Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got your back BlackDog714.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Are you guys out of your mind?  Of course bullets can curve.  Imaginge a B-17 firing from its side gun at 90 degrees and moving at 250 mph.  You'll see three forces acting on the bullet.  The explosion in the shell, moving it 90 degrees to the plane, the motion of the plane, moving it forward (in the same direction as the plane), and third, gravity, pulling it down.  Well if that bullet isnt curving, I dont know what is.

In that movie, they were "whipping" bullets around corners.  Now that, can not be done.  Were they trying to whip bullets around a corner?

Only one force, gravity, will cause the bullet to curve.  The two other forces, the explosion of the powder and the forward motion of the airplane, are vectors, which, when combined, simply create a new straight-line path.

Now it's possible that the air will cause it to curve a little bit, since the bullet will be traveling through the air somewhat sideways, but that's not going to curve it much.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#3]
yea.... but will a bullet on a treadmill take off????
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And what if it's in space, where there's no air to support the combustion of the powder?

Someone should try that - fire a gun in space while on a treadmill.  I think it would create a rip in spacetime and connect us with a faraway universe!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

One word : Magnet

True, but it would be such a tiny difference it's completely insignificant.

As for Mythbusters in general, one should listen to the wisdom of Feynman, even if he's dead:

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what if it's in space, where there's no air to support the combustion of the powder?

Someone should try that - fire a gun in space while on a treadmill.  I think it would create a rip in spacetime and connect us with a faraway universe!

If a cartridge is air tight and the bullet creates pressure inside the case when it is seated, will the case rupture in zero atmosphere?

Legitimate question
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They all curve.  It is called gravity.

So true
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If a cartridge is air tight and the bullet creates pressure inside the case when it is seated, will the case rupture in zero atmosphere?

Legitimate question

Take atmospheric pressure and compare it to the maximum pressure of the case - which for 5.56 is well north of 65,000psi. pretty high. I actually don't know how high. But it is way higher than 14 pounds per square inch.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I do believe that Mythbusters did do that as well, but it took quite a few super powerful magnets to do it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you guys out of your mind?  Of course bullets can curve.  Imaginge a B-17 firing from its side gun at 90 degrees and moving at 250 mph.  You'll see three forces acting on the bullet.  The explosion in the shell, moving it 90 degrees to the plane, the motion of the plane, moving it forward (in the same direction as the plane), and third, gravity, pulling it down.  Well if that bullet isnt curving, I dont know what is.

In that movie, they were "whipping" bullets around corners.  Now that, can not be done.  Were they trying to whip bullets around a corner?

Only one force, gravity, will cause the bullet to curve.  The two other forces, the explosion of the powder and the forward motion of the airplane, are vectors, which, when combined, simply create a new straight-line path.

Now it's possible that the air will cause it to curve a little bit, since the bullet will be traveling through the air somewhat sideways, but that's not going to curve it much.

Wrong.  It can't curve with just one force.  Take a slug and drop it.  You'll see gravity pull it STRAIGHT down.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legitimate question

Nope, a 30 cal. bullet will only have one single pound of pressure pushing on the bullet from inside if you brought it into a vacuum.  You can pull a bullet with your fingers with many pounds of force, and the bullet doesn't pop out.

Also, of course gunpowder carries its fuel and oxidizer together, so it'll fire just fine in space.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.  It can't curve with just one force.  Take a slug and drop it.  You'll see gravity pull it STRAIGHT down.

Curve = acceleration.  The bullet will accelerate due to the SINGLE but CONSTANT force of gravity.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've long ago given up on arguing with the terminally stupid. It's a much more effective strategy to encourage them-increases the chances they'll select themselves out of the gene pool in a spectacular fashion...

I like the way you think and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Calling people names is your tactic to convey your points?

It's probably more of a release, and by calling people names, when they obviously deserve them, it hopefully wards of similarly stupid people from making comments.

As someone pointed out, it's pointless to actually argue with stupid people. At some point you have to try to suppress the stupidity.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's not curving. It's following a predictable ballistic trajectory.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The powder carries everything it needs for combustion with it
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, the brains are flowing tonight.  Lets see what webster's says

trajectory
One entry found.

