Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Instead of the M4, what about a bunch of sneaky bastards with night vision+1903 being sent chuck norris special forces style around the flanks of the lines and terrorizing the enemy?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Would the glass that goes with high end 50's not have helped solved that part?

Night vision might have made a big difference.

Better optics might have helped. McBride had unbelievable vision.  He didn't seem to think he needed more magnification, but who knows?

Night vision would have been deadly.  They never imagined such a thing in those days.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, part of my thinking was that then an "Over The Top" assault occured, mass firepower by the advancing troops firing FA would have caused disruption possibly allowing them to advance. Do NOT get me wrong, it still would have been bloody and horrific but I seriously doubt at the time very little shooting was done by advancing troops until they reached the trench of the enemy. I would seriously have to think that most soldiers did not stop and reload via strippers on the way while under murderous MG fire and working a Bolt while running is not the easiest thing in the world. Especially while slipping and sliding in mud.

I can imagine it would have been somewhat effective IF artillery was dialed in correctly, at leat the first few times. After that I don't know. I have no doubt that losses would be high, and totally unacceptable in modern times, but back then, I can well imagine that they WOULD be acceptable.  There were very few light portable MGs back then one was able to lug at a fast pace as most were crew served [as today] and if one took out the ammo carrier you effectively limited the use of the gun. Don't get that confused with MGs tho, I'm talking about a weapon that was light enough to carry fast and shoot on the run, something that WW1 MGs were not all that good at. [No, the french POS was not reliable enought and changing mags was problematic enough standing still]

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... The UK did it by increasing the volume and size of artillery fire, ...

Just a note of interest here...

The British looked at failures of ground troops advancing across no-man's land, and thought they could help this by having bigger and better artillery barrages.  So, that's what they did.

Literally millions of rounds of artillery were fired before advances.

But they then found that the advancing troops were slowed down by the shell craters and mud and chunks of trees, etc, so badly that it only made them stay in the machine gun's sights longer.

More artillery proved to be a mixed blessing.  The torn-up landscape caused many deaths.

War teaches painful lessons.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#6]
With the tactics of the time, I think the AK would have been en excellent weapon.  It was designed for those type of  tactics, and would have been a great "trench hose".  Easy to keep running in that evriornment, too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I also wonder if Napolean would have won at Waterloo if he had a B-52, WTF.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want to learn more about WW1, watch this DVD --- The First World War

It's not a tactical history of the war, but a very good over-all view of what happend and why.

example:

Trench warfare may have been bad, but a running war (like the way it happened in the eastern front), ended-up killing more men.

The British didn't just learn how to use artillary, they coppied the French.

It's a good show about a bad war
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
But what are the advancing trrops going to shoot at?

The 'enemy' were in their shell proof bunkers and keeping their heads down while their artillery and MG's were raining fire onto no mans land, literally millions of bullets and thousands of shrapnel shell an hour. They would wait until your artillery stopped as your troops got near their front line to come out and man the parapets and pick off any survivors.

It was not until the British Artillery mastered the art of the rolling barrage that attacks became less costly. By 1918, British Artillery could drop its shell line accurately 50yds in front of the advancing troops and keep it there all across no mans land. The trick was to reach their front line before they could man their defences when the barrage lifted, seconds counted and could often mean the diference between a success and a slaughter.

ANdy

They could when they could see where the troops were, and communicate that to the batteries in a reasonable amount of time.   Otherwise there was the "timed lift" where the advancing troops had a schedule that needed keeping to, which was not a terribly good system.  I suppose you're right though, even men caught in a mistimed lift had a better chance I'd guess than most on the first day of the Somme.

ETA- a pic from the First Australian Division memorial on Pozieres Ridge, with the Thiepval memorial visible immediately to it's right.  Distance 1.5-2mi between the two I'd guess.  Flat terrain indeed.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder what metal detectors could find in these battlefields.

I also wonder how many tons of lead you could harvest!

Crazy.  Thanks to those who posted stories/pics.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I also wonder how many tons of lead you could harvest!

Crazy.  Thanks to those who posted stories/pics.

The french are still deminig the battlefield. The UXO is everywhere and quite a bit is Chemical.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Never mind that mouse gun foolishness...

