View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He's hunting for deer, not cock.

Thanks for clarifying. Can't assume anything around here
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Bought some Cabela's Inferno 2000s for this very reason and boy, are they warm. We'll see how they hold up in the long term.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Just ran across these too. Thermacell Heated Insoles. Don't know anything about them, but like the remote control idea. Seems like a pair of these in a pair of sorrels would keep the nip away.

View Quote

You can also put cayenne pepper in your socks.

They are a great concept but don't work all that well. I bought a pair. Full 2 day charge. Kept my feet lukewarm for about 2 hours and died.

I took them back to the store and they gave me a new pair. Same thing. Great in an emergency but they do not perform as they say they do.  3 stars out of 10

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just ran across these too. Thermacell Heated Insoles. Don't know anything about them, but like the remote control idea. Seems like a pair of these in a pair of sorrels would keep the nip away.

They are a great concept but don't work all that well. I bought a pair. Full 2 day charge. Kept my feet lukewarm for about 2 hours and died.

I took them back to the store and they gave me a new pair. Same thing. Great in an emergency but they do not perform as they say they do.  3 stars out of 10

Yeah on that note Cabela's battery-heated socks don't work for shit either.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is another product that I have been testing a bit too lately, and it seems to work as advertised.

Arctic Shield boot insulators. They go over your boots when you get to your spot and insulate from the outside. They actually have worked when I have used them with muck boots. The problem is they are bit bulky, so you need to have a big enough pack to fit them in. Pretty handy though if you have a long walk to your stand and don't want to wear heavy ass boots to get there.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71KZgxbURzL._SX425_.jpg
View Quote

If your feet are getting cold while stationary, then this - overboots.   They work.

If your feet are getting cold while you are walking, then you have one of a few problems.   Assuming you don't have an actual medical issue with poor circulation, then either:

- Your insulation is compressed (too many/too thick socks, boots too small, boot laces too tight).   This is the most frequent problem.   Lots of guys put on socks that are thicker than usual or extra pairs and just get colder; you have to fit the boots to the socks you will be wearing.
- Your feet are getting too wet due to poor ventilation (sweating) or getting soaked in creeks or snow, and your insulation isn't working well enough when wet.  Usually not a problem unless it's ridiculously cold out, you're stationary, or have very think socks and/or no insulation.

Gaiters can really help too, getting snow down the top of your boots is no good.

Gore-tex and waterproof boots are going to be a trade-off; your feet will get a lot more damp from sweat, but it's not as bad as dunking them in a creek.   I avoid them when possible.

I don't even bother with insulated boots until it's into the teens, unless I know I'll be dealing with lots of slush and water.   In PA I often would wear jungle boots sized to fit over wool socks.   I have extra pairs of boots specifically for wearing with thicker socks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't tie your boots so tight.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Red Wing Irish Setter 1000gr Thinsulate is what I wear in the Minnesota woods down to 5 degrees.  I use over boots if its colder.  Ice fishing or more than 5 below zero I use Steiger mukluks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#9]
columbia bugaboot, goofy looking but they're light, they're comfy and pretty well priced and above all they're damned warm
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Schnees

Not going to get in for $200, but your feet will thank you.

View Quote

+1 on the Schnees.  Sorels suck for walking in.  Schnees are great to walk in.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Meindl boots FTMFW! Cabela's carries them, and they keep my feet warmer than my Sorel boots both on deer stands and when ice fishing.
View Quote

This is the answer.

I wear Meindl Kampfstiefel Leicht, with double wool socks. It keeps my feet warm and dry at any temperature.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#12]
When I worked in Alaska, I wore Sorel pak boots when hunting coyotes. Feet stayed warm as toast down to temps of -30. Colder than that and only a fire could keep you warm.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Arctic Mucks with wool socks FTW!
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I work in a refrigerated/frozen food warehouse.  I find that keeping the rest of your body warm is important to keeping your fingers/toes from going numb.  Think about it a  1 degree drop in core temperature isn't much but your fingers and toes get a lot less bloodflow through them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#15]
One other thing to consider is a circulatory issue.  If you don't have enough blood flowing to your toes, then no amount of insulation will keep them warm.  That is the problem that I have (although the doctor I went to had no solution).  When my toes get cold, even getting back in a warm car, and putting the vents on floor will not warm them up.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I have played with all sorts of boots though the years..  Sorel, heavy as all get up for walking.. Georgia boots version of the sorel, heavy and slippery as fuck on the snow and ice, even with the screw in ice cleats... LaCrasse Ice Kings, = same as the Sorel's.

A few of the guys I work with steered me to Steger Mukluks... I pulled the trigger on a pair of these, and have never been happier... Warm as the day is long, the are as comfy and as LIGHT as a pair of slippers...

