User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:48:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I want to learn to own page 2.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:48:59 AM EDT
[#2]
The one thing I have had issues with teaching a new hunter,and this generally means someone under 35 years old,is they generally have not so much issue pulling the trigger on game but they dont want to deal with the after math such as the gutting, skinning, and quatering up of the animal which like it or not is the final part of the game.
Try to find someone with experience and is high on firearms safety and go from there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:50:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:51:06 AM EDT
[#4]
First, if your state offers a hunter safety course, take it. You will likely need it to get a hunting license. Read your state game laws, especially those regarding the type of game you want to hunt. Brochures will be available where you get your license. Read books/magazines regarding the type of hunting that you want to do. From reading about hunting whitetail deer, for example, you can learn about the type of habitat you are likely to find them in. The type of sign they make when they are in an area.  You will learn about the type of equipment you will need to get started.  You can learn how the weather, terrain, and moon phases effect their habits and movements. You can learn about their habits of movement during feeding, bedding, and breeding times. You can learn how to clean, butcher, and cook them.
Build a knowledge base, then get an experienced friend to mentor you, and show you how to apply that knowledge. An experienced hunter can also teach you one of the most important, and most neglected aspects of hunting; Hunter etiquette.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wouldn't know how.  I have an idea from watching my dad and hunting buddies gut a few when I was a wee lad and seeing some youtube videos, but I have a feeling I'd mess up gutting it bad.  Can you bring a deer to a butcher before gutting it?  I'm guessing no.  Should a butcher be involved at all, or can you usually just butcher them completely yourself?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Walk out in the woods , find a comfortable spot next to a tree . Sit and relax, wait for the deer you want to eat , shoot , gut and drag to truck, have it butchered and prepare like beef .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I wouldn't know how.  I have an idea from watching my dad and hunting buddies gut a few when I was a wee lad and seeing some youtube videos, but I have a feeling I'd mess up gutting it bad.  Can you bring a deer to a butcher before gutting it?  I'm guessing no.  Should a butcher be involved at all, or can you usually just butcher them completely yourself?

It's not half the mystery you think it is.
I killed my first deer at 13.
I read a 1966 Field&Stream magazine article over and over again with grainy pictures of the field dressing.
I just did what I had read and got the job done pretty easy.
I did need help on the skinning though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:57:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Ducks Unlimited is a fantastic organization that has get togethers.  You'll meet a lot of hunters that'll take you out and teach you the ropes.

I've been a member forever, my old man was an organizer, a lot of drinking at the events.

Join up, you won't regret it, they do a lot of good.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:04:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Small game too.

Squirrels, rabbits, grouse, dove, or whatever is in your area.  Will teach you observation and how to sit quietly.  Easy to do, minimal gear requirements, and can be done in a morning rather than taking all day with deer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:05:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Start with small game. Once you can skin and gut a rabbit or squirrel, you'll know the same principles to use on deer, just at a larger scale. It's all the same.

Practice on nutria rats? (I can't imagine they're protected).

Squirrels aren't much meat but a couple-three can make a good stew. Rabbit is delicious.

I'm 43 and got my first deer last season. It was freaking awesome, I like it better than beef. Learn where the tenderloins and backstraps are--those are the best cuts. But all of it is good.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:26:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Some people frown upon it but there is a technique called drive hunting where you have shooters positioned on one side of the woods and walkers who come stomping through the woods from the other side.  This will push deer toward the shooters.  

I prefer the sit and wait patiently method and don't participate in the organized drives.  But most deer you see in the daylight in pressured land were bumped up from their hiding spot by some other hunter crashing through the woods.  They normally try to stay completely nocturnal during hunting season, especially the big wiley bucks, except during the rut when they think with their little head.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:44:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I would start out with bird hunting, it is less boring, especially for a child.  Duck, dove, turkey, whatever.  Squirrels and Rabbits are fun for kids too, but you can get skunked if you aren't in the right area.  I just went Dove hunting Saturday, it might be my favorite.  

