BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:19:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Samsung LED?

That feature is called "Motion Plus" (or something). It is in the settings menu.
Turn it off and see if you like the change.

Or live with it for a little while. Customer feedback is that many like it once they get used to it.

...and they are all wrong.  

I hate the motion smoothing features on newer TVs.  I can tolerate it for live TV like sports and newscasts but it makes movies look terrible.  There is a reason that movies are still filmed at just slightly less than 24 frames per seconds.  It lends a particular aesthetic to the look and feel and what you are seeing on screen that is essential to film IMHO.

I'll never understand why the industry decided that people are going to want their movies to look like live TV.  Many fucks be upon them if this shit catches on.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah turn 120hz off and also at very least turn the LCD backlight down.

Then go to avsforum.com and look your TV up. You might find calibration info there and just write down what had worked for others. You don't even have to invest in a calibration disc.

If it was mine, I would jack with it. I want an LED I just wanted to know if this was how it always looked.

Sounds like it can be fixed. That's what I was hoping for.

Aha gotcha.

Yes. I'm a big fan of Samsung panels. If you pick one up you should have no problem finding calibration settings to experiment with.

When I bought mine I searched on avsforum (the Arfcom of home theater) and found a whole thread devoted to people experimenting with their same tvs. I picked a couple that were the most popular and tried them out, settling on one that is simply outstanding when used for blu-ray movies. Truly a home theater experience. The best thing I did was turn that stupid 120hz setting off. It looks too fakey to me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Samsung LED?

That feature is called "Motion Plus" (or something). It is in the settings menu.

Or live with it for a little while. Customer feedback is that many like it once they get used to it.

I hate the motion smoothing features on newer TVs.  I can tolerate it for live TV like sports and newscasts but it makes movies look terrible.  There is a reason that movies are still filmed at just slightly less than 24 frames per seconds.  It lends a particular aesthetic to the look and feel and what you are seeing on screen that is essential to film IMHO.

I'll never understand why the industry decided that people are going to want their movies to look like live TV.  Many fucks be upon them if this shit catches on.

Oh it's here to stay. At least til the super HD sets get here. Every manufacturer I've checked out has some kind of it under a different trade name. Sony, Samsung, Vizio... Research what their name is for it and turn it off with extreme prejudice.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Samsung LED. I like mine but did take some getting used to the width.

I felt like I was watching a tennis match. Almost like going to the movies and sitting in the first row.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#5]
As others have already mentioned, it's due to a setting that you should be able to turn off. On my LG LCD it's called "TrueMotion." Makes the picture look like crap, the infamous "soap opera effect."

I watch all of my Blu-Rays and DVDs at 24 fps if possible, to get the true feel of cinema.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:37:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Try turning off the motion blur, or whatever they call it on your tv. Also, if you can drop the refresh rate, it should make it look normal.

This.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It looks like watching old Dr Who. Plasma for me please

There are a few settings that you need to turn off to get rid of the "Soap Opera" effect.

LEDs have some very nice pictures, if you turn off half of the factory settings.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's like we reverted back to the 70's. The lighting is all off and it looks very unnatural.

All I can see is actors acting. Do you eventually get used to it?

Samsung led is the best! Sooo clear!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You have to adjust your TV.  The default settings do weird things to the picture.  Mine had the contrast set way too high and something called sharpness turned up.  I ended up turning the sharpness to zero, lowering the contrast significantly, and then turning down the brightness a little so that blacks were close to black.  It looks way better now.

You shouldn't have to adjust a $1,000+ TV to get the picture quality at an acceptable level.

Plasma > LED

Herp derp plasmas need calibrating to optimize the picture too.

One thing plasmas do very well is black levels, but the new LCDs (esp with dynamic LED backlights) come decently close.

Herp Derp
I've never "calibrated" my plasmas.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You have to adjust your TV.  The default settings do weird things to the picture.  Mine had the contrast set way too high and something called sharpness turned up.  I ended up turning the sharpness to zero, lowering the contrast significantly, and then turning down the brightness a little so that blacks were close to black.  It looks way better now.

You shouldn't have to adjust a $1,000+ TV to get the picture quality at an acceptable level.

Plasma > LED

One thing plasmas do very well is black levels, but the new LCDs (esp with dynamic LED backlights) come decently close.

Herp Derp

I have a Samsung 58" plasma and a Panasonic 50" plasma - both needed video adjustments (but not calibration) to get a proper picture.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I think having to calibrate a television makes sense. I think trying to get used to the soap opera effect is non sense. It is like getting used to wearing pants that are wayyyy to tight than trying to loose some weight so they fit better. I guess an easy fix would be to just buy a plasma and a larger pair of pants.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#13]
the Soap Opera Effect/Motion Plus/Image Interpolation thing is completely separate from the TVs refresh rate (60Hz, 120Hz, 240Hz).  the soap opera effect can be adjusted and turned off while the refresh rate always stays the same
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:33:50 AM EDT
[#14]
What is your input?

Mine has that problem when streaming Netflix via my internet connection or SD cable.  With HD cable, Blu ray, or even regular DVDs the picture is flawless.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I couldn't get used to it when I was looking for flat screens in the store.
Plasma!
The only cure is plasma.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:45:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Try turning off the motion blur, or whatever they call it on your tv. Also, if you can drop the refresh rate, it should make it look normal.

