BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've never heard of shingles presenting with cardiac symptoms. What were his symptoms and how did they determine his cardiac problems were correlated with or caused by his shingles?
View Quote

Here is a thought, shingles, kind of feel like someone/something, grabbed an organ from the inside (liver, heart, whatever), and twisted it like you were ringing out a wet washrag.

No fun.

Pray you do not end up with postherpetic neuralgia (PHN), a form of neuropathic pain that can last for months or years, even after the virus is no longer active.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Got shingles when I was around 30.  It sucked.  The dr gave me a big bottle of vicodin though so that helped.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just wondering, I don't think that I had chickenpox as a kid, what happens if you get the shingles shot? Can it give you chicken pox or shingles eventually?
To the best of my knowledge I did not have chicken pox growing up, I had measles, German Measles, mumps on both sides. But unless one of the measles was misdiagnosed, no chicken pox.
View Quote

You really need to talk to your doctor about getting the vaccine.  I'm not a doctor, but from what I understand, getting the chicken pox (basically catching the varicella-zoster virus for the first time) as an adult is bad news.  Potentially much worse than a re-appearance of the virus (shingles).
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#4]
About three years ago, I had shingles in my armpit and down my arm and across my shoulder to my neck.  I have permanent nerve damage and constant pain in my arm and shoulder. I cant turn my head completely to the right.  When its bad, it throbs like a broken bone.  When is not bad, it feels like you just had an intense workout at the gym.  It never goes away.

That said, I had another breakout about a year ago. Doctor then recommended the shot.  I got the shot and haven't had another breakout.

So, yes, you can have shingles more than once.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I developed Shingles back in July at 47, on top of having two torn/herniated discs and spinal cord injury at L5/L6, L6/S1, felt like somebody was blow torching my side and back and that was with pain meds on board for the torn discs.  I wouldn't wish shingles upon my almost worst enemy. Took almost 7 weeks to get rid of. Pics taken by ER staff:

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Obviously, because shingles are on the roof.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You have no grounds to sue

Obviously, because shingles are on the roof.

The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You probably got it from a public bathroom toilet seat. Should've used the paper cover thingy.
View Quote

You mean the Ass Gasket ?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just wondering, I don't think that I had chickenpox as a kid, what happens if you get the shingles shot? Can it give you chicken pox or shingles eventually?
To the best of my knowledge I did not have chicken pox growing up, I had measles, German Measles, mumps on both sides. But unless one of the measles was misdiagnosed, no chicken pox.
View Quote
The good news is you have to have chickenpox first to get the shingles; it's a recurrent chickenpox infection.  In about 1/3 of the population the virus integrates into your nerve cell DNA and can "come out" when you are stressed, or sick, or otherwise immunocompromised.  The vaccine merely stimulates your immune response to help keep the virus in check if it ever reactivates.

The bad news is if you haven't ever had chickenpox or the vaccine, then if you do get the chickenpox virus as an adult it's usually much worse than having the shingles.  Probably should see your doctor about getting the primary vaccine.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#9]
OP I hadon't shingles about 2 years ago. I got a flu shot and got them on that shoulder that evening.  Took the Valtrex and asteroid creme. Also, I put apple cider vinegar on it for 20 min every 2-3 hours and it clear it up fast to where it was nearly gone in 2 weeks.

Yes you will smell like vinegar but I swear it helped clear it up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:57:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm currently on Gabapentin for nerve pain from ulnar nerve transposition surgery.  I am barely able to function as a normal human being most of the day.  Good luck and hope you don't have to deal with as many side affects as I do.  It is a very very weird drug that some can tolerate and others cannot.  I'm stuck with it for now since our BC pretty much refuses to cover any other similar drugs for this nerve condition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No wrestling for me.  The doc gave me Valacyclovir and Gabapentin.  Said to come back if it gets closer to my eye.  I still wanna sue somebody, otherwise what good is it living in a litigious society?

I'm currently on Gabapentin for nerve pain from ulnar nerve transposition surgery.  I am barely able to function as a normal human being most of the day.  Good luck and hope you don't have to deal with as many side affects as I do.  It is a very very weird drug that some can tolerate and others cannot.  I'm stuck with it for now since our BC pretty much refuses to cover any other similar drugs for this nerve condition.

Believe or not I take Gabapentin because I don't get natural REM sleep (side effect of Lyme Disease that never went away). It won't put you to sleep, but once you fall asleep it puts you into a deep REM sleep.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Believe or not I take Gabapentin because I don't get natural REM sleep (side effect of Lyme Disease that never went away). It won't put you to sleep, but once you fall asleep it puts you into a deep REM sleep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No wrestling for me.  The doc gave me Valacyclovir and Gabapentin.  Said to come back if it gets closer to my eye.  I still wanna sue somebody, otherwise what good is it living in a litigious society?

Hell I never am awake even working and driving during the day.  It's really fun if you decide to drink a beer or two.  Better be sitting on the bed when doing so and that is exactly what I did during Daytona Biketoberfest this year!  Can't go to a bike rally and not at least have one drink in four days  I'm only on a low 600mg per day (200 x 3) dose
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#12]
The obvious, and only answer, is to sue the person from who you caught chicken pox. Otherwise, you wouldn't get shingles.

Some of ya'll are dumber than a sack of hammers. Seriously.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:15:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you haven't yet, get to a doctor. Acyclovir? will stop the progression of the rash.
View Quote

Wife is a drug rep. Used to promote this drug. It will help! Get better soon.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you haven't yet, get to a doctor. Acyclovir? will stop the progression of the rash.