BLOOP GUN

JUG / JABO / THUNDERBOLT

A1E SANDY

GET SOME!!!

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, part of my thinking was that then an "Over The Top" assault occured, mass firepower by the advancing troops firing FA would have caused disruption possibly allowing them to advance. Do NOT get me wrong, it still would have been bloody and horrific but I seriously doubt at the time very little shooting was done by advancing troops until they reached the trench of the enemy. I would seriously have to think that most soldiers did not stop and reload via strippers on the way while under murderous MG fire and working a Bolt while running is not the easiest thing in the world. Especially while slipping and sliding in mud.

I can imagine it would have been somewhat effective IF artillery was dialed in correctly, at leat the first few times. After that I don't know. I have no doubt that losses would be high, and totally unacceptable in modern times, but back then, I can well imagine that they WOULD be acceptable.  There were very few light portable MGs back then one was able to lug at a fast pace as most were crew served [as today] and if one took out the ammo carrier you effectively limited the use of the gun. Don't get that confused with MGs tho, I'm talking about a weapon that was light enough to carry fast and shoot on the run, something that WW1 MGs were not all that good at. [No, the french POS was not reliable enought and changing mags was problematic enough standing still]

The 'enemy' were in their shell proof bunkers and keeping their heads down while their artillery and MG's were raining fire onto no mans land, literally millions of bullets and thousands of shrapnel shell an hour. They would wait until your artillery stopped as your troops got near their front line to come out and man the parapets and pick off any survivors.

It was not until the British Artillery mastered the art of the rolling barrage that attacks became less costly. By 1918, British Artillery could drop its shell line accurately 50yds in front of the advancing troops and keep it there all across no mans land. The trick was to reach their front line before they could man their defences when the barrage lifted, seconds counted and could often mean the diference between a success and a slaughter.

ANdy

But that's where a LW FA weapon would have been the bees knees, Imagine trying to work a Bolt action [they were quite good back then but one still has to recharge the weapon] while FA fire is directed into the trench and parapets. The ability to fire into a crowded area while not closing to hand to hand would seem to be quite debilitating to the defenders. [as it would to the attackers, but to rout a dug in position back then took what, a 4 to 1 manpower advantage?] Machine guns were feared and hated, an entire charge that consisted of basically nothing but, with proper artillery would seem to be quite  effective as compared to what existed at that time. Hence, the Pederson device, tho it was quite underpowered.[semi also]

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#16]

This would have made more difference than an M4.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

+1

Here is a peek at the concept of the Machine gun usage in WW1 by the British. During the Somme in 1916, a British unit advanced and then used it's machine guns to ward off a counter attack.

Vickers machine guns. Somme1916
10 guns, one million rounds, 12 hours, 100 barrels. (barrels were changed about once an hour)
one gun averaged 10,000 rounds per hour for 12 hours, no failures, all servicable at the end.

No gaps in firing to advance through........
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Good responses and GREAT THREAD!

Quite clearly, the reverse-slope indirect fire aspect of both arty and MG, and the very, very impressive bunker systems that (mostly) the Germans and the Allies had were responsible for the undescribable casualty levels.

Also a contributing factor was a decided lack of understanding by the men in charge on both sides that such warfare was a complete and utter black hole into which untold quantities of men, animals, and equipment would go. In fact, I have often thought that generals and presidents had NO UNDERSTANDING of how the industrialization of warfare created equal deadly efficiencies on both sides of the battlefield of equally advanced nations from about 1840 to 1918.

The lesson was an *expensive* one. The way out was, of course, creating better science, more battle efficiency, employing not just more destructive force but employing it with far greater precision.

The leverage of the tank and mobility and destructiveness of aircraft were the deathknell to the trench. The assault rifle appearing earlier than it did would have made little difference without supporting fire from modern weapons delivery systems.

Perhaps a more entertaining question should be, "What would have The Somme looked like with TacAir, radio coordination, and M1A2 Abrahms Main Battle Tanks."

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quite clearly, the reverse-slope indirect fire aspect of both arty and MG, and the very, very impressive bunker systems that (mostly) the Germans and the Allies had were responsible for the undescribable casualty levels.

