Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:12:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Brother Clean_Cut, you were not supposed to talk about us outside of the cult church.
We are very dissapointed...

Baptists are crazy.  Just look at arowneragain.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:15:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Brother Clean_Cut, you were not supposed to talk about us outside of the cult church.

And there you have it.  Why not just call the Church a compound while you're at it?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:20:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I have no problem with parents protecting their kids from the evil of the world.  Doing it at the church level gives more social interaction than just home schooling.  So what if the kids are a little "odd" when they grow up.  They'll have a good moral foundation, which is more than 99+% of the population gets.

Remember, Jesus and the 12 were a cult.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:29:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
These questions are mainly for the Christians on the board. A while back I posted about visiting various churches.

I really like this one, but I don't want to get involved with something I'll regret later.

My biggest concern is that they are self-isolating from the rest of society. It's like I step into another world.

They are self-isolating, but welcomed you and you were comfortable there??
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#6]
That's a cult, not a church. Run
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:40:42 AM EDT
[#7]
As long as no one outside the Church is wearing white hoods you should be alright.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:45:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't tell the ATF nor the FBI they might gas 'em and burn 'em.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:54:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

<-----

If I'm crazy, I don't wanna be sane!

<---now much less baptist, much more Christian, or so I hope.

Hey, C_C,
been wondering where you were. I'd honestly suggest you visit some more churches. I'm not saying there's ANYTHING wrong with the one you describe, but there could be. Keep trying.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:01:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
These questions are mainly for the Christians on the board. A while back I posted about visiting various churches.
I really like this one, but I don't want to get involved with something I'll regret later.
My biggest concern is that they are self-isolating from the rest of society. It's like I step into another world.

I work with a lady who is a part of a non-denominational church similiar to how you have described that one.  Honestly, she is one of the most humble, pleasant people I've ever known.  There is definitely no alterior motive to her's and her church members' worship preference.  Her family doesn't have a TV, they make most of their food from scratch, wear the skirts and everything all of the time.  And honestly, she one of the more genuinely happy people I know.  Their spirits aren't surpressed by all of the materialism and questionable entertainment that is so prevalent these days.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:13:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I was raised in what amounts to a cult. Same kind of attitude.

It's a cult. Run away.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:48:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:54:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:05:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

They are, from appearances, 'highly conservative'.

I won't pass judgement on their theology, as I've never heard any of it... In general, such groups are either (a) not really a cult, in that they exhibit 'cultish' isolationisim but are strictly theologically correct, or (b) are conservative/classical to a 'cultish' level, and have some theological 'issues' that arise as a result of this...

Historically, it sounds like something out of the anabaptist tradition  (the same movement, back in Reformation times, that spawned the Amish & Mennonite sects, as well as the 'mainstream' Baptist denomination)...
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:22:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Which is why I hang out with the reprobates here.

HEY! I...  err yeah.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:27:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Jesus does not care whether you mow the lawn in shorts, or not!

But we do.

I DO NOT want to see you mowing your lawn in your Hanes.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I recommended you check out a Calvary Chapel if there is one near you last time you asked about churches. That recommendation still stands.

If all the members moved together, they are being controlled by the leader as I'm sure he made the decision to make the move. You went to a cult, not a house of god in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I recommended you check out a Calvary Chapel if there is one near you last time you asked about churches. That recommendation still stands.

I went to a Calvary Chapel here, and they did seem to have their heads on straight.  It was too big for my tastes, however.  I've been going to a Vinyard church recently, and I can highly recommend it.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't believe God's church was meant to be isolated from the world.  Light and the salt, separated from darkness and preservatives is useless.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Some Mennonites in South Carolina helped my wife and I out when we broke down there in the Barnwell/Blackville area this past spring.  They could easily be classified as a cult by the standards set forth in this thread, apparently.  But for the attitudes and servanthood they showed us while we were stranded there I have vowed to repay them somehow before I die.  I wish there were more like them in this world.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Some Mennonites in South Carolina helped my wife and I out when we broke down there in the Barnwell/Blackville area this past spring.  They could easily be classified as a cult by the standards set forth in this thread, apparently.  But for the attitudes and servanthood they showed us while we were stranded there I have vowed to repay them somehow before I die.  I wish there were more like them in this world.

I have helped people broke down before, in fact I did it a few weeks ago when an elderly couple had a flat and the old man refused to let his wife call road side assistance even though he wasn't strong enough to loosen the lug nuts. (that old man has my respect for that by the way)

I am not a menonite but I still helped them. There are good/bad people in religion and seculerism too, being a part of any org. doesn't make you kind or bad.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have helped people broke down before, in fact I did it a few weeks ago when an elderly couple had a flat and the old man refused to let his wife call road side assistance even though he wasn't strong enough to loosen the lug nuts. (that old man has my respect for that by the way)

I am not a menonite but I still helped them. There are good/bad people in religion and seculerism too, being a part of any org. doesn't make you kind or bad.

Agreed.  I just feel like these people may have gone a little extra out of their way to appease us due to their nature as set forth by their religious practices and beliefs.  They tend to example their life after Christ, whose primary role was serving others (even washing the feet of his disciples).  And by helping us, I mean they did so monetarily, spiritually, and so on.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top