Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2009 9:05:31 AM EDT
Usually rabbits bolt if I get within 10 yards of them. This one was out by the wood pile and let me get nearly 5 feet from it, took some neat pictures, as well. It didn't act nor look sickly, and when I tried to get closer it bolted, but then it came back to the area when I was gathering wood. It's a brown rabbit.

A nest or something nearby?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Where's the pics?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Usually rabbits bolt if I get within 10 yards of them. This one was out by the wood pile and let me get nearly 5 feet from it, took some neat pictures, as well. It didn't act nor look sickly, and when I tried to get closer it bolted, but then it came back to the area when I was gathering wood. It's a brown rabbit.

Probably.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:07:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Rabbits stay pretty still untill they think they've been spotted.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Rabbits stay pretty still untill they think they've been spotted.

And young ones will stay still even after they are spotted, you can often get really close to them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Leave the poor little fucker alone. He ain't hurtin' anybody.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Wabid Wabbit???
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#7]
If you happen to get close to a rabbit they usually freeze until you kick them out of the brush, at least thats the way they are in FL when I hunted them as a kid.
Here in CO the rabbits around the yard seem relaxed many times, I guess they are the rabbits that no one let a dog loose on yet
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#8]
That's not so unusual for rabbits that live around people.  I've walked up to them 10-15 ft away, they bolt for short distance, then stop.  Walk up to them again and they do the same thing.  Never running very far, and then stopping.  It's a common distraction method to get you away from a nest area.  Much like birds do.  Instead of just flying off, they fain injury to get the predator to follow them and move away from the nest.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Where's the pics?

Didn't know Arfcom liked Rabbit pics haha

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Leave the poor little fucker alone. He ain't hurtin' anybody.

The destroy gardens and bark trees.  I call that "hurtin'".
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#11]
If you're thinking about eating it, I wouldn't.  The general rule of thumb is that if the month you're in doesn't have an "R" in the name, its too warm to eat rabbits or squirrels.  Something about viruses, spotted liver, blah, blah.

What is Tularemia?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you're thinking about eating it, I wouldn't.  The general rule of thumb is that if the month you're in doesn't have an "R" in the name, its too warm to eat rabbits or squirrels.  Something about viruses, spotted liver, blah, blah.

What is Tularemia?

Oh I don't plan on eating it. I'm just really surprised one let me get close enough to it to take a picture. None ever have before, least not in the field.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#13]
That is a mamma doe.  Leave her alone.  She is tending her nest.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Use extreme caution.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why does everything think I intend on killing/messing with her? I was just gathering wood and thought I'd take a picture.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where's the pics?

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/feldmarschel/rabbit.jpg

I'm in to anything wild in the yard.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#17]
It could be related to the "vicious" rabbit that attacked jimmah carter when he was fishing.    Tried to board his rowboat.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is there anything Keith_J doesn't know??
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I had one do exactly the same thing this week.  It hopped across the street and was wandering around in my yard.  When I saw the cat stalking it I went to provide distraction and the thing just sat there, about 4 feet away from me.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why does everything think I intend on killing/messing with her? I was just gathering wood and thought I'd take a picture.

Because on Arfcom, the picture is normally the prelude to "what caliber" debates.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where's the pics?

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/feldmarschel/rabbit.jpg

Dinner pic!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because on Arfcom, the picture is normally the prelude to "what caliber" debates.

Red Ryder is probably all he'd need for a wabbit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#23]
around here sometimes rabbits dont run till your almost close enough to reach down and touch them. hell i have almost stepped on a few before.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I prefer the smaller size.  They are better for CCR applications.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#25]
He's probably got the rabbit flu. Now you got it. I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5389/img2807s.jpg

Does is that a J-frame?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

what the HELL is wrong with you.

that a cotton tail.  My word what has this sissy-fied country come to
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

what the HELL is wrong with you.

that a cotton tail.  My word what has this sissy-fied country come to

It's a rabbit. It's brown.

It's a brown rabbit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:37:05 AM EDT
[#29]
(\__/) It's just a rabbit.
(='.'=) BUT LOOK AT THE BONES!!
(")_(")
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Dibs on guns/ammo
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a mamma doe. Leave her alone. She is tending her nest.

I have raised rabbits.  I know rabbit behavior and the way that doe is holding herself, she is keeping her swollen teats off the ground.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I have raised rabbits.  I know rabbit behavior and the way that doe is holding herself, she is keeping her swollen teats off the ground.  

The rabbit nests I've seen before are usually in grass filled holes in the field behind my house. I hope I don't find it with the mower
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Awwwwww....
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have raised rabbits. I know rabbit behavior and the way that doe is holding herself, she is keeping her swollen teats off the ground.

The rabbit nests I've seen before are usually in grass filled holes in the field behind my house. I hope I don't find it with the mower

It happens.  You know the doe is near domino when she pulls fur around her teats and lines the nest with it.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I have raised rabbits. I know rabbit behavior and the way that doe is holding herself, she is keeping her swollen teats off the ground.

It happens.  You know the doe is near domino when she pulls fur around her teats and lines the nest with it.

I'm probably going to hunt for the nest a bit to make sure I don't accidentally murder them all. I figure it has to be near the wood pile, because that's where she keeps going.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Use extreme caution.

http://www.bwcadets.co.uk/rabbit.jpg

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:51:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Humm
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#38]
If there is a nest nearby - they will try to lead you away from it.

Another vote for letting him be.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#39]

That's just too friggin cute.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Pretty sure I found the nest. I've been watching from the window and the mother rabbit has gone under the shed multiple times.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Hat less bunny LAME!!

Pried from the jaws of death, so I could put a piece of chex mix on his head and LOL.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats hot!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#43]
man that's pretty cool....there's nothing but tree rats at my parents place.  The hawk has killed off most of the rabbits if not all of them, along with our neighbors dogs scaring them off I'm sure (2 little furry rats if you ask me...if my cat is bigger than a dog it's a rat).  The local alley cats have decimated the chipmunk population as well but don't go for the tree rats unfortunately.  I usually have to set traps in the attic for them or go up with my pellet gun and try to kill them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hat less bunny LAME!!

Pried from the jaws of death, so I could put a piece of chex mix on his head and LOL.
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk97/cwebbcam/IMG00031.jpg

awwwwwww.....

You know, it's too bad I'm deathly allergic to rabbits, cause that one is cute.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dibs on guns/ammo

Damn! Too slow again!

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#46]
I walk around the property and have seen them lying what looks like dead in the middle of the day; I figure they must have gotten high on some herb or fermented berries they ate and are sleeping it off.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It could be related to the "vicious" rabbit that attacked jimmah carter when he was fishing.    Tried to board his rowboat.

That was a different species, Sylvilagus somaliensis.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Wha?  Four dead in O-HI-O type CCR?

Cute rabbit.  Reminds me of the "It's dangerous out there.  Here take one of these." pic

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Pervert.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm probably going to hunt for the nest a bit to make sure I don't accidentally murder them all.
I figure it has to be near the wood pile, because that's where she keeps going.

Keith_J will confirm this, but rabbits will move their young a few times.  The scent will build up in one area and makes it too easy for predators to zero in on them.  If you poke around too much she will likely move them earlier than usual.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top