User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Mormons will send an auditor to your house to "help" you figure out how much to give.  Or so they say.

Really?

Thats what my buddy in Salt Lake City told me.

Do you really believe your friend?  Is it really that hard to figure out what 10% is?  I'm a Latter-Day Saint (Mormon) and I can figure out what to tip at dinner without an Auditor!  I would not trust what your friend has to say about the subject.  

Also with my 2 cents:

Malachi 3:8-11 Talks about "Will a man rob God?"

Numbers 18:26  How much we need to pay.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Check your sources.  What a buddy told a buddy who heard from someone is not correct.  I have been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon = nickname) all my life and served a 2 year mission for the church along with all my brothers, father, uncles, and grandparents, and my wife has served as well so I know a thing or two about the operation of the church.  Tithing is confidential between you and your bishop and the Lord.  No one ever comes over to collect or "help" you know how much to pay.  It might be noted that the LDS church has no paid clergy.  My bishop (leader of the local congregation) volunteers all his time in service in the church, during the day he is a small buisiness operator.  Tithing goes to the massive expenses of the church worldwide the church completes more than a couple meeting houses each day along with over 100 Temples worldwide.  Church offferings of time and money are used worldwide to distribute food clothing and medicine.  I gladly will give whatever is asked but I give of my own free will and choice and have never felt any sort of compulsion from the church.

Justy,
I was reading LDS website and it had on it something about having to make an appointment to vist the church and something about clothes rentals??? What's that all about?

Clothes rentals, got a link?

I think he's talking about temple clothes which are rented to those who don't have their own.
No appointment ever needed to go to church but depending on the flow of people, sometimes the temples take appointments.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Check your sources.  What a buddy told a buddy who heard from someone is not correct.  I have been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon = nickname) all my life and served a 2 year mission for the church along with all my brothers, father, uncles, and grandparents, and my wife has served as well so I know a thing or two about the operation of the church.  Tithing is confidential between you and your bishop and the Lord.  No one ever comes over to collect or "help" you know how much to pay.  It might be noted that the LDS church has no paid clergy.  My bishop (leader of the local congregation) volunteers all his time in service in the church, during the day he is a small buisiness operator.  Tithing goes to the massive expenses of the church worldwide the church completes more than a couple meeting houses each day along with over 100 Temples worldwide.  Church offferings of time and money are used worldwide to distribute food clothing and medicine.  I gladly will give whatever is asked but I give of my own free will and choice and have never felt any sort of compulsion from the church.

Justy,
I was reading LDS website and it had on it something about having to make an appointment to vist the church and something about clothes rentals??? What's that all about?

I think he's talking about temple clothes which are rented to those who don't have their own.
No appointment ever needed to go to church but depending on the flow of people, sometimes the temples take appointments.

Didn't know you can rent them.  Thanks for the insite.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have never felt that the Bible, New Testament, says you have to give 10% to the church. Didn't Jesus say to give of a willing heart? I think rich greedy "preachers" use the 10% "rule" to extort money from people.

So, which denomination of Christianity is best for me? I've heard the the Church of Christ doesn't require you to give 10%. Is this true?

Go with Universal Life. If you're going to fund a scam, fund an honest scam.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Have any of you naysayers ever tried giving to the Lord?  I don't mean dropping a $20 in the plate while you are appeasing a relative or friend by attending a Christmas or Easter play once or twice a year.  I mean to look around for someone or some organization that could genuinely use and would genuinely appreciate your contribution.  Take a quick snapshot of your current finances.  Drop a relatively significant sum to that worthy organization, family, or individual.  For some folks $100 may mean that you have to do without dinner and movie.  For others it may be $1,000 that they had slated for a new rifle purchase.  Even still, others may have $10,000 and more in mind to spend on a vacation.  I challenge you all to TEST GOD on this issue. Donate that $100, $1,000, or $10,000+ to a worthy cause of your choice. In my experience, God will return your faithful giving ten fold. I didn't believe it till I tried it.  I am convinced, ten times over.

