Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Brake checking is stupid for two reasons

1. If he doesn't hit you then obviously he was not a danger. So how much of that tailgating was just your opinion?

2. If he does hit you you have just caused an accident and regardless if he was too close and may be responsible in the eyes of the law you now have a damaged car and possible injuries or death.

So grow  up and let them pass...they may be wrong and assholes but don't stoop to their level.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#2]
If you aren't actively passing, you should be in the right lane. Then no one would need to tailgate you. Slow driving dickbags who camp in the passing lane deserve to be dragged from their cars and beaten to death.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#3]
It amazes me the amount of inept drivers out there in the far left lane trying to control the flow of traffic as though they own the road. Compensating for something me thinks. Or looking for a confrontation.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just get the fuck out of the way. Why is this so difficult??
View Quote

So, does this include getting out of your way when I'm waiting on the guy in front of me to move so I can go faster, myself?
Or should everyone between you and the guy holding the lane up six cars up bail to the right?

If you are within a car length of the 3rd back from the slow guy at highway speeds, you are a douche.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you aren't actively passing, you should be in the right lane. Then no one would need to tailgate you. Slow driving dickbags who camp in the passing lane deserve to be dragged from their cars and beaten to death.
View Quote

People tailgate in the right hand lane all the time, too.

I don't brake check people, but I do take my foot off the gas and coast until they back up or pass me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

You realize this isn't always an option...I drive 99% of the time on curvy 2 lane roads with a tiny shoulder and I have people ride my ass even when I'm doing 15mph over the speed limit. I'm not driving on the tiny shoulder and grass where all the glass beer bottles are because some dumbass has to go 20mph over vs my 15, he can back the fuck off and wait till a passing zone when I'll slow down for a minute and let him pass.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Marbles out the window work well  just sayn
View Quote

Hmm?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hmm?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Marbles out the window work well  just sayn

Hmm?

I'm guessing it's yet another shit head suggestion for petty vandalism.   Break windshields and such.

The thread about the porsche and parking had a lot of people fessing up to shit like pulling valve stems and keying cars.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Used to pull a trailer with open wheel wells for work, I would swing the trailer onto the shoulder and kick rocks everywhere. Always worked for tailgaters
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I find that going at least the posted speed limit and getting in the right lane when I am not passing helps a lot.
View Quote
I do that, and still get tailgated. Some people are just assholes. Petulant whiney hissy-fit children, operating a potentially dangerous motor vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Used to pull a trailer with open wheel wells for work, I would swing the trailer onto the shoulder and kick rocks everywhere. Always worked for tailgaters
View Quote

So because in your mind someone was too close to your shitty trailer,  you try to cause actual damage to their vehicle?  And they're the asshole?

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just pull over and let them go by. Works every time.
View Quote

Which is fine and advisble if you are staring at clear freeway but if you are in traffic or on a single lane highway it may be impractical.. also from a strictly moral perspecrive why give up your place in traffic to the guy behind you thus validating their road bullying - that would seem to validate and encourage the behaviour.  Again in the context other than clear freeway.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#14]
My best way of dealing with tailgaters is to drop a gear, throttle up and slam the trailer brakes.

8 tires at full lock up at 70MPH produces a TON of smoke and the need for clean undies
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Drive the speed limit and back off
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Looks like we have a few Type A's already in this thread.

View Quote
Passive-aggressive left-lane-camping douchewaffles, too.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

I drive the speed limit in the right lane and have shitheads constantly up my ass.  I ignore them for the most part.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#18]
If you are in the right lane of a two lane highway, they should pass on the left. No reason to tail gate.

I don't know how many times I get on the freeway, usually 4 - 5 lane, and there are retards and or old people driving 60mph in the number 2 lane.  65 mph speed limit.

Number 1 left lane is always the fast lane/passing lane, then number 2 lane = speed limit +, number 3 and 4 for slower/merging drivers. If you are going to drive slow, stay in the number 3 or 4 lanes. I see people passing them quickly on both the left and right lanes, kind of dangerous. Talk about rolling road block
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I just cancel the cruise control and gently press the parking brake (no brake lights w parking brake). Usually gets them to back off, if someone is following close but jot right on my ass I try to move over asap to let them by.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have seen quite a few threads on this scourge of society.

Tailgaters

1)  Moving my vehicle as far left as possible in my lane seems to block the vision of the tailgater behind me and 70% of the time they back off.

