User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.mtv.co.uk/files/imagecache/gallery_wide/2009/10/08/Picture+9.png

Attention whore.
Before she got the sex change she was on an mtv dating show.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Serious Business
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I don't have a boner with Paglia's name on it, but I like what she says about Gaga. Tru dat.

Good thing, Dr. Paglia is a lesbian.  I have read some of what she has written over the years, and I have come to have a somewhat

reluctant respect for her intellectual processes.  She is not an intellectual lightweight.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Lady Gag Ya.........what a fucking crone .......send her to the mideast and climb a mountain or something
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#6]
That article was probably written by a slightly overweight woman with large glasses, greasy hair, a cat collection, and at least two degrees in something like "Advanced English Studies" or "Women's Heritage" or somesuch BS.

What was it Freud said?  Sometimes a sparkler bra is just a sparkler bra?  Talk about overthinking things, wow...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]

She looked better before she got run through the  music industry glam-o-matic pop-star machine.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
He's a very talented young man

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#9]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mfPkU_UJu0
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:47:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
AWWW Pagila gots the butthurt

ETA to ADD:
Gaga gratuitously natters on about her vagina…This is so fucking rich. From the people that brought us the Zipless encounter, anonymous sex, androgynous sex, and taught generations of women to disrespect those that chose motherhood/traditional values. What a fucking hypocrite. This is the end result of a fast food sex nation. Love it sweetheart. You created it and profited by it.

I don't particularly care for either of them but the reasons for her critism are highly subjective and really make no sense. Of course she is going to have highly scripted appearances! Just like the musicians she claims gaga is trying to emulate. Who says she doen't appear in public incognito as well?!  

Here is an example of a quote that makes no sense at all:
Going off to the gym in broad daylight, as Gaga recently did, dressed in a black bustier, fishnet stockings and stiletto heels isn’t sexy – it’s sexually dysfunctional.

So gaga's fuck me pumps is differant than amy winehouses fuck me pumps?!?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:49:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
These things never change.  I remember and article called "Inventing Eddie Vedder" in Rolling Stone back in '96 or so that refuted some of Eddie Vedder's claims of his tortured upbringing. It turns out he had it pretty good, was voted most popular or something like that in high school and was as active in sports, i.e a jock. In the early 90's that was exactly what a musician didn't want to be especially after Nirvana became huge over night and laid waste to the notion of being popular was cool.

There are always people that will try to be something they are not to gain fame andI love it when they are exposed for the fakes they are.

So has gaga put out the pretense that she grew up poor?!?  That's seems to be what paglia is projecting but I don't see that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:50:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Paglia is too stupid to realize by publishing this article she is advertising for Lady Gaga.

Not at all, Paglia's speciality is cultural criticism, what else is she supposed to do?

I got a laugh out of it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:51:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Didn't read that shit, but isn't that freak a dude?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:51:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Holy overthinking Batman!  

Gaga is popular because she has fun, catchy tunes that play well in a club.  Period.  Yeah, she's a little weird, but that's to be expected from MTV types.  But my God, whining that the current generation can't understand the genius of a Janice Joplin?  Seriously?  I'm guessing the author is a pretentious boomer with an overly inflated opinion of her own pop culture.  Protip, the 60s only meant something to those living in the 60s.  The rest of us don't care and are sick of hearing about how awesome you think you are.  

/thread/

The column is merely projecting paglias interpretation of what gaga should be or do and then critisizing it. The whole article is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:52:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
She's no Wendy O Williams.

You're right.
It wouldn't know what to do with a chin saw.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Iron Maiden Fucking Rules!

This !!!

Doesn't their music sound like the Scorpions?

Blasphemy!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:56:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I wonder if this old man knows who paglia is?

old man dances to poker face
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:03:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
She's no Wendy O Williams.

LOL. Wendy O would kick Gaga's ass and then rape her.

With a chainsaw.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:04:02 AM EDT
[#19]
As much as Paglia admires Madonna, she is the one who started all of this nonsense.

Give me a Debbie Harry, Exene Cervenka or Wendy O Williams any day.  They had real talent.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:08:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Like her or not, she is a success.
Not only is she a success, she has worked her ass off to get where she is. AND she recognizes that the fans are the people who put her there. She knows that when people stop showing up to her concerts, buying her CDs and watching her videos, she's done for.  They love the outrageousness she's famous for, so she gives them what they want.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy overthinking Batman!  

Gaga is popular because she has fun, catchy tunes that play well in a club.  Period.  Yeah, she's a little weird, but that's to be expected from MTV types.  But my God, whining that the current generation can't understand the genius of a Janice Joplin?  Seriously?  I'm guessing the author is a pretentious boomer with an overly inflated opinion of her own pop culture.  Protip, the 60s only meant something to those living in the 60s.  The rest of us don't care and are sick of hearing about how awesome you think you are.  