PS - Don't forget that it is also tax deductible.            
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Have any of you naysayers ever tried giving to the Lord?  I don't mean dropping a $20 in the plate while you are appeasing a relative or friend by attending a Christmas or Easter play once or twice a year.  I mean to look around for someone or some organization that could genuinely use and would genuinely appreciate your contribution.  Take a quick snapshot of your current finances.  Drop a relatively significant sum to that worthy organization, family, or individual.  For some folks $100 may mean that you have to do without dinner and movie.  For others it may be $1,000 that they had slated for a new rifle purchase.  Even still, others may have $10,000 and more in mind to spend on a vacation.  I challenge you all to TEST GOD on this issue. Donate that $100, $1,000, or $10,000+ to a worthy cause of your choice. In my experience, God will return your faithful giving ten fold. I didn't believe it till I tried it.  I am convinced, ten times over.

PS - Don't forget that it is also tax deductible.            

Good point.  Some folks spend that on one family dinner at a nice place.  So you miss a meal.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#7]
RELIGION IS BAD
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Catholic churches I've been to, I've  never heard one word about how much to tithe (no definite amount or percent).
The only time I heard a specific amount was when one Sunday the priest asked if people could pay $11.78 per family to cover the parish's costs of running the facilities, etc. on a weekly basis.
That's alot lower than 10%.  Of course, I'm sure alot of people pay more than that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Justy,

http://www.lds.org/temples/guidelines/o,11222,1917-1-116-2,00.html

hope it works for ya. It's the LDS website. It does say for visiters to call for a appointment and something about the temple being open to all "worthy" church members.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Its absolutly PATHETIC the way churches spend money. They wont get a frickin dime from me.
I firmly believe you people are fools if you give money to the church.

I would agree with you about many churches. We have one of the most modest facilities around. Our money goes to get the job done. No gold, no stained glass, just four walls and a collective will to serve God. Our church is independent. We spend the money not some guy on the other side of the ocean wearing a lamp shade on his head. Planerench out.

As it should be.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#12]
IMHO, I don't like any particular denomination. I believe in God and the bible. I don't think that we should argue about whose denomination is better. I've seen it happen. I've seen "religous" people make jokes about other denominations. ??? Where's your holiness making fun of others? What if someone hears that and decides to never worship? Not very christian, but then again neither am I. So whose the hypocrite now?lol. I once went to a church and was a born again christian. then I joined tha Navy. After 6 months or so I got to go home on leave. The church suffered some major breakup and drama. It was never the same and I never went back. Basically find a church you like and believe in. After that God/Holy Spirit/your heart will let you know what you should do.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Look, God doesn't NEED your money. Tithing is in fact Biblical though. So, any Bible believing church will practice and preach tithing.

Now, tithing can also mean other stuff. Like I said, God doesn't need your money. You could tithe clothing to your church, or take time to visit the sick in the hospital, make a meal for another church member whos spouse is sick and can't cook. It's about YOUR devotion to Him. God also wants to discipline you for His glory (Not spanking type discipline..Military type)...How can you bring glory to Him through your 10%?

God gave us His Son...10% of what He has given me is nothing....

And to the LDS that keep saying their clergy isn't paid, I consider quite misleading. Many missionaries receive funds from the church to live on. As well as secretaries, bookkeepers, lawyers, public relations people, seminary professors, institute teachers, and gardeners all receive a paycheck.

The general authorities of the LDS church also receive compensation for their position in the church.

Also, it says in your own D&C that your bishops should be paid...Section 42:73 "And the bishop, also, shall receive his support, or a just remuneration for all his services in the church."

In addition, paying clergy is not against Biblical teachings. As a matter of fact, it's encouraged. Bible verses supplied upon request

Bumper Sticker "10% is good enough for God, why not the IRS?"
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The Mormons will send an auditor to your house to "help" you figure out how much to give.  Or so they say.

I have never had anyone show up at my house to "help" figure out how much to give!!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top