Also a contributing factor was a decided lack of understanding by the men in charge on both sides that such warfare was a complete and utter black hole into which untold quantities of men, animals, and equipment would go. In fact, I have often thought that generals and presidents had NO UNDERSTANDING of how the industrialization of warfare created equal deadly efficiencies on both sides of the battlefield of equally advanced nations from about 1840 to 1918.

The lesson was an *expensive* one. The way out was, of course, creating better science, more battle efficiency, employing not just more destructive force but employing it with far greater precision.

The leverage of the tank and mobility and destructiveness of aircraft were the deathknell to the trench. The assault rifle appearing earlier than it did would have made little difference without supporting fire from modern weapons delivery systems.

Perhaps a more entertaining question should be, "What would have The Somme looked like with TacAir, radio coordination, and M1A2 Abrahms Main Battle Tanks."

Not disagreeing with you in the least. I consider WW1 to be a major fiesco of immense stupidity on the part of the Generals involved. Trying to use warfare tactics that were made moot by the use of artillery and MG fire using interlocking fields of fire was insane. Yet they did it over and over and over again. In the end flu, trenchfoot, infections and all the myriad illnesses were as much to blame for the end of the war as anything else.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Along with semi-auto fire came a change in tactics that eliminated the need for the trenches.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Looking at the numbers of dead in just WWI, What do you think the effect was on controlling population increase in today's times?  Imagine if all those killed in the war had survived and had 2 or 3 kids each, and each of their kids had kids.  

Is there any study that deals with war as a population control?

It is weird that we as a society have lost our stomachs for even a few deaths in war (see iraq), when tens of thousands used to die in one single battle.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Along with semi-auto fire Tanks and APCs came a change in tactics that eliminated the need for the trenches.

Fixed.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Looking at the numbers of dead in just WWI, What do you think the effect was on controlling population increase in today's times?  Imagine if all those killed in the war had survived and had 2 or 3 kids each, and each of their kids had kids.  

It is weird that we as a society have lost our stomachs for even a few deaths in war (see iraq), when tens of thousands used to die in one single battle.

That is the true Gulf War syndrome, if you ask me.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#24]
This is one of the best threads ever, but you guys are thinking to conventional. Small arms, artillery, armor and tactics did not end the great war, disease did. Dysentery, typhoid, malaria and flu ( precursor to the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918), not to mention lice and jiggers ran rampit in the trenches and armies. Sanitation and medical care was forced back to medieval levels  on the battle field.

The war ended in large part to there being no one left to fight it. Had the allies or anyone for that matter been able to come up with feasible biological weapons they could have unleashed them, then sat back and watched the enemy wither, all they would have to do is hold them in that state for an expended period of time. While without a doubt there would have been unintended deaths on both sides, like the chemical weapons that were used, where often the wind decided who won that days battle.

With warfare at the time very little was thought of collateral damage, biological, had it not been in it's infancy stage would have seemed an acceptable tactic. IMHO this is what happened except it was neither side that was able to do it but mother nature that claimed the ultimate victory.

Lions lead by Donkeys, very sad.......

ETA: Since this has become a some what of an WWYD thread, sorry did not mean to hijack. If I had my way and could go back in time armed with only the knowledge I have now, I would take a page from the Japs WW2 playbook. Induragbles (sic?) ( blimps) caring large loads of plague infested fleas, I would either shoot them down over enemy held positions or figure some way of delivering there payload. Now I know there are better types of biological warfare, but I'm going with something that could have been done using the technology of that time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The Social History of the Machine Gun goes into some detail on this point.  You can get some good snippets of the subject in the customer reviews on the Amazon link.  I think my copy just got bumped to the top of my re-reading list.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The British looked at failures of ground troops advancing across no-man's land, and thought they could help this by having bigger and better artillery barrages.  So, that's what they did.

But they then found that the advancing troops were slowed down by the shell craters and mud and chunks of trees, etc, so badly that it only made them stay in the machine gun's sights longer.

More artillery proved to be a mixed blessing.  The torn-up landscape caused many deaths.

Have you ever heard of the Battle of Verdun?

That was World War I's greatest Artillery Duel.

