Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldnt consider a mild shot from an airsoft, or bb gun torture, but im not going to do something that gets me in any trouble, or risk damage to neighbors property, or disturb the peace.  I like the paintball idea, mild pain to the cat, but not torture in my mind, and is a sign to the owner that somebody does not appreciate their cats in there yard, or in there trash, or on their cars, or making heat noises outside their house.  And my cat is a spayed female, so I doubt that they have intrest in my cat.  I remember being shot by paintball gun, left a small bruise, the cat would remember it, but I dont think it would kill it, or break any bones, but it would be in pain for a while, and at night, nobody would probably hear it.  Thats why I posted, the town does nothing about this, and there are alot of people having problems with cats around here.  People that have trapped or been caught trying to poisen cats have been charged with animal cruelty.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Try a citrus oil dripped around the property line.  Most cats dislike the strong citrus odor and will avoid it.  

There are a few "orange oil" cleaners on the market that would probably do the trick as a cat repellant.  You might want to also apply it to any spots that the cats are frequenting inside your property boundary, especially any spots where they defecate.  Upside: citrus smells a lot better than cat shit.  Downside: needs refreshing after rainfall dilutes the citrus oil.

Also, there is a commercial product, called "Felaway", but it is a chemical analogue of the facial pheromones that cats use to "mark" the parts of their territory they are fond of --- used to prevent them from urinating/marking furniture, carpet, etc.  This isn't as durable out-of-doors, and also isn't actually a repellant, just a behavior control chemical.  By the way, when cats rub their faces up against people or objects in what appears to be a display of affection, they are applying this pheromone as a "marker" to signify their "ownership" of the person/object.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Catnip is cheap and they will do anything to get to it, If you put some where you think they live all the other cats will hang out at there house to, then they will have the problem
tucker
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a live trap like the one on the first page, but to my understanding its a no no, mabey I should go to next town meeting and ask about it.  They have atleast 1 meeting a month, I was stuck giong to several of them for an eminent domain issue about widening the road on my corner.  Luckily the only guy that wanted it croaked of old age and the rest of the town board said they didnt want to spend the money to widen road, I know someone on the bpard and will ask him about live traps.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Surely there's a local SPCA that you can trap the cats and take them to. It all depends on the cats; if they're domesticated, they have at least a chance of being adopted. If they're feral, there's a couple choices. Most animal control types just take them to the pound, and put them down. However, this doesn't really work all that well in controlling the population; the surviving cats actually breed more to increase their numbers.  You end up with a temporary "vaccuum" until the cats breed, and more cats move on into the area. Total numbers end up about the same in the long run.

What's becoming more popular is catch, neuter, and release. This way you have the same number of cats, roughly, without high birth/death rates, but the population is more easily managed. You're NOT going to rid the area totally of cats by trapping them and taking them to the pound. Unless the city adopted a "shoot on sight" policy, and EVERYONE killed them on sight, you're more or less stuck with them.

Personally, I'd put fliers on every neighbor's door saying that there's a serious stray cat problem, you're going to get the assistance of the local govt to manage it, and that all cat owners better keep their kitties indoors. Then live trap them, and take them to either the local SPCA or a no-kill shelter. Much more humane that way.

I have actual experience with your problem. When I moved into my house, there were 25+ cats wandering the neighborhood. My neighbor is a farmer, and all they did was feed the cats; no neutering. They naturally bred like mad, and were by and large quite inbred and sickly. I initially felt sorry for the cats, and fed some. My final straw was when I came out to go to work, and there were no less than 10 cats all lined up at the door, wanting to be fed. I started to live trap them; a couple were moved to other locations, but most went to the pound as they were quite feral. We kept a few of the more domesticated ones around to keep the local mice population in check. 2 ended up being sick/injured; we took them to the vet and ended up adopting them as indoor cats (worked out VERY well). We now have 1 regular semi-domesticated cat outside (neutered), and there are 3-4 that more or less wander. We don't leave any food around, so they more or less don't stick around long.

We didn't know about the trap, neuter, and release concept til better than halfway through the cat reduction program. If I had known about no-kill shelters, I'd have tried to take some of the semi-domesticated cats there instead of the pound. It was quite irritating to have to be the bad guy and "manage" the population, but no one else would do it. I think it was more humane in the long run anyways.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:21:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Trap them...grab their tail through the cage and slice it off with a razor.  They won't die...and they won't come back.