2)   I will do a brake check  

Everyone has seen events get out of control . Roadrage  My way of creating

I go to Plan D.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tailgaters

1)  Moving my vehicle as far left as possible in my lane seems to block the vision of the tailgater behind me and 70% of the time they back off.

2)   I will do a brake check  

Everyone has seen events get out of control . Roadrage  My way of creating

I go to Plan D.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#21]
WTF is wrong with some of you people?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

How  about "quit driving like a ninny bitch/GTFO of the way"? OP is guaranteed to have handicap tags, a stack of phone books on the driver's seat to see over the wheel, and a vagina

Ride the rumble strip. Windshield full of gravel for those following too close.

ETA - https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5264/5645202092_1329355ee4_z.jpg
View Quote
... that's a handsome piece of hardware!

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I agree with what others have said, just grow up and get the fuck out of the way.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Tailgaters are just as dangerous as someone going too slow.

We all have our stories but I want quick fixes to this problem only in this thread. I will go first.

2)  If nothing else works, I will do a brake check using the vehicle in front of me. I will wait for them to turn or come to a stop and wait until the last second to hit my brakes. Reason for this is it isn't perceived as an  "intentional brake check".

Everyone has seen events get out of control when the tailgatee brake checks the tailgater. Roadrage ensues and that is dangerous for everyone on the road at that point. My way of creating an emergency situation where I have to do an emergency stop lets the idiot tailgater behind me better understand  the dangers and possible results of following too closely.

If those two steps don't work, I go to Plan D.

View Quote

just get out of the way and stop endangering everyone else on the road. move to left lane. make the pass. move back over. i have been tailgated on a single lane highway. i just pull over and let them pass. what is wrong with you that you would intentionally cause and accident. i hope the nsa sees your thread and has your license suspended.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I just let them go around if they are that motivated. near where I live a little town called Mt.Pleasant PA
tailgating is a sport , everyone does it. I have seen the police chiefs cruiser going down main st with a geo

metro rammed up his ass and 5-6 cars behind that all a dollar bill thickness apart.

Nothing like being at a red light with a tri-axle behind you and you can read the Mack part number molded into the

headlight bezel. They are good at it here. Out of towners get pretty rattled by it.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The best thing I have found is get the hell out of their way and let them hit someone else.

As crazy as some are these days, I see no reason to elevate a situation to something I might regret later.
View Quote

this some of the best advice i have seen in gd in a long time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How about GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY!!!
OP What’s sad is you think you’re in the right.
View Quote

Even if he's going slower than you want, why is that an excuse for driving too close?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n831Icj-828

but don't really do this
View Quote

Ipotato
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I do that, and still get tailgated. Some people are just assholes. Petulant whiney hissy-fit children, operating a potentially dangerous motor vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I find that going at least the posted speed limit and getting in the right lane when I am not passing helps a lot.

I'm generally 130%+ of the speed limit but even at 90 there'll be some asshole that wants to drive too close.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I let them pass me. And I by no means drive slow either!
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#32]
If am going the speed limit and can move I will.

If I am already speeding and your on my ass I slow down until you back off or go around.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I found after moving to Ohio, that people here drive right on your bumper all the time.  And I mean, all the time.
It doesn't matter what speed you are going. 5 mph, 100 mph, the car behind you is right on your ass. That is just how they drive here. I am not driving slow by any means. I am doing at least the speed limit. But again, my speed doesn't matter. If I slow down, they slow down and not pass. They just feel comfortable driving six inches off your back bumper.
I am talking about where you sometimes can't even see their hood in your rear view mirror.
I don't care if it's in town, on a freeway, in the snow, right lane, left lane, gravel road, dirt road, off road,  whatever.

I have gotten used to it now, but when I first moved here it made me very nervous. If anything happens, I don't know how they expect to be able to stop. But, all that being said, I don't really see a whole lot of traffic accidents so maybe they know what they are doing ?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:30:23 PM EDT
[#34]
410 cubic inches + blown-out glasspacks + too much carb has worked for me.
ETA: plus it is really hard to drive slow with that setup.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#35]
you could just get the fuck out of the way instead of being a traffic justice warrior

or

You could focus on your own drive and they will go away eventually
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You're partially what's wrong with the world.

Why people can't learn the very basics of driving is amazing. Thankfully it's mostly an east coast thing.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/AR-15_Paul/994823_10151716630554555_1351438206_n_zpsc5f0fa2c.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You're partially what's wrong with the world.

Quoted:If nothing else works, I will do a brake check using the vehicle in front of me. I will wait for them to turn or come to a stop and wait until the last second to hit my brakes. Reason for this is it isn't perceived as an  "intentional brake check".

