Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:50:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Many states allow felons to posses muzzle loading firearms. I would recommend a brace of 1851 Navy Colt percussion revolvers, a SxS muzzle loading 10ga shotgun, and a large Bowie knife.

This is changing as well, the state of Nebraska now considers blackpowder weapons as  "firearms".  Further your advise of getting a large Bowie Knife, might not be good advise either as the individual could be charged with [ Felon in Possession of a Dangerous Weapon].  I don't agree with the black powder thing, but it is what it is.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:13:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's not asking you to sell him any. He just wants your advice on what to buy for himself.

He should buy himself the filiing fees to expunge or seal his record.

Talking him into being legal would be the logical thing.

/thread
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:40:18 AM EDT
[#3]
For the people telling him to have his rights restored, most states even if you have your record expunged they do not restore your gun rights. My best friend has tried many times. His conviction is from 21 years ago, and it is for a burglary he committed when he was 18 of an unoccupied building. The ATF has the ability to restore gun rights, but they have not exercised this power since 1992 because congress refuses to allocate money for the program.

Let's be honest, do you guys really think in this political climate they are going to give someone their gun rights back, when they are so determined to take ours. Especially Kalifornia.

I would give him all the advice he wants. I would not purchase or sell to him or for him. Obey the law, but information is legal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:47:49 AM EDT
[#4]
All this angst about talking to somebody?  I wouldn't help him get guns.  I wouldn't help him buy ammo, if he was somehow precluded from doing so legally.  I wouldn't go shooting with him.  But under the situation you're describing, a guy who has apparently reformed himself and is a decent, taxpaying, law-abiding citizen now, I wouldn't have a problem talking ammo with the guy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:02:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Yeah:

Unless you get a Pardon from either Stat or Federal .Gov don't get any.

That's advice.

37 Drill Sergeant!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:04:56 AM EDT
[#6]

I wouldn't sell him ANYTHING.  But depending on the conviction, I'd talk to him about guns all day long.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:18:47 AM EDT
[#7]

You can't expunge or seal your record, if you have a felony record. You might be able to obtain a pardon, but an expungement is not a pardon, once your convicted of a felony it's in there forever, there is no such thing as sealing that record.

Yeah.  Just google on California expungement and you come up with a firm that will do the application.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:36:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd say it depends on what he was convicted of but hell, talking is talking. Just make sure that he doesn't expect you to be one of his "retailers".
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:52:46 AM EDT
[#9]
If it wasn't a bad crime: Theft, rape, murder, etc I'd tell him to pretend we'd never talked about it and help him out.

I don't agree with that law. It goes against the premise of the 2nd Amendment.
Tyrannical gov't is the reason you're supposed to be armed. What if tyrannical government made it a felony to own an AR15 or visit AR15.com?

So the gov't (who is supposed to be kept in check by the 2A) can deem entire classes of people unfit to exercise a God given right?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:06:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's not asking you to sell him any. He just wants your advice on what to buy for himself.

You can't expunge or seal your record,  if you have a felony record. You might be able to obtain a pardon, but an expungement is not a pardon, once your convicted of a felony it's in there forever, there is no such thing as sealing that record.

Lol, whut?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:07:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Hypothetical situation; You meet an apparently upstanding guy, nice enough and living a normal life. Your average hardworking taxpayer.

The subject of guns comes and he mentions that he has a few. He says he's gotten them from friends over the years and claims to have a halfway decent collection. He also says that he has a felony on his record from 25 years ago, and can't procure firearms by the normal means.

He's long since straightened his life out, he is "reformed" as they say. He wants to own firearms for home defense and has had no problem finding what he needs.  Up until now you've gotten along fine with this person, he's a charismatic, friendly dude.

Now he wants to talk ammo, with you. What do you say to him?
Posted live from San Quinten Correctional Facility

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depends what kind of felony conviction he has.

Felony Assault.

Two striker.

Last conviction was 25 years ago.

Not on the OP but his buddy. If he has 2 strikes he commited two violent felonies or a sales drug charge. The 3 strikes system was not used till 95.

If he really is a two striker, stay away, far away.

I had a company paint my house a number of years ago and found out one of the workers was a 2 striker. Found silver coins and some of my music gear missing.

I got him prosecuted but it was a headache.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:28:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Knowledge is legal for everyone thankfully.

Take that how you will.

Sorta.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:35:21 AM EDT
[#14]
As someone said, "knowledge is not illegal" I'd give him the same advice I'd give anyone.

As someone else said, I would encourage him to get his rights restored.

Finally, I think the whole "felons can't have guns things" is bogus. If we can't trust them with guns, we can't trust them with cars, chainsaws, pesticides, gasoline, baseball bats, tire irons, knives, etc. and they ought to be locked up or put down. If we can trust them with freedom, we can trust them with guns.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:40:01 AM EDT
[#15]
my aunt actually has a felony and successfully got it taken down just so she could own guns again. hers was a drug related offense many years ago.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:41:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Talk? Sure.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends what kind of felony conviction he has.

Felony Assault.

Two striker.

Last conviction was 25 years ago.

What's the point in owning guns if you can't transport them anywhere or practice with them? He'd be "felon in possession" if he gets pulled over or the Ranger checks his ID on BLM land.

