Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If you could go back in time and tell the Founding Fathers one thing about the future that they could change to prevent future angsts, what would it be?

I would show them what having slaves did to this country.  They should have ended slavery, said they're sorry, give each slave a $100, a pat on the ass and sent them all back to their native lands.  

I wonder what condition our nation would be in if they did that?

Not me.  I would show them what unlimited universal women's suffrage has done to this country since 1920.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd tell them that the nation they were building was destined to become more powerful than any empire ever in the history of mankind.  That it's military and financial power would reach into every corner of the globe and that this power would draw all sorts of ne'er do wells into the political process.  I would remind them that some of these political types would seek to make the nation into exactly the same kind of monster they risked life and limb fighting during the Revolution.  Then I'd trust that they'd get it right because they did pretty darn well considering none of them had a properly functioning crystal ball.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Told Lincoln's dad to pull out.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I will tell them and show them, since I am time traveling I would bring a computer and plenty of videos how the future will play out and then make sure they put mechanisms into place to keep that from happening. All I would do is show them things like below.

1. Slaves, when you explain the likes of Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and the other race hustlers say, and how affirmative actions plays out. Make sure you get rid of Slavery NOW. I can see George Washington standing up during the constitutional convention and saying. "My fellow patriots, I have seen the future and there are two men called Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton who should never be allowed to be born and we MUST send all the slaves back to their country of origin and muster all our forces after we achieve independence to rid the United States of the institution of slavery." Just showing them a video of these Charlatans would cause everyone of our forefathers to get rid of their slaves and send them all back.

2. The runaway spending on social programs, make sure they address that PLAINLY. Like the GOVERNMENT SHALL MAKE NO PROVISIONS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE LAZY AND WILL NOT WORK.

3. DEFINE more explicitly the First Amendment when it comes to the establishment clause and the "so-called wall of separation".

4. Tighten up and reign in the power of the supreme court.

5. Get rid of the militia wording in the second amendment.

6. Show them what taxes produce in the size of the government. make sure they use explicit language to prevent taxes

7. Show them what a career politician looks like (Harry Reid, Ted Kennedy) that would scare them into creating language to prevent them.

I am sure I can think of others

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Any and all forms of Federal corruption would be met
with the death penalty, for all parties involved.

Great, suicide by financial adviser...

TXL

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#6]
eta: probably not within the coc so I'll leave it at that.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#7]
11th Amendment individual right against personal income tax by the federal government.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#8]
New amendment

If at anytime there shall come to pass a place of leisure and knowledge known as ar15.com,  whom so ever shall start a dialogue pertaining to anything known as "Glee" shall thereafter surrender their right to keep and bear arms.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#9]
No taxes on personal income or property.

All laws apply to everyone, no exceptions.

Congress can pass only 2 laws plus the budget each session.

No welfare state - govenrment shall not distribute money or benefits to individuals.

Limit the money, limit the power.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Reveal Karl Marx's future ideological threat...
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Limit regulating trade to insuring fair trade between states.
Change 2nd. to read, The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Eliminate general welfare clause
Require congress to include the constitutional authority with each bill passed.
Prevent the formation of a federal armed police force for any reason except border security
Provide the people the power to recall representatives
Eliminate electoral college & provide for direct election of the president
Require citizenship for voting (after 1800?)
Require that warrants  signed by  a judge be obtained BEFORE any search and seizure
Require the congress pass only a balanced budget.  Exception for war only.
REQUIRE the federal government to provide border security

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#12]
1. Outlaw slavery
2. No bills over 500 words (nobody understands what is in a 2,000 page document!!)
3. No congressional votes on a bill until after it has been in its final form for 90 days
4. Runoff elections - no winner unless you get 50%+1 of the votes
5. A balance budget unless war has been declared
6. Remove militia clause from the 2nd Amendment
7. No property tax or personal income tax

Put in a clause somewhere about a persons rights end where another persons begin and the other way around.

They did not a have lobbyist issue back then but we need a law that says you can't be a lobbyist until something like 10 or 20 years after you leave office.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#13]
That the constitution means what is says, and is not a "living/breathing" document.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My reply to this question is NOT COC compliant.....

Neither is mine...

I would allude to the "troubles" between 1861 and 1865.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think the posts telling them to write everything down in plain language not open to interpretation is the right thing.

Unfortunately, I don't think it would help.  Lawyers and judges already know what the language in the constitution means and how to properly interpret it.  They simply disagree and do whatever they can to undermine it.  Plainer language would not help.  And the language used in the constitution wasn't actually all that "flowery" for the day in which it was written, it was quite plain.  But our language has evolved somewhat over time and many of the terms they used are less precise in today's common usage.

The problem with trying to make a republic succeed is that all men are human, and can be persuaded by selfish desires for power, riches, and fame.  So long as this is the case, entropy will continue to be a political fact of life.  This is why Thomas Jefferson said we needed to fertilize the tree of liberty every couple of decades.  It's the only way to keep a republic in service to individual liberties rather than the whims of the media-controlled masses.

There is a whole lot of truth to this. No matter how well its written or who writes it...there is always someone willing to pay some sheister lawyer a butt ton of money to "interpret" it in a manner that suits the payor.

I used to think people like gun banners and the like were ignorant of the laws. Now I realize that they know 100% what they are doing and its full steam ahead. Its alot scarier IMO to have people deliberately trying to sabatoge and undermine our constitution than those who are simply ignorant. Ignorant people can be taught.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#16]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Originally Posted By
I'd tell them that the nation they were building was destined to become more powerful than any empire ever in the history of mankind.  That it's military and financial power would reach into every corner of the globe and that this power would draw all sorts of ne'er do wells into the political process.  I would remind them that some of these political types would seek to make the nation into exactly the same kind of monster they risked life and limb fighting during the Revolution.  Then I'd trust that they'd get it right because they did pretty darn well considering none of them had a properly functioning crystal ball.

I agree.

But in another 200 years, how many more greedy, unscrupulous, SOBs would've ruined it again?

In man's history, we've never really changed. Rape, pillage and plunder.  Grab all the power you can and fuck the serfs.  Our FF were the exception and the first ones to have gotten it right.  I wish I could go into the future a few hundred years and see what it's like.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ive often thought about what it would be like if all US military was soley comprised of dual role unitis (like NG and Civil War unitis) under control of and funded by each state.

We wouldn't be here anymore as the USA
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't tell them anything about how things are now as they would probably just give up.

This is what I was thinking.

"Oh, posterity.You will never know how much it cost us to preserve your freedom. I hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it." ––John Adams
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top