Some TVs also have settings for film vs. tv, which has to do with frame rate adaptation, and having that set incorrectly can also make it look like a soap opera.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Calibrate the damned thing first.

This!  It really can make a dramatic difference.  Just do a search on your tv model and calibrate.  You'll find several sites that will give you some pretty good settings that will make a huge difference in how the screen looks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I remember years ago you all were touting LCD and bashing my plasma because "it gets to hot". Some said plasma would be obsolete.

What happened?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You should try calibrating your TV. Search out the high def TV forums for starting points. Or, you can pay a professional to do it. Should help some.

This!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Samsung LED?

Oh it's here to stay. At least til the super HD sets get here. Every manufacturer I've checked out has some kind of it under a different trade name. Sony, Samsung, Vizio... Research what their name is for it and turn it off with extreme prejudice.

It's literally the FIRST thing I do when I get a new TV.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#21]
calibrate the picture.  I have a Sony and it's da bomb.  You can have your stinky ole plasmas....
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Read the manual, check out TV forums...turn off the 240hz refresh rate or whatever they call it.

I make my living in video and had to adjust my 60" LED to not "go soap opera." Not a big deal, I use 240 for gaming though.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I remember years ago you all were touting LCD and bashing my plasma because "it gets to hot". Some said plasma would be obsolete.

What happened?

This thread has nothing to do with LCD vs. Plasma.  Those who think it is are just confused as to why their movies don't look like movies anymore.  The "Soap Opera Effect" is the result of frame interpolation which can be turned off on any set that has it.

With interpolation enabled, new TV's literally add new frames where none existed before so your 24 frame per second movie now has 60 frames per second or more with the TV's processor making guestimations at what those additional 36 or more additional frames ought to look like.  The result is an image which has far more information than the director ever intended which makes the movie more like a Soap Opera and less "Cinematic".

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Read the manual, check out TV forums...turn off the 240hz refresh rate or whatever they call it.

I make my living in video and had to adjust my 60" LED to not "go soap opera." Not a big deal, I use 240 for gaming though.

Do you get any input lag using interpolation for gaming?  I would expect that any processing being done by the TV would create some degree of additional latency but I have no experience with interpolation and gaming.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#25]
get a plasma

...before your president bans them
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Nope, not a fan, which is why I went high quality LCD. Truer colors, hardly any noticable streaking, and no soap opera like imagery.

You do know that most ALL LED TV's are actually LCD, they are just backlit by LED instead of a normal light right?

Fixed it...

ETA: After carefully looking at every option last year, I went with Panasonic plasma panels for the LR and BR.  LCD/LED TV's just look artificial to me. And they suck for watching football.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#27]
DLP rear projection
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Any room on the plasma bandwagon for me?  If so, I'm in.

+100%
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Turn off the smoothview or whatever the manufacture uses to up the framerate, that is what is giving the home video look to it.

I can't stand watching movies on the newer 120htz or smoothview TVs.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plasma > LED

Herp Derp

Well you should.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#31]
My 65 inch Hitachi CRT TV works just fine.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is obviously a first world problem. "Oh, woe is me, my HD picture is too clear!"

Actually, it's not the clarity - its the refresh rate and or 3:2 pull down.

Those are two totally different things.

The 3:2 pull down is to compensate for movie film being shot at 24 fps and have it play at TV rates.
Any movie on cable, dish, DVD or Bluray already has the source converted to either 30p or 60i.

The refresh rate is the 60, 120 or 240 Hertz thing. The faster the refresh rate the less action smearing the LCD has.
Plasma has something like a 400 Hertz refresh rate.

The LCD has either a fluorescent or LED source behind the LCD image. The only source of a black is the darkness of the image and the ability of the backlight to dim at the specific area.

The Plasma is very different. It is composed of many thousands of tiny light bulbs in the red, blue and green that compose the picture. It is able to actually turn off completely any pixel needed to produce that deep pure black that LEDs strive for.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What happened?

LoLwat?

I've always been a plasma proponent. You got me mixed up with someone else.

I've only recently considered an LCD, but this tv isn't helping.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plasma > LED

Herp Derp

Well you should.

Exactly. For best picture, TVs need to be calibrated for the room they are installed in. The settings have to match the ambient light of the room, and the colors in the room to be correct for your eyes. I thought it was all a crock, until I saw the difference between a calibrated and stock TV. You won't want to go back. In store, the TVs are designed to be super bright so the picture jumps out at you, but those are not the correct settings for your living room or bedroom.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#35]
I can't stand that setting, I hate that almost all TVs default to it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's like we reverted back to the 70's. The lighting is all off and it looks very unnatural.

All I can see is actors acting. Do you eventually get used to it?

I'm with you.  I freaked out when I first got mine.  Everything looked like a soap opera and I just couldn't get used to it.   I ended up switching it to the movie mode, turning the contrast waaay down and turning off the motion enhancing feature.  Now, it looks like my old DLP and I'm happy once again

It's a Sharp Aquos 3d BTW.

Edit.....Now that I've read the tread, I see that I am pretty much parroting.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Started Shawshank Redemption. Couldn't take it. Can't stand to have such a good movie fucked up by LED silliness.

Started dickin with shit. Turned off auto motion plus and killed the brightness a bit. Fuckin perfect.

Once again Arfcom comes though.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top