And doesn't help in some cases. Ask my wife.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:24:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Ask your Dr about Desonide lotion.It is a steroidal lotion. It is what my Dr prescribed for me. Use very sparingly on the affected area. Cleared it up in less than a week. I continued to apply the lotion for about 2 months, and it never came back. That was a little over 10 yrs ago.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:27:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Guess what?
Nothing in medicine is 100%
Especially vaccines.
Influenza vaccine, for example, is about 67% effective
Your immune system didn't recognize the vaccine and generate effective antibodies. Happens about half the time.
Sue your parents for gifting you a crappy immune system
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:38:12 AM EDT
[#17]
NOTHING AFTER YOU GOT CHICEN POX MAKES A DIFFERENCE. NOTHING. Get over it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:31:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Go see your doctor. They can do a blood test to see if you have antibodies to Varicella. If you have antibodies (and they're a high enough level), you've had chicken pox some time. The good news: You're unlikely to ever get chicken pox again. Bad news: You're still eligible for shingles.

If the blood tests show no immunity to Varicella, you need the chicken pox shot. Yesterday. Contracting chicken pox as an adult is a big deal and not in a good way.

The good news: If you've never had chicken pox and you get the chicken pox vaccine, you're extremely unlikely to ever get Shingles. Once you've had chicken pox, the virus lives in the nerve cells in your spine forever. And when it decides to wake up in a particular nerve...BOOM. Shingles.

The big hope is that as we vaccinate more and more kids against chicken pox, we'll hopefully see less and less shingles of the years. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:34:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
NOTHING AFTER YOU GOT CHICEN POX MAKES A DIFFERENCE. NOTHING. Get over it.
View Quote
Not sure if trolling or scientifically illiterate?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:15:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

torso here too.  got lucky as i see the face cases are horrible and make people miserable.
View Quote

I had it thi summer on my left side of my face and on the side of my nose and on my eyelid. It sucked pretty bad. My doc was extremely worried about my eye but I got some pills that helped alot. There were times when it felt like someone was holding a blowtorch to the side of my face
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Does anyone else get occasional small breakouts?  The patch that I got under my eye was no bigger than a dime, and every so often I get just a couple of small spots on my back where I originally had the larger patch.

Docs seem skeptical that it's shingles, although they drug me just the same, but the burning sensation is unmistakable, and extends well beyond the visibly inflamed area.  My thought is that I'm just catching it early because I'm a big pussy with no tolerance for pain.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#22]
My wife unit is a dermatologist, she sees shingles from time to time.  She says she now sees reports the vaccine effective in perhaps as low as 30% of the population.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Go see your doctor. They can do a blood test to see if you have antibodies to Varicella. If you have antibodies (and they're a high enough level), you've had chicken pox some time. The good news: You're unlikely to ever get chicken pox again. Bad news: You're still eligible for shingles.

If the blood tests show no immunity to Varicella, you need the chicken pox shot. Yesterday. Contracting chicken pox as an adult is a big deal and not in a good way.

The good news: If you've never had chicken pox and you get the chicken pox vaccine, you're extremely unlikely to ever get Shingles. Once you've had chicken pox, the virus lives in the nerve cells in your spine forever. And when it decides to wake up in a particular nerve...BOOM. Shingles.

The big hope is that as we vaccinate more and more kids against chicken pox, we'll hopefully see less and less shingles of the years. 
View Quote

That is what I understood. When my kids had chickenpox , right after having the vaccine 18 years ago or so, (and of course the Dr. said it couldn't be from the vaccine , it must have been by exposure before the inoculation). I moved out of the house for a week!

Another question, can a person who hasn't had chickenpox , or the vaccine, get chickenpox by being exposed to someone with Shingles?

The only reason I haven't gotten tested is that I figured that if I hadn't gotten Chicken Pox by age 61 it probably wasn't going to happen. I have a pretty good immune system , haven't had the flu in 25 years. That and I hate needles! The I skipped out the back door missing a few of my childhood shots and haven't had a Tetanus shot in close to 40 years. The only vaccine I can remember having was a Yellow Fever about 20 years ago because I was going to the Middle East.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:12:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That is what I understood. When my kids had chickenpox , right after having the vaccine 18 years ago or so, (and of course the Dr. said it couldn't be from the vaccine , it must have been by exposure before the inoculation). I moved out of the house for a week!

Another question, can a person who hasn't had chickenpox , or the vaccine, get chickenpox by being exposed to someone with Shingles?

The only reason I haven't gotten tested is that I figured that if I hadn't gotten Chicken Pox by age 61 it probably wasn't going to happen. I have a pretty good immune system , haven't had the flu in 25 years. That and I hate needles! The I skipped out the back door missing a few of my childhood shots and haven't had a Tetanus shot in close to 40 years. The only vaccine I can remember having was a Yellow Fever about 20 years ago because I was going to the Middle East.
View Quote

Yes you can, but you would have to have direct contact with the afflicted area.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Feel bad for you.  I had the shingles when I was 19 (rare for that age).  TO this day, it was the single most painful experience of my life.  There was one day when I couldn't even walk.  Had it all over my chest and legs.  To this day, 30 years later, the right side of my right leg is still a bit numb from the experience.  It was absolutely horrible.

Hope it is a mild case for you.  By the way, the suing part is bullshit.  Just had to say.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#26]
To prevent to proliferation of the virus, get yourself some 100% pure aloe Vera juice and drink it often, get some Licorice Root Extract, take as directed, L-Lysine amino acid supplements, take 2000 to 3000 iu. every 12 hours for a couple of days, Olive leaf Extract (oleuropein), as directed and keep applying the Aloe gel. 

Goolgle up foods that contain Arginine and refrain from those while the condition persists as Arginine competes with Lysine and supports outbreaks. 

Don't drink milk or use milk products while taking Lysine as it neutralizes Lysine's anti-viral effect
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top