Why people can't learn the very basics of driving is amazing. Thankfully it's mostly an east coast thing.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/AR-15_Paul/994823_10151716630554555_1351438206_n_zpsc5f0fa2c.jpg

The combination of humidity and mosquitoes must make them stupid.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#37]
There are tailgaters do not want to go faster than you, they just use you for speed control.  I have had many come up on me fast and then ride there for miles when they have had many clean and boring opportunities to pass.

Of you live in hilly country I have found you can drop them off by slowing before a hill, then at the base of the hill speed up.  By the time they wake up and see the gap growing they don't seem to want to punch it enough to catch up.

These are the inattentive dick types rather than the "I  must be in front" types.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#38]
On the rare occasions when some dork insists on tailgating me in the right lane, a good look at the chrome triple hitch/recovery hook sticking out the ass end of my truck eels to calm them down.

If you're in the left lane and getting tailgated, you're very likely the fuckup

Quoted:

Looks like we have a few Type A's already in this thread.

View Quote

So only the "Type A" people weren't sleeping or jerking off in Driver's Ed. Is that what you're saying
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#39]

I believe the way people drive these days is simply a reflection of where we are as a society.
"Gimme what I want, fuck everybody else."
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If those two steps don't work, I go to Plan D.

View Quote

Plan D?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

GD where the entertainment never stops.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I just pull over and let them go by. Works every time.
View Quote

I had one the other night tailgating so close that I often couldn't see his headlights, on high beam, and I pulled over to let him by.

Asshole stopped.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#43]
I drive a diesel
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Poor tailgaters.  I feel so sorry you have to slow down for other traffic.  The other day I was driving home, 3 lanes wide, bumper to bumper traffic.  I, along with a couple of thousand other drivers, am in the left lane.  Traffic stops, as it often does, and I put on my brakes when I see the carS in front of me putting on their brakes.  Jerk on my ass doesn't see the other carS slowing down because he's too close to me and has to pull into the left hand off road area because he's following too close to stop in time to keep from running into me and those in front of me.  He's all pissy.

Welcome to the real world.  You can't drive 30 MPH over the speed limit in any lane when it's stop and go, bumper to bumper in ALL lanes.  Tailgating isn't going to make anyone move over when there's no place to go.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You realize this isn't always an option...I drive 99% of the time on curvy 2 lane roads with a tiny shoulder and I have people ride my ass even when I'm doing 15mph over the speed limit. I'm not driving on the tiny shoulder and grass where all the glass beer bottles are because some dumbass has to go 20mph over vs my 15, he can back the fuck off and wait till a passing zone when I'll slow down for a minute and let him pass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's because they're sick in the head.  If you were doing 100 mph they would do the same thing.

Peoples lack of patience and common courtesy on both counts is the real issue here.  Tailgaters and slow drivers.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI

And OP, if you're getting tailgated often, the problem might be you.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Break checking is stupid for two reasons

1. If he doesn't hit you then obviously he was not a danger. So how much of that tailgating was just your opinion?

2. If he does hit you you have just caused an accident and regardless if he was too close and may be responsible in the eyes of the law you now have a damaged car and possible injuries or death.

So grow  up and let them pass...they may be wrong and assholes but don't stoop to their level.
View Quote

Sorry to dissapoint, but that is not accurate.  In Texas the person who rear ended the other vehicle would likely be found to be at fault for following to close.  Not saying that they would receive a citation, just that they would be found to be at fault for the crash.

That's how most of the crashes like this that I have investigated have written up.  Then again, I have never had a driver fess up to brake checking the vehicle in back.  I would have to consult the TX DPS CR-100 for guidance if someone ever did.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If am going the speed limit and can move I will.

If I am already speeding and your on my ass I slow down until you back off or go around.
View Quote

While driving on a local 2 lane highway, I bet well over 90% of the drivers on the road want to go faster than I drive. The line of cars and trucks behind me just have to wait until the next passing lane becomes available, and I do drive the speed limit and sometimes a little above it.

It appears to me, that everyone else a lead foot.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Basically you can't control how other people drive, this goes for tailgaters and tailgatees. If someone's right up your ass, slow down and move over if possible, get them to pass. Or pull off, let 'em by. Get rid of the fuck that way.  If someone's driving too slow pass them the fuck up, move over and hit the gas when you can safely do so, don't be scared Shirley. It's not their job to get out of your way no matter what lane you think you own. Just face it they aren't going to, get around them and get going.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top