Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't read any of the books in that alternate universe.  I reject the whole premise that it's based on.

The premise that our public and private debt totals 100% of the GLOBAL GDP?

I don't know if that is a debatable point of discussion or not.

Maybe we aren't talking about the same book.  I'm thinking of the sci-fi novel by John Birmingham, the second in a trilogy about America being wiped out by a mystical wave of energy.

EDIT:  I found the Steyn book.  I'll check it out.  And as far as the Global GDP thing, well, I've been making certain purchases.  

For the hurricanes.  Yeah, that's it.  For the hurricanes.....

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Do you really think all of the economists who are talking about the 'fiscal cliff' are crying wolf?

Do you really think the retads who elected Obama and the media who shilled for him will blame him if there is a massive collapse?  

EVERYTHING is ALWAYS the rights fault, no matter what.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm 99% certain our economy will completely collapse in the next 4 years.

I don't want a republican holding the bag when it does.

Nothing Governor Romney is willing to do can do will reverse the direction of this country anyway.

I fixed that last sentence for you. It's not can do it's are any of these turds we keep electing willing to do what we need done to fix things.

if only the gop electorate was as smart as you paulbots. right?

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you really think all of the economists who are talking about the 'fiscal cliff' are crying wolf?

Do you really think the retads who elected Obama and the media who shilled for him will blame him if there is a massive collapse?  

I don't care about those retards. I care about the other 50% of us, and American History.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're still stinging from the first debate. Just wait.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing Governor Romney is willing to do can do will reverse the direction of this country anyway.

I fixed that last sentence for you. It's not can do it's are any of these turds we keep electing willing to do what we need done to fix things.

OP is miles away from being a Paulbot (am I the only one that remembers what people write?)

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Ah yes.  OP is jerking it with CLP in his parents basement.

The country made it through Carter, we can make it through Obama.  Not saying it will be easy, but we just can't sit on the sidelines and not vote or vote for some no name third party candidate that has less of a chance of winning than winning the lottery.

Wow. So this is your level of maturity?

I have no patience for fatalistic quiters.  I've been through enough in life to realize things do get better even though you hit rock bottom.  Or you could just be trolling.  In that case, awesome level of maturity you have.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you loved America, those words in your title would never pass your lips.

I love this country dearly.

I don't think it will be the same America we know now, no matter who wins the election.

So how'd you like to see America go out?

With a proven turn around professional coming in at 6am and working late, trying his hardest to save America?

Or with a slacker rolling in at 10am and leaving at 3 to hit the links?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP is miles away from being a Paulbot (am I the only one that remembers what people write?)  

Wasn't talking about op
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On AR15.com, anyone you don't agree with = Paulbot.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah yes.  OP is jerking it with CLP in his parents basement.

The country made it through Carter, we can make it through Obama.  Not saying it will be easy, but we just can't sit on the sidelines and not vote or vote for some no name third party candidate that has less of a chance of winning than winning the lottery.

Wow. So this is your level of maturity?

I have no patience for fatalistic quiters.  I've been through enough in life to realize things do get better even though you hit rock bottom.  Or you could just be trolling.  In that case, awesome level of maturity you have.

I'm not trolling.

Actually you are speaking my language.

We NEED to hit bottom in order to recover, IMO.

You guys should understand that I'm not a political person. I don't really get into this stuff much.

I'm not quitting. I'm acknowledging reality, and considering that maybe we should make a strategic move with this hot potato.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think it will be the same America we know now, no matter who wins the election.

With a proven turn around professional coming in at 6am and working late, trying his hardest to save America?

I don't know what you are talking about.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nothing Governor Romney can do will reverse the direction of this country anyway.

You may be correct, but I don't think it will matter which party's candidate is in the white house at the time.

In the mean time I'm going to keep fighting to fix what we have.  I'll vote for the better candidate every time just in case we can fix this.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing Governor Romney can do will reverse the direction of this country anyway.

You may be correct, but I don't think it will matter which party's candidate is in the white house at the time.

In the mean time I'm going to keep fighting to fix what we have.  I'll vote for the better candidate every time just in case we can fix this.

I can certainly understand that.

How do you think we can fix this?

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#15]
We are pretty close now in proportion to what we were at in 1980-1 with Carter.  Reagan turned it around.  Romney MIGHT be able to do that...