+1 on the paintball

ETA:  I was being an Ass
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#9]

<-------See avatar
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Airsoft guns?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:30:06 AM EDT
[#11]
There is a anti-cat/dog powder you can buy for $7/half gallon. Its a powder that smells of citrus.

I put it around a gap in the back fence to keep the neighbours cat out. It worked.

In fact, the neighbours cat walked up to me the next day and did what only can be described as yelled at me for it.

Haven't had a problem with the cat since.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:31:31 AM EDT
[#12]
What is SHAKE AWAY Animal Repellent?
Shake-Away is an effective all natural animal repellent in granular form. The distinctive ingredient is predator urine from the Coyote, Fox or Bobcat.    

Through a patented process, the urine is integrated with a unique granular material. This special process captures the odor of the predator in granular form, for longer protection and easier application.

Animals have a sense of smell MANY times greater than humans. They use this keen sense of smell to communicate in many ways.

Predators communicate with urine "markings" to establish their territorial boundaries. Animals of prey understand this and avoid an area "marked" by an enemy. The scent of the predator's urine communicates that a mortal threat is prowling nearby.

Now You can use this method of communication to get rid of your invading pests. Shake-Away creates a FEAR Barrier around the area you want to protect.

The Benefits of Shake-Away are many:

Easy to Apply Sold in 20 oz "shaker" container. No extra tools or applicators required. No need to check and remove traps.
Non Messy Powdered form is clean and handy to apply. No messy liquids or sprays. No traps to dispose of.
Safe to Use around children, pets and plants ALL ingredients are Natural and Organic. NO chemicals or harsh additives.
Does not Kill or Harm Odor based, fear as a motivator is not cruel to animals like traps and other devices.
Critters motivated to Leave on their own. Uses the Force of Nature to YOUR advantage by creating a FEAR Barrier around your home and garden.
Protects a Large Area One 20oz container goes a long way - up to 600 linear (straight line) feet covers up to 6,000 square feet.

Shake-Away is extremely easy to use. You simply sprinkle the powder around the perimeter of the area you want to protect. For more information on "Directions for Use"  
Click Here!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:40:18 AM EDT
[#13]
you dont have a garden h ose, if you do introduce cat to water doubt they will come back
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Just shoot them with a pellet gun. When the cops give you shit about animal killing say the guy who sold you the pellet gun said you couldn't kill something with it... you thought the pellets would be non-lethal.

Do they have an owner? Who's feeding them to make them hang around?

Since when is trapping animal cruelty? You're catching them to allow for the "authorities" to collect them. If they don't want you basically doing anything about the problem then they sure as hell had better do something, otherwise you're totally in the right to deal with them as you find fit.

SPCA? Animal Cops?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What would be a discrete .22LR round for not killing cats anyway?  

Colibri Rounds

Aguila .22 Super Colibri is super-quiet ammo that does not contain gun powder but fires from the force of the primer only. Powerful and silent, great for use in urban areas. This is a 20-grain bullet in a brass case. Will break glass and penetrate hard tin cans. Velocity is 500 fps (11 foot-pounds) at the muzzle and can be lethal. This ammo works great and is intended for .22 handguns only. There are 50 rounds per box.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Took one out with my car yesterday!   Lol, only about 5 more to go.  It was a black one with tiger sripes in orange.  Didnt even see it, just come around the curve and heard the bump under the tire.  It is really cold here lately, at least below freezing, I have been chucking cold 44oz gas station cups of water at them when I see them, it seems to be helping, I know I hit at least two of them!  thanks for the info guys
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Train your dog to crap on your neighbor's lawn.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Post B&W pictures of SgtAr15 along the borders of your yard.
The sight will cause every cat to flee in panic.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Find a local store that sells cyanne peper or habenero powder for cooking. Sprinkle that around the area they frequent. Mammals don't react well to hot peper
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
claymores.

oh, wait, without killing them...

i'm stumped, but you may want to mine the perimeter anyway.

Spoken in true arfcom fashion.  Anyway, explain to me why you don't want to kill them
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I read somewhere once that it's a scientific fact that you cannot remove cats from your property any way other than killing them.

I can't remember where I read that, but I'm sure it's true.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Fire a warning shot, and when they run away and cross your property line, shoot them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Take them to the vet, have their legs surgically removed, and leve them far enough from your property line that it would be a real hassle for them to roll onto your property.