For example, I probably shot about 50-60 times on Saturday (got a limit, I am not exactly the greatest shot), and if you are deer hunting, you may go 10 trips or more without pulling the trigger.  You can also bring a young child along to "help find the birds" after you shoot them.  They don't have to sit all quiet, and they can play with whatever, talk, be curious, etc.  It is a great opportunity to teach them where food comes from, and the basics of gun safety and hunting.  He will think you are magic for being able to hit that little bird that is wayyyy up in the sky.    You don't need any fancy camo or anything.   A 12 ga will handle all of the different types of bird hunting, some people get a separate gun for all of them once they get into it, but a regular old 870 or similar will get the job done.  I use a 28" Maxus with a 3 1/2" chamber.  

Also, Dove hunting is easy, and you can go with a bunch of guys.  It doesn't matter how good of a "hunter" you are, everyone misses.    We just get a bunch of guys in a big field spread out, and sit on a bucket and wait for the fun to begin.  It is great to cook out and have a cold one after the hunt together while everyone cleans their birds.  It is laid back, and I have never seen anyone not enjoy it, even if it is their first time hunting anything.  You can pop in a couple of outdoor stores in your area, or check craigslist.  There should be several advertised opening day dove hunts for under $100.  This eliminates the need to scout, or find land/lease, etc.  It is all included.  I usually go a couple times by myself after the big hunt on opening day and do some traditional walking around/stalking whatever you want to call it. Very peaceful and quiet.  

Going with a friend who knows what to do will definitely be your best bet.  If you are completely new, YouTube and the Outdoor Channel could help.

ETA: You can learn to clean any critter on YouTube.

ETA2:  You are a good dad for wanting to teach your kid, if I lived closer I would take you guys out with my little boy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:00:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would start with squirrels or rabbit.
View Quote

This, squirrel hunting is s fine pastime.
I do not consider you a well rounded hunter unless you squirrel hunt.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The deer grounds are already going to be heavily populated with hunters and you likely won't need a lease for rabbit or squirrels (at least not around here) and they are quite a bit easier to hunt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

The deer grounds are already going to be heavily populated with hunters and you likely won't need a lease for rabbit or squirrels (at least not around here) and they are quite a bit easier to hunt.

Also more targets with less pressure. And it will get you out in the woods learning to move and be there. Small game is a great place to start.

Have you ever spent any time in the woods and waters, OP? Any clue at all?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Also more targets with less pressure. And it will get you out in the woods learning to move and be there. Small game is a great place to start.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

I'm an Eagle Scout and have done my share of camping, but all that was a decade ago.  We'll be headed to Utah for a couple of days of camping in November, and that will be my first time in a long time.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I second the suggestion to start with small game. It's fun, there's more targets to shoot at and there's less people on public land doing it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:05:26 AM EDT
[#16]
This is a problem with city dwellers.

If we don't have a network of country living friends in place, it is extremely difficult to break into the world of hunting.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If we don't have a network of country living friends in place, it is extremely difficult to break into the world of hunting.

View Quote

git off mah land you dirty city slicker!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#18]
There's probably a reason you went deer hunting once at 13, and never went again.  It probably wasn't particularly fun, and will be the same for your kid.

Get into bird hunting, quail or ducks, where you and your son can have fun hanging out, and hopefully getting several shots off per day, instead of a small chance of one shot.  Then move into big game hunting (especially hogs).

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Suburban born and bred, I started hunting three years ago at the age 40.  I am alone amongst my friends and family as a hunter, and am basically self taught.  Read all I could, watched youtube videos on field dressing various animals, and asked some questions online.  This will be my second season going for deer, and, hopefully, I will be successful this time around.

Anyway, my strategy is based on the Nike ad pitch - just do it.

Read your state's hunting laws and regs, take a hunter's ed class (it's likely free and necessary to get a license), figure out what you want to hunt, read as much as you can about hunting that animal, talk to other hunters you meet out and about (swallow your pride, tell them you know nothing and then listen), figure out where you can hunt and when you can hunt, collect the gear you need (or want), and just go out there and start doing it.  Eventually, your experiences well tell you what works and what doesn't

Fun stuff.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I am sort of in the same boat. I've done some small game hunting and really enjoyed it and want to give deer hunting a try. Luckily my in-laws are really avid hunters and have offered to show me the ropes this winter
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm an Eagle Scout and have done my share of camping, but all that was a decade ago.  We'll be headed to Utah for a couple of days of camping in November, and that will be my first time in a long time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Nice. Sounds like you won't be starting from scratch then. Learning to be a hunter is a wonderful thing. You never stop learning and it never gets old.