If he's elected...it MAY be doom and gloom.  With Obummer, its a certainty.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I can certainly understand that.

How do you think we can fix this?

I don't have the answers, but since I have kids that have to live in whatever country we leave them I'm not going to say fuck it let 0bama do what he wants.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why do you think that?

We've had more debt(%) in the past than we do now. We've had similar unemployment. We came out of it.

If Romney can get the corporate tax rate lowered, and switch to a territorial tax system, we could see an additional $1 trillion + brought into our economy simply from a territorial tax system in one year. That's about 6% of our GDP. It would be a real stimulus, creating real jobs and real demand, unlike false stimulus from the government.

There is really no reason why we can't fix our problems. We can put ourselves in competition again, and enjoy good economic growth. Our economic growth will strengthen the rest of the world along with it(not that there won't be some Greece's along the way).
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

We are pretty close now in proportion to what we were at in 1980-1 with Carter.  Reagan turned it around.  Romney MIGHT be able to do that...

Based on the numbers, we are so far past the fiscal point of no return, I'm not sure it's possible to turn this around.

I don't know about the numbers with Carter. Were we running 1.4 Trillion dollar deficits every year then?

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you think that?

We've had more debt(%) in the past than we do now. We've had similar unemployment. We came out of it.

If Romney can get the corporate tax rate lowered, and switch to a territorial tax system, we could see an additional $1 trillion + brought into our economy simply from a territorial tax system in one year. That's about 6% of our GDP. It would be a real stimulus, creating real jobs and real demand, unlike false stimulus from the government.

There is really no reason why we can't fix our problems. We can put ourselves in competition again, and enjoy good economic growth. Our economic growth will strengthen the rest of the world along with it(not that there won't be some Greece's along the way).

When did we have more debt?

Entitlements will have to go to zero to right this ship.  There can be no half measures.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to elaborate, in general terms, your rationale for this belief?

Its obvious that we are in a tailspin right now, but Im not convinced that it is so bad we cant recover.

how can we recover?

serious question

Look at Massachusetts.

Romney came in with them running an illegal deficit. They were 50th in job creation. They were 6th in education. They had 6% unemployment.

In 4 years, Romney balanced 5 budgets, put $1.5 billion into the state's rainy day fund, improved the schools(with less funding) to 1st in the nation, took the state from 50th to 28th in job creation, and had unemployment down to 4.6%.

I know, I know... He signed the 'fix' for the existing AWB. But, he said he won't do that on a federal level, and that has nothing, really, to do with fixing the economy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#21]
A collapse of the economy is unlikely. However, an increase in the general price level at rates higher than most Americans are used to is inevitable. FedReserve is creating hundreds of billions of dollars each year to finance deficit spending. FedReserve created a trillion in new bank reserves, most of which are now on deposit at the regional FedReserve banks shoring up the banks' balance sheets. Eventually that money will begin to circulate. when it does it will drive down the value of the dollar and drive up the dollar price of everything.
If the economy turns around, the money which businesses are sitting on will also begin to circulate as they spend it to expand and hire. That will make the problem worse. Eventually, interest rates will rise to compensate lenders for the loss in value of the dollars they receive as repayment. The higher interest rate will choke off the recovery.

In the 1970s the media called it "stagflation". Whoever is occupying the WH when this happens gets the blame whether he is responsible or not. The process is simply too complex for most Americans to understand so they blame the President in office when the problem comes to their attention.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I don't have the answers, but since I have kids that have to live in whatever country we leave them I'm not going to say fuck it let 0bama do what he wants.

I have already made arrangements to protect my kids.

If you accept that there is an impending collapse, which everyone agrees there is, (not everyone agrees on the scale), would you want to postpone it or let it happen sooner so we can get on with recovery.

My kids are 8 years from entering the workforce. If we keep postponing the adjustment, it may hit us at the very time our kids are ready to participate in society.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Crystal clear.

OP wants to see America going out with obamacare, dodd frank, holder's injustice and green moonbats running the epa.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't think this country is fixable. I don't think it has been for a century or more, to be perfectly honest.

As I've said in many threads here before, a Romney presidency would be better in the short term than an Obama presidency. I can't vote for Romney because many of his views and policies are antithetical to my own beliefs, but I sure as hell am not hoping Obama wins.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Balls.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you think that?

