Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:30:10 AM EDT
[#1]
how could you have missed the intro topic.....it was a huge f'in mess.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Great rifle. My son LOVES his.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Necromancer,

You will hear this over and over, but you are a new gun owner and safety must come first.

Part of our creed and part of our "religion" if you will, are the FOUR rules of firearm safety.  Follow these and you'll do OK.

Rule Number One.    ALL WEAPONS ARE ALWAYS LOADED, AND YOU SHOULD TREAT ANY GUN AS IT IF IS LOCKED AND LOADED AND READ TO FIRE IMMEDIATELY.   My old man told me when I was a kid that "guns load themselves when you're not looking."   That's a good way to put it to a 10 year old, but it gets the basic safety rule across.   It is very easy to "forget" whether you loaded or unloaded the gun, and equally easy for someone else to load it when you're not paying attention.  One lapse can mean an negligent shooting, so just  assume any gun that you handle is loaded.  Treat the gun, even if you've just visually inspected the chamber, with the reverence and respect that you would have when there's a round in the pipe and the gun is ready to fire.   Do not rely on safety devices.   Assume they will fail.  Murphy's law says that they will.

Rule Number Two.    KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU HAVE YOUR EYES ON THE SIGHTS AND ARE READY TO FIRE.   This is the most often disregarded safety rule, and the one with the most awful consequences.   You should practice keeping your index (trigger finger) pointed in the same direction as the barrel, out of the trigger guard, until you have squared the gun to your shoulder, acquired the target in you sights and are absolutely ready to fire.    

Rule Number Three.   DO NOT ALLOW YOUR MUZZLE TO COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY.    Good awareness of where the barrel is pointed is essential.   Under rule number one, all gun owners will assume your gun is loaded, so if you're sweeping them with your muzzle they won't appreciate it.   And under rule number one, you need to assume your gun is always loaded so you should be conscious that the end of that weapon needs to be pointed in a safe direction at all times.    Generally, this means that when walking you will point the barrel down at the ground in front of you, or up and to the side.   When you are at the range, the barrel will be pointed downrange at all times.   If you need to look at the action, you reorient your self in relation to the gun, keeping it pointed downrange.   This is very important.

Rule Number Four.   BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT.   That little .22 you just bought sends a screaming piece of lead over a mile and a half under ideal circumstances.   So want to always be sure what you are shooting at, and what is beyond it.   You should make this determination when you take sight at the  target and BEFORE you put your finger on the trigger.  

Finally, enjoy yourself.   You will enjoy your new purchase, but be conscious at all times of the responsibility you have with so much power.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Good choice!  Safe shooting.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
LIAR!!!!!

Post pics.

SGtar15

Well???

You always seem to have a camera available to post pics of your Goth costume...where is a pic of this rifle you suppossedly bough?

Well RachelF??

WTF is it?

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hello again.

I just wanted to say I finally bought a gun for myown. It's a Ruger 10-22 rifle. I can't wait to take it out to the range. I got it over the weekend.

Anyone have one of these? How do they shoot?

anyway, I'm going to go to Walmart to get some .22 .

It is a great choice!

I have one carbine and one heavy barrel Target Model.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Excellent gun.  And a great platform for a suppressor.  That should be your next purchase - get a suppressor for that thing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#8]
sgtar...just for once shut up. Do you really have to act like an ass all the time? Everytime anyone that even smells of estrogen comes in here, you lose your frikken mind. Just once shut up and see if "it" is going to stay and be a gun-owner. I would love to help the noobs here, but everytime one turns up, you guys act like asses and run them off. It is getting to where, I can't even send someone to this site because I know you and the boys are going to be asses. What in the hell were you like at eighteen? Did you spring, fully tactical, from the forehead of white feather or where you a little turd?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Here is a pic of my heavy barrel one.

Are you going to put a scope it?

If you do put a Weaver TO-5 base instead of the little 3/8" base.

