Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I like how they even listed the 26% year nine to year ten murder rate increase.  Like somehow that's related to the storm.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Why would anyone there be in a hurry to rebuild section 8 housing?

They moved them to Tx. Even some came here to RI.
We were smart enough to see it as it was.
Impoverished Redistribution
We didn't want them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:46:53 AM EDT
[#3]
It's funny how the black folks in those neighborhoods complain of gentrification when people with money come to the neighborhood to fix it up.  They want to keep their ghetto a ghetto.  It's also blatantly racist the way they insist they keep those black neighborhoods black.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Japan 9 months after the tsunami hit....

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/japan-tsunami-recovery-then-and-now/
View Quote

While a lot of stuff wasn't rebuilt after 9 months, they sure cleaned the place up.

I bet there is one hell of a mountain of trash somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#6]
The lower ninth ward was one of my areas of responsibility for my job. Today they would be better off taking a bulldozer
to any house that has not been repaired since Katrina. Turn it into a big green space the empty lots. Problem is you would still need some one to just cut the grass.
Jackson Barracks was a mess after the storm. They rebuilt it with an eye on being to handle a hurricane( concrete/steel beams with a brick veneer) and 2 story buildings.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I lost all sympathy for their "plight" when the media slipped up and let it be  known that the animals were shooting at the helicopters sent in to help them. They all should have drowned IMO.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Rebuilding is hard work.

Seems the government isn't willing to do that for them.

Contrast that to the cities in Oklahoma, the Texas Panhandle, or elsewhere that get hit with a tornado and they rebuild getting loans from the federal government and repaying them in time.

Wonder how Houston has changed in the last ten years?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Rebuilding is hard work.

Seems the government isn't willing to do that for them.

Contrast that to the cities in Oklahoma, the Texas Panhandle, or elsewhere that get hit with a tornado and they rebuild getting loans from the federal government and repaying them in time.

The road back has been particularly difficult for black residents, whose households now earn 54% less than white households. The poverty rate dropped somewhat after the storm due to the disproportionate exodus of the poor, but has surged back to its prior level — an astonishing 27%.

Wonder how Houston has changed in the last ten years?

It is now officially a shit-hole.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Pathetic. If those people get an itch they probably sit around waiting for the government to come scratch it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Funny how that particular neighborhood failed to rebuild itself.
View Quote

So much Ethnic Pride.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Some are currently residents of other states and upon release may or may not choose to go back home.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Some are currently residents of other states and upon release may or may not choose to go back home.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I lost all sympathy for their "plight" when the media slipped up and let it be  known that the animals were shooting at the helicopters sent in to help them. They all should have drowned IMO.
View Quote

They should have sent in "Puff, the Magic Dragon".
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Are there any other recent situations on the gulf coast where a populous just up and left after a major hurricane? Maybe temporary, but I can't think of any long term off the top of my head.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#16]
The collective 9th ward had no sense of community, civic duty, or respect for their neighborhood prior to Katrina flushing all the turds onto the un-wanting residents of the surrounding states.  It should come as no shock that the run down, un-cut grass, broken windowed, burned out ghetto residents didn't rebuild their hood back better than ever once the water receded.  I'm sure they're still waiting on the gubernment to do it for them.

Local churches collected clothes, household goods, toiletries, etc, and took sandwiches and bottled water to the "refugees" being housed in the barracks down the road from where I live.  They returned telling stories about how the refugees threw the sandwiches at them and refused their bottled water, and demanded HOT FOOD and Coka Cola.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#17]
spent 2 weeks in S Mississippi post Katrina as a volunteer after getting my parents on the road to safety, air conditioning and
clean fresh water..in their 80's and 90's and rode out that bitch in pretty high style...though my Father was never the same
after seeing 35 years of sweat and love destroyed..barns, tractors, pecan grove fall gardens..gone in an hour.. he was dead a year later..
and I still say even at 95 it just took his will to go on knowing it was all gone and he'd be unable to bring it back.. Mother lived 5 more years..

anyways,, it was 2 hot, sweaty, miserable, ball busting weeks.

I met a bunch of fine people, reacquainted myself with many more, ate some
of the finest "Church pot lucks" Fish Fries, Gumbos and pot luck stews in my entire life..

never heard, woe is me, never heard what's the Gubmint gonna do but ONE TIME and that was someone bitchin
about what was happening in Nawlins..

I did hear, ICE AND Water is HERE, I did hear... thank you, Praise the lord, Praise God, Praise Jesus, Thank you Lord for our survival and the fine folks helping out..
I also heard generators shared amongst neighbors, the shouts of strangers at a strange door checking on people and their
possible needs, chain saws running to clear roads, drive ways and front porches of which very few in the hand of government folks, but
in the hands of neighbors helping neighbors...there was always enough food, enough water, enough pats on the back and prayers to get everyone
back on their feet at least and await insurance adjusters and pinheads from FEMA..

that was my Katrina experience..

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Makes the folks in Haiti seem positively industrious by comparison.

