Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I never got into them either. People sure seem to love them, so I guess that makes me the weirdo.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I liked the first Ironman. That's about it for me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went to a funeral of a great lawyer who I respected and liked. One of his adult children, a friend of mine, mentioned in his eulogy for his father that he remembered dragging his father to a book store in town to buy comic books and his father always took him with a little bit of a groan and roll of his eyes. I mentioned that in a meeting in chambers once before a trial and the judge, prosecutor and counsel for the codefendant all launched into a discussion about remembering buying X Men comics in the late 70s and early 80s. 

It annoys me no end that Marvel comics have gone full retard into social justice land. Fans did not like "the Falcon" taking over as Captain America when the sjw writers made Steve Rogers suddenly an old man, so in retaliation the writers made Rogers young again, but in retaliation against "those racist Trump voting assholes" who made the company bring back Captain America, they rewrote Captain America as a fucking Nazi who was working for the Germans the whole time and who helps Hydra (i.e. the Nazis) take over America.

Comic Books, for all their soap opera horseshit, were the Illiad and Odyssey for children my age. 

I had a roommate for awhile who was a big guy , benched close to 400, smooth talker, got tons of women, very cool guy. He came home from a bar one night and was laughing about some electronic trivia game they played and said to me, he jokingly said something about the other guys being racist mother fuckers (he's a black guy) and then said "Arthur Curry!" and laughed and laughed "What the fuck are you talking about" "Arthur Curry! They picked comic books as the last set of questions, didn't think a black man knew Aquaman's secret identity? Surprise mother fuckers!" Maybe you had to be there, it was funny as hell.
View Quote
Marvel was always a SJW outlet.  Just listen to what Stan Lee has said about his characters.  X-Men is all about SJW.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

ah yes..  bc alpha males dont enjoy action based entertainment 
View Quote
Another forum I go to, an action figure forum, has more than a couple active and retired military and police who are members there. That same forum had a policeman as site staff. Sadly he was shot and killed on duty a number of years back. Guess he was a beta male though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You mean like Rusted Ace who has GI Joe tattoos?
View Quote
Zing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Because it featured a 10-foot long blue penis in one scene?

View Quote
How can you not atleast appreciate a 10 foot long blue penis?

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Its just the latest fad after the zombie thing.  In few years it will be something else.  

Some of the movies are a fun watch, others incredibly meh.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Its just the latest fad after the zombie thing.  In few years it will be something else.  

Some of the movies are a fun watch, others incredibly meh.
View Quote
Yes, I can remember back to just a few years ago when they came out with the first comic books.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#13]
As I said in the OP, "to each his own, and all that".  I thought it was pretty clear there was some good-natured ribbing involved. Some get it.  Some people are even capable of laughing at themselves, yet others can't keep from having hurt feels.

Stay hurt Betas...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Stay hurt Betas...
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think the doll thing is weird Although my wife got my son a huge Buzz Lightyear and Woody from Toy Story. We went into his room to play while my wife was putting baby to sleep and my son handed me Woody to play with (fucker doesn't even have a gun in his holster) then he picked up Buzz and lasered Woody
View Quote
I understand that. I collect them though because I think they are cool looking. I don't "play" with them. I assemble them and put them in shelves on display. Some people make some outstanding vignettes with their figures. Most people on here would display the figures some of the more advanced customizers make. Not my figures and I shouldn't post it without permission but here is just an example.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#16]
So have we resolved anything yet? Those who hate comics are cool or something?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Ex wife adores all things Marvel and Star Wars.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As I said in the OP, "to each his own, and all that".  I thought it was pretty clear there was some good-natured ribbing involved. Some get it.  Some people are even capable of laughing at themselves, yet others can't keep from having hurt feels.

Stay hurt Betas...
View Quote
16'er gonna 16.  If you have to announce that you're Alpha, you're not Alpha.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
But you're a DC guy? I see why it didn't work out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it featured a 10-foot long blue penis in one scene?

You make a good point.

Dammit! 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
16'er gonna 16.  If you have to announce that you're Alpha, you're not Alpha.
View Quote
Ding-Ding-Ding !!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like Punisher comics and Batman movies (some) and some of the Avengers movies. She will binge watch Agents of Shield monthly. finishes it, then starts it over again. plus every spin off. Daredevil, agent carter, jennifer jones....

Even has purple comic book hair and Star Wars and Marvel tats. its all a bit much.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Never got into comics as a kid.

I did like the Xmen cartoon but never saw it enough to know what was going on.

I do like the Marvel movies, Iron Man ss one of the strongest action movies to come along in recent years.

