Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

What do you guys think of the Kershaw Avalanche?

http://www.kershawknivesdirect.com/images/Avalanche_K1570.jpg

I'm diggin' it...

ETA: Bought it.  Damn you Arfcom GD and my weak will!

Has been my everyday carry knife for almost two years.  Best knife for the money you can get IMHO.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
What do you guys think of the Kershaw Avalanche?

http://www.kershawknivesdirect.com/images/Avalanche_K1570.jpg

I'm diggin' it...

ETA: Bought it.  Damn you Arfcom GD and my weak will!

Has been my everyday carry knife for almost two years.  Best knife for the money you can get IMHO.

VINDICATION!  
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#3]
sog flash 2

sog has a true lifetime warranty and great customer service. i have had mine for a lil over 2 years now and the knife has been great holds an edge nicely,

and can keep up with almost daily abuse i put it through, have cut rope cardboard leather seatbelts and even cleaned some deer and rabbits with it. the only problem i have ever had was i broke the

pocket clip but i called sog and they mailed me a new clip right out for free.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm not really focused on a specific lock type,  but easy one-handed operation, both opening and closing, should be very easy,
switchblade easy.  

http://images.gerbertools.com/Md/1058_1/05842_Gerber_AR_300_Series_Clip_Point_Fine_Edge.jpg

This is the one I had before.  A Gerber.  After break-in,  operation was stupid fast.   I liked it but the stainless blade didn't hold an edge worth a damn.

CJ

Get a knife with good stainless and it will hold an edge, sharpen with ease and resist corrosion.

There are any number of excellent folders with quick action (both assisted and unassisted) out of the box, good edge retention, sturdy lockup and at a price below $100.

My EDC is a Kershaw Shallot 1840 assisted opener with a Clip Point blade of 13C26 Stainless Steel in plain blade edge. Handle is constructed of 410 Stainless Steel with a frame lock.

Vid of opening
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Griptilian is stainless.  Out of the running.

Also, no serrations or hooks or other stupid blade tricks.   I hate those.  Just a smooth edge full length.

CJ

Cabelas sells a D2 Griptilian (it's exclusive to them).  It has a black coating though and is a little more than you are talking about - about $100.

I've carried a stainless mini-grip for years and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#6]
The Kershaw Leek is awesome.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I liked it but the stainless blade didn't hold an edge worth a damn.
CJ

You're missing the point. The knife didn't hold an edge because the steel was low quality, not because it was stainless. Current high quality stainless steels show excellent edge retention and toughness characteristics.

Plus, you're not going to find a production knife with a carbon steel blade with the rest of your requirements and price level.

I would recommend anything from Spyderco, Benchmade or Kershaw. All good companies that use good steel in their knives.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]
A D2 Griptillian is about as close as you're gonna get in your price range.  I guess you could get an Opinel and put a stud on it, I think those are 1075, but the lock is pretty stupid.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked up a couple of Kershaw Ken Onion Leek knives for Xmas, gave one to a sister, kept the other.  Been a great little knife.  Assisted opening too.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top