Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, its not, but thank you for playing.  Ford counts every F model in their sales figures, from the 150 to the 650.  Chevrolet and GMC sell more half ton pick up trucks, the kind most of us buy, than Ford does.  You will never hear Ford claim that the F-150 is the best selling truck, they always use the claim that the F SERIES is.  GM only counts Sierra and Silverado numbers.  And while quite often F Series sales are larger than GM's, the truth is combined Sierra/Silverado sales trump those numbers at times.  Also not included in the numbers are things like the Chevy Avalanche or Cadillac EXT.  

Fords Sales Figures for Half Ton F-150's for 2012 totaled 343,186, while combined GMC/Chevy sales were 369,736.  If GM counted all their half ton sales for '12, including the Avalanche and EXT, the numbers sold total 394,619.  

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/02/who-sold-the-most-half-tons-in-2012.html

And the Willy's Jeep in OD Green with that big white star on the hood is still more iconic than either.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ford F150

The pickup truck is the most American auto, and the Ford is the best selling.

No, its not, but thank you for playing.  Ford counts every F model in their sales figures, from the 150 to the 650.  Chevrolet and GMC sell more half ton pick up trucks, the kind most of us buy, than Ford does.  You will never hear Ford claim that the F-150 is the best selling truck, they always use the claim that the F SERIES is.  GM only counts Sierra and Silverado numbers.  And while quite often F Series sales are larger than GM's, the truth is combined Sierra/Silverado sales trump those numbers at times.  Also not included in the numbers are things like the Chevy Avalanche or Cadillac EXT.  

Fords Sales Figures for Half Ton F-150's for 2012 totaled 343,186, while combined GMC/Chevy sales were 369,736.  If GM counted all their half ton sales for '12, including the Avalanche and EXT, the numbers sold total 394,619.  

And the Willy's Jeep in OD Green with that big white star on the hood is still more iconic than either.

The link you provided shows F150 as the most sold, not "f-series"

Also, you complain that ford likes to combine sale numbers, but then in turn you combine Chevy and GMC numbers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#4]
For the good old days the Jeep.  And I mean the original Jeep.  It went wherever you wanted to take it and didn't let any obstacles get in the way.  Designed and built in less than 90 days.  The mechanics were still working on it while it was loaded on the trailer taking it to it's field trials.  

For today the Ford Edsel.  Heavily driven by senior management who saw study about what they thought all people wanted in the cars and then tried to give them everything to make everyone happy.  They were stunned that it flopped as badly as it did.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I have my own favorite... But as a whole, I do believe it would have to be a '57 Chevy!!!

Modified of course

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Also, you complain that ford likes to combine sale numbers, but then in turn you combine Chevy and GMC numbers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ford F150

Silly me to think someone would actually look at numbers other than what I posted.  Ford is what?  Ford.  Chevy and GMC are what?  GM.  So, as I posted, GM sells more Half Tons than Ford.  Also, the Silverado and Sierra are basically the same truck, one can swap most parts between the two quite easily, whereas there are vast differences between an F-550 and an F-150 and few would consider them the same truck.  Regardless, Ford does combine its numbers to include all F Series, which is why they can claim, year after year, that their F SERIES is the best selling truck in America, as seen here:  

http://wot.motortrend.com/american-full-size-pickups-top-u-s-truck-sales-in-2012-310663.html

Most folks see that and think "F-150" and fail to realize how the numbers actually work.   The fact remains that GM sells more half ton trucks, by far the most popular variant, than Ford even if you only count the Sierra and Silverado and leave out the Avalanche and Cadillac.  So, if we are talking about the typical American pick up truck, the half-ton workhorse of the free world, the numbers prove that it rolls out of a GM assembly plant, not Ford.  

And it is still the Willy's bitch.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

F150 /thread.
View Quote

I don't often agree with /thread

But /thread

ETA - from another perspective, it might be my mother's '76 AMC Pacer.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have my own favorite... But as a whole, I do believe it would have to be a '57 Chevy!!!

Modified of course

http://www.paxtonauto.com/images/57Chev-1.jpg
View Quote

trifive is the auto of cuba

'merica

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#10]
F150, Jeep, Muscle car of your choice, Suburban
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#11]
You chose the wrong Lincoln, OP. The correct choice is this one:

I'd say it's a generational thing. Model T -> Jeep -> '57 Chevy -> Continental -> *dark ages here* -> Suburban -> F-150.

