Link Posted: 5/3/2011 4:43:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

join the marines, dont bget any pussy.

Fixed it for you both.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 4:48:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Look for a MOS (job) that will give you something to do in the civilian world. Mechanic, heavy equipment operator, computers, aviation.  You can't get a job driving tanks in the real world.

P.S. Get ready for lots of sensitvity training.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 6:55:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Army Mp's are mainly doing combat support now.  DOD Police are doing law enforcement on most bases now.   if you join the army, get use to being deployed. However ,you will  get to play with some cool weapons.  The MK 19 is awesome.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#5]
USMC Security Forces. You can get embassy duty and see the world.

or not.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Go be a MP in the Army. Talking to SF in the Air Force, I have found that they either hate it or love it with hate being about 75%. There is no in between. MPs count less rivets too.

What were the reasons they hated it?

Send me a PM.  I can answer all your questions.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
AF, Coast Guard, Navy, USMC, Army in that order.

The Navy has JCS and special forces command and "SEALS" got to take down Bin Laden.

The Army is the Rodney Dangerfield of .mil.

"We are not worthy" should be the Army motto. How many times has Army lost to Navy in football IN A ROW! and now the NAVY gets to take down the most notorious enemy of good since fucking HITLER!?

Inter-service rivalry, FUCK YEAH!

Shut your whore mouth.

The absolutely irrelevant to the War on Terror Navy has to pretend to be the Army to get into the fight.  Squids wondering around in the desert...  Yeah.

If the Sea Service's claim to fame is football, then that's pretty sad.

A bunch of skinnies in rowboats is about the only "naval" action the mighty USN handles.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:53:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Go be a MP in the Army. Talking to SF in the Air Force, I have found that they either hate it or love it with hate being about 75%. There is no in between. MPs count less rivets too.

At the lower ranks E1-E5 you are sitting on a flightline and watching a plane for 12 hours (rivet counting). At some bases its sitting at a missle silo watching a hole in the ground. At some bases its sitting in a cement bunker watching a fence line. Really boring work. As you get along in rank (E6 and above) its gets better. There is a lot of AF SF here. I'm sure they will be along to tell you way more. The only interaction I have with them is ordering stuff for them and walking by them at an ECP and they want to look at my RAB. Military bases are known for being pretty safe. Not a lot of crime. So even patrolling (LE minded side) is pretty boring.  

Some love it and some hate it. My nephew is SF and he hated Korea. I loved Korea, but I wasn't a cop. He is at Hickam now and says its better than Korea but he is still getting out.

E-5 counting rivets? Must have been a good troop....

Are there any good cop E5s?
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And what ever you do, don't join artillery.

No kidding!,

Ft Sill is a shithole.

There is a reason they gave Oklahoma to the Indians.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:24:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just think about what an MP does. When a real soldier is trying to do their job you would be the guy interrupting them to give them a ticket.

I meant why do the Air Force SF hate it. Since you said to do Army MP instead. As far as citations I highly doubt I'd be writing many to servicemen. I hardly write any now as it is. You really have to do something stupid or just be a super asshole to get a citation from me.

Well maybe you should go MP and talk some sense into the other MP's then. I've gotten a ticket on an airbase for going 3mph over the speed limit.

I've also had MP's wait at the Entry Control Point (ECP) over seas, and when I would come off of a 4 or 5 day combat logistical patrol (CLP) I would get pulled over for taking my helmet off to dry my sweaty head.
They actually enforce the speed limits overseas on little pretend dirt roads in the middle of no where. When everyone is trying to fight a war the MP's are pulling them over...

WTF??

They dragged the rule over from stateside garrison, that you have to have a helmet on in a tactical vehicle. I would be inside friendly lines just getting off mission just taking it off to dry my sweaty ass dome and we got pulled over for it....

MP's I fucking hate them. I could never have a job that all I do is give service members and their families trouble.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:27:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If you want to be an MP, be an MP.

Dont be an MP because you think it is better for getting into civilian Law Enforcement later down the road. This is simply not true, but people repeat it... repeatedly.