Main Entry: tra·jec·to·ry  
Pronunciation: \trə-ˈjek-t(ə-)rē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural tra·jec·to·ries
Etymology: New Latin trajectoria, from feminine of trajectorius of passing, from Latin traicere to cause to cross, cross, from trans-, tra- trans- + jacere to throw — more at jet
Date: 1696
1 : the curve that a body (as a planet or comet in its orbit or a rocket) describes in space
2 : a path, progression, or line of development resembling a physical trajectory <an upward career trajectory>

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, a straight line in the horizontal plane. The bullet will have a sideways velocity in the direction of the planes travel.

However, back to the original question, one could argue that the super assassin in that movie is not making the bullet CURVE, but is just adding a sideways component to the bullet's velocity, so it hits to the side of the original point of aim.

The reality is that no man, or super assassin could put enough sideways velocity on the bullet to make a difference.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

trajectory

One entry found.

Pronunciation: \tr&#601;-&#712;jek-t(&#601;-)r&#275;\

Etymology: New Latin trajectoria, from feminine of trajectorius of passing, from Latin traicere to cause to cross, cross, from trans-, tra- trans- + jacere to throw — more at jet

1 : the curve that a body (as a planet or comet in its orbit or a rocket) describes in space

2 : a path, progression, or line of development resembling a physical trajectory <an upward career trajectory>

Just stop. (that is friendly advice)

anyway, what kind of dictionary uses the word being defined in the definition?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, a straight line in the horizontal plane. The bullet will have a sideways velocity in the direction of the planes travel.

However, back to the original question, one could argue that the super assassin in that movie is not making the bullet CURVE, but is just adding a sideways component to the bullet's velocity, so it hits to the side of the original point of aim.

The reality is that no man, or super assassin could put enough sideways velocity on the bullet to make a difference.

Have you seen the movie, the bullets are clearly curving. As evidenced by the many scenes up close of bullets in flight curving around things.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Physics fail, and reading comprehension fail. He said one of the forces you listed will result in curve and that is gravity. If there is any movement when you drop that bullet it will travel in an arc.

The other two forces are one time forces and vectors. You fire the gun out the side of the plane and the forward movement is added to the muzzle velocity resulting in a diagonal flight path. If you fired the bullet straight forward the speed of the plane is added to the speed of the bullet. If you fired the gun straight backwards the speed of the plane is subtracted from the speed of the bullet. If the plane could fly at the muzzle velocity and you fired backwards the bullet would fall straight to the ground.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Three words: Non-Ferrous Metal.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
For calling people a dumbass for believing that you can curve a bullet....

Seriously, how do these people function?

The Mythbusters tested the curving bullet myth from the movie Wanted and there are actually people that believe that it can be done.

A bullet can be curved!

It happens every single time one is fired....

The gravitational pull of the earth curves the trajectory of the bullet....duh...

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you used a round ball, like from a musket, and were able to impart enough spin on it, could you get the bullet to follow a path similar to a pitcher in baseball throwing a curveball?  You'd never be able to shoot straight with it, but would it not technically curve the bullet?

Some SciFi book I read when I was a kid used a similar idea.  The guns were electro-magnetic & used round shot (IIRC antimatter or some such).  By fiddling with the controls the shooter could put some "english" on the ball to curve it around cover like a billard ball.  Normal fast & furious shooting it'd shoot straight, the fancy stuff requiring a bit of time to set-up the amount of backspin, range, etc.  Somewhat like the computerized grenades used by the OICW, way too much fiddl'n involved IMHO.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#26]
You can slice and hook a golf ball...why not a bullet?

I'M JOKING!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:48:32 PM EDT
[#27]
3 forces. inertia, drag, and gravity.
in 2 planes. inertia and drag in one plane, and gravity in another. windage is the third plane, for 3 dimensions; but outside this discussion.

if you had an etch-a-sketch, and you turned one knob at a constant speed (representing gravity), and the other knob at a diminishing speed (representing inertia being acted upon by drag)...
the result would be a curved line.

there, cleared out some cobwebs.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I can do it.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

For calling people a dumbass for believing that you can curve a bullet....

Seriously, how do these people function?

The Mythbusters tested the curving bullet myth from the movie Wanted and there are actually people that believe that it can be done.
That's what you post here.

And here's your first post in that thread:

Quoted:

There would be no curve even if you went to all that trouble to ignore the myth parameters.  

Read Newton's Laws.

Oh, BTW with what you described, you won't curve the bullet. It might take a trajectory away from the point of aim, but it would be in a straight line.