Guess that's what happens when you give Mother Nature room to destroy.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I was but a small sparkplug in 89 when Hugo hit South Carolina.  Came in on my sister's birthday.  I can remember my uncle, grandfather and my dad all working all daylight hours to get our house patched up and the yard cleaned up. Hugo cut our boat in half with a tree.  It was a bitch of a job.  But as soon as we were good, we all started helping our neighbors. And then we went out into the neighborhood.  It was my job to get all the sharp stuff out of the road so no tires got popped.  We were without power for 11 days and I can tell you we worked for probably a full month everyday before our house, my grandfather's place and our neighborhood was working.  My granfather lost his home in Hugo, and it wasn't three years later he built, from the ground up, his new home.

I feel bad for them losing their homes, but I don't feel one iota of responsibility for their plight.  If you live on the coast, you can get hurricanes.  Deal with it or move north like I did.

p.s. Can the poster who talked about them shooting at the helicopters cite an article or something.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#20]
The front page of the Baton Rouge paper today had the headline "Katrina leads to growth". Yeah for the parishes adjacent to Baton Rough where all the white pepole with a job moved to after Baton Rouge got invaded by even more thugs than were already there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's funny how the black folks in those neighborhoods complain of gentrification when people with money come to the neighborhood to fix it up.  They want to keep their ghetto a ghetto.  It's also blatantly racist the way they insist they keep those black neighborhoods black.
View Quote

Local weekly paper had an article whose author was unhappy that the section 8 folks in the black side of town are being distributed to other areas of the county away from "their " neighborhood
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
spent 2 weeks in S Mississippi post Katrina as a volunteer after getting my parents on the road to safety, air conditioning and
clean fresh water..in their 80's and 90's and rode out that bitch in pretty high style...though my Father was never the same
after seeing 35 years of sweat and love destroyed..barns, tractors, pecan grove fall gardens..gone in an hour.. he was dead a year later..
and I still say even at 95 it just took his will to go on knowing it was all gone and he'd be unable to bring it back.. Mother lived 5 more years..

anyways,, it was 2 hot, sweaty, miserable, ball busting weeks.

I met a bunch of fine people, reacquainted myself with many more, ate some
of the finest "Church pot lucks" Fish Fries, Gumbos and pot luck stews in my entire life..

never heard, woe is me, never heard what's the Gubmint gonna do but ONE TIME and that was someone bitchin
about what was happening in Nawlins..

I did hear, ICE AND Water is HERE, I did hear... thank you, Praise the lord, Praise God, Praise Jesus, Thank you Lord for our survival and the fine folks helping out..
I also heard generators shared amongst neighbors, the shouts of strangers at a strange door checking on people and their
possible needs, chain saws running to clear roads, drive ways and front porches of which very few in the hand of government folks, but
in the hands of neighbors helping neighbors...there was always enough food, enough water, enough pats on the back and prayers to get everyone
back on their feet at least and await insurance adjusters and pinheads from FEMA..

that was my Katrina experience..

View Quote

Pretty much how it went in Florida back in 04 and 05  hurricanes.  Much smaller blows though.
Hats off to Pike Electric for restoring power.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#23]
How much is it still costing the Taxpayers?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
NEW ORLEANS — Ten years ago the floodwaters of Hurricane Katrina poured relentlessly into the Lower Ninth Ward, battering a struggling neighborhood of mostly poor black families.

It was, at the time, a New Orleans neighborhood of about 14,000 people. Now fewer than 3,000 people live there — a decade after most of the homes were simply washed away.

A visit there last week presented a post-apocalyptic landscape of neglect: a street grid with a house here and there, interspersed with empty lots. Only recently did the city begin to repair what’s left of the streets there. Curb cuts went in two months ago; pavement will follow.

All this, 10 years after Aug. 29, 2005, when the deluge broke through the levees and wrecked everything in its path.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/hurricane-katrina-10-yrs-new-orleans-struggles-article-1.2334479
View Quote

I live in St. bernard parish just a few miles away from the 9th ward. I had 11 feet of water in my house. My neighbor hood was rebuilt within 2years. Today the area looks like nothing happened. St. Bernard  was  was hit much worse.
The 9th ward was a drug infested crime filled ghetto before Katrina. The liberal media portray that area as some one of sacred ground. Just another shithole ghetto.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Tomorrow is Andrew's anniversary
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#26]
George Bush doesn't cares about black people

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#27]
10 years after, the facts are so fucked up.  New Orleans was not hit directly by Katrina, it flooded a couple of days after the storm when the levees failed.  The Mississippi gulf coast took the ass raping from that storm, not New Orleans.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Happy Birthday Katrina!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I live in St. bernard parish just a few miles away from the 9th ward. I had 11 feet of water in my house. My neighbor hood was rebuilt within 2years. Today the area looks like nothing happened. St. Bernard  was  was hit much worse.
The 9th ward was a drug infested crime filled ghetto before Katrina. The liberal media portray that area as some one of sacred ground. Just another shithole ghetto.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NEW ORLEANS — Ten years ago the floodwaters of Hurricane Katrina poured relentlessly into the Lower Ninth Ward, battering a struggling neighborhood of mostly poor black families.