It was, to my knowledge, also one of the first instances where "Storm Troopers" were fully used by the Germans.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Having walked in impact areas, one also has to contend with all the extremely sharp frag aka shrapnel laying on the ground.  You can trip and fall in the rough terrain not only to get get stuck in mud but get impaled or sliced wide open by that steel.   With all the dead bodies and other waste out there, I guess a MG bullet or taking a good hit by frag from artillery would be preferable to the near garaunteed infection you were going to get if you got cut in the mud.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Small arms would make little difference in and of themselves.

The only "solution" to the trench warfare problem involved mechanized infantry/armor, air support, and accurate artillery.  Small arms don't matter when you're talking about running several hundred yards towards bunkered heavy machineguns.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Certain “think tanks” have used over population studies to predict conflicts before they happen. Rwanda and Haiti were labeled potential problem areas years before the killing started. Overpopulation leads to conflict if there is no relief valve.

I’ve also heard of Austrian officials bribing Italian Generals to send units into preplanned artillery barrages for the purpose of population control. Austria wanted and expected to get northern Italy back in WWI, but did not want the overpopulation problems.

The overpopulation of Italy began in the late 19th century when the new king ordered every village to have a physician and midwife. Suddenly the dozen or so babies a typical family would bury in the graveyard were surviving to adulthood and living in poverty.

I haven’t studied all of Europe, but I’m pretty sure the advances in medical science outpaced agriculture and industry universally. It was fairly easy for a 17th, 18th or 19th century family to feed two kids. But when 12 or 15 children sat down at the table there was just no way to properly feed them so hunger was much more common in 1900 than in 1800 or 1700.  

WWI was a population controller, both in the trenches and in the disease that killed even more indirectly.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Night vision would have been deadly.  They never imagined such a thing in those days.

Only for a short time.  Eventually, the other side would realize that night did not offer them protection and adjust accordingly.  It would be effective for snipers, but not for runs across the no-man's land - as noted earlier the MGs didn't even aim.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Chuck Norris could wipe out an entire division with an M-16 slingshot.

fixed
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:26:24 AM EDT
[#33]
A couple of points-

-Both sides fielded machine gun BATTALIONS!!!! Imagine, whole battalions of crew served machine guns, all lined up and waiting for you.

-Barbed wire was used extensivly for trench defence. It was though that arty would cut it up, but it only lifted it up, tangled it up, and dropped it right back down, making it totally impenitratable.

-The SMLE that British Empire forces used is one of, if not the, fastest firing bolt action rifle of all time.
Quote from www.public.asu.edu/~roblewis/SMLE/IIID2a11a4.html

It has been said about the Great War (1914-1918) that the Americans had the best "target" rifle, the Germans the best "hunting" rifle, and the British the best "battle" rifle. This is a fair assessment of the SMLE.

[BEN: Ah, but the French had the best "lampstand" rifle! The Lebel's tube magazine makes it *easy* to conceal the cord from the socket to the base.]

Its fast charger reloading, short bolt throw and 10-shot magazine - twice the capacity of its contemporaries - enabled the Lee-Enfield to deliver an effective volley of fire "accurate enough" for combat.

First experiencing the receiving end of Britain's "contemptible little army" (in which an infantryman was expected to fire 15 aimed shots in one minute, dubbed the "mad minute") in 1914, German Gen. Von Kluck thought his troops were being cut to ribbons by massed machine guns.

[BEN: Recent discussion (1994) on Usenet's 'rec.guns' group has revealed that the "14 shots per minute" figure may be somewhat *low*. Well- trained shooters, according to some of the Brit, Aussie, and Kiwi (NZ) folk thereabouts, insist that firing speeds up to 20 shots per minute (including reloading time) were not unusual. Hmmm...]

The rapidity of fire possible with the Lee-Enfield is more a function of its greater magazine capacity - simply not having to reload as often - than its ease of bolt operation.

The short bolt throw of the Lee-Enfield bolt could be an advantage for hastily-trained troops prone to "short-stroke" the bolt, but with a trained bolt-gunner, the advantage is more theoretical than real. An SMLE is less accurate than an '03 or M1, and maintaining a high rate of fire requires a bit more effort.

Also, the SMLE was made with rather loose tollerances, so that it could pretty much fire full of mud. I doubt that the tight standards of modern weapons could handle that kind of fouling.

