BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He has a user account and does not have the admin password? So he can't re-install the software you deleted.
View Quote

That's next, right now it's 8:30am and he's in a class session. I did whatever "damage" I could by way of deleting the aforementioned game program files, this afternoon, tonight I will sit down, access the Admin side and change the sys admin/ password/lock him out. That's why I'm trying to figure out what would be the more effective course of action.

As far as him being an electronics/programming whiz, it doesn't matter. I catch him changing anything, he damn well knows my options range from pushups/situps/dying cockroaches/mountain climbers to extra chores to corporal punishment. Dealer's fucking choice.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Don't think you are afraid of them. Some parents (my ex was one of them) have a bigger bark than bite. And carrying through is just too hard.

ETA: Maybe he needs to go back to school. My ex tried the home school thing while I was deployed without telling me. Didn't work out so well for my son.
View Quote

Yeah, we certainly follow thru and while that's tough sometimes, not pulling punches lets our kids know where we draw the lines, it cuts down on the arguing BS immensely.

This *isn't* traditional "homeschool", it's online education, roughly in an online college format in the way it's administered.

No way is him going back to public school going solve anything. The entire focus we have is about getting him to do the work, as he wasn't doing any of that the previous couple of years in middle school. The teachers there are educating by triage, the producers get the attention, the slackers are just the kids getting shitty grade whom they shovel on for the next teacher to deal with.

I've made it known, that if he doesn't produce here, next step is boarding school.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That's next, right now it's 8:30am and he's in a class session. I did whatever "damage" I could by way of deleting the aforementioned game program files, this afternoon, tonight I will sit down, access the Admin side and change the sys admin/ password/lock him out. That's why I'm trying to figure out what would be the more effective course of action.

As far as him being an electronics/programming whiz, it doesn't matter. I catch him changing anything, he damn well knows my options range from pushups/situps/dying cockroaches/mountain climbers to extra chores to corporal punishment. Dealer's fucking choice.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He has a user account and does not have the admin password? So he can't re-install the software you deleted.

Then why doesn't he know what happens when he dicks around on video games instead of doing school work? You draw the line at circumventing IT restrictions, but not fucking off when he should be doing school work?
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Get him a chromebook and put ms office online on it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:30:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You realize some kids just don't change? This isn't a parenting thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am not going to sit behind him 6 hours a day. ...

Parental discipline is in order, and it may require sitting behind him 6 hours a day until he earns your trust and is willing to focus.
Then you don't have to sit at the kitchen table with him, but can move to the couch in the living room where you still have a view of his screen.

You realize some kids just don't change? This isn't a parenting thread.

No, I don't realize that.  The vast majority of kids will change their behavior and choices if expectations are clear, and rewards and consequences are consistent.

This is a parenting thread.  Kid apparently doesn't want to do what he is supposed to do.
Dad has stated he doesn't want to ensure kid does what he is supposed to do, even though he is in the best possible position to make that happen, and has stated that this is now primarily a behavior problem.

OP, I have kids in online school.  If his computer isn't in the living room, or on the kitchen table, start with moving it there.
I have a Motorola Arris router that can block specific ip addresses, or block everything and only allow whatever is on the list you allow.  I'm not especially tech savvy and I'm sure there are ways around it.  I can't give a step by step guide, but do sincerely wish you and your son the best.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Then why doesn't he know what happens when he dicks around on video games instead of doing school work? You draw the line at circumventing IT restrictions, but not fucking off when he should be doing school work?
View Quote

You got me. He's being extraordinarily thick-headed, or maybe he likes getting smoked. He runs hot and cold, some days he's all over it, others he just falls flat and fails to launch. In between, he spouts off with what he thinks we want to hear "I got a lot done today", then when I check, only a small portion is complete. Other times, I ask if he's completed his assignments and he's straight up that he didn't get anything done. Frustrating, very frustrating, especially when I check in on him, and he's got the screen open for the assignment.

That's why I want to be able to mirror his desktop and watch what he's doing without physically riding his shoulder. As long as he knows I can peek in anytime, he'd be more apt to do the work, provided I reduce his distractions to a minimum, hence blocking the gaming sites in addition to taking away his IPad and phone until he demonstrates he is done for the day.