If your stationary, toss an old shag rug or the like under your boots. Especially of your in a portable deer stand or the like..
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/70/f0/aa/70f0aa8a97ba278273ae309f5af108aa.jpg

View Quote

they suck, i have a pair.  u might get 2hrs if your lucky....

ive always suffered from cold feet.  aside from overboots, i use regular toe warmers.  when my toes get too cold i get up and move.  i have both irish setter and rocky 800gram boots.  when its below 25, nothing cures the cold unless i walk.,,..
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#19]
FPNI,

Sorrels with removable liners, when you buy them get at least two or better yet three pairs of liners, once they get wet either from sweat or water they lose their insulating abilities.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Rockies, 1600.  Feet never, ever get cold.  Toss some toe warmers in there, too, if you really need them.  They usually burn my toes, though...
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:28:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I like the boot cover idea but I don't hunt in a stand and they would get wet on the ground.   I stand on the ground usually on a hillside which contributes to my toes being cold with poor circulation.  I climb a pretty steep hill so I don't bring a lawn chair maybe I should.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:32:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I like the boot cover idea but I don't hunt in a stand and they would get wet on the ground.   I stand on the ground usually on a hillside which contributes to my toes being cold with poor circulation.  I climb a pretty steep hill so I don't bring a lawn chair maybe I should.  
View Quote

Mine have a rubberized bottom. I could probably ice fish in them without a problem.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:40:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Are you wearing the right size boot?  If you don't have enough room in them your feet will get cold.

I like my Irish Setters.  Warm and water proof.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:42:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

depending on your needs get a nice chair these are all under 2 pounds

http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair

http://www.rei.com/product/846402/alite-monarch-butterfly-chair

http://www.rei.com/product/765283/rei-trail-stool
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:44:53 AM EDT
[#25]
http://www.icebreakerinc.com/bootblanket.php

Seriously the best things ever.  Make it out to your stand in whatever boots you want and these strapped to your backpack.  Get in your stand and fire up one of those hot hands heaters.  Put these beasts on with the heater on the top of your foot.  I've always had problems with my feet freezing but this year was a first where I was absolutely comfortable.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:48:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Mickey Mouse Boots
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:48:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

http://www.icebreakerinc.com/images/boot1.jpg

Seriously the best things ever.  Make it out to your stand in whatever boots you want and these strapped to your backpack.  Get in your stand and fire up one of those hot hands heaters.  Put these beasts on with the heater on the top of your foot.  I've always had problems with my feet freezing but this year was a first where I was absolutely comfortable.
View Quote

Those are actually the ones I have, I thought they were the Arctic shield ones I posted before, but I was wrong.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:07:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I slip into Bunny Boots in November and slip out of them in March. My Wife wears the Northern Outfitters which is a great boot but doesn't like water. (The Nothern Outfitters boots are rather LARGE but very light).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wore the rubber mickey mouse boots with double felt liners when in Montana.  I never got cold

Tried them in northern MI.  My feet still got cold.  I have never found a boot that really keeps my feet warm.

The white ones are better insulated than the black ones. I've got both. Once I was wearing them late season duck hunting on a particularly cold winter day when the spray and waves had built up a 4 foot tall mound of ice all along the shore of lake Ontario when a couple decoys near shore broke loose. Instead of messing with the canoe I just went in and ended up chasing a decoy into waist deep water. After I got out we hunted about another hour, I was freezing but somehow the boots warmed up. It was strange having warm feet with water sloshing around in the boots while I was literally freezing my ass off. My pants really ended up iced over on the outer layer.
When you break through the ice at neg 35 bunny boots will save your life. They are the only boot made that can do this. They are the only boot I will wear in the winter snowmobiling.  

I slip into Bunny Boots in November and slip out of them in March. My Wife wears the Northern Outfitters which is a great boot but doesn't like water. (The Nothern Outfitters boots are rather LARGE but very light).

Just wring out the northern outfitters when they get wet. That's all i have ever done.

Only bad thing about them is the rubber goes bad after 8yrs i think. Just lost 2 pairs this year.

Kamik and Baffin make good boots too.

Native made mukluks are very warm too.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#29]
From what I have read the charge will last between 5-8 hours depending on the heat setting.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#30]

+1

Wear wool or wool/synthetic blend socks.  Moisture from your feet will get wicked away to the sock and then into the felt liner.  Your feet stay dry until the sock and the liner are saturated with moisture, but you should be able to go the whole day hunting.  Remove the felt liner when you get home to let it dry out.  A pair of rubber boots with a felt liner can do the same thing and may be preferable in slushy/wet ground and puddles/streams.  

