Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:02:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Deadeye, he was very polite to you, it had nothing to do with you eating there. They were most likely at least conservative and Shrimp gumbo is not kosher. It would require a through cleaning of the microwave.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:07:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
And tonite (Friday) is the first night of the celebration of Chanukah. It's a holiday that perhaps hould be observed by all of us who believe in individual freedom, for it celebrates the triumph of a small group of freedom loving people who refused to abandon their belief in one Almighty God; and bow down to the false image of a foreign king.

Something similar happened in 1776, as I recall.
View Quote

Yep!!

Warsaw too!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:12:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you, [b]raven[/b], for providing today's "ARFCOM [size=4]WTF?!?!?![/size=4] Moment."
View Quote

Like it?  That Brazillian cartoonist is OBSESSED with slamming Israel, he comes up with the most mind-bendingly offensive and hypocritical stuff that you can imagine. He's famous all over the world, but he's not well known here in the US.  [red]For some unfathomable reason[/red] [rolleyes]
View Quote

Ummmmm, maybe because there's only a FEW Morons who would look at it, let alone POST it, in the US???    [flame]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:40:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I feel lucky to live in one of the most ethnically mixed cities in the country.  On one street I can get real Jewish deli, Korean, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, German, Italian, Hungarian, Greek, French, and even Genuine American food.  What a country.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a general belief that when a person puts there friends in  categories as 'black friends'  'Jewish friends', they are trying to hide a deep seated prejudice.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#7]
as a person living in NY, ya know where there are more jews than in isreal! I did'nt know that there were many living in anywhere except florida and LA. but here a tip, don't talk to them about the "old testament" it's insulting! and as far as their food is concerned, yuck! it only exsists because "GOD said so" they would've adopted italian or some other food long ago if they had a choice. I only say this because many times i've had to eat at these delis with my Kosher friends, can't even get a turkey club or a italian hero !
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Shellfish, invertebrates (crab, lobster), serving meat with dairy products all aren't kosher.  Ergo no cheese on sandwiches, lasagna, most pizzas etc

Most Jewish schools keep kosher kitchens.  shrimp gumbo was a big no-no.

Depends on how observant they are.  Keeping kosher isn't too hard once you get started.  Some families keep two sets of cookware and dishes.

Ma Danby has a rather eclectic family.  She's half-Serbian/Montenegrin and half Irish/Penna Dutch.  Her older brother married a Jewish girl from Indianapolis. Her sister a Jewish guy from Manhattan, family is one of the diamond industry families.  Hey younger brother a girl who is half Black and half Japanese, with deep ties to the music and acting industries.  All have Jewish friends.  Going to Hannukah dinners used to be a hoot, listening to all the stories of grandmothers and great-aunts, and comparisons of brisket recipes, latkes recipes, what is the right way to grind the onions, What Onions?, secrets for matzoh balls.  And then a few days later at her parents for St. Pizza Day when all the kids select and decorate the tree, and then Christmas Eve with the Serbian extended family at Ma's parents.

Then we go over to our kosher friends for New Year's Eve, and get to hear their best ways for brisket and latkes.  

I hate to admit it, I never met a brisket or latke I didn't like.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:37:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Auggie -

From my WIDE range of experience. lemme remind you -

Defending yourself from antisemitism charges from this guy is like chasing thewind (pun intended)

Ignore him. He throws antisemitism charges around like I do pennies.

Truth be told, he does it so much, he renders it meaningless.

Matzos anyone???

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Only in America, A right wing christian extremist goes into a deli, complains about the price and the lack of interest they have in converting to his religon.

Maybe next time you should go to a mosque and leave your shoes on as you wander about reading your bible.  Maybe they will be so impressed with your religon they will convert on the spot.

We should be happy you finally ate some good food.  I was not aware that a deli was the center of thought in the Jewish world.  I have heard stories about jewish owned businesses hiring non-jews.  Maybe the christian waitress already had her own bible?

Wow, a deli is a center of religon and the bible mentioned guns.  This whole time, I thought a deli was a place where you got food and the gun was first used in europe in the 15th century
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#12]
You talkin' to me, pal??? [b] YOU TALKIN' TO ME????[/b] [:D]

Quoted:
Only in America, A right wing christian extremist
View Quote

Thank you. People who aren't "extreme" in their beleifs ain't worth their weight in horse sh--, uhh, feces, far as I'm concerned.

goes into a deli, complains about the price ....
View Quote

Yes, its VERY American to do so. [:D

and the lack of interest they have in converting to his religon.
View Quote

Who's talkin' about converting anyone to anything?? I said "discuss." Only a weak minded individual would regard  a simple "discussion" as so overpowering as to regard it as "converting" anyone.

Wow, a deli is a center of religon and the bible mentioned guns.  This whole time, I thought a deli was a place where you got food and the gun was first used in europe in the 15th century
View Quote

Well, THEY had a Jewish manora {sp?) right there on the counter, so go read them the riot act about trying to "convert" their customers.

Me, I regard their manora as their freedom of religion, but apparently you regard my desire for "discussion" as offensive or something to be criticized.

And gee, I just thought this was a nice little thread for fun....

What a maroon.

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#14]
What is even more amazing is spending three pages and three days discussing what Gman had for lunch.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is even more amazing is spending three pages and three days discussing what Gman had for lunch.
View Quote

C'mon, surely you must have appreciated my version 'A Day in the Life' by the Beatles?

Ever since I read the title to this thread, that tune kept running over and over in my mind every time I came across it!

Eric The(WeCouldBeDiscussingingWhySomeone'sCockIsDry!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

It has been swimming in my head all weekend even worse than that silly Chimpanzee postcard song.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey -

My littlest act or thought is EMINENTLY relevant and important.