I'm banging my head against the wall, so is Mrs45. We try to impress on him over and over again that he really only has about 4-5 hours of work a day to do, as little as 4 days a week(!), and then his time is his own, but it's not getting through.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You got me. He's being extraordinarily thick-headed, or maybe he likes getting smoked. He runs hot and cold, some days he's all over it, others he just falls flat and fails to launch. In between, he spouts off with what he thinks we want to hear "I got a lot done today", then when I check, only a small portion is complete. Other times, I ask if he's completed his assignments and he's straight up that he didn't get anything done. Frustrating, very frustrating, especially when I check in on him, and he's got the screen open for the assignment.

That's why I want to be able to mirror his desktop and watch what he's doing without physically riding his shoulder. As long as he knows I can peek in anytime, he'd be more apt to do the work, provided I reduce his distractions to a minimum, hence blocking the gaming sites in addition to taking away his IPad and phone until he demonstrates he is done for the day.

I'm banging my head against the wall, so is Mrs45. We try to impress on him over and over again that he really only has about 4-5 hours of work a day to do, as little as 4 days a week(!), and then his time is his own, but it's not getting through.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take a look at installing VNC on his system and yours.  (Remote viewing tool)  Like you said though you have to sit there and watch it, it's real time viewing not a recording.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is a parenting thread.  Kid apparently doesn't want to do what he is supposed to do.  Dad has stated he doesn't want to ensure kid does what he is supposed to do, even though he is in the best possible position to make that happen.
View Quote

Ensuring that my son does what he is supposed doesn't mean I sit behind him while he does his work. That is a last resort option, and we're not quite there yet.

ETA- Putting him in the living room or kitchen provides too many distractions, and I'm supposed to do what? Watch each and every keystroke he enters? No. Not a solution.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#9]
As far as mirroring goes, look at VNC.

https://www.realvnc.com/  is, well, "real" vnc.  May cost something for all features.

http://www.tightvnc.com/   Was recommended a while ago, not sure what it brings to the table over RealVNC.

I haven't used VNC in a while, but I used to use it in in a Win98 shop.  I would connect to a computer, disable input on my end, and scale the screen down to say 50% to maintain some readability or maybe 25% so I could at least see what apps are being used.

ETA You'll be installing the server/service on his computer and just the viewer on yours.  You'll have to make sure appropriate firewall ports are opened.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ensuring that my son does what he is supposed doesn't mean I sit behind him while he does his work. That is a last resort option, and we're not quite there yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is a parenting thread.  Kid apparently doesn't want to do what he is supposed to do.  Dad has stated he doesn't want to ensure kid does what he is supposed to do, even though he is in the best possible position to make that happen.

Good to hear.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Tight VNC is free and will allow you to see what he's doing.

Install server on his PC and client on your PC.  Run client, type in his computer name or IP, password... bam, you can see his computer screen.  (You can also control, but you don't want to do that).
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm retired (military medical), and have the freedom to remain home with him, but I am not going to sit behind him 6 hours a day.

Why not?  If that's what's required to get the job done then that is what you have to do.

For one, I'm not going to educate him that he can dictate how I spend my day. I already put in my work, and am going to enjoy the rewards of such. HE needs to get with the program and learn to get his shit done in a timely manner.

I'm more than willing to help further explain something he can't grasp, to sit and help him study and to monitor his science labs, ect, however idly sitting watching him as a helicopter Dad won't solve a thing other than pissing me off further.

We're on Frontier Verizon- a Netgear 7550 and his Toshiba is running Windows 10 Home Edition. I've deleted Steam, WoT and other game files from the program directory.

x2..

OP,

I believe Netgear offers you some built in solutions to block some shit.. block all access to steam etc and it should limit some access to those types of games. But thats just a band aid and not a end all be all solution to the problem. Nor is it fool proof.

Google brings up this link. I don't use net gear but this is what it offers.

https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php

Also block all of these in the FW settings.

Required Ports for Steam
Which ports do I need to open on my router or firewall for Steam?
Your network must be configured to allow Steam access to the following ports (in order from highest to lowest priority for QoS users):
Steam Client
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)
UDP 27031 and 27036 (incoming, for In-Home Streaming)
TCP 27036 and 27037 (incoming, for In-Home Streaming)
UDP 4380

Dedicated or Listen Servers
TCP 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)

Steamworks P2P Networking and Steam Voice Chat
UDP 3478 (Outbound)
UDP 4379 (Outbound)
UDP 4380 (Outbound)

Additional Ports for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer
UDP 1500 (outbound)
UDP 3005 (outbound)
UDP 3101 (outbound)
UDP 28960

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good to hear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear.