- Bayonet charges were often made with UNLOADED wepons. Example- Australian charge at "The Nek" during the Gallipoli campaign in Turkey was made with unloaded rifles. The reason was that the officers knew that if a man stopped to fire, he'd be shot. The only possibility of survival would be to close with the enemy as quickly as possible and take his trenches at bayonet point. In this case, it didn't do them any good. 300 men from the Western Australian Light Horse (dismounted) were cut to ribbons in an area the size of a tennis court. The attack was a tactical failure, but a strategic success, as it created a diversion that allowed another British force to land on a nerby beach. Try an get hold of the movie "Gallipoli". It gives you some idea of what it was like. It stars a very young Mel Gibson, with his original Aussie accent!

- I reckon that about the only thing that could have broken the stalemate ith the technology available at the time could have been an amphibious landing behind the German trench lines. The British Grand Fleet controlled all of the waters between the Atlantic and Kiel, in Germany, and they definitly had the forces. The problem was, apart from lack of imagination, that they didn't have the proper tactics worked out. Gallipoli was a failure, and it would seem that it discouraged the allies from trying again.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:19:00 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A 100 men shooting M4's on full-auto running 800 yards across an open field towards MG fire would certainly have a better chance of making it to the enemy trench than a 100 men shooting bolt action rifles.

I can think of nothing more horrifying than to have been one of those men running towards the enemy trench.

The problem is that the amount of firepower the attacking infantry has in their hands makes zero difference in the run across no mans land.

You are charging into interlocking fields of fire from many HMG's firing across pre registered arcs, sited in bunkers that are proof againt anything short of a direct hit from a heavy (8"+) howitzer shell.

An eyewitness at the Battle of the Somme said it looked like the men advancing were walking into  heavy rain....Whole battalions were wiped out in a matter of yards.

On the Western Front if the artillery did not knock out a sufficient number of machine gun bunkers the attacks always stalled.

ANdy

I normally agree with you Andy, but in this case, I'm going to take you up on this.
I think the M-16 could have completely changed the nature of the WWI battlefield.  The whole point of the assault rifle is suppressive fire and it is capable of doing this at some distance.  What this means is that after the artillery barrage lifted, but before the German machine gunners had manned their guns, accurate suppressing fire could already be established from the opposing trenchline.  This suppressing fire could then be maintained as the attacking line moved forward.  

In fact, this concept was understood at the time but no technology existed to make it happen.  Experiments were indeed tried.  This was the very concept behind the idea of the Browning Automatic Rifle which was in fact used for exactly this purpose.  Unfortunately, it didn't work well, but this wasn't because the idea wasn't sound.  It was because the Browning could not be issued in sufficient numbers to make the idea of massed suppressing fire work and also because the Browning's mag only held twenty rounds.  These two problems added up to insufficient firepower.  So, the right concept existed at the time and I believe could very well have worked given better technology.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:36:48 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
So whats your opinion?

If you want to take back a weapon that would actually make a huge difference in WWI, take modern aircraft.

Precision guided bombs blowing up machine gun positions and artillery positions would have put the enemy in dire straits. Staying in their trenches would have meant certain doom and advancing would have meant certain doom, thus they would have retreated.

Trench warfare developed because of the multiple overlapping technologies and realities of the day. Introduce a modern element like aircraft and the whole thing goes away.

The M4 rifle would have made some impact, (like the German STMG44 did...) but it would not be enough in and of itself to fundamentally alter the tenor of the war. (Just like the STMG44)
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:42:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I understand the concept of indirect fire ...I guess I'm just having a hard time imagining a landscape completely devoid of cover or defilade or something allowing a sniper with an extremely long range weapon to get shots.  Say by not being in one of those predetermined areas?
It must have been hell on earth.

You must understand that the landscape was continually bombarded by massive artillery barrages. The only "cover" available was dead bodies, dead livestock, or the occasional shell crater that was deep enough to get you below the bullet line.

Everything else had been decimated. All the grass had been killed off and all that was left was mud enough to swallow a man to his waist.

Occasionally a remenant of a tree or something would be left standing, and the Germans would make use of that. They would, under the cover of darkness, put a fake tree with room for a sniper in its place. It worked well until someone figured out there was a sniper in the thing and put a machine gun on it.