When did we have that?

No amount of wealth brought into our Economy will satisfy our public debt obligations. No amount of taxation generated by that wealth will impact our impending collapse, IMO.

Even if you to took 100% of the wealth from the top 400 wealthiest Americans, you wouldn't even pay our budget for one year.

I'm less worried about stimulating the Economy, and more worried about the world standing of the US Dollar.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know what you are talking about.

What I'm saying is, would you rather have the ship go down with people trying their hardest to save it, or incompetents playing shuffle board on the lido deck?

Which embodies the American spirit better?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you think that?

When did we have more debt?

Entitlements will have to go to zero to right this ship.  There can be no half measures.  

We were at 120% of GDP in the 40s, and we're at about 100% right now.

Entitlements can be fixed in so many ways... it's irrational fear-mongering to talk about 100-years worth of entitlement costs as if they are a current debt.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to elaborate, in general terms, your rationale for this belief?

Its obvious that we are in a tailspin right now, but Im not convinced that it is so bad we cant recover.

how can we recover?

serious question

Look at Massachusetts.

Romney came in with them running an illegal deficit. They were 50th in job creation. They were 6th in education. They had 6% unemployment.

In 4 years, Romney balanced 5 budgets, put $1.5 billion into the state's rainy day fund, improved the schools(with less funding) to 1st in the nation, took the state from 50th to 28th in job creation, and had unemployment down to 4.6%.

I know, I know... He signed the 'fix' for the existing AWB. But, he said he won't do that on a federal level, and that has nothing, really, to do with fixing the economy.

Completely different. Improving schools and creating jobs will not erase our entitlement obligations.

It's one thing to do it a state level, where federal money will help prop up your programs.

Where does the money come from when the fed is broke?

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why do you think that?

Someone is going to end up very disappointed if WMR is elected. Your expectations are unrealistic, to say the least.
In fact, it's not too much to say that your level of expectations reminds me of those of another group of Americans who supported a candidate for President in a recent election. If only I could put my finger on which election that was ...
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

A collapse of the economy is unlikely. However, an increase in the general price level at rates higher than most Americans are used to is inevitable. FedReserve is creating hundreds of billions of dollars each year to finance deficit spending. FedReserve created a trillion in new bank reserves, most of which are now on deposit at the regional FedReserve banks shoring up the banks' balance sheets. Eventually that money will begin to circulate. when it does it will drive down the value of the dollar and drive up the dollar price of everything.

If the economy turns around, the money which businesses are sitting on will also begin to circulate as they spend it to expand and hire. That will make the problem worse. Eventually, interest rates will rise to compensate lenders for the loss in value of the dollars they receive as repayment. The higher interest rate will choke off the recovery.

In the 1970s the media called it "stagflation". Whoever is occupying the WH when this happens gets the blame whether he is responsible or not. The process is simply too complex for most Americans to understand so they blame the President in office when the problem comes to their attention.

My thoughts as well.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Balls.

I love you Grin.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:When did we have that?

No amount of wealth brought into our Economy will satisfy our public debt obligations. No amount of taxation generated by that wealth will impact our impending collapse, IMO.

Even if you to took 100% of the wealth from the top 400 wealthiest Americans, you wouldn't even pay our budget for one year.

I'm less worried about stimulating the Economy, and more worried about the world standing of the US Dollar.

We had more debt in the 40's. You can just look at dollar amounts, you have to compare it to the size of the economy. We were at 120% then, we're at 100% now.

We do need to cut our spending, but if we get a territorial tax system, and see 4-6% growth for a few years, we could balance our budget much more easily than we could with our current low growth.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Interestingly, I see it the EXACT opposite way.

The economy will turn around and start growing again, with substantially lower unemployment, within the next four years (regardless of who wins the election), and whomever happens to be sitting in the oval office when it happens will get credit for it - and that party will also win in 2016.

The economy is inherently cyclical, and while it may take a while to turn (and obviously is taking more than 4 years), I don't think it's going to take 8 - so the turnaround will occur during this next term.

So to me, we HAVE TO get a Republican into the White House now, or the Democrats will own it for the next 8 years (not just 4), and that will be a disaster for the SCOTUS.  

This is a fair point, and I mostly agree with it.