Right now, our spare BR in the basement was my wife's work/study area for the last 14 months while she completed her CPA exam. There's minimal "stuff" in there, and he's been working better than when I had him in three previous locations:

His BR lasted two days I knew that was going to fail, but allowed it to demonstrate to him that I was right, he admitted it as well.
The kitchen table was "OK", however he learned how to switch screens everytime I looked over his shoulder. Not success, but a better trend.
The kitchen pantry was just more of the same, except even less got done.

This last move to the downstairs BR is a necessity. My kitchen is being remodeled and will be wrapped up in the week. I want for him to realize he can do the work, could have it knocked out before noon on most days. I know he'll connect to that once he starts to apply himself, and in no small way he was set up for failure with the public school pushing him along despite substandard performance. He's got to learn that substandard isn't acceptable. I'm also not inclined to educate him that there will be someone coaching him his whole life, riding his shoulder.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tight VNC is free and will allow you to see what he's doing.

Install server on his PC and client on your PC.  Run client, type in his computer name or IP, password... bam, you can see his computer screen.  (You can also control, but you don't want to do that).
View Quote

Exactly, I want to be able to spot check him, that sounds like just what I'm looking for. Thanks Much!
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP,

I believe Netgear offers you some built in solutions to block some shit.. block all access to steam etc and it should limit some access to those types of games. But thats just a band aid and not a end all be all solution to the problem. Nor is it fool proof.

View Quote

That's what I think this situation calls for, making it inconvenient enough that doing the classwork is easier than circumventing my restrictions, especially if he can access those games without hassle, again,  AFTER he get his classwork done.

I'll look at those Netgear options this evening, good bird-doggin' man!
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's what I think this situation calls for, making it inconvenient enough that doing the classwork is easier than circumventing my restrictions, especially if he can access those games without hassle, again,  AFTER he get his classwork done.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,

The fix for that is him taking a paperclip and resetting your router.. You need to let him know you changed the router and he is not to touch it. Other wise you are setting it back up again.. it falls back to parenting and him following your rules. Or physical security and locks.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The fix for that is him taking a paperclip and resetting your router.. You need to let him know you changed the router and he is not to touch it. Other wise you are setting it back up again.. it falls back to parenting and him following your rules. Or physical security and locks.
View Quote

On the occasion he outright defies me, not only does he own his mistake or blatant actions, you'd think he's a SERE School Honor grad.....
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Note this!

This is why I cringe at the idea of implementing these kind of restrictions: if you can't trust him to do his work, how can you trust him to not reset the router?
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep. This is a parenting issue, not a technology issue.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am not going to sit behind him 6 hours a day. ...

Parental discipline is in order, and it may require sitting behind him 6 hours a day until he earns your trust and is willing to focus.
Then you don't have to sit at the kitchen table with him, but can move to the couch in the living room where you still have a view of his screen.

Yep. This is a parenting issue, not a technology issue.

As mentioned, it's going to be hard to win a tech war on this one.  I agree with the computer forensics guy on this one.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Note this!

This is why I cringe at the idea of implementing these kind of restrictions: if you can't trust him to do his work, how can you trust him to not reset the router?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Note this!

Or use the simple, less detectable options like the proxy/VPN his buddy used to circumvent his parents "restrictions".
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here's the deal-

Jr.45 had a dismal year last year in school, in fact the last three. His severe ADHD is far more under control than it has been in the past, but his past behavior follows him like a bad rash. After dealing with the administration at his school, it's clear they give zero fucks and are more interested in covering their ass than anything else. This school year, he is in 8th grade (and really has no right to be there since his average grade was a D+ at end of year 7th grade), we enrolled him in online K-12 and he's fucking that up by simply not doing the assignments.

I'm retired (military medical), and have the freedom to remain home with him, but I am not going to sit behind him 6 hours a day. He adjusted to the new format, problem is he's addicted to World of Tanks. What I need is to block the WoT site at my router, so he cannot access it on any device in our home.