I like Sorrel, Kamik, etc.  You need the removable liner or you have a much more difficult time drying the boot out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
One other thing to consider is a circulatory issue.  If you don't have enough blood flowing to your toes, then no amount of insulation will keep them warm.  That is the problem that I have (although the doctor I went to had no solution).  When my toes get cold, even getting back in a warm car, and putting the vents on floor will not warm them up.
View Quote

Raynaud Syndrome.

Welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://www.icebreakerinc.com/images/boot1.jpg

View Quote

I don't use them often, but they do help.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

...I don't even bother with insulated boots until it's into the teens, unless I know I'll be dealing with lots of slush and water.   In PA I often would wear jungle boots sized to fit over wool socks.   I have extra pairs of boots specifically for wearing with thicker socks.
View Quote

Being acclimated helps.  I wear uninuslated LLBean boots (leather upper on a rubber bottom) until about 25F.  I have another set of Beans w/ I think 2 or 400g for when it's below that and a clunky pair of 1200g moon boots that I can't wear until it gets around 10F.  My feet are generally cold in the stand, but not uncomfortably so.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#35]
I use these.  Two pair of sox inside my pac boots.  Add toe warmers and I'm good to go all day on the stand.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

When I hunt on the ground I bring a foam asspad so I can get off my feet from time to time.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Don't worry to much, it is going to be near 60 tomorrow for the opening day.

But for later in the week, I would suggest 1000 gram thinsulate with goretex. boots.  If you are sitting still.

The 400 gram will work if you are walking.

Make sure the boots are not cutting off blood flow, as in tied too tight.    Make sure your pant legs are secure around the outside of the boots.  If the wind can get up your pant legs your feet will get cold.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#38]
I got a pair of Danner 1200 gram boots a few years ago & they work very well up in WI. At least down to a few degrees below zero which is as cold as it's been during my recent trips up there. This is with walking 1/4 to 1/2 mile to an area with a climber on my back, then climbing & sitting for 4-8 hours at a time.

Make sure they are not tight at all with the socks you are going to wear. A pair of the thin wick away sock liners under your merino wool socks will help a LOT, as will walking very slowly, then allowing a cool down/dry off  period before putting the warmest outer layers on after getting to where you stand to prevent getting too sweaty. Layers & no cotton, ever!
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Obviously has something to do with the thick rubber.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#40]
edit

OP you may have circulation problems if wool socks a polypro and the insulation you existing boots have leave you cold
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Only one word is necessary.  Danner.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#43]
vasque gore tex boots.  had my last pair for 10 years.  very warm IMO
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a pair of Muck Artic Pro's. Sadly they don't make them any bigger than a 15 so I can't get a size too big like I normally would.

Muck Artic Pro, standard shin high socks, and wool socks and dump baby powder in between them to soak up the sweat and I am good to go
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

These.

I have the 400gr pair of them since I double my socks up. They are fantastic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Red Wing Irish Setters.  800 grams, Gore-Tex, feet NEVER good wet or cold.  

These.

I have the 400gr pair of them since I double my socks up. They are fantastic.

yeah, I have a 800 gram pair and my feet are swell.  

The only other boot that got it right was sorel, but the irish setters are better in the snow (better sole for hiking, etc).  I'm on my 3rd winter with the same pair, which is also a record for me.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
There is another product that I have been testing a bit too lately, and it seems to work as advertised.

Arctic Shield boot insulators. They go over your boots when you get to your spot and insulate from the outside. They actually have worked when I have used them with muck boots. The problem is they are bit bulky, so you need to have a big enough pack to fit them in. Pretty handy though if you have a long walk to your stand and don't want to wear heavy ass boots to get there.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71KZgxbURzL._SX425_.jpg
View Quote

Good solution. If you get boots that are too warm for the hike in, you'll sweat and get cold. If your boots are correct for the hike in, they won't keep you warm enough when stationary.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I hunt in the far western U.P.  Take good look at Red Ball pack boots.  They have a Thinsulate inner liner and an additional insulated sealed layer throughout.  Mine remain flexible for walking even the temperature is below zero.  My feet do not get cold period.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Tried them in northern MI.  My feet still got cold.  I have never found a boot that really keeps my feet warm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wore the rubber mickey mouse boots with double felt liners when in Montana.  I never got cold

You need the white ones. The bunny boots. Everyone laughs at mine but they are the only thing that has ever kept my feet warm.

They are what that Kittinger guy wore into space back in the day for the free fall. -100 degrees.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Danner Pronghorn 1000 gram with wool socks. My feet will sweat (but stay warm) if I'm moving. If I'm not moving they're nice and toasty.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Danners and the Big Muck Boots are what I wear during hunting season.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top