I lot of the wrong people go into the MP business. It's a field which often attracts some very specific personality traits, not all of which you always want to be associated with. You can see that in some of the posts in these threads.

thisthisthisthisthismotherfuckingthis.
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lea-DURRRRRR-Ship

Yeah, that too.

OP, depending where you get stationed, the "Law Enforcement" side of MP's is getting smaller and smaller. Stateside, DoD cops do most everything. I've never written a ticket in my career. Never cuffed anyone. Never had to go hands on with drunks... almost, but not quite. For the first two years of my hitch my job was "Here's an M16, guard this gate." Now, it's "Here's a patrol boat. Guard this ship."

MP's are more "Security" than "Police" now, especially stateside. There are law enforcement bases, but they're outnumbered by Antiterrorism bases. MP work is tedious and boring, but it's also incredibly easy (provided nothing actually happens ) and that is reflected in the ASVAB scores of the incoming recruits... and in some cases their superiors. The only thing the security forces side has going for it is a somewhat predictable schedule when attached to a base. Get a mobile unit and it's game on, though. I'd advise an incoming recruit to take a more technical route and learn something, aquire a skillset. Someone here mentioned a TS/SCI job... while guys with those clearances are becoming much more common, it's still going to give you a greater benefit outside. Or, go SEALs/SWCC/EOD. Security has done nothing for me besides be a job I do while trying to cram as much college in while I still have the Tuition Assitance

This is just the perspective of an ambivalent one-hitch-wonder squid, though. As always, your mileage may vary. Army MP's actually get sent downrange (I tried like hell, got Gaeta, Italy instead ), USAF SP's get sent to bases in Afghanistan, I'm sure the USMC guys get sent around too, though like I said I don't know many people who got an MP contract off the bat with the Corps. If you can get K9 school it's a different world though.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

walk into a recruiters office and let them know what you want to do. They will either give you the job you want, or give you a job that is available. Ask lots of questions and think everything through before you commit.

Arty ain't that bad. That being said I wasn't a gun bunny and my time in a firing btry was limited. Oh I was never on a gun line or in FDC.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

USMC Security Forces. You can get embassy duty and see the world.
or not.

Apply for MSG duty if you want Embassy Duty. Security Forces is a whole different gig.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#14]
1. Take the asvab test
2. Take the physical

Until you pass them the rest of the advice is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

walk into a recruiters office and let them know what you want to do. They will either give you the job you want, or give you a job that is available. Ask lots of questions and think everything through before you commit.

Arty ain't that bad. That being said I wasn't a gun bunny and my time in a firing btry was limited. Oh I was never on a gun line or in FDC.

Getting punched in the balls ani't that bad. That being said I wasn't ever in a ball punching match. Oh I have never been punched in the balls.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:46:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Lots of good advice in here.

I would say, above all, take your time.  Talk to recruiters from all of the services.  If you hear something really strange/bad from a recruiter from one service, find another recruiter from that service for a second opinion.  Research.  Think about what you want to be doing in six years and in sixteen years.  Consider how each service's offerings can support those goals.  And above all, good luck to you!
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:48:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Getting punched in the balls ani't that bad. That being said I wasn't ever in a ball punching match. Oh I have never been punched in the balls.

Oh I got punched in the balls plenty. Just not on the gun line.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Getting punched in the balls ain't that bad. That being said I wasn't ever in a ball punching match. Oh I have never been punched in the balls.

Oh I got punched in the balls plenty. Just not on the gun line.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Get ready for a battery of tests.

When I took the Tests way back in '75, several people flunked out after each one.  Only half of us managed to pass all of them. I remember one man who was trying to join so he could become a helicopter pilot.  He flunked out. He was 26.  This was his last chance to get into a promising career after his Service time was up.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#21]
AF Aerial gunner. big enlistment bonus. cool job and your part of Ops group so you get treated like an adult. you'll either be on choppers or AC-130s firing the 105. here are 2 links for job discriptions

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforceenlistedjobs/a/afjob1a7x1.htm
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforceenlistedjobs/a/afjob3p0x1.htm

now matter what you pic after 3 years you can apply for AF office of special investigations.(AFOSI). this is what i wanted to do but didnt make the cut becouse of some trouble in my past. good luck in what ever you choose.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top