BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The SIG on the shirtless guy should be a clue
View Quote

Geeze why make them guess, just come out and say you think they are Navy.

I could be wrong but the shirtless guy looks like he has a Beretta, not a Sig. I could be wrong though
View Quote

The thread on the Rifles,Barrels,Uppers page has bigger pics of the wounded guy. It looks like a SIG grip to me too.

The HK guys though must be unhappy, here is at leat one Navy guy doing something important and NOT carrying a Mk23...
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The stock is a SOCOM stock, developed by Crane NSW.

The pistol is a SIG, the grips are wrap-around, not a bare serrated back-strap like on the M9.

As for who these guys are.  I am not saying but there are enough clues in this thread for you to figure it out.

JAW
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Can someone fill me in on what the shirtless guy is all about? Did he just get out of the shower? What's next, thong wearing ops? Aren't the Afghans unduly offended? Reminds me of the German police SWAT guy in shorts, t-shirt and hightops during that Iraqi hostage situation recently. I guess it's just the next step for special white trash forces.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can someone fill me in on what the shirtless guy is all about? Did he just get out of the shower? What's next, thong wearing ops? Aren't the Afghans unduly offended? Reminds me of the German police SWAT guy in shorts, t-shirt and hightops during that Iraqi hostage situation recently. I guess it's just the next step for special white trash forces.
View Quote

I'll fill you in:  He was received a head wound serving his country and is using his shirt to staunch the bleeding.  C'mon guy.. stop and think for a second before you make the smart-ass remarks about the guys putting their asses on the line.. not trying to flame you but seriously..
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Comment on the operator, not the weapon:  I'd guess Delta as well, not SEALs.  After just finishing "Inside Delta Force" this is exactly the kind of job Delta has been tasked to do in the past and they know exactly how to do it. In all the written-by-a-former-SEAL books I've read, I dont remember too many stories of diplomatic protection or bodyguarding by the SEALs.  I could also be completely wrong... My (somewhat "informed") armchair opinion.

--ZERO
View Quote
If I remember correctly, Delta includes Army SF, Navy SEALS, and other SpecOps types from all branches.  So if this is Delta, that does not rule out SEALS.  However, the article specifically referred to the bodyguards as U.S. Special Forces, so it may not be Delta at all.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh you know what, the wounded guy could still be Army. That could be a compact M11 and not a full size SIG like the SEALs like. Its hard to tell scale from a photo like this but it does look kind of on the compact side. But he was in plain clothes and that is the kind of work that the Army acquired them for.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Comment on the operator, not the weapon:  I'd guess Delta as well, not SEALs.  After just finishing "Inside Delta Force" this is exactly the kind of job Delta has been tasked to do in the past and they know exactly how to do it. In all the written-by-a-former-SEAL books I've read, I dont remember too many stories of diplomatic protection or bodyguarding by the SEALs.  I could also be completely wrong... My (somewhat "informed") armchair opinion.

--ZERO
View Quote
If I remember correctly, Delta includes Army SF, Navy SEALS, and other SpecOps types from all branches.  So if this is Delta, that does not rule out SEALS.  However, the article specifically referred to the bodyguards as U.S. Special Forces, so it may not be Delta at all.
View Quote

Oh dear, you are so going to get it from the Army guys Larry [:)]

Delta is the Army CT unit. The umbrella organization now for all US military Spec Ops units is  US Special Operations Command or SOCOM. It was publicly announced a number of months ago that SOCOM was going to take over being Karzais bodyguards- but SOCOM never made public which of its many units would get the task. Most assumed Delta because it is the Army CT unit-and the Army is by sheer numbers the dominant organization in SOCOM-but it looks like it may not be the case.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
CIA SPEC OPS are considered US special forces.

I say this as CIA operators like those vests..
View Quote

I'm sure you meant Special Ops.  Special Forces are Special Forces.  And that pistol is DEFINITELY a SIG.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Ahab:

I didn't see any blood on his head wrap. And I thought it was some bizarre turban thing. So you can see my confusion. There wasn't any mention of the guy being wounded anywhere too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#10]
XSFO-
My apologies- Some of the other threads about SF looking like white trash and killing their wives have got me panties bunched beyond belief.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#11]
The covert careers of some of these guys are definitely over now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Those carbines in the photos are made by Military Manufacturing Corp. also known as M2 Corp. They are currently in SOCOM inventory and used by USASOC units for dignitary protection. M2 makes a few models, one is being tested for aircrew use in the 160th to replace the PDW now used. M2 has a site at http://www.m2corp.com/ for the open site. They are also developing a 5.56x45mm round that is suppossed to give simlar performance out of the short barel as is given by a full size M16A4 and tame the flash. The weapon was designed and totally made by M2 in Nevada. KAC designed RIS/RAS is also used with the little beasts.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Those carbines in the photos are made by Military Manufacturing Corp. also known as M2 Corp. They are currently in SOCOM inventory and used by USASOC units for dignitary protection. M2 makes a few models, one is being tested for aircrew use in the 160th to replace the PDW now used. M2 has a site at http://www.m2corp.com/ for the open site. They are also developing a 5.56x45mm round that is suppossed to give simlar performance out of the short barel as is given by a full size M16A4 and tame the flash. The weapon was designed and totally made by M2 in Nevada. KAC designed RIS/RAS is also used with the little beasts.

Jim
View Quote

Thank you for the info. Unfortunatly their website has a under construction sign up, but thanks!

Have you visited the chat room yet?
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#14]
My source says the M2 offering is a different animal - but who really knows for sure guys?

This has been fun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Hi ArmdLbrl;

I haven't been to the "chat room". I only get a chance to get on between deployments, sorry about the site, there is a GSA section but can't give that one out. The pic on the page they have up is similar to the ones in question.

I don't know for animals, I just read the left side of the mag well of what's in the arms room.

Jim, Sine Pari
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#16]
certain miliatry personel are allowed to have facial hair and longer head hair, along with wearing afghan clothes -- to blend in and be less of a target, and out of respect for the afghan people.

before i get flamed for saying we need to respect these people -- its a lot easier to get things done with Honey

CIA, delta, NSA, seals, MDSS -- i have no doubt that they are ALL there in some form.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top