I agree that there is no need to spend a bunch of money on equipment, with one exception, footwear. High quality, waterproof, breathable boots are all that is good about technology. Waders for duck hunting, a solid pair go a long way towards enjoying the day.

Careful with that duck hunting! Those birds dropping into the spread can be really addicting.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is public land everywhere. Might have to travel a bit, but it's out there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
And a little money to dump. And a bunch of time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You need friends.

And a little money to dump. And a bunch of time.

He's in LA so finding someone that knows how to hunt shouldn't be that hard

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#25]
removed.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There's a reason he quickly hid it.  You'll want to remove your admission of it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a reason he quickly hid it.  You'll want to remove your admission of it.  

This is 20 something years ago, but ok.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good..I am sure that even a federal rap should be inside that time span.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#29]
take a hunters ed course. if you are new you will learn a ton.

birds are a lot harder to learn than deer.

if you are going to start shooting birds, skip this season and go next year. and i seriously mean this

practice on how to swing a shotgun and actually hit clays. get some lessons

your first 5,000 rounds should be at a trap range. and i am not kidding about that number practice every weekend will you can do it with your eyes closed.

get a decent shotgun o/u or sxs so you don't have to work a action. it simplifies it for a new shooter.

rifles are a lot simpler to learn on in some ways. but harder in some respects
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#30]
A buddy and I decided to give it a try for the first time last year. Neither of us had been on any type of hunt since we were little kids up to then.

Did some reading on basic technique, read reviews of public land within range of us, and headed out early one morning not expecting to see a thing.

We got lucky and he got a nice hog just by stalking their path of destruction. I missed mine . We ended up cleaning it at the station while a friendly hunter who was hanging out with the rangers gave us advice and walked us through it. Great experience and learning opportunity.

We both read up on it in advance but experience is the best teacher. You'll learn a lot just going through the motions. Get a buddy that wants to go out with you and just pretend your hiking (quietly) with rifles. We went twice last year, second time never spotted a thing even though our 'technique' was actually better via lessons learned from the first hunt. Both times we had a blast though. Just head on out and have some fun outdoors.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Start with something easy & active like dove or duck. It'll keep you and your kid's interest longer — if he's not having fun, he won't continue to do it. Then move up to hogs — tons of action, but added danger. Save the whitetail/elk/big horn/bear for last; big game hunting is rewarding but the wait can get boring.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There's probably a reason you went deer hunting once at 13, and never went again.  It probably wasn't particularly fun, and will be the same for your kid.

Get into bird hunting, quail or ducks, where you and your son can have fun hanging out, and hopefully getting several shots off per day, instead of a small chance of one shot.  Then move into big game hunting (especially hogs).

View Quote

Of course there was a reason.  I had a blast.  My brothers and I had been to my dad's hunting camp many times to hang out in the woods and shoot, and he took me hunting when he thought I was old enough.  Soon after, my mom had some medical issues, and my dad hasn't been hunting since.  Yes, there's a reason for everything.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Suburban born and bred, I started hunting three years ago at the age 40.  I am alone amongst my friends and family as a hunter, and am basically self taught.  Read all I could, watched youtube videos on field dressing various animals, and asked some questions online.  This will be my second season going for deer, and, hopefully, I will be successful this time around.

Anyway, my strategy is based on the Nike ad pitch - just do it.

Read your state's hunting laws and regs, take a hunter's ed class (it's likely free and necessary to get a license), figure out what you want to hunt, read as much as you can about hunting that animal, talk to other hunters you meet out and about (swallow your pride, tell them you know nothing and then listen), figure out where you can hunt and when you can hunt, collect the gear you need (or want), and just go out there and start doing it.  Eventually, your experiences well tell you what works and what doesn't

Fun stuff.
View Quote

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  In fact, I'm surprised by the number of people in this thread that are in the same position as me (or were).  

I'm currently working my way through the online hunter's ed course and have registered for the required hunter's ed field day.  My next step will be coordinating with my neighbor and coworker to organize everything I need for duck hunting and then plan out the dates.  I think after that, moving on to mammals will be a little easier since I've taken smaller steps to get there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

That is what most hunters have started with and children don't get as bored when having fun. I still like hunting rabbits, with my bow they are a hard target. Plus they are tasty!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Hunters should work hard to get more people into the sport.

