Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Is being on the cover of Recoil magazine the kiss of death now? Them, HMG STG44, Skeli X11.....?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Too bad, checked one out and it seemed like a neat well made piece.

The prices drop that much?  Kinda boggles my mind they can't stay afloat given that they are over $1K a pop and seemed to be selling a good number of them.  Or did sales tank after the initial hype?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a combination of:

Over promising
Over marketing
Pressure
Premature
Under tested
Improper QA Processes
Unprepared for repairs to swamp them and take time from building guns to sell
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Hudson sold the world a POS 1200$ pistol and then stopped out of the blue supporting it and their customers, sounds like a scam to me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Is Hudson the Tucker of the gun making world?

LGS about 45 minute drive away has a new one under the glass. Should I go buy it? If it is gonna go the rising value route of HK P7s, I'll go get it. Other than that, it seems rather pricey for what it is.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought they looked really cool but I never heard anything particularly positive about them.

You've been able to find ones that look brand new on the EE and other classifieds for months from $700 to $800 with regularity, and they would sit for a very long time. That says a lot about the demand, unfortunately.

I doubt they'll ever be a bren 10 but they might be worth something as a curiosity years down the road.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hudson sold the world a POS 1200$ pistol and then stopped out of the blue supporting it and their customers, sounds like a scam to me.
View Quote
I wouldn't call it a scam, if they sold the world the pistol they wouldn't have been out of business. I got the feeling from the interviews they had everything tied up in it... Manufacturing shit is hard, even in the modern day, maybe more so. ask Desert Tech how the MDR is working out and Desert Tech already has products out.

I have a feeling its gonna be one of those "ahead of its time" things.

They seemed like great people from the interviews, I'm sure this is hard on them...
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Is shot my buddies H9 and it wasn’t terrible at all.

If they were Glock prices I’d buy one!

Still like glocks more, they are perfect with a few minor enhancements!
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

LGS about 45 minute drive away has a new one under the glass. Should I go buy it? If it is gonna go the rising value route of HK P7s, I'll go get it. Other than that, it seems rather pricey for what it is.
View Quote
P7s rose in value because they still work.

Sounds like Hudson might be following more of the Remington R51 model.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. Good point........
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I was one of the people with an R51.  I enjoy supporting new and different operational principles than simply a modified browning mechanism, but even I wanted to give this one some time.

Its a shame if they're going under, I thought the design had some real promise.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#12]
The gun always reminded me of taking it styling cues from the Taser M26.  

Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#13]
There has been quite a few for sale on my local board, can’t be a good reason for that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is being on the cover of Recoil magazine the kiss of death now? Them, HMG STG44, Skeli X11.....?
View Quote
X11 is at SHOT and Skeli posted a facebook post today that they were coming soon.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I got one when they first came out, still have it, and it hasn't had any issues. I don't shoot it often enough though, so perhaps it is a ticking time bomb... but it has been solid.

To be honest Hudson possibly going under neither surprises nor befuddles me. I've always kind of assumed they were dead men walking. The gun, even without the apparent onslaught of bad press and bad user experiences, was completely niche. It did nothing that cheaper, better established guns didn't already do. So it doesn't surprise me in the least that the Hudson is in the process of becoming the DeLorean of the gun world.

I'm keeping mine though, as it fits into my quirky collection between my P7's, my Bond Bullpup, and the other misfit toys.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#16]
If I remember properly, the manufacturing side was ran by the guys wife.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#17]
This is sad.  I really like mine, it's become my favorite handgun.  If I can't get parts or service for it anymore, though, I'll have to go back to Glock for carry.

Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's sad.