Quoted:

The good news is that you can track a supersonic bullet (so keep velocity in mind) pretty easily due to the shock wave being visible through a rifle scope (this is how snipers keep track of their bullets).

Obviously with a statement like that you know nothing of ballistics and that all of your "knowledge" has come from movies and video games...  Try the real world, it's pretty out here ;)

But by the end you post this:

Quoted:

I'm not saying that you couldn't get a sphere to alter course. I'm saying that has nothing to do with the myth.

Myth was with modern firearms, modern bullets and modern ballistics. Modern stuff, NO CURVE. MYTH BUSTED.

So....you were about to get banned calling people dumbasses when you weren't even correct yourself. Right?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You idiots don't know shit.

Back when I was a Space Shuttle Door Gunner, we would use the Sun's gravity to curve bullets and take out targets that we couldn't even see.  It was tricky.  Too close and the bullet gets sucked in by gravity, too far away and it goes flying off into space.  Only SSDGs who were chief petty warrant sergeants and above, like myself, were allowed to do it.

What do you know?

I was the tail gunner on the Saturn V.  Them bullitz went straight down.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#31]
phsics 101 bullet will not "curve", except from gravity which imparts a constant acceleration.  /thread
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BTW, you are incorrect in your first post of that thread. Everything he originally posted is correct. The spin wouldn't be as much as in the movie, but it would be present. I suggest you educate yourself on the Magnus effect.

Looks like bullets only curve up or down...

In external ballistics
The Magnus effect can also be found in advanced external ballistics. Firstly, a spinning bullet in flight is often subject to a crosswind, which can be simplified as blowing either from the left or the right. In addition to this, even in completely calm air a bullet experiences a small sideways wind component due to its yawing motion. This yawing motion along the bullet's flight path means that the nose of the bullet is pointing in a slightly different direction from the direction in which the bullet is traveling. In other words, the bullet is "skidding" sideways at any given moment, and thus it experiences a small sideways wind component in addition to any crosswind component. (yaw of repose)

The combined sideways wind component of these two effects causes a Magnus force to act on the bullet, which is perpendicular both to the direction the bullet is pointing and the combined sideways wind. In a very simple case where we ignore various complicating factors, the Magnus force from the crosswind would cause an upward or downward force to act on the spinning bullet (depending on the left or right wind and rotation), causing an observable deflection in the bullet's flight path up or down, thus changing the point of impact.

Overall, the effect of the Magnus force on a bullet's flight path itself is usually insignificant compared to other forces such as aerodynamic drag. However, it greatly affects the bullet's stability, which in turn effects the amount of drag, how the bullet behaves upon impact, and many other factors. The stability of the bullet is impacted because the Magnus effect acts on the bullet's center of pressure instead of its center of gravity. This means that it affects the yaw angle of the bullet: it tends to twist the bullet along its flight path, either towards the axis of flight (decreasing the yaw thus stabilizing the bullet) or away from the axis of flight (increasing the yaw thus destabilizing the bullet). The critical factor is the location of the center of pressure, which depends on the flowfield structure, which in turn depends mainly on the bullet's speed (supersonic or subsonic), but also the shape, air density and surface features. If the center of pressure is ahead of the center of gravity, the effect is destabilizing, if the center of pressure is behind the center of gravity, the effect is stabilizing.

but but in the movie he turned the gun sideways.  That makes the bullet curve sideways too, instead of up and down.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Isn't the bullet curving when it leaves the bore, rises above the centerline, and then starts coming back down again?

Hax
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
phsics 101 bullet will not "curve", except from gravity which imparts a constant acceleration.  /thread

Spelling 3rd grade, physics has a "y" in it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

IIRC - they did that already - and it didn't work.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

umm.....three words..non-ferrous metal

crap..beaten to the punch
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

3 forces. inertia, drag, and gravity.

Inertia isn't a force, it's a property of an object.

F=m*a man.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Tangents are scary

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:54:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

trajectory
One entry found.

Pronunciation: \trə-ˈjek-t(ə-)rē\

Do you understand what we are talking about here? We're not talking about the ballistic arc of the bullet imparted upon it by gravity and drag. We're talking about introducing another force to the bullet to get it to curve AROUND an object. Surely you've seen the previews for the movie where the shooter is standing in front of a person and gets his bullet to curve around said person to hit a target?
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 1:09:01 AM EDT
[#40]
If we were talking about ball muskets, it may be possible to design the barrels to impart enough spin to cause the ball to curve.