Second to that, can someone explain to me how I can mirror what's on his screen on my own laptop? I have zero experience with setting up a home network, I'm not especially tech savvy, so I'd need to "paint by the numbers" so to speak.
View Quote

The problem with blocking is that any block can be defeated with enough effort.  One obvious solution for the kid if you just block WoT's URL is to bounce through a proxy, a URL you won't be blocking.  And he can probably arrange to use a different proxy every time, so you'd always be one step behind.  The capabilities of the router matter too.  Suppose you block the WoT URL in the router.  Does the router do reverse dns lookups in case junior tries to connect to WoT directly with an ip address, bypassing name resolution?  There is also some additional dickery that can be accomplished with DNS and VPN judo under the right circumstances.

I really think you are better off simply watching him more closely.  If you try a technological solution, it's going to turn into a massive game of one upmanship.  Since you are, by your own admission, not tech savvy you're going to be like a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest under those conditions.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
this is a pretty long and lengthy conversation OP thats starts with you being a dad first and you being a IT guy second..

if you want to get into how to be an IT person you need to start with what kind of hardware you got at your disposal including what type of internet you have and what type of router you own. then what type of PCs you have and who has access to them. Then what kind of mobile devices and smart TVs you have.

kids are smart.. Prepare to go into dick mode. Being a parent is far easier than being a dick IT guy.

<---- Dick IT guy and dad..
View Quote

Yeah, but being a dick IT guy sure can be fun some days
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Password the BIOS and remove the DVD drive and USB from the boot options.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It depends on what your router is capable of. My Asus lets me block and also view sites visited.  It will take about 3 seconds of him asking friends at school to figure out a way around it though. My parents would have had a 0% success rate in restricting my access to whatever I chose.  Putting the computer in the living room helped the most.

When I was a kid, there wasn't an adult I ever encountered that could outwit me in IT. Even restricted networks at school/libraries/etc were cake to circumvent. Depending on the OP's kid's level of tech savvy, a simple SOHO router is not going to have the capabilities to do anything meaningful. Some software might slow him down, but that is one LiveCD away from getting around. I would second the idea of the computer in a common living space. Any measures taken to restrict access are going to have to come with supervision.

Password the BIOS and remove the DVD drive and USB from the boot options.

Can be circumvented by phyiscally opening the case and using a reset jumper to load factory default bios.  So if you're going to do that, I hope you have a computer case that can be fitted with a pad lock.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Or use the simple, less detectable options like the proxy/VPN his buddy used to circumvent his parents "restrictions".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Note this!

You get subjectively harder, restricting access to only known good ports (say http, https, SMTP/POP/IMAP maybe if you weren't using a web service, DNS, etc.).

Then you crack down on IPs, disallowing WoT, known proxy sites, etc.

Then you only allow access to IPs on expected ports, e.g. your DNS requests are only allowed to go to openDNS ips, not Google's; http/https only to school website.

Now you've turned a useful all-purpose computer into a brain-dead education terminal and you still have a defiant kid that is doing anything but his school work.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The kid has no right to play the game. If he's barely pulling down Ds, and not doing his work, there wouldn't even be a world of tanks game on the computer until we were seeing Bs.

I explain regularly to my kids that they have one 'JOB'. School. If you fail at your job, you get no benefits. No TV, no cell phone, nothing. You earn those things by doing your job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Change his password so only you know it.  After he gets his work done then login and let him play for a while.

There are ways around this too I know but it's something.  If he's got a ton of time invested in that account it is very valuable to him.

The kid has no right to play the game. If he's barely pulling down Ds, and not doing his work, there wouldn't even be a world of tanks game on the computer until we were seeing Bs.

I explain regularly to my kids that they have one 'JOB'. School. If you fail at your job, you get no benefits. No TV, no cell phone, nothing. You earn those things by doing your job.

Bingo! I repeat the same message, over and over, but he's not set to receive mode. That's why I'm going scorched earth on his web access.

Quoted:
Does it have to actually be done online or can it be copied worked on paper then entered online. Remember predator was one super high tech alien and got beat by plain old fashioned mud.

Yep, that's exactly how the script was written.  

A 100% paper option just isn't viable given how this format is setup. About 3hrs/day is spent on in-class sessions, and about half of the assignments are online related in some fashion.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You get subjectively harder, restricting access to only known good ports (say http, https, SMTP/POP/IMAP maybe if you weren't using a web service, DNS, etc.).

