BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:33:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amatuer job for sure. A better way to attack this type of safe is ..... (edited for security purposes)
View Quote

Hey nice job AR15fan... why don't you tell everyone how to quickly crack a safe and steal all our guns! Now go back and delete your thread before anyone else sees it! [stick]
View Quote

Not having seen the post by AR15fan, I don't know what he wrote, but breaking into gun safes has been a somewhat commonly discussed topic in the USENET newsgroup rec.guns for years.

The consensus is that gun safes only buy you time against a professional.

There is at least one newsgroup which discusses these things frequently, and I'm sure there are many websites which detail whatever AR15fan posted. . . .  You can delete that one post, but you won't prevent the information from being disseminated elsewhere.  Better that people realize this than that they think they're safe.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:49:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I see the new moderator has an itchy trigger finger.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 2:19:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for all of your advice.

Fortunately, I have a close friend who has a second safe with plenty of room in it for my stuff for awhile.  I have to check out my insurance options and get a locksmith to open it so I can get my stuff out of it.

I have not slept well for the last three nights.

I know the persons who did this.  They are not professionals.  They are spineless twerps.

My closest neighbor has spoken to me and he will be keeping a eye on my place while I'm at work.  (He's retired).

Again, thank all of you for your thoughts, comments, and suggestions.  That's why I chose to be a member of this site.  

[red][size=4]Thanks!![/size=4][/red]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:34:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

And the mods response was uncalled for HOW???

If you see your error and will not repeat, don't worry about it... if you see no problem with what you posted don't expect to be invited to any parties that the members here throw.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:43:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amatuer job for sure. A better way to attack this type of safe is ..... (edited for security purposes)
View Quote

Hey nice job AR15fan... why don't you tell everyone how to quickly crack a safe and steal all our guns! Now go back and delete your thread before anyone else sees it! [stick]
View Quote

Not having seen the post by AR15fan, I don't know what he wrote, but breaking into gun safes has been a somewhat commonly discussed topic in the USENET newsgroup rec.guns for years.

The consensus is that gun safes only buy you time against a professional.

There is at least one newsgroup which discusses these things frequently, and I'm sure there are many websites which detail whatever AR15fan posted. . . .  You can delete that one post, but you won't prevent the information from being disseminated elsewhere.  Better that people realize this than that they think they're safe.
View Quote

Granted, I'm sure detailed instruction on how to break into someones safe are known to several people.  But there is no need to that knowledge any more common than it is already.  

You would not want detailed information on how to break into your house specifically posted on the internet would you?   We do not need to be discussing means of which to break into a safe, and leaving that information up because someone can find it elsewhere or free speech isn't much of an argument.

If theif that hit Gwigg peruses this site, I'm sure GWIGG will feel so much better knowing that AR15FAN told exactly how to steal all his, and most everyone elses guns.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:44:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

And the mods response was uncalled for HOW???

If you see your error and will not repeat, don't worry about it... if you see no problem with what you posted don't expect to be invited to any parties that the members here throw.
View Quote

Agreed!
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

AR15FAN told exactly how to steal all his, and most everyone elses guns.
View Quote

So you would rather not know how safes are "cracked" and just bury your head in the sand and pretend your safe is invincible?

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is one of the silliest things ever written here. I'm supposed to worry about "parties that the memembers throw" when I'm posting here?
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey guys come on its alright.  I got lots of good advice.  Hell I even got a E-mail from someone who called me a dumbass.  I asked for everyones opinion and got it, including AR15fan's.

I personally don't think that someone would try his method in the house anyways.  Too much noise and too much time.  If they removed it, then at that point it wouldn't matter.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#11]
The most common cause for insurance claims are fire-related. The safe was in a structure that caught fire. The most common cause for theft-related insurance claims is theft of the whole safe. Many safe companies cover the deductible of one's homeowners or renters insurance up to a limit. Thoroughly compare manufacturers or association insurance before you buy. They are not all the same.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 2:41:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I contacted Browning, sent them some pics and below is the E-mail they sent back to me.

Thank you for your e-mail.  I am glad that our Morgan Fort safe protected your valuables from theft.

The damage to your safe appears severe, but mostly cosmetic.  A locksmith can open your safe for you.  I would look for a one that is a member of either ALOA or SAFTA, two nationally recognized organizations.  If you would e-mail me the name of the city where you live, I can suggest a locksmith certified by our lock manufacturer, Sargent and Greenleaf.

Browning's warranty covers repair or replacement of the safe in event of a successful break-in.  It appears from the comments on AR15.com that you have wisely maintained an adequate homeowner's insurance policy that will cover your losses in this case.

To repair the damages to your safe, I suggest:

1.      When the locksmith opens the safe, he can install a new lock, dial and dial ring.  He may want to charge you the full retail price for these items.  I will sell you these at my cost to save you some money.

2.      When the locksmith installs the new lock, the handle can be re-installed using a 1" long 5/32 roll pin.  It appears that your handle is still functional and that the shear pin broke as designed when excessive pressure was applied.  If the handle/shaft assembly is damaged beyond use, we can custom make you a new one.

3.      For the cosmetic damage, if you will e-mail me your address, I will send you several bottles of touch-up paint.  The textured paint on the Morgan Fort safes touches up fairly well, although you will still be able to see where the damage was.  If you would like new decals or pin striping, I can also get those for you.

With a new lock, your safe should maintain all of the security of its original condition.  The safe may look a bit "beat-up" but will perform like new.

Thank you for your loyalty to Browning products.  If there is anything I can do to assist you, please e-mail me or call me at (800) 234-2069 ext. 235.

Best Wishes,
View Quote

I have decided to purchase another safe instead of accepting this one as repaired.  I want a bigger one anyway.

My homeowners will cover the repair or replacement of my current safe.  So If it's repaired I will sell it.  I have not got it opened yet.  Am waiting for the locksmith to come and do it.  Probably will happen this afternoon.

Let this be a testament to the durability of Browning safes and also a lesson learned for those of you who do not own a safe.  (I might have one for sale)[:D]
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 3:18:27 AM EDT
[#13]
If you don't need the money from the sale of a safe, you can always keep that it as a secondary safe.  

Keep your important papers in the old safe. (this will free up room in your new bigger safe)
Keep magazines and other odds and ends in here (more room for just guns in your new safe)
Keep reloading supplies, tools etc in here.  Maybe some of the cheaper guns like 22lr's etc.

Link Posted: 11/8/2001 3:41:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Geez Gwigg.

You ARE a dumbass !

You blew it.

This was your opportunity to collect the insurance money and move to NJ where you wouldn't have to worry about the potential theft of guns.  

They don't allow 'em up here !  [:D]

Seriously though..  I am really glad that everything worked out so far.

BUT...

KEEP ALERT -- those bastards may come back.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top