Be careful and happy shooting!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Is there anyone that owns firearms that doesn't own a 10/22? They almost seem to be like the front door of a house, if you own a house it is very likely you own a front door.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice choice. I think I remember the 10/22 being one of the two starter firearms I recommended you when you first posed that question a week or so ago. Congrats!

Everyone has made some great recommendations concerning the safety aspect, as well as learning. So I'll just say pay careful attention to what's been said already and leave it at that.

After you've had a few months trigger time with that gun and have good fundamentals (this is why having a good instructor is so important), you may be ready to move on up to something else. If and when you are ready, if you could locate yourself a nice little USGI .30 carbine, I think you would like it. It's about the same size, looks similar to your 10/22 and although a larger and more potent caliber, it is still very mild when it comes to recoil.

Or outside that, there is the more expensive but modern AR-15 type carbines that you might find suitable. They are much more powerful than the 10/22, but the recoil is really mild, so it's a hoot to shoot and won't bruise your shoulder. Plus, they are just, well, really cool.

But of course, right now your focus remains on the 10/22 and learning how to shoot it, handle it and master gun safety. And on eother thing nobody yet has mentioned...while the 10/22 is very reliable and the stainless finish will help it resist rust and corrosion, it will need at least periodic cleaning to keep it in good shape. Eventually, after rounds are fired, the powder residue and filth that gets into the action could result in the weapon jamming or misfiring. So learn the procedure for keeping the little 10/22 clean and it will serve you well. Plus, getting in the habit now will pay off as you get more sophisticated but also more finicky guns in the future.

Once again, congrats on the purchase. Be safe, but have fun with it.

-CH
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Where did she go?   Is she in school at this hour?
10/22s are great btw I got mine at age 10.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Inquiring minds want to know where is the Ruger?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is there anyone that owns firearms that doesn't own a 10/22? They almost seem to be like the front door of a house, if you own a house it is very likely you own a front door.

I don't...but I do have two AR-7 survival rifles...

I should probably shoot one of 'em one of these days, huh..
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Ruger 10/22 was also my first gun.

you would hardly recognize it, but here it is with a thumbhole stock, graphite Butler Creek Barrel and a scope.  a great shooter.

have fun

BE SAFE !!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Some of you guys are such SUCKERS !!
She/he's playing you all for SAPS !!

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

<hijack>Yes....there are quite a few people that don't have / don't like the 10/22.  I'm one of 'em.  Most of us have some other form of a .22 though, and IIRC from the other thread, most of us have Marlins. </hijack>
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Actually, I think most of the male members reading this thread are hoping she's a sucker.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Nope . Don't have one . In fact I don't own a .22 rifle at all .
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Dupe Post .
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

No Way Man..  They're all gonna get some of that !

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The 10/22 is probably the best "first gun" anyone can own.  They are great in stock form, but have plenty of "fix-er-up" potential if you like to customize your guns.  Plus, they are quite cheap to feed with WalMart 550-round bulk-packs, so you can afford to shoot plenty.  I recommend picking up a few extra factory mags (don't pay more than $12 each; you can usually find someone with them at $10 each).

You can learn all the necessary fundimentals on the 10/22 to be an excellent shooter and still have a great time doing it.

-Troy

+1

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Wheres the pics! We need pics! Great gun BTW, I have 2 myself.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Is a 38 going to be your next choice?

+1

Bryco's are nice.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#27]
10/22 is a fine rifle.

made many pots of squirrel chili with one
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Congrats on the purchase.  Please heed the safety advice posted here.  I've still got my 10/22 that I bought new when I was 18.  That was 30+ years ago and the rifle still shoots excellent.  I've also got a 10/22T with the hammer forged heavy barrel.  Both like Winchester T22 ammo which only costs a couple of bucks a brick more than Wildcat.  I've found that the hyper velocity stuff is not as accurate as the standard.  Good luck and be safe!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Me.

I went with two (2) Mossberg 44US's
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Any of you guys want to get on a first name basics with Necromancer just call her Al!

Bob
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top