Then you only allow access to IPs on expected ports, e.g. your DNS requests are only allowed to go to openDNS ips, not Google's; http/https only to school website.

Now you've turned a useful all-purpose computer into a brain-dead education terminal and you still have a defiant kid that is doing anything but his school work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Note this!

The only thing a tech war will make is a budding career in IT and exasperated parents.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He's in 8th grade.  He will probably win a tech war, especially when you bring a blunt sword like that to the fight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The simplest option: add the World of Tanks to the hosts file on his computer.

127.0.0.1 worldoftanks.com

He's in 8th grade.  He will probably win a tech war, especially when you bring a blunt sword like that to the fight.

No shit, OP move the computer and buy a SOHO router/firewall with a subscription to filter url's and content. Next look at locking down the OS on the computer and then slap a BIOs password. If you're not technically competent or can't learn, you're going to loose the arms race. Best to lock down his computer in a common area and restrict access times when you can supervised.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Most routers today will let you specify hours of access, so he could access it only from 7-9 pm on week nights. Put the router in a limited access area or he'll reset it to factory defaults.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The only thing a tech war will make is a budding career in IT and exasperated parents.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm retired (military medical), and have the freedom to remain home with him, but I am not going to sit behind him 6 hours a day.

Why not?  If that's what's required to get the job done then that is what you have to do.

For one, I'm not going to educate him that he can dictate how I spend my day. I already put in my work, and am going to enjoy the rewards of such. HE needs to get with the program and learn to get his shit done in a timely manner.

I'm more than willing to help further explain something he can't grasp, to sit and help him study and to monitor his science labs, ect, however idly sitting watching him as a helicopter Dad won't solve a thing other than pissing me off further.

We're on Frontier Verizon- a Netgear 7550 and his Toshiba is running Windows 10 Home Edition. I've deleted Steam, WoT and other game files from the program directory.

Oh teh noes, another High & Mighty ARFCom judge makes a losing snap judgment!

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#32]
First,
 Install Teamviewer on the students computer and on yours and it will allow you to log onto the computer remotely.  It's like a remote desk top tool. You can take control of the keyboard and mouse etc. Most importantly, you'll be able to see what he's working on at the time.  It adds a little bit of self discipline since he'll never know when you might log on.  I'm not positive but, there may be an indicator though that says who on teamviewer is logged on; so it is possible he will be alerted when you pop on.  That You'll have to look into.

check the Hosts file

link1
link2

Block website using Hosts file
To block a website using the Hosts File, simply add the following entry:

127.0.0.1       blocksite.com

Although I do not do it, many users like to manually add entries to it in order to block opening of one or more particular websites. Yet other like to download and use List from well-know sources like mvps.org, to add entries which block malware sites from opening.

Edit Hosts file
If you need to edit the Hosts file, navigate to the following folder location:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
Here you will see the Hosts file. Right-click on it and select Notepad. Make the changes and Save.

But sometimes, even when you are logged on with administrative credentials, you may recieve the following error message:
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being sad for the situation is a snap judgement?

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#34]
You're still planning on allowing him access to this site I hope?

Cause without GD where will he stay up to date on what is going on in the world!!!
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Better off using WoT as a reward for completing his work.  If you try to block it there will be two possible outcomes; he will figure out a way around the block or just move onto the next game/website that he likes.

I am not an all reward and no punishment parent, but I have found that the right mix of reward/punishment produces faster gains than all punishment.  

I picked it up in a coaching book for football, for every negative try and come up with 3 positives.  

FWIW, something that has worked for me when motivating kids.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Get him a chromebook and put ms office online on it.
View Quote

This was my first thought but...

K12 website.

Can we do the classwork on a Chromebook or iPad?
Chromebooks and iPads are not compatible with the K12 Online School.

Chromebooks
Chromebooks do not allow users to download the additional software, such as the Blackboard Collaborate Launcher, that is required when completing courses. Also note that Chromebooks also do not have an Optical Drive (CD/DVD player).

iPads
Flash Application does not run on the iPad. Flash is required when accessing the K12 Online School.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Blocking at the router will not work.  Whats to stop him from plugging in a different router?
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, because you're making assumptions that are grossly incorrect, which is ironic, since 99% of the following is 100% applicable as to how I see things:

Quoted:

Completely shutting him down does NOT work, I've learned this in the past, but limiting his access, and suspending privileges until benchmarks are met does.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I made no such assumptions. The situation sucks. Hence the sad face.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Blocking at the router will not work.  Whats to stop him from plugging in a different router?
View Quote

The fact I don't live in the hood.