But it is true doing something different is a massive risk. This thing would have had to have been near perfect and a game changing success to work well in this current gun market.
View Quote
That shitty handgun was a solution in search of a problem. It neither filled the role of a 1911, a high power, or any other decent pistol on the market. It did nothing really well and most found it to be underwhelming in everything it tried to accomplish. Poorly thought out design.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Aww man that sucks. It was on my list of firearms to buy one day.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Dang that is too bad, interesting design and cool to see someone besides Kel Tec thinking outside the box
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That shitty handgun was a solution in search of a problem. It neither filled the role of a 1911, a high power, or any other decent pistol on the market. It did nothing really well and most found it to be underwhelming in everything it tried to accomplish. Poorly thought out design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's sad.

But it is true doing something different is a massive risk. This thing would have had to have been near perfect and a game changing success to work well in this current gun market.
Horseshit.

It fit my hands beautifully, has been reliable, and shot with very very little muzzle flip, and has the best trigger I've encountered on a striker fired design.

People found it "underwhelming" because they wanted to.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#22]
LOL at all the people posting shitting on the gun but never have shot one.

"I held it at the gun store, don't know what the hype was about"
View Quote
I like the pistol, worked just fine for me, looks funny but don't care. The magwell is small and the recoil/muzzle flip is light. My kids love shooting it. A few thousnad rds at this point.

buddy had a problem with the mag catch but they sent him one to replace it.

it sucks they are going out of business but when you try to sell to mouthbrethers at a elevated price it makes it hard
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. While I don't like to see people getting burned, anyone buying one had to know it was a major gamble.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
LOL at all the people posting shitting on the gun but never have shot one.

I like the pistol, worked just fine for me, looks funny but don't care. The magwell is small and the recoil/muzzle flip is light. My kids love shooting it. A few thousnad rds at this point.

buddy had a problem with the mag catch but they sent him one to replace it.

it sucks they are going out of business but when you try to sell to mouthbrethers at a elevated price it makes it hard
View Quote
It's funny you mention that, it is relatively small, but I've found, to my own surprise, that my reloads on mine were very smooth and nearly effortless, and I'm not sure why.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's funny you mention that, it is relatively small, but I've found, to my own surprise, that my reloads on mine were very smooth and nearly effortless, and I'm not sure why.
View Quote
Maybe it was the defective mag catch?

Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I said, mine has always been very reliable.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#27]
As good as S&W has been to me, over the years, I'm not really looking for the hot new thing in pistols.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
It wasn't that bad. I do think they made a mistake in the steel frame. It's heavy and I'm sure more expensive to manufacture. I get it probably helped sell the illusion of it being a good shooter. Aluminum definitely would have been a better choice.

Also they came at a weird time. Optics started getting big. And 1000 for a non optics-ready platform probably started to make less sense when folks like Glock have a 10mm mos for less than 700.

Quoted:
Dang that is too bad, interesting design and cool to see someone besides Kel Tec thinking outside the box
View Quote
I think innovation requires the self control Kel tec shows with their products right now. Numbers less than perceived demand. Impessive feature sets and a more than fair MSRP.

If Kel tec did this same pistol it would likely be polymer with an optic mount and less than 500.

It would be ugly with a waffle grip. But it would make more sense on paper than Hudson did.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:35:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm keeping mine though, as it fits into my quirky collection between my P7's, my Bond Bullpup, and the other misfit toys.
View Quote
Bond Bullpup? What is this Bond gun of which you speak?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Bond Bullpup? What is this Bond gun of which you speak?
View Quote
They bought the rights to the Boberg XR9 and fixed some of the issues. They sell it now as the Bond Bullpup.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I'll be down for one when CDNN has them for $300.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It wasn't that bad. I do think they made a mistake in the steel frame. It's heavy and I'm sure more expensive to manufacture. I get it probably helped sell the illusion of it being a good shooter. Aluminum definitely would have been a better choice.

Also they came at a weird time. Optics started getting big. And 1000 for a non optics-ready platform probably started to make less sense when folks like Glock have a 10mm mos for less than 700.

I think innovation requires the self control Kel tec shows with their products right now. Numbers less than perceived demand. Impessive feature sets and a more than fair MSRP.

If Kel tec did this same pistol it would likely be polymer with an optic mount and less than 500.