Hell, straight barreled ball muskets shoot crazy anyways, it is pretty unpredictible.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 1:18:36 AM EDT
[#41]
I't may be an over simplification but in fact you can curve a bullet. here is a link, scroll down to external ballistics, projectile drift. When I was learning to fly AH-1 Cobras they teach you about it. The fire control computer takes care of it as long as it's working but they teach you about it in case the FCC goes out. Enjoy the read. Beacause knowledge is power, knowing is half the battle, etc

Ballistics
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 2:33:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
IIRC the Germans had a device for curving bullets.

You recall wrongly.

No, he's right. They experimented with an MP44 with a bent barrel to curve bullets around corners. I think the Russians did something similar as well.

As I recall, the barrel curved to the left, I suppose one held it upside down for right hand corners, ghetto style for basements.

Jane

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:54:16 AM EDT
[#43]
schizrade - I like that avitar!
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 6:21:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You don't dope for windage?
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 6:23:01 AM EDT
[#45]
I would rather they test ridiculous things like this than testing "myths" based on actual events that they already have corroborating evidence for, or that they should already know based on their careers as special fx guys.

I still think they should split the show up. Grant and Jaimie with a Mr. Wizard type show, Adam and Tory with a "blowing stuff up" show. Kari can continue being the rapidly aging dumpy girl who surrounds herself with fawning nerds, pigtails, and the same Hot Topic shirt in a desperate attempt to remain cute and relevant.

I also think they should also build an exploding collar on Adam that activates at the slightest hint of any terrible attempt at an accent.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 6:36:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
IIRC the Germans had a device for curving bullets.

You recall wrongly.

He recalled correctly.

There was a gun that had its barrel bent at about 90 degrees.  It didn't last long of course, but the gun did indeed shoot around corners.  The bullets always flew straight after leaving the barrel, dropping obviously for gravity, but it did work.  Then the barrel went *boom*

i believe there was a corner-shooting adapter made for the M1 carbine as well, that was issued in limited numbers. it snapped around the FSB and had a 15 or 20 angle to it (between muzzle and end of adaptor).
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 6:39:42 AM EDT
[#47]
I got banned from there a long time ago. Some guy thought that you could load a dead goldfish into a shotgun and shoot it through a wall. Another thought that shooting a transformer will cause the electricity to travel down the ionized path of the bullet and kill you. Yet another thought that a .50 BMG will kill you even if it missed you just from the shockwave. Countless bought into the curving a bullet BS.

I had a migraine for weeks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You can slice and hook a golf ball...why not a bullet?

I'M JOKING!

I'm pretty sure I had some bullets slicing after I had some baffle and end cap strikes on a suppressor and the bullets came out spinning in two different axes.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If we were talking about ball muskets, it may be possible to design the barrels to impart enough spin to cause the ball to curve.

Hell, straight barreled ball muskets shoot crazy anyways, it is pretty unpredictible.

Yup. Ever mess around with paintball guns? The projectiles fly slowly enough to easily observe. Many (if not all) paintball guns have smooth-bore barrels –– no rifling –– so they shoot a little crazy as you say. However, if your barrel isn't clean (e.g., you had a paintball break in it and it left a film of paint) it REALLY goes crazy. It's like a spitball. Sometimes you can hit someone even if they're hiding behind a tree. It would be interesting to see if you could control it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#50]
I think what is WAY cool is the gun that can shoot around corners. Saw it on Future Weapons.

The Corner Shot is a gun that shoots around corners. Models start around $5,000.

The Corner Shot consists of a segmented, assault rifle-type folding stock, pistol-grip contraption, onto which is attached a pistol of choice and a compact, detachable color video camera. A lateral left and right swinging hinge mechanism and a remote trigger control allow the user to drop the hammer on targets from behind the safety and comfort of any right-angled structure.

They also make the unit in assault rifle and "personal" grenade launcher versions. Which is news to my ears, because I've been looking for an "around the corner" grenade launcher for sometime. Of course I'm going to have to modify the unit to shoot cheeseburgers. That way I can feed my wife from the hallway without fear of losing an arm.

UPDATE: A video of a "kitty corner shot" added after the jump, which is a stuffed cat on the end of a corner shot gun. Thanks to ck for the tip.

Video of the Israeli police force putting the thing to use after the friendly fire.

http://www.geekologie.com/2007/12/corner_shot_gun_shoots_around.php
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top