Quoted:

Sounds like you waste a lot of meat.

Like, almost half of it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
2. As soon as possible I hang the deer in my garage, remove the hide and cut out the tenderloin, backstrap and rear hams. Everything else goes in the garbage. 

Sounds like you waste a lot of meat.

Like, almost half of it.

No shit. I hate seeing people be so wasteful. When we are done basically all that's left is the ribcage meat, and we leave those out for the cats and chickens to clean up.

My dog one time went out wandering and found a scrap pile somewhere, he brought home some rear quarters that someone boned out, they left all but the big easy cuts right on the bone, pounds of waste, it was disgusting.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd love to try some of the aged game folks are taking about. Around here, we kill it, quarter it and throw it on ice for a few days. You can't trust the weather to leave anything hanging.
View Quote

I've never really noticed a difference. The only difference would be when dad gets a nice mature buck, they definitely have a different taste to them than a doe or young buck.

We've hung them from zero days to well over a week and it all tastes the same to me when processed.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I hang it up and skin it out, bone the meat while it's still a whole deer, throw it all in a cooler with ice if it's warm. When I get home I pull it all out and put it in a tub, clean out the cooler, rinse all of the meat and put it back in the cooler. Back straps and tenderloins get chunked up for soup/stir fry/fajita meat, the rest goes to my processor the following day for jerky, summer sausage, bacon and burger.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I gut it in the nearest cleared out out spot to where it falls and skin and quarter it at home while it is still warm. That's about all my back can take for the day so the quarters and back straps go in bags and go into a cooler full of ice for a couple of days until my back will let me cut the quarters in to steaks, roasts and stew meat. That all gets vacuum sealed and put into the freezer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#5]
So it seems most let their meat hang (if you have the space and enviroment) or pull meat off ASAP and get on ice for a few days.

Soaking in ice water seemed odd to me.

I've always taken the meat off and set in the refridgerator for a few days. Just wondering what others were doing.

Thanks.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top