They blow away all the crap remake movies being done.

The comic book losers/loaner types are good for helping fill in back story or indicate where the future of the movies is headed and what to look forward to.

Getting to see how they will tie it all together is going to be cool.

The success of the marvel movies gives me hope that Star Wars can take off if they can ever break away from stupid Skywalker rehashed stories.

/edit

I can only wonder how much of our military technology has come from concepts born out of scifi shows like StarTrek or comics like IronMan.

The DARPA exo-suit being the easiest thing to come to mind and seeing how IronMan could have inspired it(not that the idea isnt unique to ironman but comics have been at it longer than say the Alien movie or movies like Elesium)
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I like Captain America movies, Punisher movies and Deadpool.

That's about it.
View Quote
That's about it for me as well, but add in the first Iron Man movie.

I'm on the heavily-geeky side of things, mostly with science fiction and wargaming. Comic books never really did anything for me; I like fiction to not overly stretch my suspension of disbelief. Sadly, mass-market movies suck at the believability thing. (Premises can be unrealistic, but should be consistent and otherwise done realistically)

Oh, and I'm a recovering WH40K player
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I think the doll thing is weird Although my wife got my son a huge Buzz Lightyear and Woody from Toy Story. We went into his room to play while my wife was putting baby to sleep and my son handed me Woody to play with (fucker doesn't even have a gun in his holster) then he picked up Buzz and lasered Woody
View Quote
So your son used an armed toy to shoot an unarmed toy?  Has he seen a shrink yet?  
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Am I alone?

Never understood the attraction.  To each his own, and all that, but I just don't get it.

I did enjoy Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos, the Weird War Tales, Haunted Tank/Jeb Stuart stuff, but was certainly never a collector or aficionado.

As a kid, "Comic-book" types always struck me as loners who creeped me out a little.  Today, the only person I know, with a comic book collection, is a nerdy cuckservative Trump hating, married to a Hillary lover, Taurus Judge owning dork.  He loves these Superhero  movies.  I can't shake the association.

You SuperHero loving, DC/Marvel Comic reading Freaks are... well... Freaks!!!

ETA:  I enjoy Heath Ledger's Joker.
View Quote

Waaaaahhh!!! People like things I don't like!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Waaaaahhh!!! People like things I don't like!!!
View Quote
Nope, more like I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one that wasn't into, based on the seeming fascination with said material around here.  That is all.  Seems you guys are the crybabies over a differing opinion...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's about it for me as well, but add in the first Iron Man movie.

I'm on the heavily-geeky side of things, mostly with science fiction and wargaming. Comic books never really did anything for me; I like fiction to not overly stretch my suspension of disbelief. Sadly, mass-market movies suck at the believability thing. (Premises can be unrealistic, but should be consistent and otherwise done realistically)

Oh, and I'm a recovering WH40K player
View Quote
I rational response.  I can identify with those sentiments regarding suspension of belief.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Oh shit!  I liked Guardians!  Is that a comic?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never was into super hero comics as a kid.  Didn't care for the cartoons much either.  Maybe because we were to poor to buy comics and our TV sucked so we opted to play outside instead.  Comic-Con is just plain weird.

That said, the Marvel comics movies kick ass and Stan Lee is a creative genius.  Can't wait for the new installment of Guardians of the Galaxy.

The DC comics movies blow chunks.
Oh shit!  I liked Guardians!  Is that a comic?
So strongly opinionated, yet doesn't even know what he's talking about. Why am I not even a little bit surprised
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Alpha personalities have no need for fantasy super heros. 

Beta cucks...not so much. 
View Quote

I hope this is a weak troll
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I never got into them either. People sure seem to love them, so I guess that makes me the weirdo.
View Quote
No, you're not weird. You don't like something. Other people do like that same thing. See, in the real world it's actually ok to like different things, and unless you're a grown man that likes my little pony you're not weird for it...you just have different tastes. It doesn't make you alpha or beta, gay or straight, or cool or lame. It's pretty amazing actually.

As for me, I never got into reading comic books (I'm a big science fiction fan though) but I do really enjoy most of the comic book movies a lot.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#32]
The weird thing about this thread is that people tend to read comics in the privacy of their own home, so we really have no idea what a comic book fan looks like.  Sure, there might be guys who dress up in costumes and go out in public, but that's a tiny little fraction of the people who buy and read these things.

So when someone says that comic book fans are beta cuck losers . . they're really just projecting some kind of internal fantasy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I can take 'em or leave 'em, but it's worth noting that the content of the GI Joe comics of the 80s vice the television show of the same time was like the difference between Dirty Harry and John Wayne.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top