ETA: I guess something like an Olds Vista Cruiser or Ford Country Squire goes here ^^^.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

F-150 Crew Cab
View Quote
This

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Fuck your "economy" Car

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#15]
J" />" />

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Ford Pinto
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#19]
A late 60's mustang is the perfect embodiment of America...probably more of old than nowadays, but it still works.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#20]
A late 60's mustang is the perfect embodiment of America...probably more of old than nowadays, but it still works.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The Model T. What is more American than starting from nothing and then creating and empire? That is exactly what the Model T did for Henry ford.
View Quote
Yep, this one started it all, and btw screw Obama and GM

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes

Nooooo, they ruined a beautiful fastback Mustang..... Excuse me, while I cry in a corner.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#23]

or

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Cadillac Escalade - Because today's America thinks about entitlement.
View Quote

Nah.  Today it would be something like a Chevy Veo.  Like our govt its halfassed and full of shit just like Washington.  

Back in the day?  50's anything really.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Willys Jeep
View Quote
THIS

ETA - or a Ford F150 from the 70s

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#26]
A classic car that was built from the ground up with parts that were bought with money earned from back breaking work. The car was then passed to the restorer's son after his death and was sold for a large TV and 4 cartons of cigarettes.

EDIT: Better yet, the car was originally intended to be a way for the son to get to work.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
+1 on the Town Car.  It's the Cadillac of American cars.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Angel FTW!

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
An embodiment of which America?  The current America?  I would say a muscle car with a shiny new paint job and a frame made 90% out of rust.
View Quote

For current America we need a current Jeep model.  Have to have something which is a shadow of its former self, with a legendary image, and made by communists.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
[url=
View Quote

Ghetto Bentley
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.insearchofmustangs.org/Portals/0/EasyGalleryImages/1/10/4202_screen04[1].jpg[/url]

Pick one.

At one time they were both loud, cool, didn't give a fuck, and ran great.

Now they are rotting away in a junkyard somewhere.
View Quote

Not mine....  
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Silly me to think someone would actually look at numbers other than what I posted.  Ford is what?  Ford.  Chevy and GMC are what?  GM.  So, as I posted, GM sells more Half Tons than Ford.  Also, the Silverado and Sierra are basically the same truck, one can swap most parts between the two quite easily, whereas there are vast differences between an F-550 and an F-150 and few would consider them the same truck.  Regardless, Ford does combine its numbers to include all F Series, which is why they can claim, year after year, that their F SERIES is the best selling truck in America, as seen here:  

http://wot.motortrend.com/american-full-size-pickups-top-u-s-truck-sales-in-2012-310663.html

Most folks see that and think "F-150" and fail to realize how the numbers actually work.   The fact remains that GM sells more half ton trucks, by far the most popular variant, than Ford even if you only count the Sierra and Silverado and leave out the Avalanche and Cadillac.  So, if we are talking about the typical American pick up truck, the half-ton workhorse of the free world, the numbers prove that it rolls out of a GM assembly plant, not Ford.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ford F150

From what I remember, GM was counting dealer channel sales as actual sales... Not the same numbers man. It's called "Channel Stuffing" and they even went to court over it. Ford actually SOLD trucks to people... not their own lots.

http://sdnyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/12cv5124-Scott-v.-GM-et-al..pdf

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Great question TF
Sports car, Nash Healy ( the Corvette bunch copied it)
The all around and get around vehicle , Willys Jeep.
The most notable car . The 57 Chevy Bel-Air. 2 door hard top.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#35]
K5 or K10.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#37]
F-150 or Mustang

You can disagree, but then you'd be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#38]
460 cubic inches of raw power!

1977 Lincoln Towncar

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Cadillac Escalade - Because today's America thinks about entitlement.
View Quote

+87
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#40]

The old family truckster! Love me some wagon!
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#41]
First that jumped to mind is the '57 Chevy Bel Air, but the 1959 Cadillac is probably the king of "I'm American bitch, suck it!!!".

The Jeeps, Hummers, and pickups are very American and cool, but they are actually multi functional and have off road capability. The '59 Cadillac's purpose was to be a bloated couch with wheels asphalt compressing land whale rocketship for American pimps of the era.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#43]
The old Jeeps with the wood paneling.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Willys Jeep
View Quote

first post and all that jazz!!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Taxicab, cop car, movie "detective car/stakeout car," badguy like Mike Ehermantrout car, Heathcliff Huxtable car, eventually will be exported to South and Central America as a used car Car, everyman car (and I never liked them)..
everything--both good and bad--about America.  Has a useful place in almost any Hollywood production

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Pickup truck

Sales back me up
View Quote

This for sure.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:54:52 PM EDT
[#49]
I was going to say the 6000 SUX, but someone beat me to it.

ETA:

However, my runner up choice is the Saturn 5. Gets 5 inches to the gallon.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top