I don't think that voting is the way to achieve it (as a concerned individual), but if it happens, I really do think it'll go down, as you say.

My prediction? The turnaround is going to happen under Obama's watch. To be sure, it'll be in spite of him (not because of him), but it'll happen.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

There is many key differences between 1980 and now.

I don't think Reagan himself could have turned things around the same way today.

Its a different America.

Romney can slow the pace.

I guess I'm fine with that.

If its all going to crash let it be later.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The economy will turn around and start growing again, with substantially lower unemployment, within the next four years (regardless of who wins the election), and whomever happens to be sitting in the oval office when it happens will get credit for it - and that party will also win in 2016.

The economy is inherently cyclical, and while it may take a while to turn (and obviously is taking more than 4 years), I don't think it's going to take 8 - so the turnaround will occur during this next term.

So to me, we HAVE TO get a Republican into the White House now, or the Democrats will own it for the next 8 years (not just 4), and that will be a disaster for the SCOTUS.  

Damn, I hope you are right.

So how do you think the public debt situation will play out? Obviously it won't turn around, and no amount of private wealth generation (and thus tax revenue) will keep up with our spending.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have already made arrangements to protect my kids.

If you accept that there is an impending collapse, which everyone agrees there is, (not everyone agrees on the scale), would you want to postpone it or let it happen sooner so we can get on with recovery.

My kids are 8 years from entering the workforce. If we keep postponing the adjustment, it may hit us at the very time our kids are ready to participate in society.

Except you don't know what our collapse would actually look like, or what would be born out of it.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you think that?

The problems are well more than just the economy. Fix that, and you've won one of many battles with the rest mostly ignored.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Completely different. Improving schools and creating jobs will not erase our entitlement obligations.

It's one thing to do it a state level, where federal money will help prop up your programs.

Where does the money come from when the fed is broke?

It's not completely different. He had a budget, he had deficits. He cut spending, he eliminated waste, he increased revenues, he improved results.

Entitlements are a different issue than the general economy. They are a part of it, but you kind of have to address them differently.

Social Security is so ridiculously easy to fix. Medicare is more difficult, but it can be done.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#41]
T
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually don't think it's possible.

It's possible in a theoretical sense but the American people lack the will to make those kind of decisions and want to believe unicorns exist and if we just slow .gov growth to 10% we'll be ok.

Cut the federal government to 85% of what government income is and use the remaining 15% to pay down the debt. Whether it's mitary, DHS grants for fire engines or new computers in the library everyone has their pet project that just can't be cut. Look at the mindset of most arfcommers who trend "conservative". How many of them would accept a 30% cut in government spending.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
Agree.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do you think that?

Someone is going to end up very disappointed if WMR is elected. Your expectations are unrealistic, to say the least.
In fact, it's not too much to say that your level of expectations reminds me of those of another group of Americans who supported a candidate for President in a recent election. If only I could put my finger on which election that was ...

Why? Let's have a discussion then.

Do you disagree with my assertions about the effects of a territorial tax system?

Do you disagree with the effects that an additional $1 trillion + of investment would have?

Do you disagree about the effects of having a competitive business environment?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

What I'm saying is, would you rather have the ship go down with people trying their hardest to save it, or incompetents playing shuffle board on the lido deck?

Which embodies the American spirit better?

I see where you are coming from.

Obviously, when you put it that way, I would love to fight to the very end and go out kicking and screaming.

At some point, in any conflict, though, there are times when cutting your losses and trying to make the best on the other side of failure is your best option.

Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and take what you have coming.

America has been enjoying a socialistic lifestyle for too long, and it's coming time to pay the piper.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Balls.

I love you Grin.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who the hell said anything about Ron Paul?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you think that?

The problems are well more than just the economy. Fix that, and you've won one of many battles with the rest mostly ignored.

I know that, but at this point, I consider our economy to be the most important.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#48]
yeah, because it's about blame... not fixing problems.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Facts and logic in GD
I am shocked.

Monk
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

We were at 120% of GDP in the 40s, and we're at about 100% right now.

Entitlements can be fixed in so many ways... it's irrational fear-mongering to talk about 100-years worth of entitlement costs as if they are a current debt.

I'm not talking about 100 years worth.

I'm talking about the next few years.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top