Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Casio does sell a dial type watch for less than $15 that looks similar to the basic Luminox.  I got one just because of..............cheapness.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Someone mentioned Suunto and also referenced Amazon, whats the deal with buying a watch from Amazon?

I'm interested in a couple of the watches you folks mentioned and usually shop Amazon first, am I doing it wrong?

Yall have talked me out of the Suunto.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#3]
solar g-shock. I have had mine for 12 years and beat the shit out of it. Needs a new band but the watch works fine.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had tons of expensive watches. Currently have 3 Suuntos sitting in a drawer with dead batteries.

$60 G-Shock has actually stood up to my abuse and while it looks like shit, it works.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Most Navy SEALs don't wear Luminox.  They wear G-Shocks. Just google pics of either and you will see the difference.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for the gshock. I got one about 6 months ago after not wearing a watch for several years and I haven't had one issue. It felt a little big at first but that's probably because I wasn't used to wearing one. Got used to it pretty quick and now I barely notice it when wearing. Got it from amazon too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm wearing my trusty Luminox Stealth watch now. I love the watch, probably had it 15 years now, and mine hasn't been as flimsy as others have been here.

That said I would love to add a G-Shock to the nightstand .
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Jesus, you might as well just strap a clock to your arm lol
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
casio Protrek
http://www.casio.com/resource/images/products/watches/large/PRW3000-1A_large.png
Atomic time
Solar power
Barometer
Altimeter
Compass
PRW3000-1A

I love mine.
View Quote
I hope the sensor is better than it used to be. I have a ~5 year old protrek and it usually can't tell pressure or altitude for shit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Gshock.  Luminox are overpriced crap and they will give you shit about warrantee service if you need it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I hope the sensor is better than it used to be. I have a ~5 year old protrek and it usually can't tell pressure or altitude for shit.
View Quote
No triple sensor I'm aware of will give useful pressure or altitude readings without constant tuning to known benchmarks.  They're good for some hours or so between tunes provided there's no hellacious drop or spike in barometric pressure.

Pilots will get a readout of the local barometer at their landing site so they can tune their barometric altimeter just before trying to land, same general idea I think.

The thermometer aint worth a shit when it's worn either, body heat throws it way off.  Gotta take it off and let it sit a while.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
solar g-shock. I have had mine for 12 years and beat the shit out of it. Needs a new band but the watch works fine.
View Quote
strap adapters and nato strap.  I broke the rubber crap in 5 months.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Do they still come with a complementary credit card theft?

I like the Suunto Core
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Suunto Core...nuff said #fact
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Do they still come with a complementary credit card theft?

I like the Suunto Core
View Quote
Do they still come with complementary broken bezel and dead battery?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Jesus, you might as well just strap a clock to your arm lol
View Quote
Yeah you're right.  Like G Shocks aren't HUGE.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Skip the Luminox.

G-Shocks are bomb proof.

If you want a beater the DW6900 is hard to beat.

Solar, atomic time keeping and tough as nails. $46 on Target's website.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I've wore Luminox watches for years. Have 5 or 6 of them right now. I had a battery issue with one that Luminox fixed for free.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've wore Luminox watches for years. Have 5 or 6 of them right now. I had a battery issue with one that Luminox fixed for free.
View Quote
I have probably ten Vostoks.  Never had a battery issue with one of them.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:19:18 AM EDT
[#21]
That's what is on my wrist right now. My EDC watch.
Love the tritium, much better than gshock light. But I do like my gshock.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:38:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I would NOT recommend Luminox. They're poor quality for the price range they're in. I'd do Suunto, Casio, Seiko, Citizen in that price range. Of all the watches I own, the Luminox has had the most problems.
Only reason I still have it is because it has sentimental value.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:53:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
casio Protrek
http://www.casio.com/resource/images/products/watches/large/PRW3000-1A_large.png
Atomic time
Solar power
Barometer
Altimeter
Compass
PRW3000-1A

I love mine.
View Quote
You forgot water resistant to 10Bar (however deep that is).
I have the same model, but with the light background/dark numerals & lettering. My feeling is the same.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 5:07:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Owned a Luminox and liked the size, features and style but experienced similar issues to other posters.  Tried a larger g-shock but it is just too big.  Now I wear a smaller g-shock with atomic time and solar power.  Looks a little nerdy but a great, functional, watch that doesn't stand out the way the bigger G shocks and Suuntos do.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:00:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Luminox is the Kimber of the watch world.  Avoid.

I have a G-Shock Mudman (Solar/Compass) - It has held up pretty well.  Another good one is the Garmin Tactix/Fenix.  Those are, in my experience, every bit as tough as a G-Shock and have many great features.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:05:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Marathon
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Have owned both. Still keep g shocks around.

Best g shock made is the DW-5600, it's boring and simple - but that's what makes it the best.

Look at the GG-1000 models of G shocks or the rangeman series.

Luminox sucks - if you want a tritium watch get a marathon tsar or a traser 6506 at a minimum.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:12:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a luminox Recon. Bezel between compass and glass fell off after about a year.  Also had an issue where the second hand was getting jammed. Changed battery and problem went away for a few days . Went to put on watch and found it was jammed again. Slammed her down on the counter and has been trouble free since then. I actually found two G shock watches at my buddies bussiness and kept both after no one claimed them at different times.  Gave both away as they were too bulky.   As for the g shock it gets worn in very incliment weather, floods , hurricanes, house fires and gets vibrated condtantly going down the road in the ambulance.  I do wear it face down to protect the glass from getting fractured like my last watch
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:45:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Suunto core
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Or get a Seiko with the same movement for 87% less.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you want an automatic, analog check out Deep Blue Watches. I have a Master 1000 and its a helluva watch for the money

Deep Blue

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/288011/20170103-115536-204833.JPG
Or get a Seiko with the same movement for 87% less.....
Seiko doesn't have the tritium.

Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:51:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Have owned both. Still keep g shocks around.

Best g shock made is the DW-5600, it's boring and simple - but that's what makes it the best.

Look at the GG-1000 models of G shocks or the rangeman series.

Luminox sucks - if you want a tritium watch get a marathon tsar or a traser 6506 at a minimum.
View Quote
While my experience with Luminox has been positive, I've gotta agree with Finslayer. The GG-1000 series are very cool.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#32]
a G shock will last damn near forever
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe.

I've owned 2.

1 lasted 9 months.
The second lasted 3-4 years
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:36:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Op,  it's not complicated. There's a reason G shock is so popular. Endless choices of colors and styles,  last a really long Damn time
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have a luminox Recon. Bezel between compass and glass fell off after about a year.  Also had an issue where the second hand was getting jammed. Changed battery and problem went away for a few days . Went to put on watch and found it was jammed again. Slammed her down on the counter and has been trouble free since then. I actually found two G shock watches at my buddies bussiness and kept both after no one claimed them at different times.  Gave both away as they were too bulky.   As for the g shock it gets worn in very incliment weather, floods , hurricanes, house fires and gets vibrated condtantly going down the road in the ambulance.  I do wear it face down to protect the glass from getting fractured like my last watch
View Quote
That's how you know a quartz watch needs a new battery.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is a luminox worth it? Is a g shock just as good?

Which should I get? I haven't owned one in 20 years.
View Quote

Luminox
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bought mine like 15 or so years ago. I've only had to change the battery once. I've looked at other G-Shocks and eventually I'd like to buy another one.

Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:43:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Luminox watches suck. I bought into the hype and got one. I dropped it, on carpet and one of the tritium vials fell out. They would not repair it because i bought it from Amazon.

I would get a G shock of the 2 you chose to pick from.
View Quote
Sounds like you got a counterfeit. I once bought an EoTech Holosight with NV button through Amazon.com. It took a month and a half to arrive (shipped from Ireland from the postmark). It was a counterfeit. No NV, just a green led. Amazon was worthless in reporting this and the company stopped advertising the sight. I reported the counterfeit Holosight to ICE.

As for Luminox, I'll say this. For decades I tried to find a watch that would last more than two years. I started out (as a teenager) buying Timex and then moved up to Seiko watches. None would last more than two years before the watch died/stopped working mechanically (even with new batteries). I tried a Bulova. 2 years and it died. Then I got a Luminox and it lasted 5 or 6 years (replaced the battery after 2 years). The I upgraded to a more expensive Luminox with the stainless steel bracelet and I've had this watch for over 7 years and it's still running great (changed the battery 3 times now). This watch has been swimming, snorkeling, and diving with me in Cozumel and Nassau.  Best watch I've ever had and going strong.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#40]
G-Shocks are my go to. My current one has lasted 6 years, no issues.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Want it to last and not break?

Then you want a g shock.

Get one that has solar and atomic timekeeping.

Mine is 15 years old and I wear it every day.
I had to replace the rechargeable battery a couple of years ago- but no big deal.  Got on YouTube and did it myself.
View Quote
Agree. I have 2 GW4000 I alternate wearing daily. They have different color markers etc. Great watches.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#42]
my Luminox second hand fell off within 2 months or fairly easy use-  Luckily the wife bought it as a gift for me from an authorized dealer so no problem with the warranty work, but i don't trust it for shit.  But I've got a 16 year old $150.00 Wenger that has been around the world and has had the shit beat out of it - that still ticks away fine.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Primary G on my wrist

Just got this backup one for $24 today at the pawn shop. Had spare adapters and strap in my parts bin. Bull bars on order. I'm serious when I say I'm rough on stuff

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:25:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Someone mentioned Suunto and also referenced Amazon, whats the deal with buying a watch from Amazon?

I'm interested in a couple of the watches you folks mentioned and usually shop Amazon first, am I doing it wrong?

Yall have talked me out of the Suunto.
View Quote
I don't know what the deal with buying Suunto on Amazon is, but keep in mind when you buy on Amazon, you aren't necessarily buying from Amazon.
You have to look and see who the actual seller is.
Then I imagine you need to check to see if the actual seller is a Suunto dealer or not.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:45:23 AM EDT
[#45]
My one real bitch about the two G Shocks I have is that the wristbands broke quick. Not the bands themselves but the metal pins. Snagged both on something or other and the pin gets bent barely bolding the watch on. One actually popped a little chunk of plastic out of the back of the watch that makes it even easier for the band to come off now. 
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you want an automatic, analog check out Deep Blue Watches. I have a Master 1000 and its a helluva watch for the money

Deep Blue

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/288011/20170103-115536-204833.JPG
View Quote
Bought a T-100 day/night blue , love the watch. Looks great,  Seiko automatic moment,  super bright tritium, wear it when i sleep and it lights up my wall.   Wears well, use nato straps
And the best part,  i got it on sale paid $215 shipped to my door
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#47]
One other point...out of the two, g shock is the only one rated for space operations by NASA
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top