Q: What do you call a cat with no legs?

A: It don't matter. It cain't come to you anyway.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Of course, killing them won't neccesarily get them off your property...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Take them to the vet, have their legs surgically removed, and leve them far enough from your property line that it would be a real hassle for them to roll onto your property.

Q: What do you call a cat with no legs?

A: It don't matter. It cain't come to you anyway.

Makes me think about the book that was out a few years back
101 Things to do with a dead cat

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Makes me think about the book that was out a few years back
101 Things to do with a dead cat

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0517545160/102-5285595-2665706?v=glance&n=283155
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Try this one.  They work pretty well.

Scarecrow
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Call me crazy, but have you considered just maybe asking your neighbors to keep their cats off your property?

I know it isn't the ARFCOM way, which would probably involve violence and death whenever possible, but just maybe if you ask them some of them will do it?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Airsoft
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Lions piss!  yeah...

now where to get linos piss
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Blow gun(pick your projectile), would be fun. IMHO.

Also you might consider:

Open the garage door about a foot at night.
place cat food in garage.
Exit house from front door - close garage  when cats are feeding.
Release HGSD* into garage.
Perform cleanup as needed

HGSD = Hungry German Shepard dog
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Lions piss!  yeah...

now where to get linos piss

From a lion.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Call me crazy, but have you considered just maybe asking your neighbors to keep their cats off your property?

+ 1
This is how adults should handle the problem.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I use my paintball marker.  That really pisses them off and for the most part, you won't see another cat walking anywhere remotely close to my place.  As long as I don't go full auto, the neighbors just think it's someone using a nail gun off a compressor or something.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
supersoaker - cats hate water!

+1
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I had a neighbor, years ago, who owned a 'vette. Every cat in the neighbor liked to sleep on his car. Until he started catching them and putting them in an empty garbage can. He hold the lid open just far enough to spray into the can with one of those screw on nozzles. After a couple of minutes in the "rain locker" he'd just tip the can over. He said he never saw one of the "bathed" cats return.

ETA: I've used these air rifle cleaning pellets on cats myself. They must sting like hell because it really puts 'em to moving.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Rack a shotgun in front of them. We all know the power that simple sound posesses. They will run away and never come back.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Can you taze cats without killing them?  If you can, please post video.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Release the hounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Why wouldn't you want to kill the cat?  I thought that was what cats are for.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Inform your neighbors that you are setting live traps on your property. Any cat that gets caught in one is going to the pound. They'll either keep the cats indoors(unlikely) or hopefully after 10 or 20 trips to the pound, you'll run out of cats to trap.

That's what I do.  It's kinda cool here--Animal Control will come and get them.  One phone call and they show up and take the cat(s) and kill them.  I shit you not--three days in the tank and death follows.  I am completely legal and have fun trapping them.  Get the big Hav-a-Hart trap ($60--and it lasts forever), bait the pan with sardines, tuna, or mackeral, and put it out of sight--preferably in the kind of place a cat likes to slink.  I once caught three kittens at once.  

It seems you can catch a few then are cat free for months.  

Been there , done that . Except I didn't call Animal Control .  I  " relocated " the cats myself .
 Didn't tell the neighbors either . No hard feelings that way .  At the time , I worked 30 miles from my house .  Many a cat went to work with me , but didn't come back .
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#43]
BTW , you can purchase a suitable humane trap for about $ 40 bucks .  You'll probably need it again in the future anyway .
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Cheap walmart pellet gun......  it'll scare the crap out of them without the side effect of death.

I have killed alot of cats with a pellet gun
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Can you taze cats without killing them?  If you can, please post video.

You can a medium sized pitbull, and it'll piss itself and run like Carl Lewis on crack.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Get'em drunk and shave them, then when they pass out smear peanut butter in their ass crack. When they wake up up in the morning they will be so embarrassed they will never come back or call you again.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Get'em drunk and shave them, then when they pass out smear peanut butter in their ass crack. When they wake up up in the morning they will be so embarrassed they will never come back or call you again.

Someone was in a frat when he was younger.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Try this one.  They work pretty well.

Scarecrow

The Scarecrow is what I use in my yard as well.  Keeps all cats and raccoons out of my garden.  It also amuses the neighbors.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Give them dead fish and the neighbors will quickly make them indoor cats.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Just for you buddy!

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top