User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#1]
It DOES appear to have a bit of recoil

Quoted:

I thought I read somewhere that the recoil was so strong on .950 that the human body cannot endure it without causing injury.

Link Posted: 1/13/2012 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I thought I read somewhere that the recoil was so strong on .950 that the human body cannot endure it without causing injury.

Like I said above, one guy who claimed to have fired it(an ebay seller with dummy rounds several years ago) said the recoil has been known to knock shooters unconscious. The guys in the video look to have done OK, but who knows with other shooters?
ETA-I have also read claims that the recoil of a .700 Nitro Express can cause you brain to bounce around inside your skull. Big guns cause big claims.
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Destructive device?
There are exceptions for "sporting calibers" over .50

Pretty sure this rifle has not been exempted by the Attorney General or BATFE. It would be impossible to prove you are going to "soley" use it for sporting, recreational or cultural purposes.
The term "destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684 (2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10; or any other device which the Attorney General finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, is an antique, or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting, recreational or cultural purposes.

I can't find a list right now, but .950JDJ is exempted along with .577TREX, .600NE, .700NE, etc.  I have no idea what they use to make the distinction.

If you can find it and post it, that would be nice. Thanks

As far as I can tell, if it's a >.50 caliber round used by a military (whether currently or in the past) then they consider it non-sporting.  But I've never seen any indication that the ATF has ever rejected a request for a sporting purposes exemption for a wildcat >.50 round.
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Destructive device?

Pretty sure this rifle has not been exempted by the Attorney General or BATFE. It would be impossible to prove you are going to "soley" use it for sporting, recreational or cultural purposes.
The term "destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684 (2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10; or any other device which the Attorney General finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, is an antique, or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting, recreational or cultural purposes.

I can't find a list right now, but .950JDJ is exempted along with .577TREX, .600NE, .700NE, etc.  I have no idea what they use to make the distinction.

As far as I can tell, if it's a >.50 caliber round used by a military (whether currently or in the past) then they consider it non-sporting.  But I've never seen any indication that the ATF has ever rejected a request for a sporting purposes exemption for a wildcat >.50 round.

I'll talk to hubel458 on nitroexpress.com(he may be a member here too, I'm not sure). He designed the 12 gauge from hell and a couple other really big rounds, and got a sporting exemption for them. He could detail the proces. I'll check in over there and ask him to shime in.
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said above, one guy who claimed to have fired it(an ebay seller with dummy rounds several years ago) said the recoil has been known to knock shooters unconscious. The guys in the video look to have done OK, but who knows with other shooters?

ETA-I have also read claims that the recoil of a .700 Nitro Express can cause you brain to bounce around inside your skull. Big guns cause big claims.

Wouldn't surprise me. Especially since they've done studies that show student athletes playing football, even minor hits can cause that to happen.

Link Posted: 1/13/2012 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't surprise me. Especially since they've done studies that show student athletes playing football, even minor hits can cause that to happen.

It is also highly dependent on HOW you shoot the gun, shooting it standing or sitting with no back support like you would be when shooting the mega bore rifles in Africa is going to "push" you back attenuating a lot of the recoil, when shooting it prone or off a bench that same force comes back but if it can't push you back so it transfers all the energy in to your body.

Its like swatting a balloon in the air vs. hitting when it is against a wall, when it is in the air the energy transfers in to movement, when it is against the wall the energy is transferred in to the balloon, popping it. (it is an overtly and probably improper example but I am sticking to it.)
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 2:00:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 2:36:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Destructive device?

I'll talk to hubel458 on nitroexpress.com(he may be a member here too, I'm not sure). He designed the 12 gauge from hell and a couple other really big rounds, and got a sporting exemption for them. He could detail the proces. I'll check in over there and ask him to shime in.

hes a member here and has a 30 or so page thread in the armory section
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Got a response from Ed about the sporting use exemption for big bores, here's what he said
"Shotgun calibers are exempt from DD rules in the law,
IE it must be shotgun style case with the standard base size
for that gauge, straight sides .
Any length ok as long as straight to be sporting.
You CAN'T take 40mm necked down to 12ga and get automatic
exemption, it isn't shotgun style of a case.
Paper, brass, plastic, plastic or paper with metal
basecup, aluminum, steel, etc ok.

For rifle cases over 50cal the old ones before 86 are
grandfathered in, and new ones you apply to the
ATF Tech Branch for sporting use exemption. JDJ,
AHR,myself and others have done this. I did it for my 700s
and 585s. To apply you send sketch of case with dimensions
saying it is to be used for sporting uses, such as target
and hunting, and will be used in break actions, falling
blocks, bolt actions, lever actions and similiar actions.
And they will approve it for sporting use.Ed "
Looks like a pretty simple thing for someone with the skills to design something both big and new.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#10]
oops
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I wouldn't want to be within 25 feet of that thing when it's fired.

That video just makes me beam with "I love America'!  
What does its suppressor look like?

Give it a week and Red Jacket will make one for it.

They will do it on an AR platform to boot!
Game Changer!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top