Barbed wire was strung across no-man's land as were mines and various other nastiness. They called it no-man's land because it was almost literally true that nobody could survive out there. At night when it was dark enough you could do some limited stuff in no-man's land in small units.

A massive assault, however, would have been heard by the enemy and they would open up with machineguns.

WWI was an awful war.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:19:07 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So whats your opinion?

If you want to take back a weapon that would actually make a huge difference in WWI, take modern aircraft.

Precision guided bombs blowing up machine gun positions and artillery positions would have put the enemy in dire straits. Staying in their trenches would have meant certain doom and advancing would have meant certain doom, thus they would have retreated.

Trench warfare developed because of the multiple overlapping technologies and realities of the day. Introduce a modern element like aircraft and the whole thing goes away.

The M4 rifle would have made some impact, (like the German STMG44 did...) but it would not be enough in and of itself to fundamentally alter the tenor of the war. (Just like the STMG44)

Well I chose the M-4/16 because it would have been possible for something to have been built that could approximate it. If you handed JMB one I would lay a bit of money that he would have been able to reverse engineer it. With modern day aircraft and smart munitions to include electronics systems, I doubt that they would have been able to because the technology to build it did not exist.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:19:16 AM EDT
[#38]
M-4's................ especially with M203's could make a huge differecne.

The US only had 1 individual weapon, that was portable, and capable of automatic fire, the BAR. I don't know that any of the other powers had automatic weapons, firing full power rifle rounds, that were capable of automatic fire.

US forces supposedly were trained to "Indian crawl", aka low crawl, whiel advancing under fire. It was the start of "I'm up, they see me, I'm down".

It meant that advancing forces not only had to advance toward prepared defensive positions, with MG's,  and direct fire artillery weapons, but they often didn't have any effective covering fire.

Imagine your M4 equipped company getting 100 yards from the enemy trenches, and 50 M4's opening up to supress the nearest enemy MG's, while the other 50 advance several yards, then they take over the suppresive fire, and the other 50 begin moving up.................... Much different than what 100 soldiers with M1903's would be able to do. Espcecially if some 40mm grenades are getting fired too.

Once the trench is breached, instead of bayonet-bayonet CQB, the M4 equipped troops would be able overwhelm the enemy. They would have a rate of fire, "handiness", and time between reloads advantage that would be huge.

The right tactics with M4 type weapons would go a long way................
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:54:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:12:31 AM EDT
[#40]
the m16/m4 are nice for fixed positions..but you have to keep in mind how deep those trenches were...and how muddy too..i think in a cleaner environment they would slaugter in ww1...but given the fact that  most positions were defended by mass amounts of mines and artillery fire..hense(no mans land)...plus the range on the m-16/m-4 are severley limited compared to the 03 sprinfeild...i know..i have one of the later models of it....however...full auto fire in the hands of every u.s. soldeir would be devistating to the enemy if we just sat and waited.....but when it came time to charge the other trenches and your gun jammed you would be screwed.....with your tiny bayonet on the m-16.no...i think every man in ww1 should have had the m-14....one guy in eight having an m-60.yes that would be fitting....then besides that...just roll over the top of them with m1a2 abrhams tanks. with their 105mm sabo rounds blowing the crap out of everything....yes...that would be nice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Another good trench rifle would have been the M2 Carbine.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
M-4's................ especially with M203's could make a huge differecne.

The US only had 1 individual weapon, that was portable, and capable of automatic fire, the BAR. I don't know that any of the other powers had automatic weapons, firing full power rifle rounds, that were capable of automatic fire.

The British had the Lewis gun...

US forces supposedly were trained to "Indian crawl", aka low crawl, whiel advancing under fire. It was the start of "I'm up, they see me, I'm down".

It meant that advancing forces not only had to advance toward prepared defensive positions, with MG's,  and direct fire artillery weapons, but they often didn't have any effective covering fire.

Imagine your M4 equipped company getting 100 yards from the enemy trenches, and 50 M4's opening up to supress the nearest enemy MG's, while the other 50 advance several yards, then they take over the suppresive fire, and the other 50 begin moving up.................... Much different than what 100 soldiers with M1903's would be able to do. Espcecially if some 40mm grenades are getting fired too.