There's only two other broadband signals detectable from our house, both WPA protected, neither in a house with children.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mis-read into it on my part....Dammit this crow is TASTY!

ETA- We do have when you mean sad, and not Disapproval.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Better off using WoT as a reward for completing his work.  If you try to block it there will be two possible outcomes; he will figure out a way around the block or just move onto the next game/website that he likes.
That's why I want to "see" his screen and activity, AND be able to view it remotely. Once he's on a steady track, I want to be able to spot check his activity. Right here and now, I want him to KNOW I've gone BigBrother on his ass. A little paranoia will be good for him.

I am not an all reward and no punishment parent, but I have found that the right mix of reward/punishment produces faster gains than all punishment.  

Very true, once he's on track, I'll allow him access to his IPad. ONCE he's on track.

I picked it up in a coaching book for football, for every negative try and come up with 3 positives.  

FWIW, something that has worked for me when motivating kids.
View Quote

Other times a straight solid kick in the ass also does wonders. Me cutting off WoT with no forecasted recovery date is that kick in the ass.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see that now.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There's only two other broadband signals detectable from our house, both WPA protected, neither in a house with children.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He can just unplug the current one when you leave and plug in the other one. Or if he can find some place to permanently plug it in he can make the signal undetectable from you by hiding the SSID.  Broadcasting SSID's to the public is and option you can turn off. There may also be hidden ones that you do not know about right now.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Banning guns will end all the crime!
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
First,
 Install Teamviewer on the students computer and on yours and it will allow you to log onto the computer remotely.
 It's like a remote desk top tool. You can take control of the keyboard and mouse etc. Most importantly, you'll be able to see what he's working on at the time.  It adds a little bit of self discipline since he'll never know when you might log on.  I'm not positive but, there may be an indicator though that says who on teamviewer is logged on; so it is possible he will be alerted when you pop on.  That You'll have to look into.

check the Hosts file

link1
link2

View All Quotes
Quoted:
First,
 Install Teamviewer on the students computer and on yours and it will allow you to log onto the computer remotely.
 It's like a remote desk top tool. You can take control of the keyboard and mouse etc. Most importantly, you'll be able to see what he's working on at the time.  It adds a little bit of self discipline since he'll never know when you might log on.  I'm not positive but, there may be an indicator though that says who on teamviewer is logged on; so it is possible he will be alerted when you pop on.  That You'll have to look into.

check the Hosts file

link1
link2

Block website using Hosts file
To block a website using the Hosts File, simply add the following entry:

127.0.0.1       blocksite.com

Although I do not do it, many users like to manually add entries to it in order to block opening of one or more particular websites. Yet other like to download and use List from well-know sources like mvps.org, to add entries which block malware sites from opening.

Edit Hosts file
If you need to edit the Hosts file, navigate to the following folder location:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
Here you will see the Hosts file. Right-click on it and select Notepad. Make the changes and Save.

But sometimes, even when you are logged on with administrative credentials, you may recieve the following error message:

Right up until that big ol pop up that says "remote log in".

team viewer is AWESOME for helping my mother in law sort out her printer issues in NJ. Its not awesome for figuring out what a teenager is doing on the web.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
team viewer is AWESOME for helping my mother in law sort out her printer issues in NJ. Its not awesome for figuring out what a teenager is doing on the web.
View Quote

I don't think OP's intention was clandestine monitoring.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then just walk up on that shit then...
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#49]
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mytorch/torch-a-simple-router-for-digital-parenting
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
As far as mirroring goes, look at VNC.

https://www.realvnc.com/  is, well, "real" vnc.  May cost something for all features.

http://www.tightvnc.com/   Was recommended a while ago, not sure what it brings to the table over RealVNC.

I haven't used VNC in a while, but I used to use it in in a Win98 shop.  I would connect to a computer, disable input on my end, and scale the screen down to say 50% to maintain some readability or maybe 25% so I could at least see what apps are being used.

ETA You'll be installing the server/service on his computer and just the viewer on yours.  You'll have to make sure appropriate firewall ports are opened.
View Quote

Can't get into specifics, but this one should be avoided at the moment.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top