That doesn't explain the cult like following she has among 16-25 yr old women. There's more than just catchy tunes at play there.

Her fans are no more "cult like" than the fans of any other "flavor of the month" pop star.

Talk about "reading way too much into it".

"Lady Gaga" is a character played by a young girl from NYC.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AWWW Pagila gots the butthurt

ETA to ADD:

Gaga gratuitously natters on about her vagina…This is so fucking rich. From the people that brought us the Zipless encounter, anonymous sex, androgynous sex, and taught generations of women to disrespect those that chose motherhood/traditional values. What a fucking hypocrite. This is the end result of a fast food sex nation. Love it sweetheart. You created it and profited by it.

I don't particularly care for either of them but the reasons for her critism are highly subjective and really make no sense. Of course she is going to have highly scripted appearances! Just like the musicians she claims gaga is trying to emulate. Who says she doen't appear in public incognito as well?!  

Here is an example of a quote that makes no sense at all:

Going off to the gym in broad daylight, as Gaga recently did, dressed in a black bustier, fishnet stockings and stiletto heels isn’t sexy – it’s sexually dysfunctional.

So gaga's fuck me pumps is differant than amy winehouses fuck me pumps?!?

Using winehouse as a standard for non-dysfunction?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:46:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't read that shit, but isn't that freak a dude?

Don't want to hot link it cause it shows what appears to be her penis, so go to YouTube and search for gaga man 1:14 It should be the first video found with that criteria.

You be the Judge.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:49:14 AM EDT
[#24]
She manufactured a persona that brings in millions upon millions of dollars.

Capitalism at work. She's laughing all the way to the bank.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Lady Gaga is ugly as hell, and she is just a copycat of Madonna.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:52:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

And Madonna didn't have an original bone in her body.

She just copied whatever was popular in the gay clubs at the time.

(My gay friends would kill me if they read that... but it's true.)
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Once you understand the author, you understand the article.

Paglia is an avowed atheist who respects religion and a classicist interested in both high culture and low culture.  Paglia asserts that human nature has an inherently dangerous Dionysian aspect, especially in regard to human sexuality.  She favors a curriculum grounded in comparative religion, art history and the literary canon, with an emphasis on facts in the teaching of history.  She came to public attention in 1990, with the publication of her first book, Sexual Personae: Art and Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily Dickinson.  Her notoriety as the author of this book made it possible for her to write on popular culture and feminism in mainstream newspapers and magazines. Paglia has challenged what she calls the "liberal establishment", including academia, feminist advocacy groups such as the National Organization for Women (NOW), and AIDS activists ACT UP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camille_Paglia

Basically she's a career academic in a completely useless field of study.  If she said "Gaga is popular because she has catchy club tunes" no one would read her article.  So she makes up some nonsense about how this has some deep, metaphysical meaning so she can pretend that her career is worth a shit.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This !!!

Doesn't their music sound like the Scorpions?

Yous trollin

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And Madonna didn't have an original bone in her body.

She just copied whatever was popular in the gay clubs at the time.

(My gay friends would kill me if they read that... but it's true.)

I didn't know that.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This !!!

This thread needs more Eddie

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Talk about "reading way too much into it".

That's the norm around here, and then bent out of shape

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#32]
...and why do I have to care either way....

I bet most of the Arfcom would have sex with her just to say she was a lousy lay.

Seriously: I strongly believe most of her critics here either listen to her when ever they have a chance, or watch her music video's on YouTube.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That article was probably written by a slightly overweight woman with large glasses, greasy hair, a cat collection, and at least two degrees in something like "Advanced English Studies" or "Women's Heritage" or somesuch BS.

Close
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Slaanesh at work.....

NEEERRRD!

Well, I am halfway through "Fulgrim," by Graham McNeill, as I type this.....

Take one to know o... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD' BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#35]

She's just channeling Liberace who channeled Philadelphia Mummers

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

As much as Paglia admires Madonna, she is the one who started all of this nonsense.

Give me a Debbie Harry, Exene Cervenka or Wendy O Williams any day. They had real talent.

I've listened to X more than anything lately, and I routinely hum Plasmatics songs, but I wouldn't call Exene or Wendy talented. Their appeal seems like just a personal style. Debbie is a different story, I think she had some talent.

The music of your youth gets grandfathered into our adult tastes, as many on this thread have said.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Up the irons!

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give me a Debbie Harry, Exene Cervenka or Wendy O Williams any day. They had real talent.

I've listened to X more than anything lately, and I routinely hum Plasmatics songs, but I wouldn't call Exene or WOW talented. Their appeal seems like just a personal style. Debbie is a different story, I think she had some talent.

The music of your youth gets grandfathered into our adult tastes, as many on this thread have said.

Sorry, screwup.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top