Once the trench is breached, instead of bayonet-bayonet CQB, the M4 equipped troops would be able overwhelm the enemy. They would have a rate of fire, "handiness", and time between reloads advantage that would be huge.

The right tactics with M4 type weapons would go a long way................

Indirect machine gun fire and shrapnel shells would slaughter your attacks... an M4 does not make you immune to hundreds of thousands of bullets and pieces of shrapnel shredding every square yard of no mans land.

You cannot see the machine guns so you cannot shoot at them, they are sited in log and concrete gun pits behind the lines and firing over their own trenchlines in interlocking pre registered arcs.

ANdy

Again, there were many belt fed machine guns in WW-I. There were more than a few submachine guns.

BUT NO WEAPON ASIDE FROM THE BAR FIRED FULL POWER ROUNDS WAS PORTABLE AND AN AUTOMATIC WEAPON

The Lewis Gun, a light machine gun, was developed in the United States in 1911. At 12 kg it was far lighter than the Vickers Machine-Gun and in 1915 the British Army decided to purchase the gun for use on the Western Front. Another advantage of the Lewis is that six of these guns could be made in the time taken to produce one Vickers gun. Although too heavy for efficient portable use, it became the standard support weapon for the British infantry during the First World War.

Fully automatic weapon, firing a full power round, and carried/operated by 1 man.

Next, great, they did neat things with MG's. Apparently no trenches were ever breached.................... Oh wait trenches were breached. Often "trenches" were usually at least three independent trenches deep. Too "break out" all three had to be succesively defeated. Yet it happened time and time again.

It took manpower, artillery, tanks, etc. etc. but it was "doable". An M4 in the hands of the advancing troops could help give them a higher rate of fire while moving, and once they were into the enemy trench.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:57:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#44]
The Lewis was arguably the best LMG of the war.. Good enough that the Germans were more than happy to field every captured example they could find.. Stormtroops especially appreciated them.

The BAR was cute and all, but US troops fielded more Lewis and Chauchats than BAR's.  The Lewis also had the advantages of a top loading drum (easier to change prone), and 32 round magazines.  They are very portable, and very usable by one man (though they were fielded with teams of ammo bearers and an ass't gunner).  

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#45]

While the M4/M16 would not make much of a difference to the soldier while crossing no-mans land, once he got into the enemy trenches and was engaged in CQB, he would be worth 10 soldiers armed with bolt action rifles. He would also have a better chance to hold against the resulting counter attacks and bayonet charges while his artillery and machineguns were moved and adjusted to cover him in his new forward positions. It would essentially speed up the pace of the battlefield. If moving fast enough, the M4 equipped soldiers could get far enough back in the enemy lines that the enemy could no longer use artillery and machines without hitting their own troops. The enemy lines would  be broken. Repeated over and over the face of the battlefield would change.  WWI CQB weapons consisted of bayonets, a few submachineguns, and pistols.  They would be no match for M4 armed troops.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

And yes, 'breakthroughs' if you can call them that were made before the widespread use of the tank. You would have a big offensive along the front that might capture a mile if you were lucky of enemy trenches, and lose half a million casualties doing it. Then the other guy would go on the counter offensive and roll you back and he would lose half a million casualties doing it. And that was WWI in a nutshell……see-saw warfare that cost millions of lives for no tangible gain.

ANdy

That was part of the tactics involved at the time. It was "set-piece" warfare, where they would try and advance on a wide front, as opposed to WW-II where "spearheads" were used to concentrate the offensive power of the attacker, and exploit breakthroughs in the enemies line.

When the US initially got involved, they fought the way the Europeans had been fighting. Each unti was responsible for so much area, and WAS NOT to deviate from the area they were assigned.

So each company might have 100 yards, a battalion 500 yards, and a regiment 1500 yards. Each unit was solely responsible for it's area. If the regiment next door was getting waylaided, that was thier own business.

General Hunter Liggett (sp) changed that. US Army units started being givne freedom to respond to attacks outside their area of responsibility, by providing supporting fire, or mving towards the battle. They also started doing the same thing on the attack. If one unit reported they were breaking through, other units could shift to support or join in the break through.

How many times in WW-I did you hear of an "encirclement" battle?

Tactics............................................
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top