Sorry, but he shouldn't have them around unless he can get his record expunged. It's all too risky.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I've got a coworker that is a convicted felon. I'm not exactly sure what he's done but it was something that caused him to be arrested in Florida and then picked up by Texas Rangers and flown back to TX to face trial.

Anyway, he's a good guy now...to the point that he is so straight and narrow its almost scary. He won't even speed, drink, etc. The system seemed to reform him well.

His son loves to shoot and I've also worked with him. The father (the felon) wanted to have his wife buy his son an AR and knowing I liked ARs asked me questions about them so he could tell his wife what to buy. The son lives away from his parents so the gun wouldn't be in the house. The wife keeps several firearms in a safe that the father (felon) cannot access. I didn't feel I was telling this guy anything that would be illegally acted upon. Of course I've worked/known him for about eight years now.

Legally, the moment a felon touches a gun - even one in a gun store - he is a "felon in possession." I know how you feel, but that's the legal standard as far as I am aware.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Impossible to say for certain, but my predisposition is to not trust anyone who has done time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#20]
A few thoughts...

* I think it's ridiculous that regardless of the felony, you can never own a firearm again. For some offenders... yeah... it's a good thing. For others... there should be some sort of appeals process set-up so those who have proven themselves law-abiding citizens (or those who never commited a violent crime in the first place) can protect themselves.

* The guy in question may be a good guy, but he sure is a stupid fuck if he's going around bragging about his firearms collection AND admitting he's a two-time felon.

* If he ever had to use one of those guns in self-defense, his life would be over one way or another. He either goes to prison on his third offense, or dies. As much as I'd hate to rely on less-lethal means of protection, if I were in his shoes, I'd examine every legal alternative first before even considering a firearm. I'd also avoid placing myself in situations where I may be required to use it (something most ex-cons seem to have a hard time doing).

* Advice is free. But I'd guess that selling him anything firearm related, knowing he's a felon, could potentially get you in hot water.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#22]
If he were truly "reformed" he would have started the process of petitioning to have his rights restored. I'd sure steer him in that direction especially if I considered him a friend and not just an acquaintance.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#23]
i can say whatever i want.  i would warn him that owning them is illegal, but its not my problem to report him or anything.  Other than that, i would talk with him about them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:57:35 AM EDT
[#24]
No and I would advise him that he is playing with fire.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
and remind him that the mere possession of firearms by a felon is a crime, not just being unable to buy them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't expunge or seal your record,  if you have a felony record. You might be able to obtain a pardon, but an expungement is not a pardon, once your convicted of a felony it's in there forever, there is no such thing as sealing that record.

I am guessing you have no experience in this area

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true. It may depend on state law but it can in some cases be expunged. I have known people in Michigan that have gotten it done the same local judge that sentenced them 10 years prior. I don't think it was a pardon as I don't think the judge has that power.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#28]
I would not sell/trade/give him anything gun related, nor would I help him get any elsewhere but no harm in talking guns with him.

I wouldn't take him shooting either or show him any of my guns.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What felony?

Felony speeding?

Felony tax evasion?

Felony murder?

Context means something, despite the law.

Oh hell, let's make it interesting. Let's say it was Felony assault. Let's say he beat the hell out of someone and went to prison for it.

Sounds a lot like my Grandfather.

He apparently was a felon from an assualt conviction back in the 60's-70's. Well, guess what, he was an avid gun owner (not legally of course), hell, he got me into shooting. Felon != Bad Guy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You cant expunge a felony....however you can apply to have your rights restored.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

You cant expunge a felony....however you can apply to have your rights restored.

You can apply, but it will be rejected as funding to have right restored was stopped decade or so ago.
Quoted:

Conversation would end.

as soon as I found out he was a violent felon, as I do not associate with violent felons, much less talk guns with them.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#32]
I am of the idea that if a man is too dangerous to be trusted out in society for fear he may obtain a weapon and use it for ill gain, then he is not ready to be released from prison.

Once you have done your time, you have paid your debt to society, AFAIAC. If you don't allow people with convictions to become full fledged citizens and take their place as whole Men and Women in society, they will always think of themselves as separate from the rest of us and maintain a higher rate of recidivism. I mean, why change the way you live if everyone treats you like dirt?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Felons have shown bad judgement in the past, I'd tell him to go pound sand.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#34]
I might talk to a felon about guns, Ramos and Campeon come to mind as worthy people with a bogus felon tag. But I would not under any circumstance admit knowing a felon who owns guns on the internet, that's a good way to invite the man into your life.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Whatever you do, knowing he is a felon, do not sell him anything firearms related.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#36]
THIS

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#37]
I couple years ago I had a conversation with a guy that went as follows...

Him - I'd like to find a single shot .22 like I had growing up.
Me - I think they had one at (local gun shop) the other day when I was there.
Him - I can't buy guns from a shop. I got arrested for drugs when I was in the Army.
Me - Was it a felony?
Him - I don't know, can't remember.

So he hasn't bought a gun for over 30 years and is afraid to find out if he's even allowed to.  

His story...
He was passenger in a pickup, they were smoking pot and the driver had coke on him.  A local cop pulled them over for a traffic violation. I'm not sure he got a felony but then again this happened in the mid 70's in KY.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top