So, anyone want to take me deer hunting this fall?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Morgan, I am actually in the same boat you are. I live in the same area and also want to learn to hunt, but have no idea where to start. It seems most people have family members who taught them, past that I have no idea where to start.

I can shoot well and I have decent outdoors skills, but past that I have no idea what to do to get started. Will monitor this thread!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's important to become a Hunter Safety graduate, as most states require it for hunting if you were born after 1967.  And please stop saying "mammals" as no one who hunts says that.  "Large game" (deer, elk, hogs) and "small game" (rabbits and squirrels) and "waterfowl" (ducks/geese) and "upland birds" (pheasant, quail, etc.) are the correct terms.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  In fact, I'm surprised by the number of people in this thread that are in the same position as me (or were).  

I'm currently working my way through the online hunter's ed course and have registered for the required hunter's ed field day.  My next step will be coordinating with my neighbor and coworker to organize everything I need for duck hunting and then plan out the dates.  I think after that, moving on to mammals will be a little easier since I've taken smaller steps to get there.

It's important to become a Hunter Safety graduate, as most states require it for hunting if you were born after 1967.  And please stop saying "mammals" as no one who hunts says that.  "Large game" (deer, elk, hogs) and "small game" (rabbits and squirrels) and "waterfowl" (ducks/geese) and "upland birds" (pheasant, quail, etc.) are the correct terms.  

Maybe he meant other kinds of mammals.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#40]
If you start having luck, let me know! I'd like to hear how others manage to learn.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

What city and what do you want to hunt?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#42]
I have nothing to add but good thread. This is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
take a hunters ed course. if you are new you will learn a ton.

birds are a lot harder to learn than deer.

if you are going to start shooting birds, skip this season and go next year. and i seriously mean this

practice on how to swing a shotgun and actually hit clays. get some lessons

your first 5,000 rounds should be at a trap range. and i am not kidding about that number practice every weekend will you can do it with your eyes closed.

get a decent shotgun o/u or sxs so you don't have to work a action. it simplifies it for a new shooter.

rifles are a lot simpler to learn on in some ways. but harder in some respects
View Quote

Get a good auto that will run. 5000 rounds is a little excessive but practice never hurts.

Practicing on a trap field isn't bad but will only teach to shoot birds going away. A good sporting clays course will be more beneficial than anything.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was using mammals as a catch-all for small and large game....okay, I'll admit I didn't know if deer counted as small or large.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Morgan, I am actually in the same boat you are. I live in the same area and also want to learn to hunt, but have no idea where to start. It seems most people have family members who taught them, past that I have no idea where to start.

I can shoot well and I have decent outdoors skills, but past that I have no idea what to do to get started. Will monitor this thread!
View Quote

Are you in BR?  Shoot me an IM if you want to meet up at the Hunter's Field Day class (I'm doing the coursework online).  I'm going the one at the Livingston Sheriff's Range on the 28th.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#46]
i was trying to say concentrate on the basics and get it down the graduate to something harder.

i have been shooting upland game and waterfowl for just around 15-20 years now.

practice practice practice.

i usually rotate guns when i shoot trap, the barrels get too warm to handle
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have nothing to add but good thread. This is relevant to my interests.
View Quote

Again, I'm glad.  I've honestly been feeling like I'm the only southerner that isn't a hunter.  I've been wanting to ask this on here for a while, but GD is unpredictable.  This thread has been a great resource so far, and I will be certain to come back and reread posts again in the future.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
i was trying to say concentrate on the basics and get it down the graduate to something harder.

i have been shooting upland game and waterfowl for just around 15-20 years now.

practice practice practice.

i usually rotate guns when i shoot trap, the barrels get too warm to handle
View Quote

What is a good barrel length for a shotgun for fowl?  I have a Mossberg Maverick 88 with an 18.5" that I could swap out barrels easily (22" maybe?).  I'm certainly not opposed to getting a good over under as I have been wanting one anyway.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Start with small game like squirrels. Less of a mess and better eating IMHO.

You will be surprised how much you can learn just squirrel hunting if you pay attention. That is also the best time to look for deer trails because the leaves have not fallen yet.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top