It would be ugly with a waffle grip. But it would make more sense on paper than Hudson did.
View Quote
kel tec also has the advantage of an established business making very simple firearms. Hudson started out by producing a very innovative advanced design, without having the manufacturing experiance or customer base first.

IF they would have started with simple, reliable, inexpensive CCW weapons and built a base they probably would have done fine...
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I wouldn't call it a scam, if they sold the world the pistol they wouldn't have been out of business. I got the feeling from the interviews they had everything tied up in it... Manufacturing shit is hard, even in the modern day, maybe more so. ask Desert Tech how the MDR is working out and Desert Tech already has products out.

I have a feeling its gonna be one of those "ahead of its time" things.

They seemed like great people from the interviews, I'm sure this is hard on them...
View Quote
This if your a small start up operation it's easy to fail even with something different
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

kel tec also has the advantage of an established business making very simple firearms. Hudson started out by producing a very innovative advanced design, without having the manufacturing experiance or customer base first.

IF they would have started with simple, reliable, inexpensive CCW weapons and built a base they probably would have done fine...
View Quote
Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not sure there was anything particularly advanced about the hudson other than the style. It is novel in the sense it's a striker fired steel framed gun, but I'm not sure its necessarily innovative- just that it has a niche that was otherwise unsatisfied by anything other than custom glock frames.  It does have a rather low set barrel, but that's not particularly innovative either- and the guns that have hung their hat on that alone have done somewhat poorly without something to make them stand out (chiappa rhino, arsenal's strike one, etc).
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It was bad timing with the market as a whole.

The firearms market has been in a bad slump for years now. Distributors and gun shops are going out of business. I would bet most of the established manufacturers are hurting.

This is a horrible time to be a small, independent startup.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Announcing the aluminum framed version at Shot last year, before it was ready to go, must have killed demand for the original.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Announcing the aluminum framed version at Shot last year, before it was ready to go, must have killed demand for the original.
View Quote
Good point.

thats what I was waiting for.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#38]
The most important feature of any weapon is reliability.  They should have tested more.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I had high hopes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I know I decided to wait.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#41]
It is probably a combination of a lot of stuff.

It is really hard to not just make and market a new, one-off design that is possibly expensive to produce, but when that is the only product you make and you are shouldered with apparently growing QC issues and bad press you have to rectify plus returns costing you money to fix and ship, plus R&D costs for your next gun you quickly find yourself in a sinking ship.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#42]
They should have called it the Hudson Hammerless like I told them.

Link Posted: 1/23/2019 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah same here.

I'm a huge fan of screwball guns.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah same here.

I'm a huge fan of screwball guns.
View Quote
I prefer to use the term sucker when referring to myself.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#45]
That was a nice looking handgun.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#46]
If it’s true, I’m sad to see them go, I was really hopeful that a new company could come in and compete in the industry and I think the gun looks awesome. I think some of it is just bad timing; with the ongoing salad days of bargain bin pricing on good quality guns it’s just hard to compete as a new manufacturer selling a premium product.

I mean, this is the sales environment which convinced H&K to *cut* prices on some of their pistols.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Horseshit.

It fit my hands beautifully, has been reliable, and shot with very very little muzzle flip, and has the best trigger I've encountered on a striker fired design.

People found it "underwhelming" because they wanted to.
View Quote
Well- you can hand a retard crayons and he'll think he's painted a masterpiece my friend. To the rest of us- it's a retarded drawing. If you want to keep on coloring with your crayons ? go right ahead. To the rest of us ? you're just a retard and so was that handgun. How's that company doing BTW ?

There ends the lesson.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#48]
From the ones I have handled through work...they aren't great at all..

We had to do a major RMA for all our customers that bought one...every mag in every gun had major issues...

Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#49]
I'll pick one up for a few hundred bucks if they get down there, was there ever a threaded barrel available?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm glad I bought mine.   It would be nice if they stayed in business, but I knew it was a risk and I have no ragrets.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top