[:D]

ETH -

I've never been much of a "Bayt-uhlles" (think Brit pronunciation )fan. I've always thought their music was best enjoyed WITH hallucinogens.

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
With all due apologies to Lenin/McCartney:

[size=3][b]A Day in the Life of G'man[/b][/size=3]

I ate with Jews today, oh boy
I am a lucky man who made the grade
And though the Jews were rather sad
Well they just had to laugh
When they saw that photograph.
Yasser blew himself up in a car
He didn't notice that the fuse was lit
A crowd of people stood and stared
They'd seen his face before
Nobody was really sure
But they knew it was the Hand of the Lord.

I saw a film today, oh boy
The Israeli Army had just won the war
A crowd of people turned away
but I just had to look
Having read The Book.
I'd love to turn Jews on

Woke up, fell out of bed,
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup,
And looking up I noticed I was late.
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the Deli in seconds flat
Found my way in and had a herring that was smoked,
Somebody spoke and I went into a dream

I ate with Jews today, oh boy
A hundred types of bagels were on the wall
And though their names were written small
I had to count them all
Now I know how many blintzes it takes to fill the local mall.
I'd love to turn Jews on

(to be sung to the tune of 'A Day in the Life', by the Beatles, 1967)

Eric The(Lyical,Satirical)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Thanks a lot, Hun. Now everytime I hear that song I'm going to laugh and think of a fat, blowhard viking.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#19]

I ate with jews today
View Quote

I guess that would be better then cooking with jews....
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There is a general belief that when a person puts there friends in  categories as 'black friends'  'Jewish friends', they are trying to hide a deep seated prejudice.
View Quote

Wow, for some reason I found this hilarious. If you believe the statement then the statement it's self is prejucial since it catorgizes people as prejudice.  

My heads spinning.[:D]

Regardless, I'm tickled as hell I didn't send that ham to my boss who is Jewish.  I guess I would rather have a deep seated prejucdice than be insensative and stupid.[:D]

Tj
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah I ate with them ONE time too.....I do private security work. A couple years ago after a THREAT at a jewish school (I wonder why??) I was hired to screen and monitor traffic into a jewish school building in town. Normally I just brought a sandwich and ate by myself at lunch. One day I had some left over shrimp gumbo that I took to eat.SNIP [rolleyes] edited to add: I hope "I" didn't come across as being prejudice....
View Quote

No, you came across as a PUTZ.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Oy, and this is news why?

Gee, last week I ate with Mexicans, Chinese, and Thai's!

Having lived in South Carolina I know what passes for entertainment ... and eating at a Jewish Deli normally doesn't. You must live such an exciting live ... you do need to get out more.

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Well G-man, people who are extreme in their beliefs are generally intolerant.  Extreme is usually close to irrational.  If I were you, I would not consider my irrational behavior and intolerance of others to be an accomplishment.

As far as their "right" to place a manora(sp?) on private property during a religous holiday.  The deli was private property, unless it was in a public building?  So you went into a jewish owned business during a religous holiday and whipped out your bible hoping to "discuss" the failings of their religon?  That is sounding like the irrational extremist I was talking about.

I am a maroon for questioning you?  What kind of classless jerk goes into a store and expects the owner to justify their religous beliefs in order to sell him a sandwich?  You are short on manners and a few billion braincells.

Do you try this at Piggly Wiggly or Kmart when you shop there?  Maybe you can start chasing anyone with a tan down the street and screaming bible verses at them.  Or do you already do that when you are not here?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Maybe you can start chasing anyone with a tan down the street and screaming bible verses at them.  Or do you already do that when you are not here?
View Quote

See, now, I thought you were being serious UNTIL you posted this.

But your OBVIOUS hyperbole here tells me yer just having fun here, in this thread, as I am.

I did NOTHING more than read my Bible (uhh, the SAME OT they ascribe to, in large part) in their business. NOTHING MORE.

No proseletyzing, not even any eye contact with them while I was reading. The world is safe from me and my Bible, I'm SURE you'll be glad to know.

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Oy, and this is news why?

Gee, last week I ate with Mexicans, Chinese, and Thai's!

Having lived in South Carolina I know what passes for entertainment ... and eating at a Jewish Deli normally doesn't. You must live such an exciting live ... you do need to get out more.

[rolleyes]
View Quote

Cranky much??? Why insult me???

NOT like the "Paul" I've come to know and appreciate.

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Or, in the legendary words of my maternal grandfather, the store delivery boy: "Heil Hitler, Frau Kohn, here's your matze."
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I ate with Jews today
View Quote
Yeah..........and?

How anyone can mistake this as noteworthy is strange, to say the least. Had you sat down to dinner with say...a man from mars...now, that might be worth posting.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:47:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
[url]http://italy.indymedia.org/uploads/kiss.gif[/url]
View Quote

I'd rather see better Arafat in the picture. Just to keep everything in the family...

[img]http://palestinefacts.org/images/mufti_husseini_hitler.jpg[/img]

Hajj Al Husayn, Gran Mufti of Jerusalem and relative of Yasser Arafat, met Hitler in 1937.

From Nurembeg trial extract:

"At the Nuremberg Trials, Eichmann's deputy Dieter Wisliceny (subsequently executed as a war criminal) testified:

[i]The Mufti was one of the initiators of the systematic extermination of European Jewry and had been a collaborator and adviser of Eichmann and Himmler in the execution of this plan. ... He was one of Eichmann's best friends and had constantly incited him to accelerate the extermination measures. I heard him say, accompanied by Eichmann, he had visited incognito the gas chamber of Auschwitz.[/i]"

Raven, you better change that image.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:09:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Oy!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top