It was, at the time, a New Orleans neighborhood of about 14,000 people. Now fewer than 3,000 people live there — a decade after most of the homes were simply washed away.

A visit there last week presented a post-apocalyptic landscape of neglect: a street grid with a house here and there, interspersed with empty lots. Only recently did the city begin to repair what’s left of the streets there. Curb cuts went in two months ago; pavement will follow.

All this, 10 years after Aug. 29, 2005, when the deluge broke through the levees and wrecked everything in its path.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/hurricane-katrina-10-yrs-new-orleans-struggles-article-1.2334479

I'm originally from "Da Parish", born and raised. I used to hate having to drive through the 9th to get to work. That place was like Mogadishu, just without the RPG's
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#30]
They're making the Ninth Ward sound like a little slice of Haiti.

Oh, wait.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#31]
This thread needs more Zeppelin...

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm sure everyone knows Katrina hit mississippi, not New Orleans. Right?  Levees failed.  No hurricane hit New Orleans.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Fuck off. I opened my business oct 2005 with zero dollars and my dad paid my first months rent on the building. I'm still not a millionaire, but I have a nice house and some land. My kids have nice clothes and get to do a lot of things that most other kids don't. My wife doesn't have to work anywhere except for the little bit of secretarial duties she does for me. You CAN build an empire in ten fucking years if you have the desire to do it. Rant over. Two fucks, whatever.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Oh look the ghetto blacks are whining. That's new. They even had to throw in the bit that 30k young whites moved in. Like well behaved people who work is a bad thing.
View Quote

No "milk chocolate" city please.......
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Someone owned all that property, and received FEMA or whatever funding to rebuild.  Renters are going to rent and do nothing for their community.  

It's the owners and they are not stepping up to the plate.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

George Bush doesn't cares about black people

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNgZzyYU8AAxUfT.jpg

View Quote
And the last thing those democrats will do is vote Republican.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Someone owned all that property, and received FEMA or whatever funding to rebuild.  Renters are going to rent and do nothing for their community.  

It's the owners and they are not stepping up to the plate.
View Quote

you want to rebuild what will once again be turned into section 8 projects, knowing they'll once again be destroyed
by those who have no skin in the game who then complain YOU are holding them down, YOU are refusing to clean the urine and poop
out of the hallways, YOU are doing nothing about the drug dealers and when the FedGov takes down said drug dealers they TAKE YOUR
property in the name of the "drug war"? go ahead
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:43:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

ziiiiiing
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm sure everyone knows Katrina hit mississippi, not New Orleans. Right?  Levees failed.  No hurricane hit New Orleans.
View Quote

I'm not sure what you were doing at 1AM ten years ago today, but I was on I-10 driving east.  I can assure you that the thing I was driving through was no summer shower.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Will France take the city back?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:16:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Will France take the city back?
View Quote

They can have it, as long as they leave the surrounding areas alone.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:35:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

exactly, what have these "residents"/ leeches done to help their own neighborhood in 10 years?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:12:53 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Japan 9 months after the tsunami hit....

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/japan-tsunami-recovery-then-and-now/
View Quote

Impressive progress on the cleanup in less than a year, that's a lot of work and I wonder where all the debris ended up getting dumped. Not exactly what I would call a "recovery" though - a lot of people dead or missing, probably a lot of survivors that don't want to go back... And a lot of bare foundations in those photos, kinda reminds me of some of the nastier pictures of the aftermath of big tornados.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:18:09 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Struggling my ass.

The ninth ward is flourishing.

I went to wine house with some friends a while back, the whole area has been taken over by hipsters.
View Quote

So if it turns into a democrat-voting hipsterville full of HOA's, is that getting better or worse?

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:19:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Struggling my ass.

The ninth ward is flourishing.

I went to wine house with some friends a while back, the whole area has been taken over by hipsters.
View Quote

No shit. I stayed there last year for a week and only felt mildly uncomfortable with a 9mm a few times. Otherwise it was great. Much better than old 9W.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Oh look the ghetto blacks are whining. That's new. They even had to throw in the bit that 30k young whites moved in. Like well behaved people who work is a bad thing.
View Quote

White people moving into a historically black area is racist.

White people not moving into a historically black area is racist.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:28:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A lot of those communities along the coast in MS and LA that quickly rebuilt were majority black.  What is it about NOLA that retards their recovery?

Also, those pics of Japan?  I see a lot of clean-up but not so much rebuilding.  I'd like to see an overview shot of the area - bet there are a lot of vacant spots.  Nice and tidy, sure, but still empty.
View Quote

That was the most impoverished region of New Orleans for a reason. It's only about race to nutters on the Left and Right who try to make everything about race.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:11:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Katrina was the best thing to happen to New Orleans...............
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:27:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Katrina was the best thing to happen to New Orleans...............
View Quote

Real fucking classy.

ETA: Eat shit troll....

...worth the time out.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:56:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Pathetic. If those people get an itch they probably sit around waiting for the government to come scratch it.
View Quote

The only reason they hook up is because they're too lazy to masturbate.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top