOD,

That's a highly correct statment about the FAQ on the AFT website. It is a place that can be viewed in six different inteperations. In addition, that's a correct thing to do at the shipping counter. Not declearing the item and the correct value is going to be hard in collecting the insurance claim.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Guess what, those words are a sentance, and the sentance means it is not a Private Company, but set up to run like one.

Devil- looks like you are not getting a barret, but I will be happy to send you " hooked on phonics" you need to learn how to read
View Quote

I'll send him a tutor in the form of a wild baboon to help him. Time to nip this horseshit rumor in the bud. The U.S. Postal Service is a self-supporting branch of the U.S. Government. They receive no tax money and were spun off into their present form after a 1971 strike by postal workers. The Postmaster General was previously a White House cabinet position. You can find them listed on [url]http://www.firstgov.gov/Agencies/Federal/Independent.shtml[/url] if you prefer your news from the internet.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll send him a tutor in the form of a wild baboon to help him. Time to nip this horseshit rumor in the bud. The U.S. Postal Service is a self-supporting branch of the U.S. Government. They receive no tax money and were spun off into their present form after a 1971 strike by postal workers. The Postmaster General was previously a White House cabinet position. You can find them listed on [url]http://www.firstgov.gov/Agencies/Federal/Independent.shtml[/url] if you prefer your news from the internet.
View Quote

Nice Link...Too bad you didnt read it.

You will also notice that the Federal Reserve Bank is also listed. The Federal Reserve is ANOTHER privately held company.

Most of the entities on that link are part of the infrastructure needed in the United States.

The only thing "Federal" about the two that I usually bitch about are governors in the USPS.

The USPS is supposedly a "non-profit", but what about the Federal Reserve. Alan Greenspan is there until HE decides not to be there. He was not elected OR appointed. He is the CEO. He has a BIG responsibility to do what is right, and often confers w/ our government, but he can do ANYTHING he wants.

Go ask your mailman if he is a Federal Employee. He will LAUGH at you and start bitching about all of the federal holidays he has to take off WITHOUT pay.

I stand by my statements.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 5:46:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice Link...Too bad you didnt read it.

You will also notice that the Federal Reserve Bank is also listed. The Federal Reserve is ANOTHER privately held company.

Most of the entities on that link are part of the infrastructure needed in the United States.

The only thing "Federal" about the two that I usually bitch about are governors in the USPS.

The USPS is supposedly a "non-profit", but what about the Federal Reserve. Alan Greenspan is there until HE decides not to be there. He was not elected OR appointed. He is the CEO. He has a BIG responsibility to do what is right, and often confers w/ our government, but he can do ANYTHING he wants.

Go ask your mailman if he is a Federal Employee. He will LAUGH at you and start bitching about all of the federal holidays he has to take off WITHOUT pay.

I stand by my statements.
View Quote

GOD ALMIGHTY!!! WHAT KIND OF FVCKING IDIOT ARE YOU!!!! From the site:

"The Post Office Department was transformed into the United States Postal Service, an independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States. The mission of the Postal Service remained the same, as stated in Title 39 of the U.S. Code: 'The Postal Service shall have as its basic function the obligation to provide postal services to bind the Nation together through the personal, educational, literary, and business correspondence of the people. It shall provide prompt, reliable, and efficient services to patrons in all areas and shall render postal services to all communities.'"

[url]http://www.usps.com/history/his3.htm#REORG[/url]

As far as Alan Greenspan and the Fed, he is appointed by the President for a term and confirmed by the congress.

From their website:

"The seven members of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System are nominated by the President and confirmed by the Senate (see list at left for current membership). A full term is fourteen years. One term begins every two years, on February 1 of even-numbered years. A member who serves a full term may not be reappointed. A member who completes an unexpired portion of a term may be reappointed. All terms end on their statutory date regardless of the date on which the member is sworn into office.
The Chairman and the Vice Chairman of the Board are named by the President from among the members and are confirmed by the Senate. They serve a term of four years. A member's term on the Board is not affected by his or her status as Chairman or Vice Chairman."

Read the link: [url]http://www.federalreserve.gov/bios/[/url]

Let's see some proof of your other horseshit "statements." You are just as God-damned stupid as [b]Max_Mike.[/b]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top